Let's analyze that a bit. How many with the name Gonzales do you know or aware of?

As for the connections.....it's tattooine, their moisture farmers in the middle of the desert that's like being in Australia and your closest neighbors is 40 minutes away.

And just as Yoda was shrouded by the dark side of the force on dagoba maybe something similar went on for Luke.

I mean in the EU darth kryate put two and two together until obiwan cut his arm off.

Like I said....Suspension of disbelief and ignoring all logic and common sense is the number one thing that is required to be a Star Wars fan.....heck....pretty much all SF.........you're doing great! :p

How dare you bring up the EU!!!! :lol:

Anakin/Vader hated Tatooine. There was no reason for him to go back. His mother was buried there. It was the last place he ever would have gone which is why it was the perfect hiding spot. The Lars were only his "family" by marriage and I am sure he never really gave a single damn about that.

Let's not forget that he didn't like sand. He always complained that it's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

I wonder whatever happened to the original X-wing full scale prop? Did they just tear the thing down after filming or is it archived somewhere?

When BSG ended, they held an auction and sold off all the life size props right?

Way back when, before Hollywood realized that sequels are a real cash cow, movie props were pretty much put out in the trash - it's comparable to when US auto manufacturers realized that there was just as big, if not a bigger market in replacement parts, and their cars turned to carp in the '70's.

I remember hearing directors/prop master complaints about it in the filming of Back To The Future 2 (about 1), and 2010 (about 2001 - though, as Kubrick went to the extreme of burning pretty much everything but what made it into the final print, the props involved with his movies were probably deliberately destroyed, as opposed to the standard practice fate of the props in other movies).

Having said that, there are some props that were rented out and made the rounds in various movies in that pre-sequel era.

Guys, you're missing the main point, Anakin Skywaker was essentially dead to Vader, he had no connection to that name until Obiwan

Showed up on the Death Star. it had been year since turning fully darkside. That name was lost, that's why he wouldn't care about anyone

named skywalker, or Tatoonie.

Also he thought his unborn kids died with their mom like 20 years before. No reason to think to even look.

Yup, Mom wife and kids all presumed dead. He had no connection to his name anymore, why go back to someplace you hate to visit numbskull Owen Lars?

And why would Obiwan or Owen or Beru be using the name Skywalker anywhere but in secret?

Obiwan is the first to call him a Skywalker. We don't know if anyone else around there even knew of the name. And if even so, some twenty years after the birth of the Empire, how would the name Skywalker even move from the distant Lars moisture farm all the way to Mos Eisly? Much less the correct ears to get the name all the way to the Emperor's right hand?

And to point out, whether the prequels were planned at the inception of Ep4 or not, Leia asks only for General Kenobi. Not his apprentice. For anyone else but the Jedi Council, the name Skywalker was hardly a blip in the sensors, and after the destruction of the Jedi, it is more than likely that it simply vanished. No one cared about the name or who he had been.

And as has been pointed out, Vader thought his son had died with Padme.There was no reason to even think of the name Skywalker anymore.

So, all Vader's connections to the Skywalker name were severed, the name itself had no historical regard, neither Luke's family or Obiwan were going to even mention the name, and a planet-wide desert is a big place for an inconsequential name of a poor moisture farmer to get lost in.

Edited by Thom

And as has been pointed out, Vader thought his son had died with Padme.There was no reason to even think of the name Skywalker anymore.

And in the prequel-less context, the impression is given that the pregnancy was hidden from him, the children born in hiding.

Vader literally didn't know he had kids, in either case.

It still seems ballsy to be running around with the Skywalker name.

But that's what happens when you bolt character relations on after the fact. Things get a bit muddled.

And in the prequel-less context, the impression is given that the pregnancy was hidden from him, the children born in hiding.

Vader literally didn't know he had kids, in either case.

If we go Prequel-less, then no he didn't. But we must assume that the prequels do exist even as the EU has been wiped clean. And in that context, he knew she was pregnant, but must have assumed the child died as well.

In any case, and all we can do is close our eyes and go 'La-La-La!!'

Edited by Thom

If we go Prequel-less, then no he didn't. But we must assume that the prequels do exist even as the EU has been wiped clean. And in that context, he knew she was pregnant, but must have assumed the child died as well.

In any case, and all we can do is close our eyes and go 'La-La-La!!'

My point was less "let's ignore the prequels because they are dumb and make no sense" and more "even in the original context, it kinda made sense."

And it only ever KINDA made sense because Luke's father and sister were huge retcons that were never intended in the original movie, and it took some serious hammering to make things fit together. Hence why Obi-Wan had to do that ridiculous "certain point of view" speech, to patch up the roughest spot.

Vader still shoulda come back and glassed the entire planet just outta spite. :p

Edited by JB0

I'm not sure if this was ever brought up but in the original trilogy, Vader has never laid eyes on R2D2 and C3PO has he? Given such bond he had with the two how would that have affected Vader had he seen them?

He saw R2's dome in Star Wars (or could have)...

He did see 3PO in Empire Strike Back when Han is getting the Carbonite treatment.

He saw R2's dome in Star Wars (or could have)...

He did see 3PO in Empire Strike Back when Han is getting the Carbonite treatment.

One of the many continuity errors Lucas introduced with the prequels. Best to pretend they never happened.

If memory serves - he saw both, but only individually, never together. As both types of droids are a dime a dozen, Vader probably never gave them no mind. Which makes sense, as all the droids in the OT are passive agents.

That, of course, leads into one of my major gripes about Eps.III: the writing goes so out of character that even R2-D2 violates Asimov's 3 laws of robotics. Something that all droids more or less follow in the OT (yes, there's that bounty hunter droid. But he isn't shown violating the laws ;) ).

So, continuing in the bad writing of the PT vein, it's arguable that even though Vader saw R2, he didn't recognize him, because R2 wasn't flying about, burning people to death. :lol:

One of the many continuity errors Lucas introduced with the prequels. Best to pretend they never happened.

Though.... I will say that it does give new layers to the scene in Empire when Chewie starts freaking out in the the Carnonite chamber with 3P0 on his back. Boba Fett raises his blaster to shoot him but Vader stops him by forcing his blaster down. Maybe he didn't want his old Droid blasted. I don't think he really gave a crap about a Wookie ;)

Chris

EDIT: Oops, Negotiator mentioned it already.

Edited by Dobber

Though.... I will say that it does give new layers to the scene in Empire when Chewie starts freaking out in the the Carnonite chamber with 3P0 on his back. Boba Fett raises his blaster to shoot him but Vader stops him by forcing his blaster down. Maybe he didn't want his old Droid blasted. I don't think he really gave a crap about a Wookie ;)

Chris

EDIT: Oops, Negotiator mentioned it already.

No it doesn't, and I'm pretty sure he was joking. And he pretty clearly cares about the Wookiee, because he's part of the bait to lure Luke.

"Take the Princess and the Wookiee to my ship."

Movie wise R2 started blasting sentients (if that cackling thing in Jabba's palace is sentient) in "Return of the Jedi".

I don't think Asimov's laws apply in Star Wars in any case. In the original Trilogy combat droids were just too expensive to put on screen...

Hmm... pion harassing pion?

Nevertheless, I'm GLAD that the OT did NOT have combat droids. The Battle Droids totally deflate any tension in Eps. 2 & 3!

No it doesn't, and I'm pretty sure he was joking. And he pretty clearly cares about the Wookiee, because he's partc of the bait to lure Luke.

"Take the Princess and the Wookiee to my ship."

Yeah....Vader's plan would have completely unraveled if Chewie had been shot and/or killed....

19ce5xny4v98jjpg.jpg

Movie wise R2 started blasting sentients (if that cackling thing in Jabba's palace is sentient) in "Return of the Jedi".

I don't think Asimov's laws apply in Star Wars in any case. In the original Trilogy combat droids were just too expensive to put on screen...

Heck.....that's not the only thing that doesn't apply in Star Wars movies.....logic and commonsense are high up there too....but we love them so it's all good! ^_^

If he starts firing there's a chance things get out of control and Leia gets killed too.

Are you suggesting that Luke, having travelled all the way from Dagobah based on a vision of his friends in trouble, would have arrived on Bespin....seen none of his friends....decide to chalk it up to a boneheaded rookie Jedi mistake....and head back to Dagobah?

Not only that, but Vader, in an emo-like fit, much like those of his future grandson....would have let him go because his "plan" did not go exactly like he wanted it to? Uh-huh....

Are you suggesting that Luke, having travelled all the way from Dagobah based on a vision of his friends in trouble, would have arrived on Bespin....seen none of his friends....decide to chalk it up to a boneheaded rookie Jedi mistake....and head back to Dagobah?

Not only that, but Vader, in an emo-like fit, much like those of his future grandson....would have let him go because his "plan" did not go exactly like he wanted it to? Uh-huh....

Leia is also a major player in the Rebellion.

But hey, I provide a logical explanation, but you want to go with some bizarro prequel explanation. Whatever works for you, dude.

Edited by Duke Togo

No, but if Luke has the power to see them in a vision he will also have the power to feel when they die. And if the plot to capture Luke on Bespin was a bust having Leia for another try or info would be useful. Or maybe Vader just had a vision of her in Jabba's palace...

Leia is also a major player in the Rebellion.

But hey, I provide a logical explanation, but you want to go with some bizarro prequel explanation. Whatever works for you, dude.

Yeah....that would be awful for one of the leaders of the Rebellion to get killed by "accident"...

Take off the Star Wars fanboy goggles, dude....lol

Yeah....that would be awful for one of the leaders of the Rebellion to get killed by "accident"...

Take off the Star Wars fanboy goggles, dude....lol

Yes, it WOULD be awful, if she died before they could extract every iota of information she had.

No, but if Luke has the power to see them in a vision he will also have the power to feel when they die. And if the plot to capture Luke on Bespin was a bust having Leia for another try or info would be useful. Or maybe Vader just had a vision of her in Jabba's palace...

Ummmmm.....it was a bust....lol...

Plus, Vader tried getting info from Leia before....didn't end too well for Vader & Co.

Additionally, Vader vowed to the Emperor that Luke would join them or die....why would he care if Leia happened to die in his scheme to get at Luke?

In fact, he probably would have had her and Chewie executed had his plot actually succeeded....he knew based on previous experience that Leia would have died before giving up any real info.....

And not to open up another can of worms....but why didn't Vader utilize the same "interrogation" techniques employed by his future emo grandson?

They couldn't before...suddenly Leia would crack "this" time? Nope.

When he didn't have Tarkin rushing things and could take his sweet time? Sure.

Also note that Leia DID give them the location of the Yavin base, just as they planned.

Edited by JB0

When he didn't have Tarkin rushing things and could take his sweet time? Sure.

Also note that Leia DID give them the location of the Yavin base, just as they planned.

Kind of a stretch.....

And if you are referring to the Falcon being tracked....no info was "extracted" from her during interrogation....again....stretching....

Kinda funny as this whole silly debate started with my speculation regarding the possibility of the RO ship being "tracked" to a potential rendezvous point over Tatooine....LOL!!!