Mass Effect

From IGN:

And now for some news that might upset the hardcore Mass Effect fans. Your level from your first Mass Effect game will not carry over into the second game, something done in the interest of maintaining a degree of balance. The decisions you made in the first game will have a major impact on the story for Mass Effect 2. The team is still figuring out what to do with your skills, but those might get reset as well since the option exists to switch classes at the start of Mass Effect 2.

From IGN:

And now for some news that might upset the hardcore Mass Effect fans. Your level from your first Mass Effect game will not carry over into the second game, something done in the interest of maintaining a degree of balance. The decisions you made in the first game will have a major impact on the story for Mass Effect 2. The team is still figuring out what to do with your skills, but those might get reset as well since the option exists to switch classes at the start of Mass Effect 2.

<_<

Not surprising, but that sucks. They've been telling us that it would carry over all along, but Noooo... In theory, people buying ME2 would have played ME1, ergo you could start the game with higher level enemies. BUT, you can't assume that these days, gotta reach out to new customers, etc... Ah well, what can you do?

They've been telling us that it would carry over all along

Actually, no they haven't. The only message I ever saw come out of Bioware on this was something along the lines of, "We can't tell you why, but hold onto your saves." If they ever promised a carry over of level, abilities, and gear, they dropped that stance before the PC version was released.

Meh... Perhaps, it's simply that the places I read have been saying that... I guess as long as it zeros out for good fun, and a compelling sequel to ME, that's what really matters. Oh, and fewer buildings and mineshafts that all look EXACTLY the same...

Really level isn't that big deal to me. The choices I made are the big thing, it seems like the game is really shaped by how you played ME1. I'd like to see my Shepard's look carry over too, the voice just seems wrong coming out of any other version now. I have a kind of attachment with those aspects of my character more so than his level or abilities.

I also see it from Bioware's point of view, if you were level 60 with all level X weapons like I'm sure many players are (myself included) you'd be able to blow through all but the hardest difficulty with relative ease.

In the end, who Shepard was and how you crafted him/her within the context of the story seems far more important to carry over.

There were some damn slow elevators, but I *think* they were designed to hide loading screens, which I'm all for. More random news events/conversations would be nice for when you're riding them though.

There were some damn slow elevators, but I *think* they were designed to hide loading screens, which I'm all for. More random news events/conversations would be nice for when you're riding them though.

I wonder if different hardware revisions were able to load during the elevator rides faster... they were annoying for me but weren't nearly long enough to be the excruciating soul crushing treks into the wastelands of boredom that some people make them out to be.

But I agree, more news bits, more chatting, etc could dress up those painful 15 seconds a little better.

Yeah the Normandy one was the worst.

On another note, I wonder if the characters that survived ME will be able to join Shepard in ME2, or if they'll just be cameos.

They'd better, otherwise what's the point in keeping our saves? Decisions like, "Who dies?" are a major part of the game and it'd be terrible if the game devs don't follow through with their promises.

On another note, I wonder if the characters that survived ME will be able to join Shepard in ME2, or if they'll just be cameos.

A little of both, as I understand it.

I guess I am thankful I played this on PC, the load times were not anywhere near as bad as they sound on the 360.

If you put the game on your 360 HD it got better.

I kinda hope we at least get Wrex back if he survived your ME play through, I always liked him. I think I've seen a Quarian with Shepard in the screens, I wonder if that's Tali. I guess only time will tell.

Hopefully the game doesn't get pushed back any farther.

If you put the game on your 360 HD it got better.

I kinda hope we at least get Wrex back if he survived your ME play through, I always liked him. I think I've seen a Quarian with Shepard in the screens, I wonder if that's Tali. I guess only time will tell.

Hopefully the game doesn't get pushed back any farther.

Wrex has been seen in gameplay footage, as well.

I'm not sure how far they'll take the romance thing in the remaining two anyways.

Mass Effect wasn't exactly gum drops and rainbows and this installment is supposed to be way darker, may not be much time for a love connection. Especially if Shepard drops under the radar or something to get this mission done.

Neither Ash nor Kaiden really interested me as characters, they both could've eaten it and I'd have been ok. Ash was alright I suppose, but her somewhat anti-alien stance sorta put me off.

Garus and Wrex though were good characters and I liked how their attitudes could really change based on how you handled them.

I'm curious though about Cerberus in this one seeing as how Shepard apparently takes the mission from them. Seeing that dynamic will be interesting given their...shady tract record and the fact you could seriously hinder their operations in ME

New Bioware Blog answering many a question about the new Mass Effect

http://blogs.ign.com/BW_MassEffect/2009/06/17/123208/

It's pretty non spoilerly, but there are some in there (which have already been mentioned in this thread). Good read though, and it answers some of the things we were wondering in the last page or so.

• 1 month later...

Im on my third playthrough of the first game, and its making me REALLY want 2 to come soon! Ive looked around, and cant see a release date; has anyone heard anything?

Also the iphone game is a neat distraction, but not hard and certainly not necessary. It DOES have some voice acting though which is neat.

It's far less "artistic" than the first. Certainly less "epic"---first one clearly had a "the entire universe" sense, while this one could easily be GoW with different characters.

yeah, it's clearly emphasizing the shooter aspect of the game... oh well, supposedly they revamped that part of the game so whatever.

I hope they revamp the Mako tank segments of the game. I mean I love almost being able to scale vertical walls on that thing, but it could use a bit more of polish. Driving from point A to point B and occasionally letting off a few rounds is boring. On ME1 I just couldn't wait to drive to my destination before getting on foot for the fun to begin. I always tried to fight Geth armatures, and other big mechs on foot rather than on the Mako, much more fun :) .

Also, I hate the cover-art, would prefer a more minimalist approach, and that big handsome lizard better be Wrex .

I can't help but notice that the really tight space armour is in for the ladies this year... :rolleyes:

That's not new for this game.... which is a good thing, in my opinion B))

I hope they revamp the Mako tank segments of the game. I mean I love almost being able to scale vertical walls on that thing, but it could use a bit more of polish. Driving from point A to point B and occasionally letting off a few rounds is boring. On ME1 I just couldn't wait to drive to my destination before getting on foot for the fun to begin. I always tried to fight Geth armatures, and other big mechs on foot rather than on the Mako, much more fun :)

For me, the worst part is that every planet drove and handled the same way. They went to all the trouble of giving all the planets their own Codex entry, complete with the local gravity force. It would've been nice if that gravity had been reflected in the Mako gameplay sections.

That's not new for this game.... which is a good thing, in my opinion B))

For me, the worst part is that every planet drove and handled the same way. They went to all the trouble of giving all the planets their own Codex entry, complete with the local gravity force. It would've been nice if that gravity had been reflected in the Mako gameplay sections.

I just finished the game for the first time. I liked the Mako for a planet or two, then it just got obnoxious. It was a fun game, great story, but I don't really see myself playing it again...especially since #2 will likely have very little reason to warrant me devoting more time to this one. Some start-up bonuses just don't draw my attention enough. Hell, I already have a lvl 50 with Spectre X weapons. Not really much higher to climb other than to hit 60 and get better armor.

I just finished the game for the first time. I liked the Mako for a planet or two, then it just got obnoxious. It was a fun game, great story, but I don't really see myself playing it again...especially since #2 will likely have very little reason to warrant me devoting more time to this one. Some start-up bonuses just don't draw my attention enough. Hell, I already have a lvl 50 with Spectre X weapons. Not really much higher to climb other than to hit 60 and get better armor.

Well, you're completely wrong... :lol: think about all the decisions you made, killing big bug queen, how you treated obnoxious fan, which crew members made it, how you ended the game, all those choices are going to affect the story in ME 2.

Getting better loot was the least of the incentives for my numerous play throughs.

Well, you're completely wrong... :lol: think about all the decisions you made, killing big bug queen, how you treated obnoxious fan, which crew members made it, how you ended the game, all those choices are going to affect the story in ME 2.

Getting better loot was the least of the incentives for my numerous play throughs.

1) I killed the bug queen

2) I treated the obnoxious fan "badly"

3) My character(s) have successfully courted and banged the consort, Liara, Ashley, and Kaden (note plural on character :) )

4) I let the council go to hell, yay humans!

Also did the reverse of all the above.

Oh boy... it's gonna be interesting how the game starts out for me then :lol: It might be hard to factor in every event from ME1 into ME2's progression because some choices were literally epic, like choosing to assist the council or not at the end of the game, but I can see small choices like letting the bug queen live/die affect ME2's story.

1) I killed the bug queen

2) I treated the obnoxious fan "badly"

3) My character(s) have successfully courted and banged the consort, Liara, Ashley, and Kaden (note plural on character :) )

4) I let the council go to hell, yay humans!

Also did the reverse of all the above.

Oh boy... it's gonna be interesting how the game starts out for me then :lol: It might be hard to factor in every event from ME1 into ME2's progression because some choices were literally epic, like choosing to assist the council or not at the end of the game, but I can see small choices like letting the bug queen live/die affect ME2's story.

yeah, even the end, there's two huge choices... save the council or not and elect military man or politician to council... I can see both choices really affecting the way the 2nd game plays out.