Sdf-1 (tv) 3d Model

mac666er

Nomake Wan,

What you are seeing is the largest problem with making the design look 'real', the design itself. In order for it to begin to look like a 'real' starship virtually every bit of the design would have to be changed or altered alot. But right now what's missing is the lack of textures, and anybody who's done 3d knows you don't start applying them until the object is finished.

However what's making it look like a toy is the render engine itself with it's grain, and that makes it look like an older picture from film cameras.

mac666er, I'd reduce the gap around those side 'panel' areas because the gap is more then enough for several people to fall through! ;) I'd also think about reducing the amount of round that the corners get because it's starting to throw the scale off on the current smaller objects.

Did you get that PM, btw? HTH's!

Hi Folks, no I didn't die... I just hit a wall with my hardware as it refuses to render the whole model, so I have had to come with ways around that. Anyway, here is the whole model so far, untextured obviously as it took 8 hours to render and the quality is not that high. The 'speckles' you see are artifacts of the renderer as it needs more time to clean the image.

I'd reduce the gap around those side 'panel' areas because the gap is more then enough for several people to fall through!

Done :D

As for the future... I'll submit as before parts of my progress and see whare that leads.. as it will take better hardware or a LOT of time to render this baby....

Anyway enjoy...

mac

sdf_16.jpg

Edited by mac666er

It looks really, really sweet.

Good luck figuring out the CG modelling program - and best of luck getting a working skin that has the same matte colouring as the above image.

Though... the left-most engine block (on the picture above*) is missing some of the cowling around the engine thruster...

*The one on the right side, when looking at the model from the rear.

Though... the left-most engine block (on the picture above*) is missing some of the cowling around the engine thruster...

*The one on the right side, when looking at the model from the rear.

Done, I think my renderer got out of memory. I did see that the piece was missing but I ddidn't redo the render since it takes so long.

I worked on the bridge and here is a small update. Hope u like it.

As always comments are welcome.

mac

sdf_19_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Incredible work

One thing I love about these CG models is the fact that they can look like primered resin or plastic model kits. If I knew anything about CG I'd never even color them in :p

Next best thing to actually breaking them out of the box.

It would be cool to have a virtual model kit program with all the pieces from a real one scanned in :)

Anyhow-can't wait to see more!

Shawn

Have any of you guys doing the renders ever thought of exporting the files through a 3D printer? There are companies that can do it pretty cheap.

I have. The cheapest I've seen is nearly 300 for a low quality printing of around 10-12 inchs. Just for the hull alone. And this doesn't even cover the prep work needed for getting the model ready to go to the printer for inspection & conversion. Lots of preps and equally lots of post work and not really worth it unless you get a sizable model done with a laser 3D printer. $$$ :blink:

Mainly the prep work is the killer because you have to build your models like you would for a tradional model builder only digitally. :wacko:

I have. The cheapest I've seen is nearly 300 for a low quality printing of around 10-12 inchs. Just for the hull alone. And this doesn't even cover the prep work needed for getting the model ready to go to the printer for inspection & conversion. Lots of preps and equally lots of post work and not really worth it unless you get a sizable model done with a laser 3D printer. $$$ :blink:

Mainly the prep work is the killer because you have to build your models like you would for a tradional model builder only digitally. :wacko:

Which printer are you looking to use? the one that uses the liquid resin thats cured by UV or the one that laser heats the plastic powder into the model?

Which printer are you looking to use? the one that uses the liquid resin thats cured by UV or the one that laser heats the plastic powder into the model?

None right now, because money and time are tight. But Laser since it gives the better printing with less finishing work needed, but I've heard about other laser types that actually cut the material and have seen the results(which are very high quality).

One thing, though: if you're going for the TV version of the Macross, shouldn't it have the TV bridge? If I recall, the three-tiered bridge appeared in DYRL and from then on. I thought the TV version had a tighter, fully enclosed bridge at the top of the bubble and then just other stuff below it.

Looks absolutely incredible though. I'm always eager to click this thread when I see it near the top of the list, to see if there's been progress.

Ah, here it is: (Borrowed from McCain's UN Spacy Database to clarify)

post-2681-1159220647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelsain

You could try starting at Milkshape3D (www.milkshape3d.com). Its not very powerfull, but is simple enough that you can get down working in 3 side views and 1 3D window, and it only costs $25, so if after 30 days you decide to keep it, its not going to kill you to get it. Not to mention if after several months, you decide 3D stuff is not for you, then you didnt go out and buy a $3,000 program. There are other ones out there, this is just what I got started on, and I still use it now and then to do little things.

After that, I would suggest moving to 3D studio max. There is a lot of support out there for it, and MS3D is designed after it, so the interface wont be a huge change.

EDIT ----

Ok I just noticed it says 649 posts next to my name. Is this a leftover from the break in?

Edited by Nanashi

Don't waste your money on any 3D program just yet! Search around for the various freeware ones and when you become comfortable with the concepts of 3D look into the various demo's that are available and find one that's in your opinion 'user friendly' and whether you want to be a hobbyist or professional.

I've just started dabbling into creating 3D CG. I'm a graphic designer, and have spent years doing art, and using 2D software. So far, in my limited dabblings, the best (as in the easiest to understand without having to read the instructions) is Sketchup, by google. The nice thing is that there is a freeware version of it. Of course, no software is free of limitations, and IMHO, this software is best used for creating buildings and other structures.

Give it a shot - it's free afterall. At the very least, you'll learn what you want and want to avoid in another software.

Fantastic work man!

Keep it up. Can't wait to see your next update!

Makes me wanna go out here and tech myself CG. For those in the know, is Maya a good place to start?

I'd say start with Blender. It can do most things Maya can, some things that Maya can't, and it's free.

• 4 weeks later...

> Everybody: thanks for the compliments! makes it easy to go through the detailing every night! I am not kidding! The Daedalus ship by MechTech inspires me a lot! I hope to see it soon afloat!

> Kelsain: I am using that reference for the bridge, do it does seem that there are three floors in the bridge. In any case I will try to get more references, but I have the MAcross Perfect Memory book, and that does seem o be the most accurate bridge pic. I will keep adding details, but in the meantime while I think about it will work on some other parts of the ship... which is HUGE!! :p

Anyhow, some updates on the CVS-101 Prometheus:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

He's doing the series version of the SDF-1 which is what was used in rowboatblech

sdf-` is the same ship in macross the show and robotech. if you are getting confused as to why you don't see ARMDs on the ship, it's because the SDF-1 gets refitted with them in the series after kamjin's ship demolishes it. and you only learn that in flashback 2012. only in DYRL is the sdf-1 initially outfitted with ARMDs.