Battleship Movie

Dangaioh

BOO! BOOO!! Leiji Matsumoto says: get off his nut sack!!

BOO! BOOO!! Leiji Matsumoto says: get off his nut sack!!

You do know I was trying to be sarcastic (using the 'phear' emote) with Phaillywood making a Hasbro movie?

(Or... I am reading your response all to incorrectly, either way this board needs a sarcasm emote)

Edited by Dangaioh

This is based on the board game, Battleship. Thats what I heard. So it won't be Space Battleship Missouri.

OK - I've just heard the DUMEST (so Dumb it forgot the B) movie idea ever. (This even beats out the remake of Piranha)

I'm at work so I can't watch the clips, will have to remember to do so when I get home.

You know, the more I think about this, this is reverse Robotechyization. Instead of creating a cartoon to support a product line, they've got these games, Battleship (and I read they are also making a Monopoly movie and considering one based on Chutes and Ladders for kids) and they are banking on the name recognition drwing an audience, then getting a script developed that has brushed with the subject matter and includes key references and catch phrases.

I imagine for a Hollywood creative type, getting the blank slate to make a movie about Battleships and pretty much the freedom to write whatever the hell you want as long as it includes some battleships fighing and someone shouting the titular line, "You sank my Battleship!" probably as the crescendo of the final battle would be a real lark.

Don't get me wrong, I think these are rediculous ideas, and probably will be terrible movies. But I found their inverted relationship to how RowBoatTech came about kinda funny.

You do know I was trying to be sarcastic (using the 'phear' emote) with Phaillywood making a Hasbro movie?

(Or... I am reading your response all to incorrectly, either way this board needs a sarcasm emote)

Oh no, nothing like that. Just a proverbial oath, shouted into the wind as it were; aimed at the soulless carbon-copy machine that is Hollywood.

Oh no, nothing like that. Just a proverbial oath, shouted into the wind as it were; aimed at the soulless carbon-copy machine that is Hollywood.

Cool, that proves that I read your response wrong (/embarrassed, and hits head on paper wall).

• 11 months later...

Well, it took until the last 2 secs, but there *was* a battleship in that trailer.

My prediction: they'll acknowledge there's no battleships left in service, and will bring an Iowa class out of mothballs as "the only ship that can beat the aliens".

There's nothing wrong with being a bitter snob...

Everyone can choose to enjoy life how they want. For me, if I know I'm going to hate something, I just don't see it. But if other people want to spend their time by going to see something they hate and then devote hours, days, even years of their life talking about how much they hate it... more power to them.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of that, but to each their own.

Everyone can choose to enjoy life how they want. For me, if I know I'm going to hate something, I just don't see it. But if other people want to spend their time by going to see something they hate and then devote hours, days, even years of their life talking about how much they hate it... more power to them.

Ah, that. Yeah, that's dumb.

For the record, I won't be seeing this movie unless at least three friends who I trust see it first and say it's good.

I'm gonna ask for my money back if Qui-Gon don't utter the words "You sank my battle ship".

I thought it was funny that the missles or whatever they were from the alien ship were the pegs from the game.

Looks a lot better than I thought it would. I'm sure I'll have a good time while watching it and have even a better time reading all the grief posted by bitter snobs later on.

So help me I too thought it didn't look half bad either.

QFT.

Chris

Well, it took until the last 2 secs, but there *was* a battleship in that trailer.

My prediction: they'll acknowledge there's no battleships left in service, and will bring an Iowa class out of mothballs as "the only ship that can beat the aliens".

I think so too.

Chris

Edit: off hand where are the 4 Iowa's? Missouri is in at Pearl, New Jersey is on the Delaware river between Philly and Camden. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing another Iowa class in the Philly Navy Yard years ago when Jersey was still there along with a few other older class BB's. I'm from that area and always loved looking at the navy yard, not sure where the other Iowa is off hand.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I think so too.

Chris

Edit: off hand where are the 4 Iowa's? Missouri is in at Pearl, New Jersey is on the Delaware river between Philly and Camden. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing another Iowa class in the Philly Navy Yard years ago when Jersey was still there along with a few other older class BB's. I'm from that area and always loved looking at the navy yard, not sure where the other Iowa is off hand.

Chris

(from Wikipedia)

Iowa is in California and is available for donation

New Jersey - like you said

Missouri is in Hawaii

Wisconsin - Norfolk VA

[edit] - forgot, the ship in the Philly navy yard is a cruiser, I forget which. (although a BB may have been there for a short time).

That is the best movie based on the game Battleship I have ever seen!

Edited by Dynaman

Missouri is in Hawaii

Wisconsin - Norfolk VA

Reminds me of:

Captain Esteban: Caballeros! I believe you all know each other?

Don Diego: Don Diego from San Fernando.

Don Francisco: Don Francisco from San Jose.

Don Fernando: Don Fernando from San Diego.

Don Jose: Don Jose from San Bernardino.

Luis Obispo: Luis Obispo from Bakersfield.

(from Wikipedia)

Missouri is in Hawaii

Wisconsin - Norfolk VA

[edit] - forgot, the ship in the Philly navy yard is a cruiser, I forget which. (although a BB may have been there for a short time).

That is the best movie based on the game Battleship I have ever seen!

The cruiser that was in the Philadelphia Navy Yard was USS Des Moines. The ship is no longer there. Scrapped a few years ago.

In case anyone's interested, the following battleships are also museums -

USS Alabama - Mobile Bay, Alabama

USS Massachusetts - Fall River, Massachusetts

USS North Carolina - Wilmington, North Carolina

USS Texas - Houston, Texas

The Iowa was in Philadelphia for years before it was moved to California.

Thank you! I knew I remembered seeing 2 Iowas berthed next to each other. I wasn't referring to recently but back in the 90's. I could have sworn at least 1 old BB was there too....for some reason California come to mind.

Chris

Ok did a quick search doesn't sound like it could be Califorinia but I did find this picture circa 1995. to the right you can see the 2 Iowas to the far left by the bridge you can see 5 ships, the one closest to the dock in the group of three is an older BB look at her 2 large deck gun turrets.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Philadelphia_Naval_Shipyard2.jpg

Chris

edit: ooops, sorry that ship is the cruiser Des Moines CA-134 as Vifam 7 pointed out.

Edited by Dobber

You know, I kind had hopes for this movie. I figured that with there being nothing to the license other than a name and involving naval combat, they'd be free to make whatever story they wanted. I guess the drawback is that they're free to come up with the crap that was in that trailer.

I didn't even realize I had expectations for this until I saw the trailer. Robots? Somehow I thought it would involve some new breakthrough in stealth technology and a conflict that erupts because of it, meaning that the battleships have no idea where the opposing forces are. Lol.

Well I like most of the actors in this so I'll check it out if it gets decent reviews.

WTF, since when were their aliens in battleship? That's like making a movie about Twister, and making it about a tornado....oh wait...

I got a good laugh out of this.

The New Jersey is right in Camden. I find it a bit strange that the New Jersey is the only one of the Iowa class that's actually in the state that it's named after.

So far, I've been aboard the New Jersey twice. From what I understand, it's still under restoration. The two times that I was there, the lower decks still weren't open to the public. I'd love to see the New Jersey's engine room one day.