YetiStand Alpha.

ChaoticYeti

That really is an awesome idea. If it starts stressing the shelves, you could always use a wider or longer clip to distribute the weight over a larger area.

On that note, I'm wondering if a clip with the mounting point rotated 90 degrees would be useful, or just unnecessary, since I imagine you could accomplish the exact same thing with a 90 degree bend attachment at the base. Turned that way, you could set up multiple branches extending forward to hold several valks at different levels and angles in the center of the display space.

• 3 weeks later...

swwweeet. Will order some Monday!

That Detolf mount is awesome!

That is so sweet, Yeti! The possibilities of using Yetistands are endless. Time to get Detolf. ;)

Thanks, guys! Excited to see what you folks do with them.

Just got my first Yeti stand. I have to say these things are awesome. Very versatile and the quality is second to none. Tamashii, take your Trident stands and scrap 'em.

post-18429-0-39888100-1470429450_thumb.jpg

post-18429-0-02907700-1470429505_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to HM-R attachments!

• 1 month later...

Nice! I just got my first Yeti Stands too. Definitely the best stands I've used, thanks Yeti!

I missed my shipment for my VF-1S today so I'll have to grab it from the post office Monday but can't wait to set it up.

Meanwhile, the detolf stand is holding my VF-0S. The detolf and wall solutions are genius!

Pics to come...

Setup my detolf:

Macross_DSC04226_zpszemduigs.jpg

Will be very temporary as I just got my 1/60 VF-1S and the Armored 1J will be joining it on another display. My impressions are that these are the finest stands I've ever used. So well thought out and simple to use and customize. I'm a bit disappointed I won't be using the top section of the detolf mount because I realized the 1/6 clamp is not good for the figure I bought it for (will probably damage it after extended use). I'm sure I'll find use for those parts someday somewhere else.

Here's what's above the Macross shelf to show how the setup ended up:

StarWars_BobaFett_DarthVader_DSC04229_zp

Thank you for your kind words! Pics of the 1/6 figure you intended to use?

No problem! Thank you for the excellent service and product.

The figure I wanted to use the 1/6 adapter for is the Hot Toys Boba Fett I posted above. There is no place to clamp it without feeling like I'm going to damage it. There is some red string-like cloth right below his belt and that was the best spot to secure the figure but it seemed like the thread was going to fall apart or get damaged/deformed if I was to clamp around it. Clamping higher meant possibly crushing/damaging the armor. I messed with it for a while and just didn't feel comfortable with either clamp option so I gave up and used the figure's included crotch stand. I guess that leads to the suggestion of making a 1/6 crotch adapter for your stands!

No problem! Thank you for the excellent service and product.

The figure I wanted to use the 1/6 adapter for is the Hot Toys Boba Fett I posted above. There is no place to clamp it without feeling like I'm going to damage it. There is some red string-like cloth right below his belt and that was the best spot to secure the figure but it seemed like the thread was going to fall apart or get damaged/deformed if I was to clamp around it. Clamping higher meant possibly crushing/damaging the armor. I messed with it for a while and just didn't feel comfortable with either clamp option so I gave up and used the figure's included crotch stand. I guess that leads to the suggestion of making a 1/6 crotch adapter for your stands!

Another Hot Toys collector :good: . I'd be pretty ecstatic to get a yeti stand for these figures. A clear adjustable crotch stand would really make my day.

What would make a good "crotch stand"?

Something similar to what the HT figures come with...basically a hook shape. I'm not sure but this design looks like you can split it to hold either the crotch or under the armpits:

1-6-Action-Figure-Body-Muscular-Stand-Fo

Seems good as long as the wires don't slide down. Something similar or even an acrylic or 3D printed hook, maybe with a clear rubber traction pad on it would be pretty awesome because it would be sturdy and have more friction than smooth wires, allowing you more angled pose options without worrying about the figure sliding or tipping as much from gravity. And obviously you only need the hook part with an attachment to configure it on your Yeti arms.

Edited by Slave IV

What would make a good "crotch stand"?

That's the real trick isn't it? The sizes vary from front to back and side to side. Hot Toys/Sideshow currently accommodate it with a standard U shape from front to back but it expands side to side depending on how much it is inserted into the base. Most armored figures don't fit very well into the cradle and rely on the friction from the side to side expansion to hold them in place.

I'm not the most imaginative when it comes to solutioning this type of thing but the shape that would probably have the most number of uses would be like below from the side...

___

\ / |

\ cradle / |

\_____./__O|

The 'O' would be where you attach the stand.

I have really wanted something that could fit under the arms that would allow the legs more freedom for better poses and even allow the figure to be in mid air but I'm pretty sure that the thickness of the acrylic wouldn't work for that.

That's the real trick isn't it? The sizes vary from front to back and side to side. Hot Toys/Sideshow currently accommodate it with a standard U shape from front to back but it expands side to side depending on how much it is inserted into the base. Most armored figures don't fit very well into the cradle and rely on the friction from the side to side expansion to hold them in place.

I'm not the most imaginative when it comes to solutioning this type of thing but the shape that would probably have the most number of uses would be like below from the side...

___

\ / |

\ cradle / |

\_____./__O|

The 'O' would be where you attach the stand.

I have really wanted something that could fit under the arms that would allow the legs more freedom for better poses and even allow the figure to be in mid air but I'm pretty sure that the thickness of the acrylic wouldn't work for that.

It's possible to maybe just use a similar design to what I posted using hard wire that you can bend to your liking and have that attached to the Yeti arms. If you want to go real high end, a couple arms like this that are sturdy but flexible attached to the Yeti arm would probably work:

custom-flexible-gooseneck-hose-arms.jpg

Whatever the thinnest size those arms come in would do.

It's possible to maybe just use a similar design to what I posted using hard wire that you can bend to your liking and have that attached to the Yeti arms. If you want to go real high end, a couple arms like this that are sturdy but flexible attached to the Yeti arm would probably work:

custom-flexible-gooseneck-hose-arms.jpg

Whatever the thinnest size those arms come in would do.

Those could be a good compromise for mid-air poses. My only issue is that they aren't clear. My biggest want is to have the figures posed securely but have the stands be as hidden as possible. I'd be more than willing to give up mid-air poses to have a completely clear stand. Now if I could have both mid-air poses and a completely clear stand... B))

Something like this? I may be able to do this in clear acrylic, as well.

tgJZe2Eh.jpg

7yTrPBQh.jpg

2wHHj4uh.jpg

tgJZe2Eh.jpg

gM1CD1Yh.jpg

That looks like it could work depending on how big the opening is. If the material is not flexible and hard like acrylic, it could really limit the usability so you should be very careful of the size you make it. Seems like a nice design though.
Edited by Slave IV

Oooooo, very nice. I like the side to side expansion. I would be worried that it might pinch too much at the top (front to back) though with acrylic as it isn't very flexible (depending on the thickness). It might even break on some figures as the top may need to flex out further than any other point. You're more of the materials expert on that though so here's hopin'.

But even if you couldn't get it to work with acrylic I would definitely get the black version you are showing. It could be pretty well hidden and be attached to your clear arm.

Printed plastic is far more flexible compared to acrylic. The acrylic would have very little give. The profile of the "hooks" were just free hand scribbles. Any suggestions on 1/6 blank bodies I should get? Particular brand? Male/Female?

Here's a link to a fairly inexpensive knock off of a Hot Toys body. True Hot Toys bodies can be pricey ($80 - $120).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161977455680?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are many different body styles besides this one. Doing a search for 'Hot Toys TTM' (for male) or 'Hot Toys TTF' (for female) will show you more of the range of body types that they have produced.

Also armored figures (ex. Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, Phasma. etc...) will greatly increase the proportions of the figure in the area where the stand needs to go.

Printed plastic is far more flexible compared to acrylic. The acrylic would have very little give. The profile of the "hooks" were just free hand scribbles. Any suggestions on 1/6 blank bodies I should get? Particular brand? Male/Female?

Yep, you definitely want to go with something with more give in flexibility. As for blank bodies, Phicen seems to be the way to go, especially if you want seamless, really anatomically accurate figures. Here is a page with a lot of the options they have.

Yep, you definitely want to go with something with more give in flexibility. As for blank bodies, Phicen seems to be the way to go, especially if you want seamless, really anatomically accurate figures. Here is a page with a lot of the options they have.

Do you happen to have any Phicen bodies? I really like the seamless appearance of them but am wary of the 'skin' tearing or breaking down over time, especially if they are in more extreme poses. I'd like to hear more first hand knowledge before investing in upgrading any of my figure bodies.

Do you happen to have any Phicen bodies? I really like the seamless appearance of them but am wary of the 'skin' tearing or breaking down over time, especially if they are in more extreme poses. I'd like to hear more first hand knowledge before investing in upgrading any of my figure bodies.

Nope but mainly because I'm not really into figures that would need that type of body. No point in someone covered in armor to have a seamless body ya know? But they seem really good from the reviews I've seen and also priced more reasonably than I thought. These are obviously adult collector's items so I think as long as you are careful with them, they should hold up. You should check some reviews and see if there are any long term assessments on them. I'd be curious too in case I ever do need one.

Edit: Actually, I take the no point thing back because I just remembered one of the reviews I watched was someone replacing a Black Widow with a Phicen body and the thing that really impressed me was the way the suit looked over the seamless body and how you could really tell where the seams were on the original body.

Edited by Slave IV

Nope but mainly because I'm not really into figures that would need that type of body. No point in someone covered in armor to have a seamless body ya know? But they seem really good from the reviews I've seen and also priced more reasonably than I thought. These are obviously adult collector's items so I think as long as you are careful with them, they should hold up. You should check some reviews and see if there are any long term assessments on them. I'd be curious too in case I ever do need one.

Edit: Actually, I take the no point thing back because I just remembered one of the reviews I watched was someone replacing a Black Widow with a Phicen body and the thing that really impressed me was the way the suit looked over the seamless body and how you could really tell where the seams were on the original body.

Agreed. I'm mostly in the same boat. Pretty much all of my figures have either armor or loose enough clothing to hide the joints. The only ones I have that I think could benefit from it would be Ep IV Leia and I just got Rey. Both of those have visible knee joints (depending on how they are posed) that I would like to do away with.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to put my wall mount up!

Macross_DSC04322_zpshmpfrlw8.jpg

Macross_DSC04321_zps35jmk3rt.jpg

Realized I have the wrong adapter for the 1S but I had the parts needed to get it mounted for now. Again, love these stands! I've been trying to get a wall shelf or something to put in that space but nothing looked or fit right to me. Then I noticed the wall mounts in this thread and been wanting some Yetistands for a while so made the purchase immediately. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out.