I liked how they kept the original ship designs, they looked pretty cool. Seems that there will always be people around trying to squeeze more money out of Yamato.

Doesn't bother me though.

Oh so you've never seen the series? Despite the antiquated animation I always found the story to be captivating. I think you'll like it, and if they're sprucing this old thing up to bring it into the new millenium it can only win.....I HOPE...

So the movie will be the first two episodes? That's pretty interesting. I'm guessing in that regards, that we'll be getting the TV series after that. Could be quite a wait if the film is out in April. Hoping it'll still be sometime in 2012.

Yeah, just read about the TV series thing. That has me even more excited. I thought that the animation wasn't quite up to feature film quality, but if they avoid going to places like Beeland I will be happy.

The character designs are a bit...Tezuka'd up, which is weird for a non-Tezuka anime. The ship designs also seem a bit...stubby. At this point, anything has got to be better than Rebirth/Ressurection, but they really should have brought in Matsumoto.

After seeing that Daft Punk quartet of videos he was involved in, I should hope so.

Here's also to seeing either a Captain Harlock or Queen Emarladas cameo, too.

That's old news. Check out Galaxy Railways if you haven't already. It's already an older series now too, but full of Matsumoto awesomeness. As for this new Yamato series, It's got some good staff involved, but the chances of Matsumoto character cameo's is about 0% without his involvement. Besides, look at the ships, they're too stubby to have had his involvement in this version.

Completely not important but I'm sort of surprised that they still show the wreck of the original Yamato intact. Isn't the real ship in pieces? Just kind of thought they'd have updated that info when the wreck was found.

As for this anime it looks great to me, deffinately looking forward to this. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Completely not important but I'm sort of surprised that they still show the wreck of the original Yamato intact. Isn't the real ship in pieces? Just kind of thought they'd have updated that info when the wreck was found.

Chris

Never let reality get in the way of an iconic image!!

Never let reality get in the way of an iconic image!!

That, and if it were in pieces it wouldn't make much of a finished ship (great excuse to redisgn it though, HERESY!)

And yes, everything after the Comet Empire stuff has been a letdown (to varyious degrees) so hopefully this will bring back the original magic

That, and if it were in pieces it wouldn't make much of a finished ship (great excuse to redisgn it though, HERESY!)

And yes, everything after the Comet Empire stuff has been a letdown (to varyious degrees) so hopefully this will bring back the original magic

Don't hope.

"If you keep your expectations tiny, you'll go through life without being so whiny."

• 2 months later...

Still say the character designs look too Tezuka-ey.

You're probably right-I admit the only character I noticed was Nova...

Yup, I believe the kit is based off of this design. That's why I hope they continue with more models from this series! :D

Chris

Just read up on it, and you're absolutely right, Bandai made the kit using the new 2199 design. Makes me glad I got this.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to attend the launch Ceremony for the new Yamato 2199 series last weekend - a full report will hopefully be up over at Starblazers.com in April.

They actually showed us episode 1 in its entirity and damn I was impressed.

The latest trailer for the series can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/mpd/permalink/m3KWXF9VEKY89B/ref=ent_fb_link?pf_rd_p=110850949&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=3077270796&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_r=128ZWFJHSG1X8QNB634E