A while back, Nobutreu Yuuki posted a tweet where he announced he'd be releasing a book with Yamato 2199 materials at the upcoming Comiket 86. Having purchased a similarly released book with his works for SPC Herlock ~ The Endless Odyssey ~ Outside Legend (that's a mouthfull) i just knew we were in for quite a treat. What i couldn't even begin to imagine was...how big, no...HUGE...that treat would be. Yesterday, a press release on the (i believe) publisher's site, Anime Style, followed by Yamato 2199's Official Site, layed it out for us.

For starters, it's not one book. But two. (Deja vu?!)

Under the collective title "SBY2199 Nobuteru Yuuki ~ Collection of Original Pictures", the set comprises 1 color book with 392 pages and 1 b&w book with 502 pages, both B5 size. Yes, your math is not wrong. That's a total of 894 pages TOTAL. (And not that many with text) That's about as much as all the previous art books combined. The price? 8000 yen +tax. Yes, it's high but considering the treasure trove it is and the sheer volume of it, it's actually a bargain.

Now, the hard part. This won't be available in retail, at least no plans are currently in place for that. It will be released on 3 separate venues:

- First, at the aforementioned Comiket 86, which will take place from August 15th to the 17th. It will be sold with an exclusive bonus called "Collection of Color Original Pictures ~ Episodes 7 & 20 (B5 size, 12 pages);

- In September, both Yamato Crew and Anime Style will released the set on their respective online shops and, like the Comiket 86 release, each will have an exclusive bonus. Yamato Crew will have 4 Color Reproductions, A4 size; while Anime Style will have a "Collection of Color Original Pictures ~ Episode 26 (B5 size, 12 pages).

So, unless you manage to somehow aquire all 3, you'll miss something. But at least you'll own a remarkable piece of Yamato art. The press release can be viewed, along with a small sample of content on both sites below.

http://yamato2199.net/info/news/138/

http://animestyle.jp/news/2014/08/04/7580/

Edited by westfall

Big update at the 2199 Official Site and Yamato Crew.

Most important, a new 30 second teaser trailer for Ark of the Stars:

Next, the reveal of new cast members, a new key art illustration. and a revised story synopsis.

main140806.jpg

"In 2199.

After reaching its destination, Iscandar, and receiving the Cosmo Reverse System, Yamato prepares to leave the Great Magellanic Galaxy.

But as they reach the outer edge of the LMG, it encounters a mysterious task force. The commander identifies himself as Goran Dagamu of the Gutaba Expeditionary Rapid Assault Force, under supervision of the Great Capital City, "Gatlantis", and he demands Yamato to surrender.

Yamato wants to avoid the battle and hurry back to Earth but Dagamu's onslaught increases as he unleashes a power of a beam weapon capable of transcending space.

The name of his weapon - the Impact Flame Gun. It is the latest weapon of proud Gatlantis.

Yamato is saved in the nick of time by warping, but they wander into a different space bathed in a pale grey light.

As if controled by an outside will, Yamato's rudder turns, and they are invited to a mysterious planet.

Kodai, Kiryu, Sawamura, Niimi and five of Aihara's men descend to the planet to collect information. Once on the ground, they come across something that shouldn't be there, an ancient war ship (boat).

Dagamu warps after Yamato by following its space wake, reaching the grey colored space. The planet shining in front of his eyes, where Yamato was invited, is the very treasure planet he had been looking for.

Dagamu heads for the planet with his Flame Gun in order to burn the annoying Yamato."

http://yamato2199.net/

http://yamatocrew.jp/crew/yamato2199/hakobune

I know this isn't exactly canon to the original series, but I hope that they resurrect Yamato's sister ship Musashi, at least for a cameo or something. Like in the Star Trek Universe, Enterprise had several sister ships off doing various taskings, it'd be kind of cool if they did something like that.....and hope they don't tragicly blow it up.

So does the new series take place between the last 2 episodes of 2199? Before they use the Cosmo reverser?

It's not a new series, it's a movie. And it takes place in the 2 month gap between episodes 24 and 25. As for those complaining about the "plug", it's not a plug but part of the Cosmo Reverse itself as it was assembled where the WMG used to be. Even if what you call "plug" was removed, there would be no WMG to be fired as it was physically disassembled on Iscandar to build the CRS in its place.

Yeah, but still it isn't right. What's with this heightened pacifist, anti-destruction stance anyway. I realize that Yamato in the 70's/80's or even in the present has always been a story and a lesson against the use of weapons of mass destruction, but neutering the Yamato is hardly graceful to the majesticness of the vessel...

Edited by myk

Would it be better if it wasn't orange? :rolleyes:

I'm curious to see what happens with the story now that the cool weapon of doom has been removed as a plot device. I don't see it as a negative, but as an incentive to find different solutions to complex problems in the story. The better episodes of 2199, and even the original SBY, always dialed down the effectiveness of the wave motion gun, or introduced some obstacle to keep it from saving the day.

It's not a new series, it's a movie. And it takes place in the 2 month gap between episodes 24 and 25. As for those complaining about the "plug", it's not a plug but part of the Cosmo Reverse itself as it was assembled where the WMG used to be. Even if what you call "plug" was removed, there would be no WMG to be fired as it was physically disassembled on Iscandar to build the CRS in its place.

Ah, thank you. I thought that they were building to a Season 2 with the Comet Empire.

Also, the Cosmo Reverser is not a neutering of the Yamato, it's the ultimate expression of completing it's mission. That being said, it does look a little silly.

Edited by Kelsain

Would it be better if it wasn't orange? :rolleyes:

I'm curious to see what happens with the story now that the cool weapon of doom has been removed as a plot device. I don't see it as a negative, but as an incentive to find different solutions to complex problems in the story. The better episodes of 2199, and even the original SBY, always dialed down the effectiveness of the wave motion gun, or introduced some obstacle to keep it from saving the day.

Ah, thank you. I thought that they were building to a Season 2 with the Comet Empire.

Also, the Cosmo Reverser is not a neutering of the Yamato, it's the ultimate expression of completing it's mission. That being said, it does look a little silly.

They are building the foundations in which to build season 2 IF they decide to do it.

We know that Okita promised to Starsha not to use the WMG again but given he dies upon returning to Earth, and this new threat might prove even worse than the Garmillas, the UNCF either flat out breaks the promise or Starsha might be convinced to allow its use given the mutual threat of Gatlantis. So if season 2 is done, i'm sure WMG's will be back and once the CRS has done its job, there's no reason not to rebuild Yamato's.

Edited by westfall

Yuki as medic works for me...she did hold that roll in the original series.

However...the pilot suit Yuki is a bit of a stretch, IIRC the only time Yuki's flown was in Final Yamato...and it ended with Misa/Sheryl type results. But I'll still purchase since she's saved by that awesome cleavage.

Yuki as medic works for me...she did hold that roll in the original series..

That's the logic they're going with on this one. Also, it's a Yamato crew premium membership figure, limited edition of 1000, limit 3 per person.

Only the title was changed: Star Blazers vs Space Battleship Yamato. The English subtitles are exactly the same:

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/823/

And one amazon.com reviewer also confirms it:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Blazers-BLURAY-Limited-Edition/dp/B00IZMQD8I

It's definitely worth it if you skipped the import release. And if you order from starblazers.com, there is a chance to get some neat bonus items.

Edited by technoblue

I grew up on Starblazers and love the Yamato 2199 series but I know I'll feel stupid for buying Blu-rays of Yamato 2199 that say Star Blazers on the disc cover. I'm hoping the series will come to Netflix so I can save the money and watch it there instead.

I'm really apprehensive about buying more Blu-rays after my wife and I just sold all our DVDs at a yard sale last weekend. It was nice getting rid of them as they didn't look great on my 1080p plasma and took up storage space. Still, it pained me to think how much money I spent over the years on the DVD collection. It must of been close to a few thousand dollars :(

Never sell anything you don't want to sell, and relarely purchase something while worrying about its rersale value years later.

Aside from that, I say go for the Japanese blurays, they are awesome.

Never sell anything you don't want to sell, and relarely purchase something while worrying about its rersale value years later.

Aside from that, I say go for the Japanese blurays, they are awesome.

Yeah, when I first started buying DVDs back in 2001 I never knew what 480p or even 1080p was when it came to televisions but here we are ;) Technology is moving so fast these days and its given me pause when it comes to buying new media. I don't buy CDs anymore too, just use Amazon music.

Yeah, when I first started buying DVDs back in 2001 I never knew what 480p or even 1080p was when it came to televisions but here we are ;) Technology is moving so fast these days and its given me pause when it comes to buying new media. I don't buy CDs anymore too, just use Amazon music.

Were 1080p TVs even AVAILABLE back in 2001? I seem to recall progressive-scan was the hot feature.

But don't feel too bad. It took literally DECADES after HDTV was proposed before it was adopted as a standard. Pretty sure the current status quo is gonna stick around for a while.

Provided people with no sense of quality don't completely kill the market for actual disks. Sorry, but a 1080p stream is NOT the same AV quality as a 1080p BluRay. Not even close.

I DO still buy CDs... which I then rip to FLAC and put in storage. I won't pay money for lossy compression. Much less friggin' MPEG-2.

Basically, online distribution is killing quality, and no one cares. :(

From Dengeki Hobby, the Yamato 2199 Modeling Guide. To be released on August 28th.

Oh nice! Please link if it becomes available anywhere else other than Amazon - they usually end up charging around $60 for shipping, customs & duties by the time it gets to Canada (and that's not including the price of the book!).

Oh nice! Please link if it becomes available anywhere else other than Amazon - they usually end up charging around $60 for shipping, customs & duties by the time it gets to Canada (and that's not including the price of the book!).

HLJ will have it, too:

http://www.hlj.com/product/mdw66074

Anyone have the 1/500 BBY-01 upgrade parts installed?

I'd like to see how much more awesome it looks.

I have both the upgrade parts and the photo-etch parts. I'll snap some pics of my build in progress for you. I have the the hangar bay sealed so there is not much to see there. Also, I disagree with it's positioning in the hull as the center brace for the carousel was directly over the opening for the Cosmo Falcons making it impossible for them to be lowered and launched. I had to modify it a bit so that it would sit further forward in the hull so it now has room for the Falcon to be launched. I also had to make som modifications and additions to the Cosmo Zero hangar. The main thing I wanted was the photo-etch 3rd hangar....but it is kind of over scaled and doesn't leave a lot of room for the Seagull or Type 100. I'll take some pictures so you can see. ;)

Chris