Macross DYRL: Proper English Fandub

Hikuro

AWESOME! Thanks for doing that man I can't wait to try this software out when I get it!

There's not much for news on production, lots of people are sick or doing other things so I'm taking this time to do some planning of other ventures.

• 2 weeks later...

Well nothing big yet has come around. Still waiting on software but mail hasn't arrived yet. And some VA's are just plain slow :p I've replaced several just to go no where so far.

Either case, you guys can check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXk1cN-AYV4

little sample from a 3 year old project I'm nearly completed with. Waiting on 2 more VA's and I can pop this one out of the books after just a bit of tweeking with the audio. I always seem to miss stuff....which will be crucial with DYRL cause I've got notes down on areas I'm missing.

Exedore's voice actor was pretty good. Max, however... It seemed like he was, once again, unnaturally changing his voice to fit the part. He and Milia were very muffled and quiet, but when Exedore spoke, I had to turn my speakers back down, lol. Chlore was not bad, either.

Isn't "Micronian" a Robotech term?

Didn't mean Micronian, I think they said Micron...which is a Macross term, and let's not forget, there are a lot of terms used in robotech that were originally also in Macross but adapted in other ways.

I'll continue to work on the leveling, it's no where near finished product.

Milia: "Listen to me, Chlore! The Zentraedi are living with the Micronian race in peace now..."

That's what I was referring to.

Interestingly, I've seen good things from when you guys are dubbing the Zentraedi language. Your recent video showed the attention to detail when putting vocal inflections on certain phrases. Sounds good!

Milia: "Listen to me, Chlore! The Zentraedi are living with the Micronian race in peace now..."

That's what I was referring to.

Yeah, he's right. I heard it too. I forgot that that was a Robotechism, since Micron/Micraan/Miclone is Macross. Also, it would be nice to know what the intent of Micraan was. Was it meant to be like american "micron" like a "micron telescope" or was it a shifted pronunciation of "miclone" like a conflation of small and clone, since the Zentraedi are known to be grown in cloning tanks traditionally. It's always been something that nagged at the back of my head. What is the intention of that word?!?!?!?!?!? I DON'T KNOW, DAMMIT!

Ok, I've made accomplishments! big ones too! While waiting around I decided that I have enough Zentraedi vocals I can do a set without having to worry to much about the male extras. I even found out I'll need a new female extra for the Meltrans on the ship shortly after Miriya and Max had their big fight.

I really need to talk to cristina, see if there is some way I can get her to sing the songs that EXO provided english lyrics for and make the movie 100% english. People kind of seem to enjoy it a lot more after hearing her do the main song of the film.

Are you CURSED or something, Hik? I think you're cursed. My advice: sell one of your more awesome models and flip that money back into some software. Sure, models tend to at least hold value or appreciate, and that software will be worthless in seven months, but, your computer will thank you for it. And everybody here will thank you for it, too, because we'll get to see/hear new work! Do it for the MW kiddies!

Or not.

Are you CURSED or something, Hik? I think you're cursed. My advice: sell one of your more awesome models and flip that money back into some software. Sure, models tend to at least hold value or appreciate, and that software will be worthless in seven months, but, your computer will thank you for it. And everybody here will thank you for it, too, because we'll get to see/hear new work! Do it for the MW kiddies!

Or not.

Been trying to get good software to him, but everytime I burn it on a CD, the setup file doesn't work. On my thumb drive, it does, so....options. I'd like to see this finished up, too.

I think it's smaller than 8Gigs. I have it on a 16Gig drive that has tons of stuff, and it's just about full.

Edit: Actually, I just looked at it now, and it's quite small. Probably a 2 or 4 gig would work fine.

Edited by Jasonc

Sorry been behind, the new position at work puts me infront of a computer for 9 hours of my life and somehow the last thing I really wanna be doing is being infront of a computer at home for another 4 or 5! weird isn't it?

I got a 4gig thumb drive, but it's my movie watcher so I don't have to sit infront of my laptop all the time to watch my shows, it's also got some other stuff I need tucked away just in case.

I'll have to hold out for a lil while longer

Sorry been behind, the new position at work puts me infront of a computer for 9 hours of my life and somehow the last thing I really wanna be doing is being infront of a computer at home for another 4 or 5! weird isn't it?

I got a 4gig thumb drive, but it's my movie watcher so I don't have to sit infront of my laptop all the time to watch my shows, it's also got some other stuff I need tucked away just in case.

I'll have to hold out for a lil while longer

Got one going out to you with a note. I have your address, so you'll get it in a few days. I tested it out, and it loads, just gotta wait for about a minute or so. Kinda strange, but it works.

Gotcha, I see Che sent me something about it but I'm dumb and don't look at my messages sometimes.

Great news though! I got master DVD files for the HD version of DYRL! It's a freaking 8 gig VTS file so it'll need conversion to a usable codec which wont be difficult to do at all! And once software is in, I'll be making final corrections to the audio except music score cause I still wanna talk too Cristina about having time or not to do english minmay singing or stick to the original japanese. Either or is fine by me and I'm sure you guys wont mind either or since there's approval for cristina to sing.

Does that mean you now have original sound effects?

Oh god no, that's impossible. I'll never have the original tracks unless I either get the best audio equipment available or Bandai gives me the rights cause I'm awesome. Both sound very unlikely in the end don't it?

It just means that I now have a way of including the footage to whatever video resolution I want. Right now I got it I think 1024x640 Which is pretty big! I also got it in a richer 720x480 and I'll be comparing the sizes when they finish encoding by the AM.

Edited by Hikuro

I was doing some test audio and looking things over and man there's some work that needs to be done. Like bits and pieces of the voice overs don't seem loud enough, and I hadn't even done alterations for certain things either! so I'll have to bump that up which is very easy, just time consuming.

Music score without minmay songs are pretty good, don't need much adjusting really, maybe tone it down just a bit.

The videos I rendered look good, but my PC is stupid and wont properly show me the higher res. But each encode I did came out as 10 gigs. TEN GIGS. Wooooaaaaaah.....but that's also straight up mpeg format for highest quality versus stuff like WMV.

I mean, yikes.

The SFX mix I believe is finished. But something disturbing I've noticed is that the older sfxs I used are right channel/mono only, so I'm having to do some tricky editing to try and make it balance correctly.

If I can get that area finished, I can probably do a final mix of the music cause it doesn't seem like Cristina is going to get back to me about the minmay score and I'll have to go and use the originals. Which isn't bad, you guys don't care :p

But it would feel alot more english authentic the other way around wouldn't it?

I still need I think 3 Male's and 1 female for Zentran/meltran recordings so I'm going to hammer at those I gave lines too and see wtf is up. Some have had lines since the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been kind of interesting lately. November I was promoted, now I'm a videographer/photographer....new line of work for this place I'm working at. It'll make me travel to 5 different stores to take photos for their inventory. And right now they're wanting to do videos that are about 2 minutes long, I'm trying to convince them to 30 seconds, like a commerical. 2 minutes is boring as hell TL:DR

Anyways, this is going to require me to get software appropriate for what I need to do. They had a guy from KGW a news channel here in oregon come by and look at what I got to work with and he made some suggestions.

Today I'm working on a trial version of Avid Studios he recommended cause that's what the station uses for their broadcasts. So far I'm kind of liking it and the best part right now is it's so damn cheap! I can pick up a copy at FRY's for 130 bucks!

if this works out well I might purchase my own copy and use that next month when doing the final touches to the video.

You should look into whether Avid Studio can export OMFs. If it can, then the software will be compatible with wide range of higher end software as well, meaning audio mixes could go back and forth between Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition, Adobe Soundbooth, Protools, Logic, or Final Cut Pro. That would be extremely flexible for you (and for me!)

Congrats on the promotion

Thanks! Been a hell of a run so far. But it gives me an excuse to play with some new ideas to make dubbing more elaborate.

You should look into whether Avid Studio can export OMFs. If it can, then the software will be compatible with wide range of higher end software as well, meaning audio mixes could go back and forth between Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition, Adobe Soundbooth, Protools, Logic, or Final Cut Pro. That would be extremely flexible for you (and for me!)

Well it kind of has a similar set up as Final Cut Pro, but not at the sametime. I had the guy I work with in my office who's in charge of marketing kind of familiarize me with some tools that are on Final cut Pro and similar to Avid. So I'm getting use too editing already and title overlays.

What bums me out right now is I can't seem to look at the preview screen while I'm doing text titles which I size up as subtitles. So each subtitle I do I have to resize and set the right fonts again and again versus having a specific layout function. I've tried but it didn't work.

Right now it took me an hour to do the first 15 seconds between Exadore and Breetai. It's mainly getting the timing of the subs correctly. But I'm also syncing it to the Japanese text NOT the audio. Which will be a smarter move.