Yamato 1/200 Scale Macross Collection Figures

Graham

Thought I would start a dedicated thread for these, rather than having them lumped in with the 1/60 Tomahawk thread.

Here's what I know and can say so far:

This is series one. There will be several other series.

Series one consists of the YF-19 in 3 modes, the VA-3M Invader in 3 modes, Hikaru's VF-1J in 3 modes and one mystery chase figure in 3 modes.

Each VF comes in Fighter mode, Battroid Mode and Gerwalk Mode. Display bases are supplied with each figure. The Battroids and Gerwalks can stand without the bases if desired IIRC.

The figures are constructed of ABS and PVC. Yamato made sure to use ABS for the wings, to avoid saggy/warped wing syndrome associated with PVC.

The figures are molded in one color plastic, with other colors painted on. The Fighter and Gerwalk Canopies are seperate clear plastic pieces rather than just being painted on.

There is some minimal articulation, i.e. the arms can rotate on the shoulder pegs, but that's about it.

AFAIK, these will be blind packed.

As well as the more mainstream Macross TV & OVA mecha, Yamato will also release several of the more obscure VFs in this line, such as the VA-3M, that have never been released in toy for before.

Graham

post-11-1203741581_thumb.jpg

So let me get this straight, each box will contain either the YF-19, VF-1J, or the VA-3M in the three modes and each box is blind packed so there's no telling what you'll get?

I guess I will either have to wait and order the ones that have been confirmed or wait for someone here to sell their extras.

And I'd be willing to bet that we'll see not only Max and Millia's VF-1J's but their VF-22's from Mac 7 as well.... *drools*

-Kyp

Small? Yes, but affordable. According to the text each one is about 6 to 9 cm long in fighter mode, but they are only 473 yen each.

All I am hoping is that they come in a case of 10, with one of each (including the "Secret Item") in every case, so that you can collect the entire series by just purchasing an entire case.

Looking at the assortment of this series 1, I would like to speculate that future series will allow the VF-4G Lighting III to be a member of the "obscure" branch...

Come to think of it, 1/200 is big enough for the technically savvy folks to turn them into "full articulation" figures. MechTech, I can hear your screams of joy.

LeDudeModele

I'm not sure yet if each box will contain all three modes. More likely, each box will hold only one mode of one type of VF. So pick one box at random and you get a YF-19 Gerwalk for example.

Graham

Oh wow, in that case, I'm definitely gonna make sure I know what I'm getting before I order them, or like I said waiting for someone here to sell their extra's.

Man, this is great, they can make just about ANY Valk from all the series and OVA's...the possibilities are limitless. B))

-Kyp

Why it can't be 144th scale? Why Yamato always jumped out for an odd scale!

Maybe they hate modelers. 1/72 was good, 1/48 was good, lots of other kits in those scales and accessories and great stuff for dioramas, but 1/60? WTF? I like the size but there is nothing else in the world in that scale! I agree that 1/200 is a bizarre choice when 1/144 is so standard and and about as small as one ought to get. Maybe it is some sacred numerology joojoo?

Well, as for the 1/60 scale, I'm pretty sure that one of their reasons was because the Mac 0 and Mac Plus toys came out to be about the same size as the 1/48's when made in 1/60 and they didn't want to make them any bigger than that, so they decided on 1/60.

As for the 1/200....I haven't the slightest idea why they went with that.

-Kyp

Graham, thanks for keeping us clued in and not in suspense! Many thanks!!!

LeDudeModele, you heard me yelling all the way to Canada, I better chill out B)).

I think the reason the other toys are 1/60 is that it seems to be a popular scale in Asia. Even Votoms stuff was available in 1/60. We're not the only fanatics.

A little background on why 1/200. In Europe during WWII and afterwards, a 1/200 scale model is the size a fighter would be at arms length (simulated) if you engaged him in combat. There were many kits in that scale from then on afterward. 1/200 is now very popular for conventional aircraft; military and civilian. Plus it is small and takes up very little room. Less plastic, more profit. Less space on the shelf too (Japan isn't known for having giant living spaces). Plus they're really cool looking that small - IMHO B)).

Maybe they hate modelers. 1/72 was good, 1/48 was good, lots of other kits in those scales and accessories and great stuff for dioramas, but 1/60? WTF? I like the size but there is nothing else in the world in that scale! I agree that 1/200 is a bizarre choice when 1/144 is so standard and and about as small as one ought to get. Maybe it is some sacred numerology joojoo?

Not 100% sure but I've heard that 1/60 Yamatos don't look that odd size-wise next to 1/72 scale diecast aircraft.

Bandai's HCM Pro Gundam toys and Herpa's diecast fighter planes are in 1/200 scale. Yamato's 1/200 VFs should complement them quite nicely!

I haven't seen carrier stuff (please share if you have) but... http://store.houseofhobbies.com/he1acgrsueq.html and http://store.houseofhobbies.com/he1acairfope.html click on the photos to enlarge them. I've got them and they're great! Add some orange paint to the figures and voilla! - MT

Will the fighter mode models have landing gears?

Nope, no landing gears. There's only so much you can do to a 1/200 scale toy priced at under ¥500.

And personally, given the choice of landing gear or no landing gear I prefer no landing gear, as I think Valks always look much better in flight.

Graham

Well that $ucks. Not even landing gear pegs to assemble it yourself?

Since they're made of plastic, perhaps they can be "reworked". Maybe use one of the F-toys Valk for parts...

But yeah, it would've been nice to have landing gears. Won't stop me from buying these though.

Hmmmm......... Chess pieces ha? :D not a bad idea but...

nope, i like my 1/144 scale. I may buy some extras from ppl here on the forums, but wil never buy a box.

Like say, buy battroid pieces of your kings and queens, and pawns can be fighter modes or something like that.

Yes, G-man, stuff is better displayed in flight, please explain that to your yamato box art guy friend before he does the YF-21 ok? :)

I must admit the YF-19 25th anniversary box art is really nicely done though (front flap).

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

did i hear something about chase figures? as cheap as these are, unless theres some kind of guarantee that says if i buy a whole box i'll get a complete set, its pointless to collect these. you end up having to buy 3 boxes to make one complete set, its stupid.

Is it me or does anyone else think the VF-1 battloid looks like something taken from an ancient 80's mold?

Oh I'm with ya on that. I don't care for it <_<

:ph34r:

I hate this blind packed crap - a shitty way to do business. Are there any online store that sell a set after they open and check each box? They are easy to find in HK, but not online.

They are supposed to be a fun little diversion, like the old coin op grocery store "toy in a ball" machines, and they get to soak collectors and completists for plenty of cash if they want to get every one. I was amazed by the number of stores in Akihabara that cater solely to reselling these collection figures in clear plastic bags so you can see what you are getting.