All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

because it's fun as long as you have friends.

True. Most of mine are too scattered with their real world priorities (wives, children, etc.) for us to get together and play. I don't know enough people online that have PS4 to get together with. LOL - :(

Besides I suck at the Crucible, just die, death, die, die, die, lucky kill, die, die, die, run for my life, die anyway, - match over.

-b.

True. Most of mine are too scattered with their real world priorities (wives, children, etc.) for us to get together and play. I don't know enough people online that have PS4 to get together with. LOL - :(

Besides I suck at the Crucible, just die, death, die, die, die, lucky kill, die, die, die, run for my life, die anyway, - match over.

-b.

Had a group of 4 buddies to play with, but we all tired out rather quickly after hitting the 20+ levels. Crucible is still a bit unbalanced for my comfort (I'm a bladedancer, and I feel OP), and PvE has bored me out with bullet sponges. Borderlands suffered from the same issues, but the writing was good enough to keep me entertained, but I cannot say the same for Destiny.

because it's fun as long as you have friends.

Yeah, but so are other games. I mean...

Had a group of 4 buddies to play with, but we all tired out rather quickly after hitting the 20+ levels. Crucible is still a bit unbalanced for my comfort (I'm a bladedancer, and I feel OP), and PvE has bored me out with bullet sponges. Borderlands suffered from the same issues, but the writing was good enough to keep me entertained, but I cannot say the same for Destiny.

...aren't there better, more deserving games you can play with your friends? At this point, Destiny is famous for being the over-hyped new game from the guys that made Halo, and for being extremely mediocre at best.

I mean, ultimately, to each his own. I mean, I certainly have my affections for some games that are considered mediocre to poor by the masses, but they tend to be stuff like Dynasty Warriors where there really aren't better examples of the genre. With Destiny, I can't help but feel like there's other games like Borderlands that do pretty much the same things as Destiny, only better.

But whatever. At the end of the day, it's no skin off my teeth what you play. If you're having fun, more power to you.

So bored with Destiny Grindiny.

Titanfall Update 8 is adding a horde type more and other enhancements. Goes live tomorrow. That and Diablo 3 UE will keep me plenty busy still the Halo MCC comes out.

-b.

Sums up how I am at PvP, too.

With Destiny, I can't help but feel like there's other games like Borderlands that do pretty much the same things as Destiny, only better.

Personally, I think a combination of the two would be great. Destiny's FPS parts combined with Borderlands' RPG parts.

But we'd probably get Borderlands FPSing and Destiny RPG instead. And then I would cry.

And meet somewhere in the middle on gear.

Borderlands rains far too much gear down, but there's usually something decent in the pile.

Destiny has an appropriate drop RATE, but the quality is skewed so far south you'll never see anything useful.

Guest davidwhangchoi

not sure if anyone is interested but bestbuy is have a promo if you buy any phone you get their gamers unlocked membership for 2 years free. (normally 130 bucks) it gives you 20% off any new game on sale or regular price.

deal is from 11/2-11/8

details here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7306992-free-best-buy-gamers-club-unlocked-membership-129-99-value-with-purchase-any-phone-including-prepaid-as-low-as-5-no-activation-req-d?v=1

people are just being a 5 dollar prepaid phone and getting in on it.

i just brought a 7 dollar sim card and got the membership free and then brought cod advanced warfare ps4

Filed under "Head Desk"

Matchmaking / Launch Issues Update

Since the launch of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, we've received several, well deserved, complaints related to slow matchmaking and other issues. From everyone at 343 Industries, we are truly sorry and feel your frustration. You deserve better and we are working day and night to find solutions as quickly as possible, with our first priority focused on matchmaking improvements....

Assassin’s Creed Unity performance issues reported on all platforms

Dealspwn are reporting glitching, pop-in, and massive frame-rate drops in the PS4 version. Something which is also reflected on the PS4 sub-Reddit, with multiple users reporting similar issues......

While the problems seem to the worst on the PS4, I've been hearing that the Xbox One and PC versions also suffer from technical issues. Seems to me like a case of a developer wanting to get their annual release out the door when it clearly needed a little more time in development.

The smarter thing to do, I guess, would have been to port Rogue to the next-gen consoles and give Unity another year of development. I picked up both and decided to play Rogue first. In some ways, Rogue feels like a cash grab... they're clearly re-using assets from Assassin's Creed III and Black Flag, and the game is basically a by-the-numbers copy of Black Flag, just set in the North Atlantic instead of the Caribbean. The result is a game that's mostly as fun as Black Flag, but with a decidedly "been there, done that" feel.

I was looking for a great set of enablers. I think I came to the right thread. =)

Still on the fence between ps4 and Xbox one (irk? 2012?). Leaning towards ps4 because ff xv and ff 0. Nudge me one way or the other somebody!

Constraint: I refuse to buy both consoles

I was looking for a great set of enablers. I think I came to the right thread. =)

Still on the fence between ps4 and Xbox one (irk? 2012?). Leaning towards ps4 because ff xv and ff 0. Nudge me one way or the other somebody!

Constraint: I refuse to buy both consoles

At this point, the vast majority of games come out for both systems, so which has the better exclusives? Not sure what Square Enix's plans are, if FF with be a PlayStation exclusive or multiplatform going forward. Either way, given how bad the last couple were, surely you can find exclusives on either that are better than Final Fantasy? I'm personally pretty big on Forza in the Microsoft camp, and Sunset Overdrive looks pretty cool. The only PS4 exclusive so far that I've really cared for was Infamous: Second Son, but I'm expecting more in the future.

Technically, both consoles are practically similar. The PS4 version is usually technically superior, but mostly in ways that Sony fans can argue that their platform is superior on paper but most people would have a hard time seeing a difference even if they were running side-by-side on identical televisions.

Lastly, there's the price to consider. The PS4 has held steady at $400 since it launched, but a Kinect-less Xbox One can now be had for $350 bundled with a game. That's a pretty sweet deal.

I don't know if I'm really the best person to ask, though. I've had both consoles since (almost) launch. Aside from Infamous, every single PS4 games I bought I could have bought on Xbox One, or in some cases PS3, Xbox 360, or PC. Every game I've bought for the Xbox One was (at the time) exclusive to Xbox One (Ryse and Dead Rising 3 eventually found their way to PC), except for Forza Horizon 2 which is also available for Xbox 360. I prefer the Xbox One controller to the PS4's. And yet, the majority of the game I've bought this year, I bought for PS4. The most recent PS4 purchase I made was Assassin's Creed Unity.

And again, despite a year of PS4 gaming, and despite the Xbox One in my living room, I still consider myself primarily a PC gamer. In fact, in anticipation of Dragon Age Inquisition (which I'll be getting for PC), I just bought a new graphics card that cost as much as an Xbox One.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Lastly, there's the price to consider. The PS4 has held steady at $400 since it launched, but a Kinect-less Xbox One can now be had for $350 bundled with a game. That's a pretty sweet deal.

thats because xone sales are lagging behind ps4. ps4 doesnt need to drop the price bc its doing well.

ps4 is not just technically more powerful. it is. (though last gen it was really debatable between the ps3/360, but the edge clearly went to the 360)

microsoft just made a mistake focusing $$$ on being a centerhub for tv (replacing cablebox) instead of focusing purely on gaming hardware. (compromised GPU due to costs of included cablebox to balance out) anyways, they recently shifted focus back to gaming.)

mgs5 comparison:

http://youtu.be/L8w7ltN6dXE

ps4 is the only version with dynamic weather.

well i guess its good to have discounts so everyone wins!!!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

thats because xone sales are lagging behind ps4. ps4 doesnt need to drop the price bc its doing well.

And the price drop (and the release of Sunset Overdrive) have helped, as Microsoft claims the Xbox One outsold the PS4 for the last two weeks.

In any case, they why of the price drop is irrelevant. It's not like Microsoft is canning it. The fact that the Xbox One is now cheaper than the PS4 is simply a fact worth considering.

ps4 is not just technically more powerful. it is.

From a technical point of view, it's really not. The hardware is actually very similar.

microsoft just made a mistake focusing $$$ on being a centerhub for tv (replacing cablebox) instead of focusing purely on gaming hardware. (compromised GPU due to costs of included cablebox to balance out) anyways, they recently shifted focus back to gaming.)

This is, to the best of my knowledge, only partially true. Microsoft did invest in the Xbox One's multimedia capabilities, but the GPU isn't actually compromised. Rather, the Xbox One's OS was designed to make transitions between gaming and various apps as seamless as possible, so the Xbox One's OS reserves resources that the PS4's doesn't. In theory, if Microsoft were to update the Xbox One and allow the OS to give up those resources, there would be parity.

And again, I'm not saying that there aren't differences between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of some games. What I am saying is that short of the same game running on each console on identical TVs side-by-side, most people aren't going to notice those differences. Someone who only buys an Xbox One is more likely to notice that they're missing out on a game like Infamous than an extra weather feature in Kojima's $30 demo.

In other words, minor graphical differences (like 900p vs 1080p) are probably less of a reason to pick one console over the other than price. And frankly, the price difference is probably less important than which system actually has the games you want to play. While most games come out for both, there's still the odd exclusive. And while Microsoft probably has more better exclusives (at least between consoles) so far, Sony has lots of great franchises that just haven't made the jump to next-gen yet.

Guest davidwhangchoi

From a technical point of view, it's really not. The hardware is actually very similar.

In theory, if Microsoft were to update the Xbox One and allow the OS to give up those resources, there would be parity.

the ps4 GPU is clearly ahead the xone, it's not debatable. but multi platform games, devs are trying to make them as evenly as possible so it's the devs not the hardware are why you can't notice the difference between versions.

360 was the same, ps3 couldn't match the 360 in GPU so devs had to make each games similar. (they were really dumbing it down to get the common denominator) but still, some games clearly were out matched. bayonetta for the 360 hands down was superior. fry cry 3, gtaIV and a few others. i can't think of one ps3 game that was better over the 360 except the rare occasion which ps3 was the lead platlform for a game dev.

there's a wider gap between the ps4 and xone GPU so you'll see more limitations leak on certain games due to the fact the ps4 GPU can handle more. (higher res without upscaling)

it is no theory the Os has been freed up on the xone,

link:

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-xbox-one-is-10-percent-more-powerful-without-kinect/

but that has to do with cpu power, (my fault, it's not cpu bump but free up GPU usage)

however, the limitation of the GPU of the xone remains, you may be able to free up memory usage or bump up the bus clock speed (overclock to get a bit more juice out of a GPU) but it is what it is. and microsoft knows it.

but i have to agree it is the exclusives that will drive people since if we're talking multi platform, PC will usually wins in the performance dept unless it's UBIsoft with their poorly optimized PC ports.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

At this point I'm, and I never thought I would say this, am going Wii U. It has more fun games and the current gaming landscape on the other consoles is blah. I'm not an FPS or much of an online guy so most of their best offerings are lost on me. Plus there's not one game on either of those consoles that I'm excited for nor will be until Arkham Knight debuts. Wii U on the other hand has a ton of great fun games I can play with my girl or just more my current style. I blame getting a 3DS XL last year for finally bringing me back to Nintendo.

Guest davidwhangchoi

lol anyways, here's a quote supporting Mikeszekely's inital post as well as our dialogue:

"Despite the resolution difference and upscaling, though, there is visually very little difference between the Xbox One and PS4. By virtue of being based on the same GPU architecture, games on both consoles will look very, very similar — the same lighting, the same textures (presuming the Xbox One’s lower bandwidth isn’t a bottleneck), the same smoke, and so on. If you are playing games from a reasonable distance (10 feet, 3 meters), you are unlikely to see much, if any difference between the consoles.
With that said, irrespective of whether developers can harness the Xbox One’s ESRAM, I don’t think Microsoft’s console will ever compete with the PS4’s larger GPU. I think the PS4 will always have the edge when it comes to raw graphics power, and thus higher output resolution and smoother frame rates. In reality, due to commercial restraints, I expect most cross-platform games will look virtually identical across the two consoles for their entire lifecycle. PS4 exclusives that take full advantage of the console’s superior hardware, though, such as masterpieces produced by Naughty Dog, will probably look significantly better than anything on the Xbox One."

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare/2

Regardless, The PC Master Race will destroy any console claim.

Edited by davidwhangchoi