Macross Dyrl For Ps2

GutsAndCasca

I don't speak Japanese, so I'm not sure if getting this game would do me any good. I don't wanna' get stuck with a game I can't navigate through at all. I bought the BERSERK import, but that's easy to figure out... you just hack things into bits and most of the menus are in english. So can anybody tell me the scoop on this game? Much appreciated!

Yes, and yes. :)

It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, some tricks aren;t explained well (er.. you know what I mean) like shaking missiles (control stick left/right really fast a few times when a missile(s) is about to hit - any mode), but it's much less bland then Robotech..

I played through the DYRL story, and was ready to give it a medal (you get to go toe to toe with crusers with reflex missiles, and do the deed with with Baldoza instead of Hilkaru.) It's was really impressive. But they also have the TV story (not that it matters terribly much if you can't understand what they're saying, but it's still new missions)

It seems to control like Battlecry at first, but once you master the modes (Gerwalk is still to tricky to use well - it's more the 'fire missles while not moving' mode) it's much more fun for me, and you can actually use all modes to some degree in most missions to great effect, instead of being *completely* tailored to one (especially the Q-rau/Miriya fights). Gamplay aside, it's much more entertaining. (Instead of the 'after the TV series's real battle, you get to play mop-up with a few lost squads' side-story, you're in the thick of it)

Now, these are all minor things, I won't fool you, it mostly involves fireing at a great number of green blips with a far greater number of missles, There is a lack of ground stages/targets (why is it that the enemy is either flying or walking? Don;t they ever land or something?) and your feet thrusters overheat (and way too fast) in battriod.

But I really enjoyed, and you don;t need to know much jap at all to either.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Phren

I don't speak Japanese, so I'm not sure if getting this game would do me any good. I don't wanna' get stuck with a game I can't navigate through at all. I bought the BERSERK import, but that's easy to figure out... you just hack things into bits and most of the menus are in english. So can anybody tell me the scoop on this game? Much appreciated!

403007[/snapback]

http://www.opensenses.com/games/choujikyuu...-macross-review

^_^

As a game, the worst thing with Battlecry is the playability/controls. I actually bought it, before I had learned about Robotech's crimes against humanity. :lol:

I really want to get the ps2 game. I just don't have a ps2. Yet.

As a game, the worst thing with Battlecry is the playability/controls. I actually bought it, before I had learned about Robotech's crimes against humanity. :lol:

I really want to get the ps2 game. I just don't have a ps2. Yet.

403684[/snapback]

"crimes against humanity" *laughing*

lol man that's great

Battlecry has many, many aesthetic issues which make it a sub-par game-

First is, of course, the lack of wings in Battloid mode. The developers said they just couldn't make it work, so they tossed them out altogether which, to me, seems like a cheap short cut instead of trying to faithfully recreate an anime (note- The wings are still there in the PS2 Macross game).

Secondly, Battlecry goes for a cel-shaded, overly cartoony look. Yet when the characters pop up on your screen to talk to you, they have this crappy, digitally painted look to them. On the other hand, PS2 Macross does the opposite. Realistically rendered VF's with obvious anime-style characters.

Last- Graphics. PS Macross blows Battlecry out of the water in how clean and pretty the graphics are. IMHO, even VF-X2 has better looking graphics than Battlecry.

Now, don't get me wrong. A game is a game. If Battlecry actually looked and played well, I wouldn't harp on it. But I think it's an average game at best.

Battlecry = Meh...

PS2 Macross = Hooray (albeit, too short)!!!

Yeah get the Macross PS2 game, but if you've got the time and a coupla' bucks pick up Battlecry, also. Until Battlecry came along, there wasn't an acceptable flight-sim/action themed Macross game worth mentioning. Criticize the cel-shading of Battlecry if you don't like that look, but the controls, story, graphics and overall game experience is definitely better than the VF-X series which, in my opinion was utter garbage. Massive pop-up, distorted graphics, wierd camera angles, a soundtrack and effects that grate your nerves...Yuck...

Edited by myk

That's just flat out wrong. While VFX was trash, VFX-2 was a great game. If you didn't like the 360 attack view that was standard forward view that plays almost exactly the same as the PS2 Macross game. The ground stages were a little wonky, but the air stages were great. Dodging, chaff, missile locks & transforming were all very well executed. The only major complaint about the game were the badly rendered static backgrounds.

Battlecry on the other hand has all the worst features of the first VFX with a low ceiling (the sky is almost non-existent in the game). Instead of the grat missile lock & variable barrage of VFX-2 & PS2 Macross, it has that crappy auto-burst missile button of VFX-1. Transofrmations mean almost nothing, as almost all stages render fighter useless (that low ceiling problem), and who's bright idea was gunpod sniping?

It's got interesting cel shaded asthetics, but that's all battlecry has going for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't like Battlecry mainly for how the game was designed. Battlecry has no real flight mechanics. You can't do vertical loops because of this which gets really annoying. You can't do any of the maneuvers in the anime such as using gerwalk mode to suddenly decrease your speed then go in reverse. The enemies in the air don't really follow you. They fly from one side of the map towards you then pass by and continue to the other side where they will turn around and repeat. You can't select how many missiles are locked on at a time either. Most of the levels make fighter mode useless aside from quick dashes. Additionally the levels were very small.

What Macross games really need is a basic jet combat simulator engine that is modified to make use of the valkyrie's transforming abilities. It would also be nice if we were able to select our payloads rather than having micro-missiles and gun pod only. What about the anti-warship missiles, the anti-mecha missiles, the guns mounted on the head and the cannon on the right-side of the Strike Valkyrie? What about being able to jettison the armor/fast packs if desired/required?

You can't do any of the maneuvers in the anime such as using gerwalk mode to suddenly decrease your speed then go in reverse.

GERWALK can't reverse. It's not in the feature set.

And you CAN use GERWALK for an instant stop in Battlecry. Hit down on the transformation control.

You just don't get the cinematic flailing about.

What Macross games really need is a basic jet combat simulator engine that is modified to make use of the valkyrie's transforming abilities. It would also be nice if we were able to select our payloads rather than having micro-missiles and gun pod only. What about the anti-warship missiles, the anti-mecha missiles, the guns mounted on the head and the cannon on the right-side of the Strike Valkyrie? What about being able to jettison the armor/fast packs if desired/required?

412226[/snapback]

The Macross PS2 is is based on the Aerodancing engine. Despite the arcade aspects in terms of weapons and damage, the game has a nice physics engine to it. You have access to all the weaponry seen in the show and movie such as the Strike Cannon, Head Lasers, and the nuclear missiles. You cannot jettison any armor packs though. GERWALK mode can also be used to stop in mid flight and can move backwards.

You can't do any of the maneuvers in the anime such as using gerwalk mode to suddenly decrease your speed then go in reverse.

And you CAN use GERWALK for an instant stop in Battlecry. Hit down on the transformation control.

412236[/snapback]

It actually can reverse as they occasionally do it. Most of the time it is for a quick direction change. They'll use it to stop, then roll over and face the other direction which can't be done in Battlecry. Gerwalk mode could provide rearward flight in space by pointing the feet forward although in an atmosphere it may not work and if it did it would be limited.

Anyway, the biggest problem with Battlecry is that the only way to face another direction is to rotate on the Z-axis as the game lacks 360 degree motion on the Y-axis. Battlecry has no physics either. I can be flying at top speed in fighter mode then turn in battlroid configuration and be at an instant stop despite how there is nothing providing rearward thrust to stop me.

I'd rather have a Macross or Robotech game based on a flight simulator. Even Battlefield 2 has decent flight mechanics (although it does have a few problems). I want my enemies to engage me with some determination as well. I don't like it when the enemies fly around on "rails" or merely make a pass, then turn around and make another pass.

412236[/snapback]

It actually can reverse as they occasionally do it. Most of the time it is for a quick direction change. They'll use it to stop, then roll over and face the other direction which can't be done in Battlecry. Gerwalk mode could provide rearward flight in space by pointing the feet forward although in an atmosphere it may not work and if it did it would be limited.

I've seen it stop. Never reverse.

It wasn't designed to fly backwards, and wouldn't be effective at all in such usage.

Like I said, Battlecry gets the rapid stop down, just not the animation for it.

I'd rather have a Macross or Robotech game based on a flight simulator. Even Battlefield 2 has decent flight mechanics (although it does have a few problems). I want my enemies to engage me with some determination as well. I don't like it when the enemies fly around on "rails" or merely make a pass, then turn around and make another pass.

I like the ground parts more than the aerial parts anyways. Battlecry did those nicely.

wow... this game sounds awesome.... i was a big fan of BattleCry because i've never play another Macross/Robotech game previous.... the story was very intriguing and fit well into the Robotech Storyline so i thought it was a well made game.....

too bad the merchandise that follwed w/ the VF-1R wasn't game accurate and sucked....

Well! I ordered Macross for PS2 in the mail today! I hope I like it as much as battlecry.

412819[/snapback]

You will like it MORE!

I have both and I haven't finished BC, but I've finished Macross and find myself going back and playing missions over again...

You will not be disappointed. B))

I finished Battlecry.

Limited mecha options prevents me from caring enough to do it again, though. I REALLY want to use the FAST packs and GBP in actual missions(yes, I know the FAST packs are available in space missions. I like the ground missions more).

And the QRau! I have a freaking QRau, and it's useless!

I'd also like to get my destroid on. I was really disappointed that there wasn't a single destroid mission.

Edited by JB0

Fast Pack's aren't really for atmospheric use, so I doubt that'll be happening in any game anytime soon.

412912[/snapback]

They needed some levels on the lunar surface then! :p

'Sides, last I checked the GU-11 didn't have a Megabuster sniper mode either.

Edited by JB0

I used the 'packs on land when I was having trouble with a level Load up a space mission where you can use them, and when you complete it, select 'continue' and it will atart loading up your current mission, plus the fast packs, ground misson or not.

I used the 'packs on land when I was having trouble with a level Load up a space mission where you can use them, and when you complete it, select 'continue' and it will atart loading up your current mission, plus the fast packs, ground misson or not.

412920[/snapback]

Only works on your first run on a file, and only on levels after you've actually unlocked FAST packs.

You can cheat on Battlecry and use the fastpacks in every mission... just not the GBP, which SUCKS.

412943[/snapback]

How?

I've never seen a trick to allow unlimited FAST pack. That'd add a lot to my enjoyment.

Well, you might actually know of it to be honest. First you do the trick to allow every color scheme/valk to be selectable when you start a new game. When you get to your first space mission, make sure you start over so you can select a new paint scheme if you want, and also the fast pack. When you beat the level, the next level you play you'll still have the fastpack. In fact, if you keep continuing you can play through the entire game with the fastpack. But, if you choose a different color scheme or different type of valk you'll lose your pack. BUT - all you have to do is play a space mission and then continue to have the fastpack -- and keep it --- as long as you keep continuing.

Well, you might actually know of it to be honest. First you do the trick to allow every color scheme/valk to be selectable when you start a new game. When you get to your first space mission, make sure you start over so you can select a new paint scheme if you want, and also the fast pack. When you beat the level, the next level you play you'll still have the fastpack. In fact, if you keep continuing you can play through the entire game with the fastpack. But, if you choose a different color scheme or different type of valk you'll lose your pack. BUT - all you have to do is play a space mission and then continue to have the fastpack -- and keep it --- as long as you keep continuing.

413244[/snapback]

Still rather restrained.

Though I didn't know the cheat codes unlocked FAST packs.

413244[/snapback]

What is the trick to allow every color scheme and every valkyrie to be selectable when you start a new game?