There's still the issue of Duke Togo claiming only a small part of the fandom dabbles in the EU when the series as a whole has sold over 160 million copies in addition to routinely cracking the New York times top ten best sellers lists. Hell the Thrawn trilogy alone has sold 15 million copies with Heir to the Empire making it to number one on the list. Even the freaking XXX parody makes reference to Thrawn and the EU. :p

Edited by renegadeleader1

Duke Togo is right. If I asked everyone I worked with if they like Star Wars most would say 'yes'. If I asked about the extended universe I might find one or two that were aware of it and has an opinion.

Edited by jenius

Duke Togo is right. If I asked everyone I worked with if they like Star Wars most would say 'yes'. If I asked about the extended universe I might find one or two that were aware of it and has an opinion.

I'm pretty sure you could do the same thing with a lot of franchises. Try asking your coworkers if they like Batman or Superman then ask them to name some villians outside of Lex Luther or the Joker.

Even the freaking XXX parody makes reference to Thrawn and the EU. :p

Watched for science, right? Haha

Damn it. I tried.

I enjoyed a great many books in the EU, namely among them were Zahn's books, the NJO and a The Bounty Hunter Wars. Yes, there was crap. I also still ask: if GL didn't write it, doesn't that make any Star Wars book written by anyone else fanfiction?

The current conversation is about tech and hardware. Disney has 30 years of technical sources to pull from. The Essential Guides could have been gone through and taken from. They were pretty much the go to for most of that stuff anyway. Wookieepedia is another great source that clarifies tons of stuff. For example, how big a Super Star Destroyer actually is. The history behind the X-Wing being given to the Alliance by secret Incom conspirators or defectors was a good story and it made sense. The B-Wing being a secret project by Admiral Ackbar was cool. Kuat Driveyards, Wraith Seinar, the Wookiees, etc. It's all already there and I honestly don't think it would be that hard to clean up and make concise.

Character wise, yeah, a lot of it has already changed and been removed. I understand that and have no expectations there.

Edited by Chewie

I'm pretty sure you could do the same thing with a lot of franchises. Try asking your coworkers if they like Batman or Superman then ask them to name some villians outside of Lex Luther or the Joker.

What's your point? Is it that extended universes shouldn't weigh too heavily on new productions? If so, I think you, me, and Duke agree.

There's still the issue of Duke Togo claiming only a small part of the fandom dabbles in the EU when the series as a whole has sold over 160 million copies in addition to routinely cracking the New York times top ten best sellers lists. Hell the Thrawn trilogy alone has sold 15 million copies with Heir to the Empire making it to number one on the list. Even the freaking XXX parody makes reference to Thrawn and the EU. :p

I'm puzzled on why so many people like the Thrawn trilogy so much. I thought it was terrible and it was hard to read all the way through. I can maybe understand that at the time of release people were into it due to lack of new SW material. It doesn't even feel that star warsy to me.

I guess I'm not so worried about how much they do or don't pull out of the EU, I think I'm just annoyed that they act like they're deciding that the EU doesn't count, but then they're simultaneously too lazy to try and come up with something original to replace it.

This might be just me, but it feels kind of like the EU burned through so many of the available "good" ideas for more Star Wars stories, the new movies might have trouble coming up with new material that doesn't use all the same plot and character elements we've already seen.

Not going to argue that the EU had a lot of crap fanfic thrown into it though, I'm mostly just thinking of the Zahn books. Some of the material and characters developed in those books became so prevalent, they leaked into what probably would have previously been called canon.

Edited by Chronocidal

My two cents on the EU......I thought I was a huge Star Wars fan, but maybe not because I don't know a single thing about EU. My Star Wars world includes the films, the animations (Except for Droids and Ewoks and maybe a few others), and maybe a few scattered comics and graphic novels, but I don't even follow the games.

I guess the same could be said about Macross....thought I was a fan, outside of SDFM, DYRL, M+ and maybe a bit of Frontier, I don't know much else.

Meh, I didn't care for the Thrawn trilogy. I enjoyed many books, but never really cared for the further Skywalker/Solo family adventures.

I think the best EU stuff was the worldbuilding material for the RPG, which wormed its way into the fabric of the EU novels. Dave Filoni seems to honor these sources to a degree and a lot of it can be seen in Clone Wars & Rebels.

See Gozanti cruisers & Project Shantipole.

Oh yeah, it's hard for me to consider that Kotor is not canon. That was some of the best Star Wars since Empire.

I see the purge as a chance for Lucasfilm to look back & evaluate what's come before. If they decide some of it is good, useful or doesn't affect oncoming stories, I imagine some of it will get rolled back in. Hopefully Kotor will be on that list.

My two cents on the EU......I thought I was a huge Star Wars fan, but maybe not because I don't know a single thing about EU. My Star Wars world includes the films, the animations (Except for Droids and Ewoks and maybe a few others), and maybe a few scattered comics and graphic novels, but I don't even follow the games.

I guess the same could be said about Macross....thought I was a fan, outside of SDFM, DYRL, M+ and maybe a bit of Frontier, I don't know much else.

Pretty much in the same boat.

I'd be annoyed if I was invested in the EU or other Star Wars properties - but as a "regular" fan, which most of the movie-going audience is, it doesn't make any difference if Disney scraps the EU or cherry-picks parts that they want.

-b.

Confirmed from Daisy Ridley's Instagram, that video of her is not for anything in the movie. She's been nagging her sword trainer to teach some wushu moves, and that's a video is just a little bit of some of what he's shown her.

Surprised people aren't discussing the alleged plot leak, I thought that'd bring the haters out in full force. Definitely made me groan.

It's too early to tell if it's true or how much of it is true (things could change during production) which is why I haven't commented on it. I've read it and that's all I'll say.

Confirmed from Daisy Ridley's Instagram, that video of her is not for anything in the movie. She's been nagging her sword trainer to teach some wushu moves, and that's a video is just a little bit of some of what he's shown her.

How DARE she.

What plot leak? IS THERE ANOTHER DEATH STAR?

To be totally fair, any plot leak could be made to sound terrible, even for movies that turn out great. Here's a quick summary for those who are interested and didn't catch it:

Allegedly (again, shady source), Rey is pissed at Luke because she thinks he's her father. He then explains that he's not, that she is the reincarnation of the chosen one, so effectively SHE is HIS father and yeah, "Rey, you are my father" may actually be a line of dialog. This is what he has learned from tracking down the earliest roots of the Jedi order. The Chosen One actually appears every time there's an imbalance in the force and maybe that isn't so infrequent. Also, it may be implied that Rey has no father, like Anakin had no father, though they allegedly don't directly mention the 'will of the midichlorians'.

Mistake 1: George Lucas' over-reliance on 'the chosen one'. Mistake 2: Anyone else going down that same path.

Edited by jenius

To be totally fair, any plot leak could be made to sound terrible, even for movies that turn out great. Here's a quick summary for those who are interested and didn't catch it:

Allegedly (again, shady source), Rey is pissed at Luke because she thinks he's her father. He then explains that he's not, that she is the reincarnation of the chosen one, so effectively SHE is HIS father and yeah, "Rey, you are my father" may actually be a line of dialog. This is what he has learned from tracking down the earliest roots of the Jedi order. The Chosen One actually appears every time there's an imbalance in the force and maybe that isn't so infrequent. Also, it may be implied that Rey has no father, like Anakin had no father, though they allegedly don't directly mention the 'will of the midichlorians'.

Mistake 1: George Lucas' over-reliance on 'the chosen one'. Mistake 2: Anyone else going down that same path.

Yeah, that's what I read too. I'd say I hope that isn't the case, I can't see Rian Johnson being that dumb, but they already went pretty stupid with the previous sequel so I could believe they would make something even worse this time.

That's been a theory floating around anyway. I don't think you can really surprise anyone with anything for something like star wars, especially a star wars fandom who do nothing but speculate every possibility. Its like game of thrones where there's only so many outcomes and reveals that can make sense with what information and rules the past has given. To try to force something for the sake of a surprise or twist would be noticeably worse creating more questions than answers. SW will never live up to anyone's fan fiction floating in their heads.

Well...I kind of want that to be true, just to see the collective Star Wars fanbase lose their minds.

For some reason I was thinking that

maybe Rey was a clone of Anakin or something along those lines, but that "spoiler" theory sounds so bad that it's kind of awesome

Anyway, it'll probably be something way more straightforward. No need for the panic button yet.

And I loved Episode VII

-b.