WIP it good.

the white drew carey

I know how you would kitbash with physical models... how are you kitbashing digitally? By disassembling existing models of other stuff? If so, that's kinda how I started off modeling. Just acquiring other people's stuff and then eventually learning how to make my own. When I go back and look at the cockpit I made for that VF-1, it still looks decent for what it is, but the way I made it... UGH... text book for worst practices. Learning modeling can be a long slow, trial by fire kinda process. Or, some people learn it in school, where somebody presumably explains how to do things. Crazy.

Curious to see what happens next with your model.

Edited by chillyche

Yeah digitally, I use a set of archaic programs: Truespace 3.2, Irfranview, 3dexploration 1.883, and various others...

I'm a member of many game forums (where I first found out and got into modding).

Over time I wanted to try to create something myself but then found out I have no talent or skill for it.

Seriously, 3d programs are worse than greek to me!

Aside from straight conversions I started doing in like 2003, around 2005 I experimented with a program called DOGA.

DOGA is like a part library and you just put the pieces together. As a child I use to have a toy set called a "droid factory" and by assembling different parts you could make permutations of droids.

Same thing... Like a Mr Potato head, but for spaceships!

Then I figured if I could learn how to take just parts that inspired me off other models I could "kit-bash" my own just like DOGA.

I just do this for my own enjoyment.

Occasionally, people like what I come up with.

Some of my latest bashes:

Alien fighters 2 flavors

aftrconcepts.jpg

StarWars parts that unintentionally turned out very StarFox-like

artest.jpg

My interpretation of SDF-3 SC-style, less boxy, more character...

sdf3.jpg

KA Style YAMATO, from SFC3 parts, still a WIP

yamatoupdate1.jpg

Lastly,

EDF Avenger with EDF Andromeda above it (for scale), unarmed still WIP...

bc4test.jpg

Edited by Star Dragon

@ Frothymug, yeah FS2 is the easiest game I've found to mod.

On a good day I can get a viable Fighter mesh imported and running in about 20mins(or less).

Renders are fine, but I'd rather see stuff blow up!

Don't you agree?

:)

One of the intros I've VA'ed for, TBP: RELIC (EA Civil WAr)

FSOpen New Trailer: Homage to 1&2 fan made mission as a cutscene with in-game resources.

EPIC!

Edited by Star Dragon

Nice work I know what it is like to piece together ships. One of the fan projects I was working on we had to create a bunch of new ships. We came up with Modifications to the RT New Generations ships Garfish. Making Multiple types here is one we called it the Tigerfish.

First the Original Design of the Garfish

post-5333-129672981919_thumb.jpg

Then the Modifications for an attack class the Tigerfish

post-5333-12967298829_thumb.jpg

post-5333-129672988893_thumb.jpg

post-5333-129672989604_thumb.jpg

It can be a lot of fun working on the models. Fortunately for me I can use all the modeling programs I have. Most of the ones for the game were built in Milkshape 3d though. A simplistic program and easy to learn makes it easy to transition to other programs.

Nice, are you working with AA or just based off his works? TriggerFish, Lionfish, ect...

I have a few of arisul's meshes as well as AA's first "batch".

Thanks to a mutual contact, I salvaged most of them from a HD crash, but I haven't talked to AA in years.

He ever get the Ikazuchi finished? It made me drool!

yea I was working with him for a while then a Project leader got overly busy and really slowed down the project maybe even halted it. But AA has finished the Ikazuchi. Or at least the bulk of it. I still have to go through get rid of some collisions. But I really enjoy watching his work get better and better.

post-5333-129676651679_thumb.jpg

Yea it seems like AA isn't on much anymore. Which is a really shame or he is like me and doesn't turn on the messenger services anymore. But I don't see him on websites much either.

Ohh I guess I should show some of my full complete stuff. Have tons more but just an example of some of the stuff we where working on.

post-5333-129676710699_thumb.jpg

post-5333-129676712343_thumb.jpg

post-5333-12967671164_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darrtallion

• 2 weeks later...

yea I was working with him for a while then a Project leader got overly busy and really slowed down the project maybe even halted it. But AA has finished the Ikazuchi. Or at least the bulk of it. I still have to go through get rid of some collisions. But I really enjoy watching his work get better and better.

post-5333-129676651679_thumb.jpg

Yea it seems like AA isn't on much anymore. Which is a really shame or he is like me and doesn't turn on the messenger services anymore. But I don't see him on websites much either.

Ohh I guess I should show some of my full complete stuff. Have tons more but just an example of some of the stuff we where working on.

post-5333-129676710699_thumb.jpg

post-5333-129676712343_thumb.jpg

post-5333-12967671164_thumb.jpg

I have a copy of the RT mod for FS2 somewhere in the piles on my desk. It wasn't bad...B))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For being a terrible game, I personally think the M3 designs are the best after DYRL?.

I never played it. I was excited when it was coming out, but that was it. Then, I saw it, and it didn't much impress. Especially when one looks back on it today. Eesh. But, I agree, the designs are sweet. Since Macross Aria takes place during some of the same time period, it was a great excuse to revisit those designs. So, you know, some day we'll see them junks in action.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I accidentally posted the first image of this in the O/T Artwork thread in Other Anime and Sci-fi but... whatevs.

Anyhow, In between doing a thorough cleaning of the apartment, working on my French, and working on a some mecha desing work for a website, I have been taking potshots at this.

For now the black line work is done (although I will probably go back and adjust once color is added).

My idea is to have the main light source be the thrust from the cruise mode. However, even beyond that, I plan to color in the cruise form several shades darker that the "humanoid" form to differentiate between the two. I'm also stressing a bit about what, if anything, to do for the background. I have been a lot more miss lately than hit with using markers for backgrounds. I think they just don't cover as well over large swathes... Any ideas?

Aside from scale errors (which, hopefully, aren't too noticeable), I kind of fudged some of the details, as finding consistent detailing for the Blassty between the line work and scale models is a lost cause.

post-179-0-40473300-1328011879_thumb.jpg

Edited by the white drew carey

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In between my full-time job (damn you, work!), trying to keep up my newly-self-imposed semi-weekly schedule of GAMERGEEKDADDY comic strips, and some freelance projects I have been working on, I have started to put together the following WIP. It is roughly A3-size, and will be entirely in pen and marker.

It may be awhile until it reaches fruition, but I hope it doesn't take too long...

post-179-0-82776700-1382824162_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Long time, no posting, everyone!

Oh well. That previous one is now on the back-burner. I'm not entirely sold on the lay out or the Valks...

In the mean-time, I've been beating around this one for a bit, and have gotten to the point where I think I'm going to start the digital coloring... As many of you know, I am obsessed with Millia and the VF-9. I think this may be the third or fourth drawing of the two I've done. Wowza.

post-179-0-98531100-1428143007_thumb.png