TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Is $377USD shipped off ebay too much to pay for a VF-0D?

I've got like 2 hours to decide BTW.

Trying to give an objective answer (in case I ever decide to sell mine);

Original MRSP before any discounts was $ 323.16/36,800 JPY (per HLJ). Factoring in shipping from Japan to the US it's not that much more.

But if you're asking our opinion on if we'd spend that much, I probably would not and roll the dice to see a cheaper one pops up here or at the usual Japanese sites that sell after-market. All depends on how much of a budget-buster it is and how much you really want one at this moment.

-b.

I think the biggest thing keeping me from biting is the hope that they'll reissue the 0D with all the fixes and improvements that are on the VF-0S. don't know if that's likely or not though.

I think the biggest thing keeping me from biting is the hope that they'll reissue the 0D with all the fixes and improvements that are on the VF-0S. don't know if that's likely or not though.

Would be nice, maybe - it could very well depend on how their re-release of the YF-19 does.

Anyway - good luck!

-b.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey, all. A bit of an odd question:

HLJ constantly has Doyusha's diecast VFs listed, even though they're also shown as Discontinued. Do Doyusha regularly-ish reissue them or something? I remember getting a VF-1S way back when, and it was a friggin' beautiful little jewel.

EDIT:

I'm talking about these

- http://www.hlj.com/product/DYSDMM-21/Sci

- http://www.hlj.com/product/DYSDMM-22/Sci

- http://www.hlj.com/product/DYSDMM-1/Sci

Edited by kajnrig

• 2 weeks later...

So... I have a question (or a solicitation for recommendations, really).

Long story made short, I've come down with the utterly mad idea of putting a few Valkyries on display in my office to add a personal touch. My goal is to have one example of each generation's designated main variable fighter... but I'm a relative newcomer to the toy collecting hobby. I need someone in the know to give me a recommendation for a VF-1 and a VF-11 that won't break the bank (no Arcadias, lovely though they are) and looks slick in fighter mode. Transformation and so on are a non-issue, though I'd prefer something close to 1/60 scale.

I need someone in the know to give me a recommendation for a VF-1 and a VF-11 that won't break the bank (no Arcadias, lovely though they are) and looks slick in fighter mode. Transformation and so on are a non-issue, though I'd prefer something close to 1/60 scale.

A VF-11 in 1:60 and not breaking the bank is unfortunately an impossible equation these days. Only Yamato made an attempt, but they went belly up and the aftermarket prices skyrocketed. However, the older 1:72 VF-11 by Yamato may be found cheap, but then it depends on what you consider "looking slick" as they show their age.

If Arcadia's 1:60 VF-1 offerings are too expensive for you, you frankly need to switch scale as they are among the cheapest valks in that scale out there. Well, if you don't count Toynami's offerings or Yamato's 1:60 VF-1 v.1 (and you shouldn't, they are crap). If you are lucky, Bandai's Hi-Metal R line in 1:100 will eventually include other valks than the VF-1, but it may take a few years with the current release schedule.

Edited by Lorindor

So... I have a question (or a solicitation for recommendations, really).

Long story made short, I've come down with the utterly mad idea of putting a few Valkyries on display in my office to add a personal touch. My goal is to have one example of each generation's designated main variable fighter... but I'm a relative newcomer to the toy collecting hobby. I need someone in the know to give me a recommendation for a VF-1 and a VF-11 that won't break the bank (no Arcadias, lovely though they are) and looks slick in fighter mode. Transformation and so on are a non-issue, though I'd prefer something close to 1/60 scale.

Buy a HMR VF1 and cross your fingers the line eventually moves on to the other series. Size and price would be a good fit for this scenario.

Seto, if the HM-R line included a VF-11, I'd vote HM-R without hesitation. But like the others have said, it's a gamble. Also like Lorinder said, a VF-11 of any sort, is stupid expensive. If you want 1/60 size, you'd need to wait till Arcadia reissues the VF-11 toys that they may (or may not) have acquired from Yamato. Again, a gamble.

That or hope someone with a spare VF-11 here on the boards realises the huge contribution you've made to this community and makes you a smashing deal. If I had one, I'd be tempted to do just that. Love your work!

Your best bet, if it's just to display, are the model kits. Jefuemon et al might be willing to do them up for you on commission, and it'll cost a fraction of a Yamcadia VF-1 (or god forbid a VF-11).

Hasegawa has almost all the main VFs at just a slightly smaller scale (1/72). VF-0AS, VF-1AJS, VF-11BC, and the ®VF-25FG (not a mainstay VF, but close). If Hase's Shizuoka showing goes the way I hope it does, then we'll be getting a Delta VF-171 (and maybe the Cheyenne *crosses fingers*), too.

No battroids save the VF-1, but if it's just for display...

Im looking to buy my first macross toy, and im deciding between the following options: Ozma yf 29, Renewal VF 27 super lucifer, Ozma VF 25S, Arcadia yf 19, DX VF 31, DX Sv 262, Arcadia VF 1S strike valkyrie(or any of the arcadia VF 1s), and Arcadia's VF 0A Shin. Id like to know some thoughts on these options, as well as recommended places to buy, tips + tricks, and what to be careful of. Id love to have the renewal vf 25 armored parts for ozma, but they are incredibly overpriced on amazon and I don't know any other site where they are still available. Thanks in advance!

Avoid the 0A Shin, the leg might fall off and if you're not in Japan you'll have no recourse. Arcadia has the 1s up for preorder and that is a solid and iconic toy so that'd be my recommendation. The Delta toys don't exist yet and who knows if they'll be good. The ozma 25s is also awesome provided you buy the renewal version and can find it close to retail.

I've heard that the arcadia yf 19 has some problems with weak ankles, are there any other issues people found with that particular toy? Also, I do want to get a renewal vf 25, but the armored parts for ozma's vf 25 seem very, very expensive, and I have no idea how I can get one at a reasonable price. I feel that the renewal vf 25 alone feels lacking in terms of accessories. And lastly, any thoughts on the renewal VF 27?

Edited by Solo Wing Pixy

Well probably in that department and as I know the YF-29's have enough gimmicks and pseudo tornado parts in its design so probably you can feel it less lacking. And as far as I know the VF-27 is not bad but is not a total renewal like the 25's, still if you are like me and you are starting your collection, the VF-27 "renewal" is a good option if you want a valkyrie with super parts for a nice price. You can also see the YF-25 with Michael super parts is a good combination (Saburo and Spanner took some pretty nice pics of this combination) or the VF-25A as you can find super parts for a good price.

Edited by Alberich

I've heard that the arcadia yf 19 has some problems with weak ankles, are there any other issues people found with that particular toy? Also, I do want to get a renewal vf 25, but the armored parts for ozma's vf 25 seem very, very expensive, and I have no idea how I can get one at a reasonable price. I feel that the renewal vf 25 alone feels lacking in terms of accessories. And lastly, any thoughts on the renewal VF 27?

Regarding Arcadia's YF-19 problems, yes even with the reissues, majority has some loose ankles. And form what I remember it's always the left one. And if ever you'll get a tight one, over time it will still become loose. Problems also on the wing bar system. A little tight at first but once you started transforming this toy, eventually the tightness to it will worn out. So when it displayed in either modes, a small bump will put it out of the position so you need to readjust it. If you're into Frontier, then I suggest you'll get the VF-19Advance instead so their more in line with each other, decal-wise and design-wise. But if you're really into Isamu's first 19, then go ahead and get the Arcadia one too since there's no other company who's going to make it in 1/60th scale for awhile. Well, that until we get to hear Bandai's schedule on when to release their DX version. And DX line is not 1/60th scale per se.

As for the Ozma 25S Armored Packs, yes, they're too expensive nowadays. Even Alto's 25F Armored Packs. Especially when you're starting late in this game. With the prices going up, it's best to learn to let go for this old releases and just focus on the upcoming ones. Unless you're just burning money or you're willing to sell an organ or two just to get those packs. For sure, once in awhile something will pop up on the For Sale or in the auctions for those Armored Parts. Don't think also that a 'naked' 25 Messiah lacks accessories, most of the guys here also preferred their Valks naked as well. Nothing will beat that ol' simple look. If you don't prefer the naked 25's, then just go ahead and get the 29's. Those are looks nice just as is. ;)

For more infos on stuff, you can visit their own respective threads dedicated to each toys so you can check everyone's notes or comments regarding the particular toy. Or you can visit Jenius' anymoon website since he reviews Macross toys. And CollectionDX for their Macross reviews as well.

Anyways, hope that helps. :)

Oh, and... Welcome to BuyKure World aka Burning Wallet Club. You've been WARNED! :lol:

giphy.gif

Tbh im not too crazy about the VF 25 renewal armored or super parts, as the armored parts still look like they would cause massive weight issues, and the super parts aren't really my favourite design wise. Btw I love that gif :)

edit: did more research and was able to answer my own question, still another question though

about how tall are the 1/72 scale models?

for someone who isnt a heavy collector is it more realistic to get a model kit or wait for a dx

Edited by zaino

edit: did more research and was able to answer my own question, still another question though

about how tall are the 1/72 scale models?

for someone who isnt a heavy collector is it more realistic to get a model kit or wait for a dx

Are you asking about the 1/72 VF-25's? I think they're 19-20cm tall in Battroid mode. Here's a comparison pic of 1/72 VF-25F with 1/100 RX-78-2 Ver.2 from dalong.net

mf01_193.jpg

Regarding your question between kit and DX figure. It really depends. If you have more budget, then I say go with DX figures since you don't need to paint it. You don't worry everytime about paint scratching (if you paint your kit) when you transform it from one mode to another. And majority there's no parts-forming not like kits. ;)

Ok.. it's probably been asked but I rather just ask again. I am not new to this forum or the toys... but I was active from when Frontier aired until a short time before the movies came out.. and then I didn't really come back here until Delta started. As a result.. I fell out of recognition of the current Valkyrie toy markets (took me a while to figure out the Yamato/Arcadia thing but that seems clear now).

All that pre-amble is mostly to show why I'm ignorant, lol... but my question is what exactly is the Hi-Metal (original and R) series all about? Does it include metal? How does it compare to other companies products? I understand it is only VF-1s right now but I still am unsure what the story there is.

(For reference, the only VFs I own are a Yamato 1/48 VF-1J Max and the Bandai 1/72 VF-25S model. I could not afford a lot back then, heh)

Edited by Master Dex

I think that depends on the state of your collection and your personal preferences.

That being said if you don't own a Yamcadia VF-1 I would go for the VF-1S reissue

If you like intricate engineered and high-quality toys you can't go wrong with both of them however I think that the VF-19ADVANCE is the more impressive Valkyrie in that regard. On the other hand the Super Strike VF-1 is probably the more enjoyable piece with all the armor. The massive wing boosters on the VF-19 detach easily and are not really practical when transforming the toy or handling it in any mode. They look stunning on display though.

On the downside the VF-19ADVANCE is not that iconic of a Valkyrie. The fact that it is similar to Isamus YF-19 from Macross Plus doesn't change the fact that is not that machine (i.e. it has the wrong deco). The VF-19 had a short cameo in the second Frontier movie.

[edit:]If you need more input I recommend jenius' site where he has a review up for both toys: http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

Edited by Scyla

Im trying to decide between either the Arcadia VF 1S Strike reissue and the VF 19ADV Chogokin, any thoughts on the two from those that have them?

You'll never go wrong with Arcadia Roy's Strike VF-1S despite of having a 'little bit' of pink hue on it. That one is iconic and classic. Collecting Valkyrie is NOT COMPLETE until you have that pink hued VF-1S. ;)

Can't wait for Arcadia's pink hued announcement for Rick's... err... Hikaru's Strike VF-1S and Super VF-1A. :wub:

Speaking of Arcadia, i've been getting mixed messages on the YF 19 toy. Anymoon says that it is a rather disappointing toy due to its poor ankle design, while other reviewers have said it is a fantastic piece. Opinions?

Speaking of Arcadia, i've been getting mixed messages on the YF 19 toy. Anymoon says that it is a rather disappointing toy due to its poor ankle design, while other reviewers have said it is a fantastic piece. Opinions?

It IS a fantastic piece. And I LOVE it! It so happens that it has 1 loose ankle out of the box. I also have loose ankle as well on one of my YF-19. And there's a lot of way to fix those joints. I shared my fix on the Maintenance thread. And if you don't want to fix it, you just have to cheat your way to pose it as mentioned by Jenius on his anymoon YF-19 review as well. And I rather prefer to own the Arcadia one rather than the Yamato one. I also like the Bandai DX VF-19Advance as well. ^_^

If you have time, you can read all the things that's been already said on the Arcadia YF-19 on its specific thread.

Besides, all toys are not perfect whether it's Arcadia's or Bandai's. The one thing I could only think of that has more cons than pros is the Evolution Toys VF-2SS which I also have. I like it, but I'm not going to recommend it 100%. But the rest, are just fine with their balance pros and cons. Just saying. ;)

Edited by no3ljm

I think most of the disappointment comes for the VF-19 predecessor which the YF-19 owns most of its engineering from. The Yamato M7 Vf-19 where stellar toys and the YF-19 while pretty good didn't fix the problematic ankle design and added some more problematic areas like the hinges in the wings that don't have a locking point anywhere and start flapping around after a while. The YF-19 also is light on the printed markings and abides the magnets in the fast packs for a more simpler plastic peg.

Combine that with the very high asking price (partly due to the massive accessory count that most people don't utilize) and you might start imagining why the YF-19 could be a disappointment and a good collectible toy at the same time.

Hello again, I have another question I briefly touched upon in the 31 thread: nature of the preorders. I read the response comparing it to amiibo and saw no3ljm say something along the line of "enjoy what we're looking at now and worry about the 5 minute PO later"

Will preorders be announced? Or will they just be there and first to notice wins? Realistically will it be something as short as the amiibo windows? (one minute windows were hilarious)

I'm pretty green when it comes to this market and all I really want is to just get my hands on a 31 (mirage would be nice)

How irritating is the secondhand market to deal with if I miss out on a preorder?

I just want to know if I'm giving myself a headache about this for no reason

Thanks again for being helpful in answering past questions.

Edited by zaino

Ok it goes like this:

1. Preorder date and time announced (I think it is always 5pm Tokyo time)
  2. Some pages open their preorder at exactly this time. Amiami does tis always, HLJ sometimes (varies greatly), NY sometimes open their preorders before that.
  3. Amiamis site crashes at the time the preorder opens or is very slow
  4. You have to rely on luck, if you get the item in your cart the chance is high that it sells out during the time it takes you to enter your credentials

This was how it went for most of the Macross Frontier Renewal DX toys. Some stores buy stock from other retailers and open their preorders with a increased price which is sometimes the only chance to get it. Other stores (like HLJ) open new preorder slots before the release date when they are certain the can provide additional stock. I myself was never able to get a preorder in for any of the Frontier Valkyries through amiami.

Recent data provided by the reissues and the HMR line show that there is a small chance you can get the item shortly after release but the preorders still sell out quite fast depending on the popularity and price of the item.

For the Delta DX Valkyries I expect the same run on the first releases (< 1 min order windows) since we don't know how many items will be produced by Bandai. If it turns out later that the items are available after release or we get frequent reissues it might slow down a bit.

Hope that helps.