Arcadia Mini SDF-1 DYRL Version

IXTL

No T.V. version = no sale from me. Easiest pass ever.

*EDIT* Wait a tick, only 4.3 inches long and they want 7500 yen!? WTF are they smoking? :huh:

This. I'd like to see a release of a TV SDF-1 as much as the next guy, but even if this was a TV SDF-1, 7500 yen for 11 cm is a pass for me.

I know most collectors think $$$ = size, at least to a degree, and so a smaller toy should cost less than a more expensive one. I wonder if the design and manufacturing costs for a smaller scale toy don't scale in the way in the way we think it should. I could see it being as expensive, or even more expensive, to design and manufacture a small toy with a good level of detail since its probably more difficult to pack features into a smaller space. Making a small scale toy that can transform probably also presents its own set of challenges, translating to more cost. That might explain why toys like the Bandai Hi-Metal were not that much cheaper than a Yamato V2 1/60, even though it was much smaller.

Edited by SuperSenpai

a smaller toy should cost less than a more expensive one.

By definition, any toy costs less than a more expensive one. :D

The inset pic at the bottom right looks like it might come with a protoculture city miniature??

I was wondering that too. It looks like that'll be an exclusive for the online shop orders or something... the text is too tiny to read properly, but that's what I could make out.

For ants indeed. It says "mini", I know...

I like seeing a new SDF-1 toy but not a 110mm height/length version that is priced at 7500 yen.

More than the price, the reduction of detail is what I'm mainly concerned with. At the size that this is going to be produced at, you can't have the fine detail that a larger scale representation would possess. The SDF-1's design is filled with intricate detail that I would sorely miss in a roughly 4" representation.

I'm sorry but I think Arcadia, and Yamato before them, don't seem to realize that while the DYRL version of the SDF-1 is more popular in Japan the rest of the world is far more familiar with, and wants, a SDFM version in 1/3000 scale. I'm sure some fans in Japan will buy them too. This? Not interested.

Photo from mechadamashii.com

attachicon.gif2014-02-09-13.46.04.jpg

I do want it, even if everyone else is pass on this one I think it looks cool, especially with the in-scale city bit underneath. I think it'll look awesome next to my 1/3000.

Also the small scale makes the transformation even more impressive, it reminds me of what the Hi-Metal line attmpted. Maybe it'll fail for the very same reasons though, but I'll support it regardless