Getting us right back where we were before the sequels, when we'd simply assumed there was a years-long hunt to ferret out and eliminate the jedi, because how could you possibly get an elite club of mind readers with telekinesis all pinned down long enough for a mass assassination attempt to go through?

That's why Yoda was hiding in a swamp untouched by civilization and Obi-Wan was hiding in a cave (with a box of scrap!) in the middle of the desert, just barely visible to what passed for civilization on Tatooine. Because while a jedi COULD kick back in the nicest clubs known to Coruscant, it wouldn't be long before Lord Vader came to have a few words with you.

I would join the dark side.

The fact that he never found Obi-Wan either speaks volumes to Vader's incompetence, or he really didnt want to kill him to begin with. "Suuure, let me go hide on the guy's home planet, he'll never be back there again." On the other hand, given it was Tatooine... :lol:

I dont recall whether it was in any of the movies, or just in EU material, but I remember someone mentioning Yoda's reasoning about Dagobah was that the heavy concentration of wildlife would actually make it very difficult to sense him through the force.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The end game for the story is capturing the plans for the Death Star, which feels completely underwhelming to me. What other stories are they planning to tell with Star Wars "Plus?"

I do wonder if they're going to spin this story with some of the old EU relationships intact/twisted like they have with TFA. While I never really loved the main plot of the Han Solo background novels, I wouldn't mind seeing his relationship with one of the rebels responsible for the Death Star plan theft kept intact in the new canon.

It's not really necessary for him, but I think it added an interesting angle to his character, in light of all that happened in the original trilogy.

Now you two have gone and ruined the plot!... Spoiler tags people, spoiler tags!... :p:lol:

Wonder if the opening sequence of ANH is immediately after the plans are stolen?

Remaining Rogue One team rendezvous with Leia above Tatooine....RO ship had tracking device....Vader in the Star Destroyer jumps out of hyperspace....blows up RO ship.....begins chasing Tantive IV....then ANH opening sequence begins....

Nice to see familiar designs being pulled out. :)

Though, seeing all the little differences, I have to wonder what a stock T-65 would look like.. there's some pretty clear differences between that ship and the ones in ANH, so I wonder if we'll get to see a brand new, fresh from the factory X-Wing in this movie. The time frame for this might be around the time they acquired the X-Wings in the first place.

They had familiar designs in TFA. Anyway, I do want to see what a showroom fresh T 65 looks like...

Not sure it would be showroom fresh. It takes place right before ANH opens.

Wonder if the opening sequence of ANH is immediately after the plans are stolen?

Remaining Rogue One team rendezvous with Leia above Tatooine....RO ship had tracking device....Vader in the Star Destroyer jumps out of hyperspace....blows up RO ship.....begins chasing Tantive IV....then ANH opening sequence begins....

That would be catching them red-handed, which it doesn't sound like they are at the beginning of ANH. Leia was going to Tatooine to recruit the help of Obi-wan. Edited by Duke Togo

Not sure it would be showroom fresh. It takes place right before ANH opens.

That would be catching them red-handed, which it doesn't sound like they are at the beginning of ANH. Leia was going to Tatooine to recruit the help of Obi-wan.

Red-handed? Well...not sure what else you would call getting caught with plans you just stole....Vader seemed to think they had them...

I would think once RO have the plans....the object would be to get them to the Rebel base via someone that the Empire would not suspect....thus they meet up with leia at a spot "furthest away from the center of the universe"...and also where Leai knew where Kenobi was....so I think she intended to take Kenobi back, recruit as you say, to Yavin to figure out what to do with the plans

Watch the opening sequence of ANH again....with the premise of RO in mind....Vader wanted the ship torn apart until they found the plans...he knew they had them...I don't think it was a coincidence that they came upon that ship....above Tatooine.....and Vader just happened to be on that Star Destroyer cruising around Tatooine....

If anything....this reboot of the franchise is probably going to borrow several elements from the existing canon sources.....tracking devices being one of them....wouldn't doubt it if Boba Fett himself will be the one that placed it or tracks the RO ship to my proposed rendezvous point idea above Tatooine....

LOL....so none of this is plausible to you because it wasn't shown in ANH?

Use your imagination....RO transmits the data to Leia's ship in a scene that precedes the moment where ANH begins....RO ship gets blown up too as previously described since it already transmitted data...making it useless....the data is now on the Tantive IV...

Thus Vader's transmission query....caught red-handed!

Eventually they figured out the plans were in the droids....same plot copied in TFA...

LOL....so none of this is plausible to you because it wasn't shown in ANH?

Use your imagination....RO transmits the data to Leia's ship in a scene that precedes the moment where ANH begins....RO ship gets blown up too as previously described since it already transmitted data...making it useless....the data is now on the Tantive IV...

Thus Vader's transmission query....caught red-handed!

Eventually they figured out the plans were in the droids....same plot copied in TFA...

Obvious objection: Princess Leia believed she could bluff Vader. She was not under the impression that they had been caught red-handed, hence the handoff was not in-system.

Also, transmitted data doesn't just disappear. Vader would've captured BOTH ships, giving him two chances at extracting it from the system before someone had the good sense to delete the files.

My impression is that Vader had a spy onboard. Princess Leia was suspected of being a supporter of the rebellion, and had likely been under discrete observation her for some time. The payoff was just bigger than expected, necessitating a rushed capture attempt with inadequate support.

I guess we'll find out when the movie comes out and we get to see KYLE KATARN ON THE BIG SCREEN DISNEY I WILL BOYCOTT YOU FOREVER IF YOU WRITE HIM OUT. (hollower threats are seldom written)

Obvious objection: Princess Leia believed she could bluff Vader. She was not under the impression that they had been caught red-handed, hence the handoff was not in-system.

Also, transmitted data doesn't just disappear. Vader would've captured BOTH ships, giving him two chances at extracting it from the system before someone had the good sense to delete the files.

My impression is that Vader had a spy onboard. Princess Leia was suspected of being a supporter of the rebellion, and had likely been under discrete observation her for some time. The payoff was just bigger than expected, necessitating a rushed capture attempt with inadequate support.

I guess we'll find out when the movie comes out and we get to see KYLE KATARN ON THE BIG SCREEN DISNEY I WILL BOYCOTT YOU FOREVER IF YOU WRITE HIM OUT. (hollower threats are seldom written)

Yep....none of this is "real"...just having some fun speculating on possible scenarios....relax

Besides....this is Star Wars....logic gets thrown out the window for the sake of the plot....what else would Leia do if caught red-handed? She'd deny it to the end....look at the whole Dantooine scene....

Also...if you want to start picking apart the story...why would Vader not stop by the Lars homestead? Drops by and sees a teen named "Skywalker"...looks like him or his wife...about the same age as he should be if he would not have died all those years ago...."senses" Kenobi....yep...forget logic....suspend disbelief.....know that the new showrunners are going to borrow as much material from the OT as possible to keep the old fans giddy with nostalgia but different enough to not be complete plagiarism....lol

I wonder if they will reuse the original Stormtrooper costumes. If they make a new visual adaptation of it like Rebels, then they could have more Hot Toys figures.

You mean will it have old school Stormtroopers and vehicles and whatnot in it? We already know the answer to this: yes.

Heck, why wouldn't Vader drop by the Lars homestead ANYWAYS at some point?

"So, ummm, Owen... I've meant to ask this for a long time... you knew mom was sold into slavery, right? You ever consider doing the slightest to get her out of it? Yeah, I know, times were tight, yaddayadda... think I'm gonna burn this place to the ground. You don't mind, right? Cool, just lemme lock this door so you can die with your farm. I dunno if you got the memo, but I'm kinda evil. "

Heck, why wouldn't Vader drop by the Lars homestead ANYWAYS at some point?

"So, ummm, Owen... I've meant to ask this for a long time... you knew mom was sold into slavery, right? You ever consider doing the slightest to get her out of it? Yeah, I know, times were tight, yaddayadda... think I'm gonna burn this place to the ground. You don't mind, right? Cool, just lemme lock this door so you can die with your farm. I dunno if you got the memo, but I'm kinda evil. "

Her contract was bought out, and she was married. That's how she ended up there.

Full size classic T-65 X-wing from Rogue one set. Looks sweet!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

From here: http://pulse.therpf.com/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-x-wing-photos

Chris

I wonder whatever happened to the original X-wing full scale prop? Did they just tear the thing down after filming or is it archived somewhere?

When BSG ended, they held an auction and sold off all the life size props right?

Anakin/Vader hated Tatooine. There was no reason for him to go back. His mother was buried there. It was the last place he ever would have gone which is why it was the perfect hiding spot. The Lars were only his "family" by marriage and I am sure he never really gave a single damn about that.

Edited by Chewie

Suspension of disbelief and ignoring all logic and common sense is the number one thing that is required to be a Star Wars fan.....failure to do that and it all just starts falling apart.... :lol:

Tatooine.....home of the crime lord Jabba the Hutt.....bastion of spies, scum and villainy.....folks willing to sell you out for some credits.....yet no one in the time Luke SKYWALKER arrived to where we see him in ANH....cought onto the LAST NAME of the famous "Star pilot and warrior" from the clone wars???? No one passed on that odd bit of info to the Empire about some kid named SKYWALKER living with the LARS???? Why take the risk of having Luke keep his last name (other than as a plot device).....why wasn't Leia allowed to keep her last name.......oh yeah, because that wouldn't make sense either....

;)

Suspension of disbelief and ignoring all logic and common sense is the number one thing that is required to be a Star Wars fan.....failure to do that and it all just starts falling apart.... :lol:

Tatooine.....home of the crime lord Jabba the Hutt.....bastion of spies, scum and villainy.....folks willing to sell you out for some credits.....yet no one in the time Luke SKYWALKER arrived to where we see him in ANH....cought onto the LAST NAME of the famous "Star pilot and warrior" from the clone wars???? No one passed on that odd bit of info to the Empire about some kid named SKYWALKER living with the LARS???? Why take the risk of having Luke keep his last name (other than as a plot device).....why wasn't Leia allowed to keep her last name.......oh yeah, because that wouldn't make sense either....

;)

Let's analyze that a bit. How many with the name Gonzales do you know or aware of?

As for the connections.....it's tattooine, their moisture farmers in the middle of the desert that's like being in Australia and your closest neighbors is 40 minutes away.

And just as Yoda was shrouded by the dark side of the force on dagoba maybe something similar went on for Luke.

I mean in the EU darth kryate put two and two together until obiwan cut his arm off.

Edited by Hikuro