PS3 Macross Do You Remember Love Hybrid Pack

Astralith

Hello. This is my FIRST POST :-D

http://www.play-asia...en-70-4m1j.html

Finally! A Macross PS3 game. So help me understand the term "No Region Protection" as it applies to this release in July 2012. Thanks.

"No region" means the game will be playable on a US or European PS3 even if it is Japanese (so are normally every PS3 games), though I'm not sure the movie will be readable on any onther system than japanese.

And Renato is right, there's been already 2 Macross games based on Frontier on PS3 ;)

"No region" means the game will be playable on a US or European PS3 even if it is Japanese (so are normally every PS3 games), though I'm not sure the movie will be readable on any onther system than japanese.

And Renato is right, there's been already 2 Macross games based on Frontier on PS3 ;)

AFAIK, no PS3 games are region locked anyway. Bluray video can be, but previous releases from Bandai like the last two Frontier hybrid discs are not locked, meaning you can play them on any ps3/bluray player.

The graphics look great, but it seems like we'll never get a real game. Just a hokey demo with the release of films to guarantee them more sales.

In fact ever since Ace frontier it's been nothing but the same games coming out. You might get a few more missions and valks and slightly better texture maps in each installment, but essentially all the PSP games were nearly identical. Now they are moving onto PS3 but still no full game? No multiplayer or online?

If didn't notice the dramatic improvements going from Ace to Ultimate to Triangle, then you obviously haven't been playing these very much. And while it would be nice to get a full game released sooner than later, these mini-games help pay for the infrostructure on that full release. Unlike the PSP games, everything needs to be re-rendered from scratch.

If didn't notice the dramatic improvements going from Ace to Ultimate to Triangle, then you obviously haven't been playing these very much.

Played all three games start to finish actually.

And while it would be nice to get a full game released sooner than later, these mini-games help pay for the infrostructure on that full release. Unlike the PSP games, everything needs to be re-rendered from scratch.

Doubtful that the rendering is what's holding back a full game. Modern Warfare games come out almost every year and while they essentially use the same engine, they render the extensive environments from scratch for each game and all the voice acting isn't already done for them like in an anime-based game. In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) I think they are stalling on this game because they can make far more money if they trickle it out in installments forcing you to buy they DVD to get a glimpse of what a full game could be like. People will buy every hybrid pack to play, then later down the road they'll likely release a full game which those same people will also buy. Meanwhile the creators are sitting on lush pile of your money. It's like downloadable content. Why would the developers include everything in the game from the beginning when they could make more money on you by making you purchase DLC after you bought the game?

Played all three games start to finish actually.

Doubtful that the rendering is what's holding back a full game. Modern Warfare games come out almost every year and while they essentially use the same engine, they render the extensive environments from scratch for each game and all the voice acting isn't already done for them like in an anime-based game. In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) I think they are stalling on this game because they can make far more money if they trickle it out in installments forcing you to buy they DVD to get a glimpse of what a full game could be like. People will buy every hybrid pack to play, then later down the road they'll likely release a full game which those same people will also buy. Meanwhile the creators are sitting on lush pile of your money. It's like downloadable content. Why would the developers include everything in the game from the beginning when they could make more money on you by making you purchase DLC after you bought the game?

And churned out MW games and Artdinks Macross games have the same number of programmers working on them of course... uh huh.

Let's look at it another way, "Ace" was the testbed to see if the Macross series would be popular enough to spin-off the Gundam Battle series, and of course it was (in fact looks like it took over as the primary for now). What was present in Ace was pretty meaty, but obviously not quite finished. Same thing happened when Battle Tactics came out. I don't know what kind of budget the dev team gets, but they've obviously taken the "spend what we've got here, spend more to add on in the next game" mold. If you follow through from Tactics-Royal-Chronicle-Universe-Assault Survive, that's just what they've done. The release slowdown comes when they take time to beef up their renders. Ace essentially used the "Universe" version of the Gundam Battle engine. "Ultimate" customized it into it's own Macross varient, refining the melee, specials, pilot skills, and overall handling. "Triangle" took the opportunity to add in a lot of graphics engines tweaks (zooming in on ships as you get near them to make them appear even bigger was the biggest & most novel so far).

Do you think it's a coincidence that Gundam skipped 2 years of release, and even then U.C. is being passed over in lieu of C.E.? Yeah, it's SEED's 10th, and that's definately got somethin' to do with it, but fact is it would take a lot more time to do the extensive list of U.C. MS than it would to do the more bite sized (but still extensive) C.E. MS. You can see this same thinking going into the Hybrid Pack releases. "Trial" setup the HD version of the engine, "Last" refined it back into a full playable "Ultimate" version with newer graphics, and "Watashi no Kare Wa" is expanding it into the original Macross set of Valkyries. I know your pessimism won't let you think anything but the most money grubbing worst about these releases, but I've yet to see Artdink integrate Bamco's regular DLC model into their games, and as of yet, GSBD has yet to announce any.

Only time will tell, we'll either get a Macross Plus/7 hybrid pack release next year, or we'll get a full Vita/PS3 game. Btu all I kow is so far, there's been no attempt at DLC cash-ins, and the price of admission for these games has been free, as the movies themselves have been standard Japanese movie retail prices (yup, they and the LE's are usually that expensive).

Edited by Keith

If a full Macross game is released, whether it be on the PS3, Vita or whatever Sony's next-gen console will be called, I truely hope they stay away from DLC.

Even though I don't play console games at the moment and stopped several years ago, I'd pick up a new console to be able to play a full Macross game.

However, the very concept of DLC fils me with horror.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome. Definitely hope a game comes out one of these days. Don't expect localization would be possible, but would be oh so nice if they would do enough of it in English that I can understand what's going on. :lol:

I had bigger hopes for DLC but they usually only support DLC for a year with about two expansions. I had hopes things would be like the music games continually coming out with tracks, except vehicles and texture packs, and that sort of thing.

So is this just game just the reformatted levels from the DYRL stages in Ultimate frontier with upgraded graphics?

I see Hikaru's VF-1A has the same special attack; the stages previewed look similar. Even the enemy missions. I wonder how many trophies will it have?

Edited by GMANIFESS

Is the bluray dvd disk of dyrl locked?

Is the bluray dvd disk of dyrl locked?

Those living outside of Japan can answer this better than me, but my understanding is that the movie part of the disc is but the game isnt.

Having said this, Japan and the US are the same BD region so if you are in the US them it will play fine.

The DYRL PS1 game will require a japanese PSN account to download - this can easily be made on any console regardless of region. The only issues you might have playing it are if you are using a US region PS Vita, in which case you will need a mem card that has only a Jpn account on it (no US content).

PS1?? There giving the old PS1 game as a download in addition the the PS3 DYRL version (upgraded PSP port) ???

Yup, it'll be playable on the PS3 & PSP (possibly vita sometime in the near future), but the free code only comes iwth the LE version of the pack.

Oh ok. Interesting. I didn't go for the LE version. I doubt the PS1 will be able to top the magnificence of Ultimate Frontier on PSP. But that is a good incentive, i totally missed that on the list.

You can still download the game, you'll just have to purchase a Japanese PSN card to pay for it first.

Those living outside of Japan can answer this better than me, but my understanding is that the movie part of the disc is but the game isnt.

Having said this, Japan and the US are the same BD region so if you are in the US them it will play fine.

The DYRL PS1 game will require a japanese PSN account to download - this can easily be made on any console regardless of region. The only issues you might have playing it are if you are using a US region PS Vita, in which case you will need a mem card that has only a Jpn account on it (no US content).

I heard that the SDF Series Bluray was NOT region-locked at all... That *may* indicate that they might forgo locking for the movie, too.

Thank god I actually own the physical discs of the PS1 game and thus don't have to bother with no PS Network BS. :p

You can still download the game, you'll just have to purchase a Japanese PSN card to pay for it first.

Actually this might end up being the case but is far from a foregone conclusion. Bandai is notorious for not making many of their anime IP games available for digital download. Even on the Japanese PSN the only Bandai robot games available are the PS1 super robot wars games. None of the PS1 Gundam games are available. Nor is VFX or any Macross games. One would hope that they will add the PS1 DYRL game to their regular lineup after the BD launches but there's still a chance they could restrict the download to only those with Ltd Ed download codes. We shall just have to wait and see.

Actually this might end up being the case but is far from a foregone conclusion. Bandai is notorious for not making many of their anime IP games available for digital download. Even on the Japanese PSN the only Bandai robot games available are the PS1 super robot wars games. None of the PS1 Gundam games are available. Nor is VFX or any Macross games. One would hope that they will add the PS1 DYRL game to their regular lineup after the BD launches but there's still a chance they could restrict the download to only those with Ltd Ed download codes. We shall just have to wait and see.

Nah, I doubt they'd go through the trouble of uploading it to the PSN & preping it for compatability not to sell it outright.

Indeed. I wonder if they will have that team-up super attack?

I just hope their performance isn't as lame as the PSP version. As in i hope this isn't just a graphically upgraded port of the 8 DYRL levels from the Ultimate Frontier game, but some new elements in the game engine too.

Edited by GMANIFESS

As lame as? The PSP games have been awesome.

Agreed. I love them both & STILL play Ultimate Frontier weekly.

i'm only referencing the lame performance of those Queadluun-Rau's in game.

They handle so vastly different from the Valkyries & seem extremely under-tuned by default. Takes a lot to get them up to a decent performance level.

As far as the game engine, i hope it isn't just a straight port from PSP to PS3, like so many HD collections lately. It would be nice there was more then just enhanced graphics & use of a right analog stick.

Has the trophy list leaked yet? I wonder if there will be a platinum.

Edited by GMANIFESS

I wish they would just stop playing & do a full PS3 Macross game. This will be what, the 3rd 'test' game hybrid release?

Seems like it would have been a no brainer by now.

At this point I'd blame Bamco/Big West more than Artdink directly, though we know it "will" happen, it's just a matter of when. The funny thing is that they seem to have the impression that these hybrid releases play a factor in sales. I seriously doubt anyone (aside from a small portion of the already small import audience) is saying "wow, a game + movie, I wasn't gonna buy it before, but I sure will now."

Considering Zero was released pre-hybrid pack, and Macross TV didn't get one included, it's doubtful 7 or Plus will have a game/bluray combo going on. This means that the next release "should" be a full game, and hopefully it'll be a PS3/Vita hybrid pack with save sharring.

The upside to this whole thing is that a big chunk of the full game engine is done now, nearly everything they need for Macross TV/DYRL, & Frontier TV + Movie campaigns. All they really need to render out is Plus, 7, II, and the extra units. Considering GSBD just came out, I think it's pretty safe to assume that finishing off the next Macross console or Vita game is the next job. We could even see a game as early as October.