Bandai to release Star Wars Model kits

Now, THAT is good news. Will give me an excuse to pick up 12 more 1/48th X-wings, and make the entire Bacta War Rogue squadron. :D

...Ok, probably not all of them, that would cost a ton. :lol: But 3 or 4 is pretty doable.

Any estimated date on when they'll start hitting US retail shelves?

Edited by Chronocidal

Guest davidwhangchoi

All I want to know is when we are getting 1:48 Ywing, BWing, Awing, and everything else 1:48 for that matter out of the SW universe!

+1

curious what the 1/48 x wing kit looks like un built out of the box...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

^All that means is that HLJ, and others, have sold out of their preorder allotments. The 1/48 X-Wing isn't a limited edition kit, AFAIK, so they'll get restock after release, and should be available as an in-stock or back-order item for a long time to come.

They may even get a bigger preorder allotment closer to the release date. It's just a matter that they know they'll get at least a certain amount of kits on the first shipment, and they don't want to overextend what they know they'll be allotted. However, if Bandai makes more during the initial run, HLJ may be offered a bigger initial release allotment, and they'll open up preorders again.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's anything like their Trek kits, it might. Unless the entire thing comes pre-painted though, I dont understand it being so expensive. Trashy as it was, the pro-shop kit was half the cost, and 50% bigger, with pretty much the same list of features.

Edit: Just watched that video.. just... no. (insert one of Duke's pics here, cant search for one at the moment.)

That just looks like the most electronically bloated kit I've seen yet. Offer me just the sprues, and we'll talk, but seriously.. why can't they just make a nice model?

As a side note.. interesting to make the wing markings as red plastic panels... but then you have to stick the stripes on as stickers, or paint them? What? :blink:

Edited by Chronocidal

It's probably not limited, so I wouldn't worry. Bandai's model division has a completely different marketing mindset than their toy division, and actually keeps making things people want to buy. :p

I'm just going to wait and hope for a version without all the electronic stuff, since it bumps the price way out of the "reasonable" range for me.

So what do you guys think the feasability of Bandai doing a 1/72 scale Tantive IV is? Yeah she's big, but going by the size of the ship in the films where its seen it really isn't all that big. Maybe enough to not be cost prohibitive.

Chances of a 1/72 Rebel Blockade Runner by Bandai or anyone else are immeasurably slim to none. The 1/350 resin kit at the Starship Modeler Store is approximately 18" (45.72 cm) long, which would make a 72nd scale version in molded styrene and ABS be 87.5" (222.25 cm) in length... that's over 2 meters! The most you can hope for would be a 1/200 Tantive IV (31.5" = 80.01 cm -- still very large); even a 1/144 would be an immense 43.75" (111.13 cm).

Edit: Even if one were to go by Wookieepedia's claim of 150 m length, at 1/72 the model would still be over 2 m (208.33 cm = 82.02").

Edited by mechaninac

Chances of a 1/72 Rebel Blockade Runner by Bandai or anyone else are immeasurably slim to none. The 1/350 resin kit at the Starship Modeler Store is approximately 18" (45.72 cm) long, which would make a 72nd scale version in molded styrene and ABS be 87.5" (222.25 cm) in length... that's over 2 meters! The most you can hope for would be a 1/200 Tantive IV (31.5" = 80.01 cm -- still very large); even a 1/144 would be an immense 43.75" (111.13 cm).

Edit: Even if one were to go by Wookieepedia's claim of 150 m length, at 1/72 the model would still be over 2 m (208.33 cm = 82.02").

You know I'm actually confused on this ships size, and not really sure how big it is. When it appeared in Episode III it looks tiny as hell when Obi wan docked with it in Grevious fighter. That fighter wasn't all that big and looked like it was about a third the length of the Tantive.

What makes it even worse is that apparently the Tantive that appeared in Episode III might not be the Tantive in Episode IV despite Lucas himself saying it was. There's some screwy story now about it being refit from a CR70 corvette to a CR90.

You know I'm actually confused on this ships size, and not really sure how big it is. When it appeared in Episode III it looks tiny as hell when Obi wan docked with it in Grevious fighter. That fighter wasn't all that big and looked like it was about a third the length of the Tantive.

What makes it even worse is that apparently the Tantive that appeared in Episode III might not be the Tantive in Episode IV despite Lucas himself saying it was. There's some screwy story now about it being refit from a CR70 corvette to a CR90.

The official story is, the much shorter ship seen in Revenge of the Sith, is the same ship, but in its original form as a CEC CR70 Corvette, prior to extensive refitting that brought it in spec with the newer CR90.

The only reason it might not be, is because that explanation was given as part of the Expanded Universe, which Disney has since axed. Even still, both ships belong to the diplomatic fleet of Alderaan, both ships are under direct supervision of Bail Organa, and both ships are captained by Raymus Antilles. All of this seems to support that they are the same ship, just with significant refitting performed during the 20 years between III and IV.

With all that said, there's no way a 1/72 model of it would be a reasonable size, in either iteration. It's small for a capital ship, but it's still a capital ship.

With all that said, there's no way a 1/72 model of it would be a reasonable size, in either iteration. It's small for a capital ship, but it's still a capital ship.

I'm not so sure about that to be honest given this is Bandai we are talking about and they did release that huge Neo Zeong that was nearly 3 feet long.

I hope so. Though the wing open/close sound isn't what I remember from the film. #firstsworldproblems

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that, it actually sounds a lot like a resample of the engine spool-up noise from the hangar scene.

I did double check though, and that IS the wing sound from the special edition. :p Years of playing the old X-wing games burned that sound into my memory, so the sounds in the SE never seemed right to begin with (to say nothing of the rest of the movie).

Edited by Chronocidal

I'd like one that's about 15 inches long. Something around there would be great.

I rather like the idea of a roughly 18" (45.75 cm) 1/350 injection-molded version... the resin one on Starship Modeler, besides being out of print, was very expensive; and just think, it would be in scale with a number of real world war ships, the big Enterprise sisters, and the just released Colonial One from N-BSG, as well as a number of SF resin kits, including the still available Radiant VII from SW-TPM.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that...

I did double check though, and that IS the wing sound from the special edition. :p

Ah, so it is. I was hoping that with the Disney acquisition, the Orwellian 'retruthing' of the original trilogy would be undone as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

btw hlj and hobbysearch have the 1/48 x-wing moving edition in stock. go go go

thanks! i took the plunge and ordered one