Why is Gerwalk mode disliked?

CrazyDude

I 'm probably alone here, but I think it's pointless. It looks like it got stuck mid-transformation. Moreover, everything for which GERWALK is used can be accomplished by the battroid mode, so why not skip the intermediate step. Just my humble opinion.

I agree with you on the fact that looks like stuck mid transformation however I do think that it does have some purpose since it allows the wings to be spread sideways which helps with the flying. Well, at least in atmosphere that is.

Personally I dont like the gerwalk simply because its shape does not appeal to me esthetically. My favourite shape is battroid and that is maybe connected to the fact that I like robots more than fighter planes.

gerwalk mode is cool. it does look a bit forced on some valks though, just to have one.

vf-1 gerwalk is classic. by extension the vf-0 also looks cool because its mostly the same basic shape

the sv-51 has an awesome gerwalk mode (if only the otoy werne't so floppy)

the vf-25 and the vf-11 have good ones too. the other valks....i don't care about gerwalk as much.

I tend to prefer GERWALK myself. For VF-1's, I tend to have a near-even split on GERWALK and fighter. Battroid is only really used for those wearing GBP. On the later VFs, I have more of a mix, including a lot more battroid; but right now both the YF-19 and VF-17 are on display in GERWALK.

GERWALK is also so iconically Macross. After switching the Max 1A I keep on my desk at work to GERWALK a week or so ago, it made one of the other guys in the office notice it when he was walking in one day. Turns out he's a huge Transformers fan - and of course likes the VF-1 because of the whole Jetfire thing.

Gerwalk's alright.

It's just that you need to bust out an A-stance and preferably a display stand to make it really pop in its poses.

Curious though, how many people prefer the "Gerwalk without the arms swung out" look?

Edited by Mog

Gerwalk is my prefered mode in nearly most valkyries.

SV51? Either fighter or gerwalk

VF1? Half gerwalk [arms back, tailfins untransformed] is my favourite.

VF0? Likewise

VF11? Looks awesome in gerwalk, I prefer it to fighter.

VF17? Gerwalk

VF19? Actually that one is battroid for me.

YF21/VF22? Fighter or battroid

VF25? Gerwalk

To me Gerwalk is one of those hit & miss modes for some Valkyrie..

The VF-1 Valks simply nail it! Infact it nails all 3 modes fantastically! VF-1 in Gerwalk is one of my all time fav modes as it best blends

elements of all three modes so perfectly and never looks like a midway compromise.

The VF-0 is quite good in all its 3 modes as its closely similar in looks and build to the VF-1.

The VF-11, YF-19, VF19 & VF-25 look somewhat ok in Gerwalk but look sensational in Fighter & Battroid modes!

While the VF-4 only looks good in Fighter mode and utterly terrible in Gerwalk & Battroid modes which I think is mostly

due to its build complexity that heavily compromises its other modes..

I don't own any VF-17, YF-21, VF-22 & VF-171 as these all look like story gap filler / afterthought Valks.. ok ok maybe with the exception of the YF-21, VF-22.. I might own one some day!

How can anyone not love this...

IMG_5044.jpg

IMO this is still the meanness looking Gerwalk mode out of all the valks.

yeah I guess it doesn't look tooo bad.. but I never thought the design of the SV-51 ever really fit in its place in the Macross timeline.. it looks far too similar to Macross Frontier Valks (VF-25, 27 & 29) and way too futuristic for the early 2000's.

Edited by spanner76

GERWALK mode on some valks looks pretty bad and seems like an afterthought. The VF-1 and VF-0 rock it super well. The YF-21 and YF-19 on the other hand... well... they figured out a way to let them have that mode and that's about all you can say for them.

Gerwalk's alright.

It's just that you need to bust out an A-stance and preferably a display stand to make it really pop in its poses.

Curious though, how many people prefer the "Gerwalk without the arms swung out" look?

I do this with a lot of my VF-1s, it's like a VTOL mode or something, I like it.

Gerwalk's alright.

I think you only should display the arms-less GERWALK with the VT-1, and a one-armed GERWALK with the VF-1D.

Unless you got some effects to display Hikaru's missile-barrage from his 1A. :D

Edited by treatment

I love Gerwalk mode.
I remember as a kid, before I knew of Macross/Robotech, wondering why my Jetfire Transformer had an "inbetween" mode!

I think I prefer it to most Batdroid.

My new YF-19 is facing me in Gerwalk as I type this and even though it seems a very nose heavy pose from some angles, I think it looks epic.

post-17939-0-26514400-1397352751_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-17180700-1397352792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moosey

The VF-1 design looks as if it was intended to support all three modes, as if Kawamori had all three modes in mind, and then designed a shape and transformation mechanism that would make all three work. With a few exceptions, the rest of the valks look more like they were trying to be really cool looking fighter planes that could turn into robots, and Gerwalk was tacked on because they had to, otherwise it wouldn't be a proper Macross valk.

I think it's just a split from people who love fighters and squadrons and people who love bipedal mechs and those who like both. Gerwalk is like the orphan who instead of being half of both ends up not being either for a lot of people and ends up in neither camp. And some of the Valks just don't seem to be designed for it, Vf-1's looks great for it, others... not so much. I love how it's a nice medium speed 'skate' that's a nice mix of speed and maneuverability (and amazing 'changed my mind, backing away now!" options) It's the only thing that can use full force while traveling in reverse or forward alike.

Personally, I find it iconic and really love it for vf-1's but when you start getting into some of the more advanced valks (vf-22, etc) it just looks like it was incuded for tradition, and not really desinged in.

Thread title is sensational :p

Those who dislike it are certainly a minority. It's not most fans' favorite mode but it's still pretty damn awesome and is a staple of what Macross is.

Gerwalk is my favorite mode for the SV-51 and I'm a fighter mode man first and battroid a close second.

The VF-1 design looks as if it was intended to support all three modes, as if Kawamori had all three modes in mind, and then designed a shape and transformation mechanism that would make all three work. With a few exceptions, the rest of the valks look more like they were trying to be really cool looking fighter planes that could turn into robots, and Gerwalk was tacked on because they had to, otherwise it wouldn't be a proper Macross valk.

I remember the story behind the vf-1 being that SK designed the battroid mode first, worked out the fighter mode from there, and then discovered gerwalk mode on accident while messing with an early toy mock up. I've got no idea if this story is at all accurate.

Also not so sure.

I heard Kawamoti never planned the full conversion, hence why earlier kits/toys needed to swap out parts.

Studio Halfeye(1-man garage kit company, an engineer) created the 1st full conversion and later it was used by Yamato.

I remember the story behind the vf-1 being that SK designed the battroid mode first, worked out the fighter mode from there, and then discovered gerwalk mode on accident while messing with an early toy mock up. I've got no idea if this story is at all accurate.

Interesting. I've read that for G1 Transformers, they started from vehicle mode and designed the bots out of that, which is why bot mode on G1 toys is rather simplistic and often looks clunky. I also heard that SK had a hand in designing a lot of the G1 toys, so my assumption would have been that he did the same for the VF-1. Considering that the VF-1 is a very obvious homage to the F-14, that would seem to make the most sense. But who knows.

I agree with this. Especially in the way the head turret hangs low on the GERWALK to be able to attack targets toward the ground while the GERWALK is in a crouching position compared to the Battroid mode. If smaller targets are posing a threat having the laser on the bottom might be useful. You are probably harder to hit than in Battroid mode and faster and you have your weapons closer to ground level. The other valks like YF-21 have too much hanging off the back while vf-1 folds up the backpack and looks neater. Maybe because the vf-1 is more compact as a plane and is smaller overall though. (actually fit though narrow areas and hide better in cover using the buildings)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

i really like gerwalking (especially the vf-2ss)...and as others have suggested, i think it is one of the primary differentiable attributes of what makes macross...macross. i actually like it so much i try to see if it can be done to all sorts of other transformable figures just to see what will happen...(facebook page dedicated to all sorts of "unconventional" gerwalking)

vf2inginza.jpeg

I like gerwalk mode, especially when the pilot use it for air brake. Many characters did it amazingly, for example Nora in her SV-51.

And because the VF developer discovered it accidentally during testing, gives an interesting little story for this mode.

Although not true valks, the VB-6 and the Variable Glaug get my votes for best GERWALK modes. ;)

Of all the valks, the SV-51 really embodies an avian predator in GERWALK, which fits with the bird theme running throughout Zero, and is the most fitting GERWALK of any valk. The VF-1 and the VF-0 by extension, have decent GERWALK modes. The flip-up backpack on the VF-1 and VF-0 is a great design.

Totally agree. Such a shame Arcadia have no plan to do variable glaug. I like how it changes to three forms much like the VB-6.

You could say that technically V Glaug is not a valkyrie. It is more like a robot with a fighter mode added to it. haha.

V Glaug is not in GERWALK mode when it is in chicken walker form since that was its original robot mode. Instead of floating on a cushion of air and hovering the glaug was always seen kangaroo/bunny-hopping with the boosters to assist its jumps. Now if the destroids could all transform by default into tank modes I think they would be great addition to the human forces. Why? Because if you are lower to the ground you can roll (get to where you need to go faster and shoot with more stability. They already had a transforming sub in Zero. It's time to give the ground destroids (other than monster) some extra mode imo

Hence my winking smiley face. The original forms for both VB-6 and the Variable Glaug are what normally constitutes GERWALK for all other variable mecha in the Macross universe. That's why they have the best GERWALK modes, IMHO. However, I love how he took these formally non-transforming mecha and gave them a 3 mode conversion. both are really cool designs, and I hope someone makes the VG at some point. It's a too cool to ignore, and would fill a void in the enemy mecha toy lineup.

Edited by M'Kyuun

For whatever reason, I can't edit my previous post.

Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly that the ground mecha are in need of the triple mode treatment. A tank is a good alt choice, esp since there aren't many ground attack vehicles in Macross.

A ground drone that follows the monster would be great. It has treads, guards the monster from either side and more agile than a normal destroid. At close range it goes into bot mode to take advantage of pint point barrier system to block attacks from incoming enemy fire directed at the monster. I think something like a ground version of what luca had with his flying drones would be good. The monster can attach the drones to its body for space and these would have limited flying ability in zero G environments much like the regult in space. Maybe they can 'surf' on the konig monster like a surfboard while it is in shuttle mode lol

So you might have one behind, two at the side and the monster takes the front position focusing all its attention on firing the big cannons on its back while the other guys take out smaller enemies.

Regarding the VF-1 and GERWALK mode. I believe the story goes that Matsuhiro designed a mock-up VF-1 based on Kawamori's design. Matsuhiro had been hired by Takatoku to do the legwork on the toy and when the Matsuhiro guy met with the Takatoku guy and Kawamori the toy ended up in what would later be known as GERWALK mode and thus the mode was born. I think this story is a little slanted though. I'd guess what really happened is that GERWALK mode existed already but that Matsuhiro wasn't told it was necessary for the toy so they designed a two mode transformation VF-1. Then, when fiddling around with it they found that their toy could do all three modes just fine and some how this story developed into Takatoku creating GERWALK mode.

• 2 weeks later...