Does anybody know a good PSP emulator?

Master Dex

Before anyone says something, I don't own a PSP nor do I want to spend the money to buy one. I found the iso for Macross Ace Frontier though but I can't find any PSP emulators that actually play any games... but if there is an iso for the game out, there must be at least one emulator out there that can play it. I don't know if anyone here can help but if you know something, please let me know, help is appreciated.

Before anyone says something, I don't own a PSP nor do I want to spend the money to buy one. I found the iso for Macross Ace Frontier though but I can't find any PSP emulators that actually play any games... but if there is an iso for the game out, there must be at least one emulator out there that can play it. I don't know if anyone here can help but if you know something, please let me know, help is appreciated.

You're out of luck. No PSP emulators exist. The ISOs are UMD backups to be played from the memory stick of a PSP.

Go buy one. Its a handy device. ;)

So, how then can I get the iso onto a memory stick for PSP? I don't know anything about it, but I have a friend with a PSP, so I could use his perhaps.

It doesn't work with ALL type of PSP, sometimes in order to play games from memory stick, you have to modify the PSP software or use homebrew software. And I think you also need a PSP which has not been updated to a certain version.

I might be in luck since my friend has an older model I believe, but I don't know. I don't even know what the memory sticks look like or how I would interface them to the computer... unless the PSP uses a memory format that is similar to a capture card or an SD card.

I don't know this stuff because I don't own one though. Doesn't matter though, not likely I can do anything since my friend doesn't seem to know where his is. I was already sold that I wouldn't be able to play the game but when I found the iso I thought it might be possible, oh well.

I don't know this stuff because I don't own one though. Doesn't matter though, not likely I can do anything since my friend doesn't seem to know where his is. I was already sold that I wouldn't be able to play the game but when I found the iso I thought it might be possible, oh well.

Google psp modding. Lots of info. Iso's are useless without a modded psp. I know not everyone can afford a psp, but I got mine used for $100 and did the mods myself for another $40 and it's easily been the best $140 I've spent in years....

Some people bricked their PSP through modding :s

My mate modded his PSP and download his games (Japanese games, because himself is Japanese >.>) and buys the english games.

o_O; Even if he has it in Japanese lol

Best bet is to get yourself a PSP 2000 or 3000 for Christmas and import Ace Frontier from Yesasia or something.

Google psp modding. Lots of info. Iso's are useless without a modded psp. I know not everyone can afford a psp, but I got mine used for $100 and did the mods myself for another $40 and it's easily been the best $140 I've spent in years....

40 bucks is expensive for "modding". I'd do it for u for free, or you could do it yourself too. Its quite fool proof. Just don't freaking turn off the power as the firmware is flashing for chrissakes or you'll brick your psp.

Some people bricked their PSP through modding :s

My mate modded his PSP and download his games (Japanese games, because himself is Japanese >.>) and buys the english games.

o_O; Even if he has it in Japanese lol

Best bet is to get yourself a PSP 2000 or 3000 for Christmas and import Ace Frontier from Yesasia or something.

Even bricked PSPs can be revived now, with the great discovery which is the Pandora Battery. Just borrow somebody's non-bricked PSP's battery, run the software and voila, PSP is unbricked. So flashing the PSP firmware now is 100% risk free.

With this in mind I might look into getting a PSP someday, but for Christmas is unlikely as money is something I have to watch right now. I just got an Ozma 1/72 model and I plan to get a Michel 1/60 DX in March, those combined with Christmas stuff in general makes me need to watch money.

I guess the 2000 and 3000 are the newer ones...

Noted though, if I plan to do any modding, I will ask you wolfx since you seem to know how to do it, or at least explain it.

40 bucks is expensive for "modding". I'd do it for u for free, or you could do it yourself too. Its quite fool proof. Just don't freaking turn off the power as the firmware is flashing for chrissakes or you'll brick your psp.

Even bricked PSPs can be revived now, with the great discovery which is the Pandora Battery. Just borrow somebody's non-bricked PSP's battery, run the software and voila, PSP is unbricked. So flashing the PSP firmware now is 100% risk free.

that's why I spent the $40. I got a thing that makes a normal battery into a pandora's battery and converts it back to a normal battery again.

I usually wait until the next gen system comes out. So, I will probably get an older version used for cheap. Ace Frontier seems like a good game so I doubt it will go to any discount pricing anytime in the future. I may just pick up the game and wait to buy a used PSP later on.

I did that for the PS1. I got a used PS1 and the Macross DRYL side scroller and Macross VFX2. Right now I am thinking about getting an older PS2 for $49 and get the Macross and Gunbuster games on ebay.

That makes me wonder, is it possible to play the iso for VFX2 on like a playstation 3 in a similar manner. I figure PS3 would be the only one that could do that and since it is backwards compatible with PS1 it sounds plausible. However VFX2 is probably not that expensive to actually buy so I doubt it would matter....

Not really sure about the PS3. Keep in mind that you need to mod or use a boot disk to play imports on the PS1 or PS2. Would having an iso on the hard drive of a PS3 eliminate the need to mod or use a boot disk?

I like that the PSP needs no modification to play imports. That is very appealing to me.

PS3 isn't cracked, that I know of.

And while PS3 games are region-free, it's emulation of the PS1 IS region-locked.

For obvious reasons, Sony won't let you play any disk images you may have acquired through whatever means.

Real disks or copy-protected, bought-from-Sony images only.

You can play PS1 games on a "modded" PSP, though.

The firmware includes a PS1 emulator, and the hacked firmwares unlock it so it works with more than purchased-from-Sony disk images.

Then it sounds even more so than a PSP could be useful to me. Perhaps I will look out for an older cheaper model, perhaps used, doesn't bother me. I have no reason to go with the latest stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Japanese PS1 games are still playable on Japanese PS3s... Japanese PS2 games, that's another story! You'd have to have an earlier generation 20 GB Japanese, 60GB Japaneses, or the Limited Edition MGS4 Japanese PS3 pack to play Japanese PS2 games, too.

Some people are still under the impression that it was an emulation program that enabled you to play PS2 games on earlier 80 GB PS3s... Not entirely.

First-gen 80GB PS3s had partial PS2 circuitry (GPU, I think) and that in addition to a program enabled 80% compatibility with PS2 games. Region-coding still existed for DVD so you had to have the right PS3 model for your Region.

All PS2 circuitry was removed from the $399 PS3 and the new 160 GB PS3 models. Yes, it's annoying but remember that the XBox 360 has gone through several internal hardware changes, too, and still manages to melt down, too.

Previous generation consoles never had as many obvious SKU changes since there wasn't a question about HD replacement but when you buy systems 2 years apart from the same maker and try to mod them believe me you see changes! The insides and casing are constantly getting changed to keep people from booting up bootleg games or foreign games on the system. Manufacturers also try to consolidate and shrink the inside circuitry to reduce manufacturing costs, too.

As for the business of PS3s being completely region-less for Blu-Ray, I'll believe it when I see a European game other the European edition of MK Vs DC work on a PS3. I just don't think that'll happen too much for European games. For Japan and the US, Blu-Ray is not an issue because it was decided early in Blu-Ray planning to put both countries in the same Region Code (A) for Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray region coding affects both the videogame and movie Blu-Ray compatibility in the PS3. Restrictions on DVD still apply, too.

I don't think we'll see PS2 backwards compatibility restored to a Sony system until the PS4 hits market in about 3 years...! Right now, the PS2 is still selling too well to completely junk that system. It wouldn't help at any rate for import PS2 games to have the compatibility feature present in PS3s because of the region-coding still present for DVDs. You're basically forced to keep that modded American PS2 or Japanese PS2 for the other-region games...

Previous generation consoles never had as many obvious SKU changes since there wasn't a question about HD replacement but when you buy systems 2 years apart from the same maker and try to mod them believe me you see changes!

You DO know an SKU is almost always obvious, right? That's an acronym for the retail term Stock Keeping Unit, and it means the package has a different barcode.

SKU is not tied to hardware revision. Nor is hardware revision tied to SKU.

For example, the NES had the system by itself, the system + Mario/Duck Hunt, the system+Mario, Duck Hunt, and Gyromite, the system + Mario/Duck Hunt/Track+Field, and the system + World Cup Soccer/Super Spike V'Ball, and the top-loader NES. Just off the top of my head.

Except for the original Mario + Duck Hunt + Gyromite bundle, all of them crossed multiple hardware revisions, and hardware revisions were shared between bundles.

Each bundle was, however, a single distinct SKU. The Mario+Duck Hunt bundle, despite carrying something like 13 hardware revisions, was ONE SKU.

I am not sure, but I believe the original PlayStation only carried 3 SKUs.

Digital controller, DualShock bundle, and PSOne.

I don't think the code rotated with hardware revision(10 pre-PSOne, I believe) or demo disk.

As far as I know, the 360 hardware revisions are not tied to SKU either, though newer packages are more likely to contain the latest hardware revision.

Although that is true most retailers use their own identification numbers instead of SKU's such as skin's/plu's/etc and then these various numbers may or may not have multiple SKU's all tied under them.

I think you're close to right about the number of PSs but the PSone model that included the screen probably also had it's own model number and/or barcode. With Sony I'm pretty sure there is a model number listed under the barcode on all their systems that tells you what version/revision the hardware is if you do some research. This is probably somewhere on Nintendo and Microsoft's stuff too but I've never paid any attention.

@Master Dex

If you're really into import games just buy a PSP even if you have to wait a while. I find I play my PSP the most overall because of Gundam games alone but if this is hard to justify it doubles as a multimedia player if you're into that.

I think you're close to right about the number of PSs but the PSone model that included the screen probably also had it's own model number and/or barcode. With Sony I'm pretty sure there is a model number listed under the barcode on all their systems that tells you what version/revision the hardware is if you do some research. This is probably somewhere on Nintendo and Microsoft's stuff too but I've never paid any attention.

Yeah. Sony prints the model number on the serial code label, and model number directly correlates to hardware revision.

I think the PSOne+screen had the same model number, since it was just a regular PSOne and an LCD thrown together in a box. It's not like the HiNavi Saturn, where it was unique hardware.

Nintendo is more secretive. Or just doesn't do lots of hardware revisions anymore.

The NES and SNES maintained the same model numbers until the NES/SNES2 redesigns.

Similarly, the GC had 2 model numbers.

The DOL-001 was the original (exterior) hardware design, and the DOL-101 was the one that removed most of the expansion ports and the digital AV port.

Basically, model number on Nintendo stuff means significant visible external differences(the NES didn't change codes when they obstructed, and later removed, the underside expansion port, but that likely counted as insignificant to them, since nothing used it except maybe copiers).

Microsoft doesn't have a way to DEFINITELY identify. There's lots of "manufacture date after XXX MIGHT get you YYY chipset" and "if the power supply maxes out at QQQ amps it's VVV chipset, but VVV chipset ALSO comes with the power supply that maxes at QQQ+WTF amps" stuff out there because of it.

The only definite check was the HDMI port. If it has an HDMI port on the back, that, it's not the original non-HDMI revision. :)

But even with that, there was no surefire way to tell which system was in there without opening the box. Only way to guarantee HDMI initially was buy an Elite.

You DO know an SKU is almost always obvious, right? That's an acronym for the retail term Stock Keeping Unit, and it means the package has a different barcode.

UH, do you know how that came off to me? It came off pretty rude and condescending thank you very much! :angry:

This was not a mistake on your part and I'm offended.

I hope you're not a manager at any store because there's no way in hell I'd buy anything from you.

Get a clue about what to harp on! Learn to talk to people because you sure as hell didn't impress me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to revive dead topics but my new question fits here I think. You have been talking about stuff like this but not in a way I can understand unfortunatly.

Is it at least possible for a PS3 (well I don't have one but a friend owns an 80GB PS3, I know there are differences between PS3 versions) to play japanese PS2 games? I have a feeling they don't but I am curious because I never played that PS2 SDF Macross game and it just looks fantastic.

I suppose I could always try to find a PS2 emulator otherwise, but I think that sounds very hard as PS2 is not that old yet and usually existing consoles don't have working emulators available online yet.

Wow, this thread makes hacking the PSP seem alot harder than it really is, but then again the risk of bricking is still there and it is somewhat difficult to find/follow what you need for the PSP...

Anyway, PS1 and PS2 games are region locked on the PS3 sadly. Just wait for those amazing hackers to get it to work.

There is a PS2 emulator, not perfect, but works extremely well. Of course you need helluva of a powerhouse computer to run PS2 game smoothly. I think the emulator is called PCSX2 or something like that. Also, it is now much easier than ever to mod a ps2, look up free mcboot and/or memor32.

UH, do you know how that came off to me? It came off pretty rude and condescending thank you very much! :angry:

This was not a mistake on your part and I'm offended.

Actually, it was matter-of-fact, not you're-an-idiot.

I don't take it personally every time someone misuses a term, though some people DO take it personally when they're educated.

I sometimes forget that there's no room for fact on the internet.

You either accept that wrong is merely a different definition of right, or you flame someone.

I hope you're not a manager at any store because there's no way in hell I'd buy anything from you.

I actually run ALL the stores.

Even the little mom&pop ones.

Every. Last. One.

Get a clue about what to harp on! Learn to talk to people because you sure as hell didn't impress me.

Wasn't trying to impress you, so no worries.

Wow, this thread makes hacking the PSP seem alot harder than it really is, but then again the risk of bricking is still there and it is somewhat difficult to find/follow what you need for the PSP...

Anyway, PS1 and PS2 games are region locked on the PS3 sadly. Just wait for those amazing hackers to get it to work.

There is a PS2 emulator, not perfect, but works extremely well. Of course you need helluva of a powerhouse computer to run PS2 game smoothly. I think the emulator is called PCSX2 or something like that. Also, it is now much easier than ever to mod a ps2, look up free mcboot and/or memor32.

I was intrigued by the idea of modding a PS2 to play Japanese games but I looked at those two things you mentioned and I have no idea what the hell is going on with those things or how they would help me do anything. Mostly the first one, I just couldn't understand anything people were talking about related to free mcboot.. as for the other, just sounds like some kind of save file utility and that helps me not. I don't know that much about all this stuff at all.. I am just curious if there was a way I could play that one game.. but it looks like a Japanese PS2 might be the simplest solution... even though I don't like that idea.

@Master_Dex:

Sorry about that, I guess I wasn't really specific... Free McBoot is pretty much a PS2 bootup program that launches whatever homebrew and other PS2 programs from the Memory card the moment the system is turned on--Hence, why I threw in Memor32 as in it is one of many means to get those said programs onto a memory card, not exactly the cheapest solution though but one of the simpler solutions in my mind.

Here's a tutorial that does a better job than me trying to explain it:

^this is only but one of several methods to install ELFs onto a PS2 memory card.

I took a different approach to installing it since ARMAX is a bit pricey for me...

I pretty burned uLaunchElf and other programs like ESR and HD Loader onto a cd and used a swapmagic cd my friend gave to me. Of course I had to open my old fat PS2 for the time during the installation.

Also, the program ESR will play most backups (not sure about imports) and will certainly play SDF Macross. It works pretty smoothly on my PS2.

There's a hitch though, ESR only detects and plays DVD discs and SDF Macross is a CD-ROM game. You have to go through a tedious process of converting the CD into a DVD in order for the PS2 to detect the game, a pain in the butt sometimes. Here's a tutorial on how to convert CD games to DVD games.

@Master_Dex:

Sorry about that, I guess I wasn't really specific... Free McBoot is pretty much a PS2 bootup program that launches whatever homebrew and other PS2 programs from the Memory card the moment the system is turned on--Hence, why I threw in Memor32 as in it is one of many means to get those said programs onto a memory card, not exactly the cheapest solution though but one of the simpler solutions in my mind.

Here's a tutorial that does a better job than me trying to explain it:

^this is only but one of several methods to install ELFs onto a PS2 memory card.

I took a different approach to installing it since ARMAX is a bit pricey for me...

I pretty burned uLaunchElf and other programs like ESR and HD Loader onto a cd and used a swapmagic cd my friend gave to me. Of course I had to open my old fat PS2 for the time during the installation.

Also, the program ESR will play most backups (not sure about imports) and will certainly play SDF Macross. It works pretty smoothly on my PS2.

There's a hitch though, ESR only detects and plays DVD discs and SDF Macross is a CD-ROM game. You have to go through a tedious process of converting the CD into a DVD in order for the PS2 to detect the game, a pain in the butt sometimes. Here's a tutorial on how to convert CD games to DVD games.

Hmm... sounds like too much trouble to play one game... especially since I'd have to actually get a PS2 (granted they aren't that expensive now). All in all this seems expensive as well as difficult. I really would like to play this game though. Sounds like the simplest solution is getting a Japanese PS2... but I have doubts that that is any easier for some reason...

EDIT: Well I actually looked at the video you linked too and truthfully I have to say that doesn't look too difficult. I can get a PS2 for as low as $59 used, and flash drives aren't hard to come by. However I am curious as to how much ARMAX costs because I might want to try another method like yours if it is too pricey. To elaborate on your method of installation, what is the swapmagic cd and why did you burn things onto a cd instead of using a flash drive?

Edited by Master Dex

If I remember correctly, basically the reason why copied/backup games are different from the original PS2 games is that the original discs were specially pressed at the factory, without that physical "code" imprinted onto each disc, the PS2 refuses to play it. This is where swapmagic CDs/DVDs come in, since they are (surprisingly) specially pressed. You use swapmagic in conjunction with a slidecard or fliptop (for the old fat PS2 or for the new slim PS2), let it load and then swap discs using either of those two methods when prompted. Play.

You can't swap discs conventionally with the eject button because the system will detect the new disc, you use the slide card or fliptop to manually "eject" the disc in order to play. Swapmagic method tricks the system into thinking that the replaced copy is an actual game. Either swapmagic combo will cost about $40 or less.

But the thing is, you really don't need Free McBoot or all those softmods if you plan to buy the swapmagic combos. The reason why I installed the free mcboot was because my PS2 laser has been slowly going down the crapper and that I can't leave it disassembled all the time (no fliptop and slide card can actually damage the system). My friend just gave me his extra copy of Swapmagic too so the only thing I spent money on was a spare memory card. :)

Action Replay Max usually cost as much as or more than an actual PS2 game.

Also, cheapest way to softmod is find a friend who has a soft/modded PS2 to help you :)

Edited by shiroikaze

If I remember correctly, basically the reason why copied/backup games are different from the original PS2 games is that the original discs were specially pressed at the factory, without that physical "code" imprinted onto each disc, the PS2 refuses to play it. This is where swapmagic CDs/DVDs come in, since they are (surprisingly) specially pressed. You use swapmagic in conjunction with a slidecard or fliptop (for the old fat PS2 or for the new slim PS2), let it load and then swap discs using either of those two methods when prompted. Play.

You can't swap discs conventionally with the eject button because the system will detect the new disc, you use the slide card or fliptop to manually "eject" the disc in order to play. Swapmagic method tricks the system into thinking that the replaced copy is an actual game. Either swapmagic combo will cost about $40 or less.

But the thing is, you really don't need Free McBoot or all those softmods if you plan to buy the swapmagic combos. The reason why I installed the free mcboot was because my PS2 laser has been slowly going down the crapper and that I can't leave it disassembled all the time (no fliptop and slide card can actually damage the system). My friend just gave me his extra copy of Swapmagic too so the only thing I spent money on was a spare memory card. :)

Action Replay Max usually cost as much as or more than an actual PS2 game.

Also, cheapest way to softmod is find a friend who has a soft/modded PS2 to help you :)

Not likely I know anyone in person who has ever modded a PS2 so no luck for me there. I wouldn't be against getting ARMAX since I don't know enough about PS2s to go about opening them up and all that, especially since it doesn't seem to cost much more than the swapmagic sets there. Also I am not entirely sure I understand what you did differently than the method with ARMAX, I understand you had something on these swapmagic cds and you had to manually switch it out for another cd but I don't quite get how this does the same job as the ARMAX which from the video is just used to run the free mcboot installer from the flash drive. I'm just not video game hardware savvy I guess.

Another thing I am fuzzy on is what free mcboot does that allows you to play japanese games. I know the ARMAX can let you play other region DVDs but if that includes games then I don't see why free mcboot is even needed.

Times like this I like the simplicity of Nintendo, had the game been on gamecube I could just pop in a freeloader disc and swap it with the game. Alas things aren't as simple for Sony it seems.

Also I am not entirely sure I understand what you did differently than the method with ARMAX, I understand you had something on these swapmagic cds and you had to manually switch it out for another cd but I don't quite get how this does the same job as the ARMAX which from the video is just used to run the free mcboot installer from the flash drive. I'm just not video game hardware savvy I guess.

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I posted it so I kinda left out the of the post. =\

I meant that I had to launch the free mcboot installer in some way. I burned a cd containing a memory card exploit to help install an ELF called "uLaunchELF", I guess you could say it's a basic navigation and ELF-launching program. Once uLaunchELF started up, I have access to what other ELFs I had placed on the CD as well as access to the flash drive. So I loaded up the installer for Free McBoot from there.

Another thing I am fuzzy on is what free mcboot does that allows you to play japanese games. I know the ARMAX can let you play other region DVDs but if that includes games then I don't see why free mcboot is even needed.

It allows you to run an ELF that's able to play Japanese games... or backups of. That ELF is called ESR. ESR is what lets you play the games.

Times like this I like the simplicity of Nintendo, had the game been on gamecube I could just pop in a freeloader disc and swap it with the game. Alas things aren't as simple for Sony it seems.

I think it's partly my fault for being a poor explainer. :p

It is actually easy to do, it's just hard to find out what to do.

But now that I think of it, the Wii is actually the easiest to hack of all the consoles this generation and for the DS, it's practically done for you...

Edited by shiroikaze

Well perhaps it isn't as hard, the video seems to make it easy if your using ARMAX, and since I found that for about $45 and the swapmagic thing was $40, I can see me just going for ARMAX since the video made it look simpler enough. I can get a PS2 easily enough I've seen and I have some credit with gamestop so a used one wouldn't run me much.

So after free mcboot is installed all I would have to do is then achieve a copy of SDF Macross and then convert it from a CD to a DVD in order for the modded PS2 to play it? I saw you provided a link for that so I bet I could figure it out. I am just making sure that that would be all I needed to do after free mcboot is installed and all that. I notice you mentioned the program plays backups but you aren't sure on imports... does that mean having a copy of the game might not be the best way to go or am I not understanding what a backup is in this case?

By "backup" I mean quite literally a copied game. You would need ESR to play the game, which is provided in the links in the youtube link (or this link should have everything you need, you can grab any updated versions from the PSX-Scene forums).

Also I made a mistake, SDF Macross is a DVD game. I do not know the actual size of the actual original game since my *ahem* copy is dummycut, so it's smaller than 1.2GB. ESR requires games to be at least 1.4GB big in order to run correctly. Also what I meant by "imported games may not run on ESR" is that ESR requires the games be patched with Memento in order to play... and memento only patches ISO files, so you can't use the original game disc to play, but you can use a copy of it to play...

Also if you are intending to buy the game, chances are it will probably be bigger than 1.4GB, so all you need to do is make an ISO of the game, patch it with memento, and burn it.

With that said, after skimming the forum rules, I saw nothing against this....... but I do have a copy of SDF Macross that I need to convert for myself again... if you want, I could try and upload the patched copy for you?

Also, are you looking to get a fat PS2 or a slim PS2?

Edited by shiroikaze

By "backup" I mean quite literally a copied game. You would need ESR to play the game, which is provided in the links in the youtube link (or this link should have everything you need, you can grab any updated versions from the PSX-Scene forums).

Also I made a mistake, SDF Macross is a DVD game. I do not know the actual size of the actual original game since my *ahem* copy is dummycut, so it's smaller than 1.2GB. ESR requires games to be at least 1.4GB big in order to run correctly. Also what I meant by "imported games may not run on ESR" is that ESR requires the games be patched with Memento in order to play... and memento only patches ISO files, so you can't use the original game disc to play, but you can use a copy of it to play...

Also if you are intending to buy the game, chances are it will probably be bigger than 1.4GB, so all you need to do is make an ISO of the game, patch it with memento, and burn it.

With that said, after skimming the forum rules, I saw nothing against this....... but I do have a copy of SDF Macross that I need to convert for myself again... if you want, I could try and upload the patched copy for you?

Also, are you looking to get a fat PS2 or a slim PS2?

If forum rules allow I would very much appreciate a copy of the game. If it is through torrent though I may not be able to recieve for a while (a month or so) since my college's internet blocks torrents (they download at a trickle) and it will be a month at least before I go home again. If another means of getting it then there shouldn't be a problem though. It would probably make everything easier (and less expensive), I assume you mean what you'd give me is already set to go.

I was thinking an old fat however after looking up used prices the difference between the two is only about $10 in some places. Do you think it makes a difference? I was just going to go with the cheapest.