Macross DYRL: Proper English Fandub

Hikuro

Hopefully this isn't a sour topic, but I just watched your dub Hikuro (via youtube), and I thought it was brilliant. I have a question that probably exposes the noob that I am, but at the beginning of the film when the Zentradi are talking there are what appears to be Japanese subtitles under your subtitles. Was the Zentradi dialog in Japanese or another language which required the subtitles?

The Zentraedi language in the movie is a created language, and therefore, needed subtitles in the movie. They were hard written into the animation I believe, so Hikuro did a great job of fixing that as best as possible.

Hopefully this isn't a sour topic, but I just watched your dub Hikuro (via youtube), and I thought it was brilliant. I have a question that probably exposes the noob that I am, but at the beginning of the film when the Zentradi are talking there are what appears to be Japanese subtitles under your subtitles. Was the Zentradi dialog in Japanese or another language which required the subtitles?

Were you watching the one on Doug Bendo's channel?

Boinger actually did the subtitle work on that variant. He tried his best to match it to the audio but somewhere down the line it just didn't sync up like he wanted. The one I did was much better as I went over it with Adobe Premiere which I got the most bad ass version at work so i used that. I added a lot of fine touches to much that I think made it a Macross fans wet dream come true.

For the Zentraedi subtitles I used a nice readable font and thickened the outline strokes so it covered 98% of the Japanese translated text of the Zentraedi. Gave a similar but less stroked subtext for the music, and each song got a different style of font so it kept it nice and fresh. I also did my best for the prolouge opening to match it's speed and producing a quick synopsis of the events leading to the films opening.

I also did a brand new audio track that was much more faithful of respectful to the original audio to the best of my abilities compared to my first variant. Some day I'll probably put little clips up once all this blows over, maybe before new years if I'm lucky. But I'm not promising ANYTHING.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well guys I have some sad news to report. Last month I was about to go thru my hard drive cause i was thinking maybe it's time to bring back snippits of DYRL 2.0 and maybe experiment with ways of bringin the entire film back.

Well, as I said I was about to go thru the hard drive and I found out the USB receiver port was broken right off. I took the drive apart, found the part I needed but sadly, no one makes it anymore it's out of date.

I've been in talks with someone who sold me the wrong main board and they're currently trying to send me something of the equivalence of it so I can transfer all data onto a new HDD.

It would seem I have completely lost the film, and all other projects I ever had set aside.

I know a few of you guys had downloaded the 2.0 dub since it's release last year. If anyone still has it, please notify me as I may need to get the file from you so it can be archived and kept safe so something like this doesn't happen again.

Can you post a pic of the broken part? Is it something you could get off of a used hard drive?

All the parts are at work since that's where all my tools are. Honestly I dunno if it's something i can get off a used hard drive. The person I bought the first main board from is sending me another one that's from Toshiba claiming it could work. What I had before was a Seagate and I believe those are encrypted, at least I know they are now.

What irks me off though is the person i bought the first board from, I told them exactly what I was looking for, and I'm on their page and they got the stupid correct board! I just feel like I'm being jerked around.

• 1 month later...

Hikuro,

Any news on getting the drive fixed? I would be willing to bet you could get a used Seagate drive off ebay of the exact same model.

Last year I bought the Western Digital passport solid state 1TB drive off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E83X9P8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1395369189&sr=1-1

No complaints yet other than my PC isn't USB 3.0 so transfer speeds are limited to 2.0

Yeah I've recovered my drive completely now, I managed to get a toshiba control board and a 1 TB buffalo hard drive which are REALLY high quality, love these things, use them a lot at work.

Films been recovered and all that stuff, but I have no intentions on bringing it back. I tried to bring back a movie not long ago and the SAME law firm hit me again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...