The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

Exactly, old & or unsuccessful OVA's don't count.

So anyway, got my box set today, and it's simply beautiful. Haven't watched it yet, but I'll be damned if any packaging in the world comes close to what you get in Japan. The Noriko & Nono figure is awesome, box art is great, and comes with character line-art cards.

How tall are the figures? Is the paint job and sculpt good? :)

The figures are pretty small, Nono is maybe 4 or so inches since she's sitting, and Noriko is in the same scale but standing. The face on Noriko isn't as nice as others have been, but is far from bad, and Nono is awesome, plus seems to have a little junk in her trunk.

Big News from Anime LA.

Bandai's panel this morning was pretty much dedicated to Gunbuster. Since I was almost the only one asking questions, much has been learned. The highlight being the first showing of episode one's DVD.

I meant to write this earlier. Since I'm worn out, I'll try to stay to the point.

First, some non-Gunbuster news that may be of interest.

They have licensed Wings of Rean.

They've also licensed a title that I don't remember.

Unsurprisingly, they've finally announced The Wings of Honneamise.

Diebuster news.

It will be released under the Gunbuster 2 title.

Three discs of two episodes each. No box planned for the moment.

Gunbuster news.

The meat of the post, I'll divide this into sections.

The Good:

DVD looked and sounded great.

The menus are simple and effective.

Extra clips in 2.0, 5.1, and 5.1 minus dialogue.

Packaging quality in superb. The inside of the case (behind the discs) is a line drawing of the Exelion, with quotes from the series. Booklet looks great and informative (I think someone made off with the sample.)

Translation seems pretty spot on. From Daughter of Defeat to Lightning Kick. Onee-sama is kept in.

Episode six title was given to them by Gainax. I still don't like it as much as the old, but at least it's official.

The Bad

No text translation. Period. I asked, and it was felt that all important info was onscreen. I suggested posting translations on the site.

The Ugly

I know this will probably cause a lot of bad murmurs here. It's rather sad that it's not mentioned in any reviews. It seems I was the first to catch it.

The music in Noriko's training session with Coach has been replaced. It now used some battle prep music. It still works, but the sound is a tad off for those aware to notice. I was sitting through the panel with a big grin that evaporated when it happened.

Naturally, it was the first thing I asked about. The rep seemed surprised by the question. It was though was unaware of the change. As it turned out he forgot. As I walked with the reps afterwards, it seemed to come back to him. He believes it was a copyright issue. He said he'd look into it, and post about it on the website. Discussing it with a friend of mine, he figured they thought it too similar to "Chariots of Fire", so they swapped it out.

Needless to to say, I was rather crushed to see this happen. I'll probably rip the audio from the R0. I really don't know how to feel about it.

I'll feel better if they make an official announcement of it. At least a mention on the site. It doesn't sit well with me that I'm the absolute only person to catch it. Even Chris Beverage, who claimed that the series was one he'd take to a desert island, didn't catch it to my knowledge.

Since I don't want to end this on such a sour note.

The Excellent

Both the Gunbuster and the Diebuster compilation films are going to be released. They're looking at sometime in Autumn.

Given the questions, I wouldn't be surprised if they think of me as the Gunbuster poster child. ^_^;;

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Wow Mercurial Morpheus, thanks for taking the time to ask all the questions at the con and post all the awnsers here.

Unsurprisingly, they've finally announced The Wings of Honneamise.

We all knew it was coming, i'm over the moon to finally see a proper release this masterpiece of a movie.

The music in Noriko's training session with Coach has been replaced. It now used some battle prep music. It still works, but the sound is a tad off for those aware to notice. I was sitting through the panel with a big grin that evaporated when it happened.

Naturally, it was the first thing I asked about. The rep seemed surprised by the question. It was though was unaware of the change. As it turned out he forgot. As I walked with the reps afterwards, it seemed to come back to him. He believes it was a copyright issue. Discussing it with a friend, he figured they thought it too similar to "Chariots of Fire", so they swapped it out. He said he'd look into it, and post about it on the website.

Nooooooo! Of all the series it had to happen to Gunbuster :(

The chariots of fire parody music was fantastic. It always puzzles me when copyright issues arise. This was never an issue with the US Rendition's release in 1990 and the Manga re-release in 1996 on vhs.

So why now?

Needless to to say, I was rather crushed to see this happen. I'll probably rip the audio from the R0. I really don't know how to feel about it.

Hmm, I might now import buying the Region 2 verison from Japan or the Region 3 from Korea to supplement my Region 1 purchase.

Can you also post this on the animeondvd forums?

Edited by Area88

I'm not bothered if the music is changed in one scene, as long as they don't cut out scenes like they done with the UK version. I would still get this set because it is far superior than the UK version I've got, I wouldn't buy the Japanese version just because they changed a little music and its also expensive I think.

Diebuster news.

It will be released under the Gunbuster 2 title.

UGH! That means that the interludes won't make a damn bit of sense to the regular non-fanboy audience.

Three discs of two episodes each. No box planned for the moment.

Oh it'll get a box! Especially when it doesn't sell as well as they think it will. I'll only buy the boxed set.

The Bad

No text translation. Period. I asked, and it was felt that all important info was onscreen. I suggested posting translations on the site.

INFINITELY BAD and simple laziness/cheapness on their end. They will HAVE TO put in text translation because some of it is completely necessary to the story's development! Sheeesh!

--------

What's the big deal with the "The Wings of Honneamise" re-release?

..........Stupid Bandai (Visual)! ....since I already have the R2, I'll live with it. Sometime in the future when mixing digital media will be easier than it is now, I'll make my own perfect version. But I'll be damned if that's not stupid as all hell. The freakin' show is a parody to begin with!

I'm going to write them in a useless effort to get it fixed even though it won't happen and it's probably too late anyway. Also, no box with Diebuster is just as foolish...I want a box!!!

I'm glad to hear about the gattai movie's being licensed too though, even though I just bought the R2's (consdiering the already existing OVA change) I won't mind buying them again. Speaking of which, unfortunately as far as I can tell by skimming through them, while there may be new animation (haven't watched diebuster in its entirety to check it all yet), there is no new rumored scene with Noriko. There is some radio drama on the extra features disc, so it may be there in audio form.

I'm also glad to hear about Wings of Honneamise, as I'd passed on Manga's travesty of a release, and was getting the itch to track a disc down. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Damn that audio thing, why can't we get an R1 break for a change!

Come on guys, is it really that bad that they changed the music? Is 1 or 2 minutes of altered music enough to make you want to go and buy another copy from Japan or elsewhere which could be more expensive.

Then you'll have two copies of the same show and the total cost of them together is really going to hurt some. Sure it's annoying that its altered, but is it worth spending more money for another copy?

If they were to alter the show in a way that takes away from the story/ viewing, then thats what would annoy me. Like my UK version has scenes cut from it, thats much worst.

Yes. US Renditions release of Gunbuster is what brought me back into watching anime. I wanted this long awaited release to be as perfect as possible, and Honneamise's mandate as I understood it was to release products with no alterations from their Japanese counterpart except for the addition of english translation. This isn't the case anymore.

I want the english translation but I also want unaltered audio as well.

If they were to alter the show in a way that takes away from the story/ viewing, then thats what would annoy me. Like my UK version has scenes cut from it, thats much worst.

It may not alter the direction of the story but it does change the atmosphere of that scene.

This is not a huge issue but since i want the show in it's complete original form then looking for alternatives is fine with me. I personally am still going to buy the R1 release.

Come on guys, is it really that bad that they changed the music? Is 1 or 2 minutes of altered music enough to make you want to go and buy another copy from Japan or elsewhere which could be more expensive.

Then you'll have two copies of the same show and the total cost of them together is really going to hurt some. Sure it's annoying that its altered, but is it worth spending more money for another copy?

Unnecessary alterations are complete and total bullsh!t! If they'd come out and said they were doing this months ago, that would have been one thing. But to try & slip it by us is a complete and total different thing. Anger in this situation is normal. No one said they weren't still buying it, just that they were somewhat pissed about the lying. Same thing happened when Bandai ent tried to slip the Zeta intro/ending thing past everyone a couple years ago. I'd just thought Bandai Visual was supposed to be above that sorta thing, live and learn.

It does now make sense why they spontaniously offered an R1 release of the original R2 box (without subtitles) a few months back, but again, if they had told us that this was why, it would have been much more acceptable.

Well, copy right is a funny thing, in my opinion, sometimes when a show is not popular enough and is using materials similar to or copied from another source, the copy right holders would sometimes turn a blind eye, but once that show gains popularity they would want to cash in and threaten to take action.

Anime is similar to this because it wasn't really popular when it first reached the West, in the UK anime received a bad press, with some people wanting it banned. I don't know how it was in the US but i'm guessing anime wasn't popular as well. Bandai Visual is probably worried about this with Gunbuster now that the anime genre in the US is popular.

Edit- a good example of this is file sharing of music like napster, MP3 music was being shared for a long time without any issues, till it gained popularity and the music industry started to take notice.

Edited by kung flu

Yes. It it is.

Thankfully, I already own the R2 release. I'll get the R1 (already have it pre-ordered), but this does diminish my joy at getting it. The no text translations is just amateurish.

Edited by JELEINEN

Well, copy right is a funny thing, in my opinion, sometimes when a show is not popular enough and is using materials similar to or copied from another source, the copy right holders would sometimes turn a blind eye, but once that show gains popularity they would want to cash in and threaten to take action.

Anime is similar to this because it wasn't really popular when it first reached the West, in the UK anime received a bad press, with some people wanting it banned. I don't know how it was in the US but i'm guessing anime wasn't popular as well. Bandai Visual is probably worried about this with Gunbuster now that the anime genre in the US is popular.

Not protecting your copy right period is stupid and erodes your legal abilities to defend it. But yeah BV is running scared on this, but frankly "sounds too close to" isn't a valid enough amount of reason to not attempt to have it professionally looked into by others. Even then I'd be saying just get the authorization for it's usage simply due to it's age.

Anyways I just want the 'legal & professional' translation with the convenience of a Dub, not a reconfigured adaption.

Not protecting your copy right period is stupid and erodes your legal abilities to defend it. But yeah BV is running scared on this, but frankly "sounds too close to" isn't a valid enough amount of reason to not attempt to have it professionally looked into by others. Even then I'd be saying just get the authorization for it's usage simply due to it's age.

Anyways I just want the 'legal & professional' translation with the convenience of a Dub, not a reconfigured adaption.

That's not true. Copyright can't be lost like that (you own it until it expires). The defend it or lose it principle is for trade marks.

Actually it is. Sure it's not like Trade Marking, which also have the same protections but falls under the use or lose garbage, however it's EXTREMELY abusable and DOES erode your copyrights value. I never said anything about losing it(via ownership), just losing control over it(your mistaking IP copyright with the normal copyright) which renders it public domain.

Maybe the version shown in the anime convention was not a final release version

Nope. It was the DVD set itself. Besides, the release is less than a month away, of course it's the finished product. They were passing it's box around for crying out loud. If this was months ago, I might hold my breath on it but it's not.

I'm actually curious how they did it. Weren't the master's lost?

It is a big deal. Like Area 88 said, the atmosphere is altered. The average fan may not notice (as the reviews atest to), but a dedicated one like myself sure as hell did. It changed my whole perception while watching the episode. One should not feel distressed upon viewing their favorite anime.

Though I too am more peeved at the omission of mention. My mentioning of it was met with an almost, 'Ack, he caught us' feeling (though I'm certain he truly did forget). It just doesn't sit well with me that a major part of the score over a major scene has been replaced, and the first I'm hearing of it is while actually watching the DVD. That's called a nasty surprise. Imagine how I'd feel if I'd just bought it. I'm sure most people here would be even more pissed.

They did a reasonably decent job of mixing in the new piece. It seems to have been tailored to fit. Though it does have a bit of a remix sound to it. So I'm not entirely surprised that I'm the first the catch it. Most people must've just assumed it was a rough spot on the remastering, if they noticed that at all.

I'm grabbing the R0 eventually for completests sake. The Gainax is unaltered, since this is a portt, it should bwe as well. Its a saimple matter of putting the R0's audio on the R1's video.

You're welcome for the questions. Asside from the Gunbuster 2 news, all Gunbuster news was learned through them, including the film news.

I need to run this all by ANN. I wish i could remember the title of the third license.

Anyone is free to report this to AOD. I don't have an account there (I lost it years back, as I just don't visit the site). Just give credit where credit is due.

Also, I forgot to mention tat they said they'd be looking into releasin their titles on BluRay or HD-DVD, so we may get an HD release eventually.

Yeah, one or the other. It shouldn't be too hard. It shouldn't be necessary eiter, though...

Though I'll probably just stick to my tapes or somethingm knowing me anyway. Never been much of a DVD fan. Though this is, of course, a must have.

Just a note, it was a fan of mine that suggested Chariots of Fire. The rep was never completely postive.

INFINITELY BAD and simple laziness/cheapness on their end. They will HAVE TO put in text translation because some of it is completely necessary to the story's development! Sheeesh!

--------

What's the big deal with the "The Wings of Honneamise" re-release?

Well, this is just the first epiode. Since I'm now well rested, there was some. Namely the announcement of Noriko and Kazumi being selected. That's all I remember seeing. None of the opening newspapers, nor the application was translated. So basically, only the most vital info is being translated.

forgive me for the minor error.

The Honneamise release will probably be the re-release Manga wanted to do, but Bandai screwed them over to prevent them from renewing it, let alone to get the remaster and all the bonus footage.

Lack of newspaper translations I can deal with, I just as long as they stuck with the major text titles it'll be ok. If you want a decent source to rip the audio from, I'd stay away from the R0 release, as that's good for only one thing, existing when there are no other Gunbuster DVD's :) If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative to the R2, try the R3 (official Korean) release. www.dvdasian.com

BTW, info now posted over at AOD.

Edited by Keith

The Honneamise release will probably be the re-release Manga wanted to do, but Bandai screwed them over to prevent them from renewing it, let alone to get the remaster and all the bonus footage.

Manga, I hate them, their releases are mostly rubbish quality and it was them that gave anime a bad name in the UK. So I'm glad Gunbuster is being released by another company.

Yeah, important text is translated. Still, it would've been nice if the average viewer knew that when she mentioed following in her father's footsteps that an application to a space academy was onscreen though. They wouldn't need everthing, like KareKano, but the jest of it woul be nice.

I'd consider the cheaper R3, but I'd rather not buy something I have to mess with my region settings to use. That, and it's more convenient to buy from a store than online for me. Then I don't have to run it past my mother. ^_^;;

The pice difference isn't all that big after shipping usually anyway. Kinokuniya has a ton of them. They'll probably clearence them after the 20th anyway.

Though I'll probably get it anyway for the packaging and such, as long as it's an official release. Though the link you gave me doesn't appear to feature the open matte version either. It appears to be three discs. Why does the box look different from the previous link? Different side?

One other small chevet was the title screen. The title pops up, and we get a subtitle saying, "Gunbuster". So the only title translation we get is the part already in english. Nice.... It's a small thing, but was a sub saying, "Aim for the Top!" too much to ask for?

I meant to bring it up, but got sidetracked over the music.

Thanks for the crosspost. I realise that I'll have to sign up again anyway, as I have to enter their contest.

Also, concerning the box for Diebuster. I guy asked about a boxset. He said there were no plans at the moment. I'm not sure about whether that also means a Vol 1 box. He didn't make mention of one though. More fatigue induced confusion. Apoligies.

Also, could you perhaps specify in the thread that it was my friend that suggested the Chariots of Fire link. It's probably true, but I noticed the wording looks like the rep said it. Probably not that big a deal though, as it's the most likely candidate.

Either way, I'm glad Gunbuster is coming out on dvd, it may not be the best version but at least its got english subtitles, its more complete than my UK version, and I'll be looking forward to die-buster and the movies. Kieth if you watched the movies can you tell us whats new in them please. :)

you can always do what Hurin did with the macross R2 movie. Just inject the subtitles into the Gunbuster R2 DVD and you're all set.

That'll work assuming the video segments are the exact same length, and I mean down to the millisecond. If Bandai decides to throw in their logo at the beginning or shave off some of the introductory black before the actual anime starts, the subtitles will be thrown off sync. And I'd imagine that re-timing them would be very time consuming.

edit: The same notion applies to replacing the edited R1 audio track with the unchanged R2 audio track. They have to be the same precise length.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

That'll work assuming the video segments are the exact same length, and I mean down to the millisecond. If Bandai decides to throw in their logo at the beginning or shave off some of the introductory black before the actual anime starts, the subtitles will be thrown off sync. And I'd imagine that re-timing them would be very time consuming.

edit: The same notion applies to replacing the edited R1 audio track with the unchanged R2 audio track. They have to be the same precise length.

If your buying the R1 version and also a R2 version, then theres no need to go through all this subtitle fixing, because you already have a translated R1 version, you can watch the R2 without the subtitles, why go through such measures which would only waste your time and you already know what they are saying from the R1 dvd.

If your buying the R1 version and also a R2 version, then theres no need to go through all this subtitle fixing, because you already have a translated R1 version, you can watch the R2 without the subtitles, why go through such measures which would only waste your time and you already know what they are saying from the R1 dvd.

So you don't have to memorize the subs.

So you have it as a single complete package.

So you can show it to friends who've never seen it correctly.

Because you'll be fixin somethin thast sholdn't be broken.

Because it's really not all that hard.

The list goes on....