Mod for the New PS2

RichterX

I was planing on getting a Playstation 2 for my birthday but the only one that are selling here are the older version for a price of 200 - 210 dollars, the good thing about them is that they already include a mod chip because all the games they sell here are copies. I am thinking that it would be better to get the smaller PS2 the next time I go to the states, the bad thing it is that they don't have yet mod chips for the newer PS2. By the time I came back home from the state (like in six months) they might have already mod chips for the smaller PS2.

Does any one know if mod disk are available for the newer PS2 to be able to play copies of both PSone and PS2 games.

thanks

Disks should be pretty easy. The new PS2 design i ssuch that you won't have to change the case massively for disk-swapping.

We go back to the PS1 ways, where you just wedged something in to hold the lid switch down.

Unless Sony did something wierd to make said switch a pain to reach, which is possible.

i have had both, a disc swap and a modded PS2. i had problems with my disc swap, it does not want to play all game, what it does is allow you to bypass the first (but only the first) security code upon loading so your system can reconize a foreign game which are usually blocked from being played on your system, however some require multiple loading throughout the game many games upon the second load will freeze up. it also did not want to play PS1 games as well, <_< . i do not know if the newer system will have this problem as well. i would recomend waiting for a mod to be relased or if you cannot wait just get one of the newest systems (before the slim) released with a mod. thats what i have and have had no problems what so ever .

chris

I have been reading the post in the afterdawn forums that their are some ways of modding the PS2 slim. But the price of buying a new PS2 with the price of the modding is the same as the price of getting an old model here that is already converted, I think I will put it in hold and wait, I will buy the slimmer PS2 when I know their is a mod available in my country.

The best thing of getting the PS2 in the states is because it will be brand new and be the slimmer version, here the modded playstations are sold kind of underground :ph34r:

The best thing of getting the PS2 in the states is because it will be brand new and be the slimmer version, here the modded playstations are sold kind of underground :ph34r:

by the way where are you located?

The new slimmer PS2 is already available modded over here in Hong Kong but apparently it is not as good as the older larger one!

If you intend to use the PS2 a lot get the older one, it is easier to repair/get spare parts and the cooling system is better than the successor! When choosing the older one, make sure you get the latest incarnation; this can be verified by the product code starting with something like SCH-... Make sure the nubers are at least 56000 or above (the latest is something like 72000), anything below is a really old machine and has bugs here and there. Some latest invention allows you to plug in a hard disk, load the game onto it and play directly from it - resulting in no boot time and lag!

:)

I have been reading reviews in the differents forums, their seem to be several problems with the new PS2. I dunno if I should go ahead and spent the money for the older PS2 that is already modded to play with until I go back to the states, it would stay here in my parents home anyway. I am between getting the modded fatter PS2 now or waiting and getting the slimmer PS2 when I in the states and bring it back home to get it modded.

Stick with the older chunkier PS2 if you plan to mod it! It will be cheaper and will for sure last longer ;)

Andy :)

Thanks for the advise,

I think I can get the bigger PS2 modded with two controls for the the 210 or 220 here.

I think i will buy it sometime this week as my birthday present. I can also buy some games when I go back to Texas and play them in my roommate PS2.

Ha, my birthday is on the weekend and I plan to get myself a PS2 too, along with the Macross and few other nifty games :D

I will get the slim version though as I only play games very rarely nowadays but occaisionally one of those great games pop up where you just need to find time and play it :p

Your price of US$200 for a modded PS2 (older version) is very good; that is almost what they are selling for over here in Hong Kong, where everything supposedly should be cheap!

Ha, my birthday is on the weekend and I plan to get myself a PS2 too, along with the Macross and few other nifty games :D

I will get the slim version though as I only play games very rarely nowadays but occaisionally one of those great games pop up where you just need to find time and play it :p

Your price of US$200 for a modded PS2 (older version) is very good; that is almost what they are selling for over here in Hong Kong, where everything supposedly should be cheap!

My birthday is on Saturday, I asked my folks for the PS2 and they told me to do my research.

Thanks for all the info guys :lol:

Okay, I was just researching this stuff today!

Here's basically what I got... first, mod chips. Mod chips are available for the newer PS2, but only a few specific ones. If you order a mod chip, make sure it's compatible with V12 PS2s (that's the slim ones).

As previously mentioned, though, it's a bit easier with the slim to just go for the old disc swap. The new Swap Magic 3.3 is compatible to load both CD and DVD-based PS2 games, but NOT PSX games. However, it's still not quite as easy as it used to be, though, to trick the PStwo into thinking that the lid is closed. You can try to rig it yourself, or for about $4, you can order a kit that comes with three pieces of plastic that are designed to fit into very specific spots on the PStwo to allow for you to open and close the lid and still trick the system into thinking the lid is shut. If you go that route, apparently you can argue that you didn't void the warranty, which is nice since the PStwo actually has a one year warranty.

Another option is to replace the PStwo's lid. They sell lids that are kind of like toilet seats... the whole thing closes, but there's a part in the middle that still opens so you can get at the disc.

If you're going to get a PStwo, disc-swapping might be the way to go. If you're set on a mod-chip (I've been perfectly happy with my DMS3), you're better off with the older PS2's. Believe it or not, but the laser on the PStwo is actually supposed to be LESS reliable than the older ones, even with all their "Disc Read Error"s. Mod-chips are supposed to aggravate the problem. One seller actually sells pre-modded PStwo's, but instead of just soldering the mod-chip, they apparently modify the laser as well to try to make it more reliable.

Ok guys, so is the recommendation so far to go for the older bigger model or wait, I am not planning on carrying it around the internet connectivity is a nice extra but I don't think I be using it that much,

Believe it or not, but the laser on the PStwo is actually supposed to be LESS reliable than the older ones, even with all their "Disc Read Error"s. Mod-chips are supposed to aggravate the problem. One seller actually sells pre-modded PStwo's, but instead of just soldering the mod-chip, they apparently modify the laser as well to try to make it more reliable.

indeed

adding a mod chip in these models can result in a 'popped' laser

A friend told be there were problems also with the smaller PSone, those any one know it those problems were solved? that would mean some hope for the slimmer PS2

Just as Sweekz says, nowadays people buy a harddisk and get all their games loaded onto it. This way apparently is hardly any load time and the PS2 uint will last longer as there is less moving parts contribuiting to wear and tear!

Btw has anyone tried a modded PS2 online; is it true that it will not work? Also is online gaming with the PS2 any good. I just got mine and plan to test it out!

Btw has anyone tried a modded PS2 online; is it true that it will not work? Also is online gaming with the PS2 any good. I just got mine and plan to test it out!

That's XBox, I believe.

Dun think there's a way to tell if a PS2 is modded from the outside.

One seller actually sells pre-modded PStwo's, but instead of just soldering the mod-chip, they apparently modify the laser as well to try to make it more reliable.

I remember people doing this to the old PSX's, they amplified the lasers power so that they could better read (cheap) CDR media. That helped out in the short run, but in the long run, the lasers burnt out even quicker. I wonder if something similiar is going on here.

One seller actually sells pre-modded PStwo's, but instead of just soldering the mod-chip, they apparently modify the laser as well to try to make it more reliable.

I remember people doing this to the old PSX's, they amplified the lasers power so that they could better read (cheap) CDR media. That helped out in the short run, but in the long run, the lasers burnt out even quicker. I wonder if something similiar is going on here.

The original model or 2, I can see that. They had serious overheating issues, though the big problem was warped components as I recall.

Later models there's no real good reason not to up the intensity. Laser power has no bearing on how fast those Althena-forsaken plastic teeth on the head wear out.

What happens if you wind up with a crappy PS2 missing the controller & cables that someone already swapped out?

"Instant Karma."

well then it would be too bad for that person now wouldn't it. :lol:

i shouldn't have to suffer because Sony released a shoddy video game console. i took care of my PS2 and it crapped out after 2 years for no reason whatsoever and i wasn't about to spend more money for another. if/when the one i have now breaks, i'll be swapping them out again. B))

call me whatever you want, but i'll be the guy who keeps getting brand new PS2's for free while some sucker can buy it over and over again each time it breaks.

sucker = not this guy ---> B))

That's so mess up <_< Just because Sony make POS, it doesn't mean you have to do that to other people. I can only imagine a person gets home really excited to play his/her PS2 and get a "haterist" unit.

I'm just glad they ARE scanning the serials now and it's on the reciept (not like that will stop someone from pulling the sticker off it and replacing it)

That's so mess up <_< Just because Sony make POS, it doesn't mean you have to do that to other people. I can only imagine a person gets home really excited to play his/her PS2 and get a "haterist" unit.

I'm just glad they ARE scanning the serials now and it's on the reciept (not like that will stop someone from pulling the sticker off it and replacing it)

life is messed up, so whats your point?

if they get a broken one, they can simply bring it back and get another, so i don't see what the problem is? only people that are gonna get stuck in the end is sony and rightfully so.

are they scanning serial numbers now? that doesn't mean you can't go to a store that doesn't scan them. ;)

my other solutions were to buy a new one and put more money into sony's pockets after they robbed me by selling a shoddy product. or send it off to be fixed which would've still cost me time and money.

again, i'm not saying everyone should do this, just the people that could live with themselves afterwards. :rolleyes: this is nothing new, this stuff happens everyday, its part of the game, and you know what they say, "don't hate the playa, hate the game". B))

in the wise words of one Jango Fett....

i'm just a simple man, trying to make his way in the universe.

I just got my new slim PS2 but am now a little confused with the modding :huh:

I have read that there are actual modding done to the chip and using a hard disk to play games but what is all this about boot disks? Does it work on all PS2s, I mean also the ones bought in Asia as they only play PS2 games with "J" code games and specific Region DVDs!

I am fine playing most of the "J" coded games but still want every now and then play an RPG in English ;)

Valk009 :)