1/100 Toynami Regult

ff95gj

Okay I got 2 of them and after i took the first one out of the box, the leg came off. It was a simple fix with some superglue but still on a toy fresh out of the box? I was wondering of anyone else has had this happen?

was it the joint right above the knee? That happened to me.

Okay I got 2 of them and after i took the first one out of the box, the leg came off. It was a simple fix with some superglue but still on a toy fresh out of the box? I was wondering of anyone else has had this happen?

Me too, though not quite right out of the box. Rather it was the first time I tried to get that "flying" pose. Superglue fixed it, but it it looked like the result insufficient glue and the lower bit not quite fully filling the top bit.

When I was messing with mine to test the joints, that happened. Looked like the glue just didn't bind well because of the pre-painted part.

Might be useful for mods later, but I haven't had time to explore that possibility yet.

That's why I don't buy vinyl toys but honestly, vinyls are not suppose to be articulated. And a toy that size that's suppose to be articulated would probably run $60 or is suppose to but given the short runs of Macross toys it would probably be more. So I think $25 is just right... I wouldn't say its a steal and a toy like this in retail should be less than $10. But for a Macross toy it's exactly where it's suppose to be. The 1/100 Toynami valks are probably decently priced but I don't like that sculpt at all so to me they're not worth it. Enough for me to think about getting the more expensive Hi-Metal version. I just don't see the Toynami ones as cheaper alternates.

That's why I don't buy vinyl toys but honestly, vinyls are not suppose to be articulated.

I have to strongly disagree with you there, Exo. If you'll tolerate me rambling a bit on that point: Vinyl toys in Japan have a history of several decades and literally hundreds of toys, and they've always been at least minimally articlated. Toynami's Regult is a bit bigger than Bandai's industry 'standard' size (used for most of their Godzilla figures), and contains a similar amount of articulation... more, if you give them the credit due for the Regult's ball-in-socket primary cannons.

The vintage Takatoku Max VF-1J Battroid I posed my Regult with in one photo actually has 9 points of articulation - a couple more than the Regult and typical of the larger mecha vinyls of the day.

Vinyl was adapted by the plamodel hobby back in the mid-1980s for static-pose kits (General Products - a division of the Gainax gang's efforts - was a pioneer in that.) that's still in use today, but it accounts for a significantly smaller segment of the vinyl figure hobby and doesn't touch the quantities of articulated vinyl ACTION figures that are a mainstay of the Japanese toy market. Toynami's Regult is an oddity to North American collectors, but it's a perfectly normal product for the market that Macross originated from. Maybe a little more stylish than the usual mass-market sofubi (maybe more like Toys Dream Project's variants), but 'normal'.

The style of design typical of vinyl certainly isn't the same as modern solid-cast action figures, but they're a very different format of toy and a much lower price point - especially at larger production runs. If Toynami's Regult was produced in the huge quantities typical of - say - Bandai's Godzilla vinyls, then it would likely share the $10 SRP Bandai's standard vinyls carry, but would be much higher quality in comparison. As it stands, the Regult is much nicer than Y-MSF's similarly limited-run Godzilla vinyls, and much less expensive.

I'd say anyone who had grown up with vinyl toys during their haydays of the 70s and early 80s (like me) would look at the Regult as a modern update of the toy style, without sacrificing the spirit of those toys. That's something I really appreciate about this, and look forward to with the line's future installments.

These things have to be made for a very specific group of collectors, and the Regult's strength as a product is that it seems to be catering very well to that niche group and selling through to them - a really vital success in today's collectible toy market.

I think it's rather ironic - and I get a chuckle from it - that Toynami's Regult seems to be often pegged as something of an oddity by a collector group where complex, multi material toys costing $100-$200 are the 'norm', but that it fits in quite well as an anime-accurate model in the simple material and low price point that established the property's mechandising sector.

I wish there were more of these kind of things! It's just the damnedest neat thing for me I've seen in a while. :) Bring 'em on!

Edited by AcroRay

• 3 weeks later...

I think these would look great displayed alongside Yamato's GN-U Dou VF-1 figures. I've compared them with the Toynami 1/100 Valks and they're roughly the same size (even though they don't have an official scale), with a far superior appearance. Looks like I'm gonna have to order a few more Toynami Regults and set up the ultimate shelf battle!

I actually just did this last weekend. You're right, the Gnus are similar in size to the 1/100 Toynami toys and look much better.

Are we to expect a review of the Regult from you, then? ^_^

Yes, a review of this and the GNU VF-1 will eventually make it up on the site. I had some old posts I wanted to get updated in the meantime

So you're micronian? I love your site! I just wanted to thank you for writing all your reviews. They've been immensely helpful in my recent Macross toy kick. I'm fully addicted, and can't wait for these two reviews to show up on your site. By the way, does anybody know where I can find the Kakizaki GN-U VF-1A?

Glad you're enjoying the site! I received my GN-u VF-1S as a gift, I think it was purchased from HLJ.com. I know some member in HK were discussing picking them up at steep discounts in the store there... unfortunately I don't know if any of those stores make items available internationally.

I've been holding off on picking up the GN-U VF-1's. They are too pricey. I picked up the Macross Plus ones paying about $100 for all three when they were first released. Now, they can be picked up for about $20 apiece. That's what they really are worth. I'm sure the same will happen with the VF-1's

I've been holding off on picking up the GN-U VF-1's. They are too pricey. I picked up the Macross Plus ones paying about $100 for all three when they were first released. Now, they can be picked up for about $20 apiece. That's what they really are worth. I'm sure the same will happen with the VF-1's

The VF-1 GNUs have dropped under US$20 in Hong Kong a few months ago. I suspect the same is true for Japan (otherwise where do the goods come from?) and should in turn internationally.

The Kakizai 1A is Yamato web shop exclusive... Normally you don't see them in shops.

BTW, the missile Regult is out... But I haven't got it. Unless they come up with a Scout Regult, otherwise I am holding my breath for a Y or B one.

Edited by ff95gj

Yeah, unfortunately I've already picked up all but the Kakizaki VF-1A GN-U at HobbySearch (which is why I asked about it). I payed a small premium, but the price was similar to eBay deals and they had all 4 in stock. I just couldn't resist a figure that looks this good and is so true to the line art (even though it doesn't transform). Toynami's 1/100 Valks were such a disappointment that I had to find an alternative when the Regults finally surfaced. I sure hope Toynami puts out a Glaug next.

Leave it to Toynami to mess up the QC even on a unposable $25 vinyl toy. ^_^

what scale would the old matchbox 3 3/4" zentraedi figure be? if it is 1/100 scale that would be kinda cool.

It seems close to 1/100. He might be able to squish into the Toynami Regult:

RegultandPilot.jpg

(With some irony, I'll note that the Matchbox Zentraedi figure is actually 'made in Japan'...)

QuickCompare.jpg

Today, BBTS sent me notice that my preordered Heavy Artillery version was in-stock and ready to ship. Whoo hoo!

Aren't 3 3/4 action figures in general suppose to be 1/18 scale?

If they're representative of a typical human. If it's a Microman figure, for example, then the 3 3/4" figure is actually 1/1 scale. The Matchbox Zentraedi figure I shot with the Toynami Regult is actually the "Micronized Zentraedi" figure, so technically he would be 1/18. But I don't recall any Micronized Zentran troops with scaled-down body armor in the show, so I used him as a 1/100 scale figure. He scales well with the 1/100 Valk toys - much better than the vintage 1/100 Imai "Armored Space Suit" Kamjin plamodel, which is about the same size as John Moscato's 1/72 Kamjin kit.

So, it's "Macross Scale"... :)

Ordered 1 of the Heavy missle ones from BBTS over the weekend...Hope they make the other 2 varients and then the officer pod! I could keep on board with these, no, they aren't 1:60 Yammies, but they're not bad, and I can have a freakin ARMY for the price of one Yammie if and when it ever comes out..... <_<

My heavy missile type arrived today, bringing a huge smile to my face. With those two massive missile pods on top, the thing really has some serious presence on the shelf. And lineart accurate. Sweet!

The missile pods have a lot of panel detail on them, which really calls out for some panel line or detail painting, much more than the previous edition did. It reminds me of the 'anime style' buildup examples on the instructions of the 80s Macross plastic kits, with simple bright paint. But it will say "Paint Me!" to a lot of collectors, IMO.

Really nice fictional history on the back of the box, too. Many nods to classic Macross, as well as serving their Harmony Gold licensor. Obviously branded by necessity, but born from the original source.

Good work, Toynami! I can't wait for the next piece in the line!