Macross II: Lovers Again BD-Box in July

Zhou

I was hoping you'd see this :)

And see it I did... I'm very excited about this. Subtitles or no, I'll cheerfully plunk down my cash for a HD copy of Macross II: Lovers Again so I can maybe retire my ancient, battered copy of the Manga Entertainment DVD edition.

(Actually, not having the godawful English dub might be considered a bonus feature in and of itself...)

I've only seen Macross 2 with the terrible English dub. Do you think I will enjoy Macross 2 more with no subtitles at all and a Japanese voice track given that I don't understand any Japanese? ^_^

I'll answer your question with a question: which is better, "Clash of the Bionoids," or "DYRL" raw?

Oh it was much better experience than watching the dubed Macross 2 OVA. I just love the VF-2 Valkyries even if they where not designed by Kawamori and I like the female squad around Sylvie Gena.

I've listened to the latest Macross Speaker Podcast a while ago but didn't you guys mentioned that Kawamori himself said that Macross 2 is now official "canon"? Does this fact and the release of this Blu-Ray box set indicate that Macross 2 will become more recognized in Japan...

..ultimately leading to Arcadia releasing a VF-2SS Valkyire II SAP? :)

The SAP System would offer so much play value. :D

I've listened to the latest Macross Speaker Podcast a while ago but didn't you guys mentioned that Kawamori himself said that Macross 2 is now official "canon"?

Nothing is canon. Everything is canon. The stuff that contradicts other stuff is canon, too. Or not.

But that doesn't change the fact that in the "real world," Kawamori didn't design the VF-2SS, and any company making Macross toys wants to stay in Kawamori's good graces.

(And really... if an old movie comes out on blu-ray in the US, is there ever a flood of merchandise to accompany it...?)

I kind of liked Macross II back in the day. I have the original VHS tapes, the US soundtrack, and volume 2 of the Japanese soundtrack. I think I have some posters or prints too. But I don't know if I'll get this on Blu-ray. It certainly doesn't match the original Macross or the other shows that were put into Robotech. I like the artwork and the songs. But with the 6 episodes I always thought I missed something. Maybe the US version was cut? I don't know. The volume 2 Japanese soundtrack seems to have music that is missing from the actual anime. You guys know anything about that?

But with the 6 episodes I always thought I missed something. Maybe the US version was cut? I don't know. The volume 2 Japanese soundtrack seems to have music that is missing from the actual anime. You guys know anything about that?

Nope... the US version wasn't cut, except for the Macross II the Movie edition which removed the ending credits from episodes 1-5 and OP from episodes 2-6. The Manga Ent. DVD version of the "movie" edition included a clean version of the Ep1-5 ED as a "music video". I think most of the instrumental stuff from the Macross II OST 2 is just background music they made but never really found a use for...

Nope... the US version wasn't cut, except for the Macross II the Movie edition which removed the ending credits from episodes 1-5 and OP from episodes 2-6. The Manga Ent. DVD version of the "movie" edition included a clean version of the Ep1-5 ED as a "music video". I think most of the instrumental stuff from the Macross II OST 2 is just background music they made but never really found a use for...

Cool. Those soundtracks have some good tunes. I remembered that I had a small snap together kit of the valkyries too. That always seemed to fall apart.

Wow, can't wait to pick this one up.

I last saw this in the english dub on VHS tape, borrow from my local 'Blockbuster' home video, many many years ago now.

I seem to remember watching 'Venus Wars' around the same time...

Edited by PetarB

Wait... You LIKE Macross II...? Since when? :blink:

Since the end of Frontier, when I mis-read "Macross 11," snd thought Grace sent Vsjra after the "Macross II" fleet. Between that, and the existence of SDF ships like the Global, I can rationalize the shoes existence somewhat in canon if they wanted to make minor edits.