The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

I'm looking for a good external harddrive that can handle daily transport so it needs to be small and durable. Anything upwards of 250 GB will do.

Any suggestions? :huh:

I recommend Western Digital Passport external drives. I have a 250 GB in white that I bought on sale for $75 about a year ago. Have had no problem with it. They come in 160, 250, and 320 GB. Small, portable, runs on the USB. I don't carry it around with me, so I don't know how well it would handle daily transports, but seems durable enough to handle that.

Call me strange, yellowlightman, but I actually just use my computer speakers for my 360. They work just fine.

Yeah, that would actually be fine for my needs... but I'd need some sort of amp to plug the A/V cables into, right?

Anyways, I'll probably be looking to spend $200 or so on the monitor and ideally less than $200 on the sound system. The problem is that a lot of electronics just cost more here, so I'm having to shop around a bit.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

I've been looking at D-link's site and it's very helpfull when it comes to looking for a Vista compatible product. They even have lists of 64 compatible products. I just hope it'll work with a Linksys WRT-160N router. When it comes to customer support, D-link has Linksys beat IMO. Linksys's site sucks in that regard.

You would've figured since Linksys is owned by Cisco that they would be top tier but i find this is not the case when it comes to Linksys. It seems to have started once they started to tout the fact that they're "A Division of Cisco", their product prices inflated, their support got worse, and their products stayed the same. I've always had good luck with D-Link; their site is easy to navigate and their products have never done me wrong. I have no doubt that your wireless NIC will work without a hitch with your N Router, i still have an old D-Link B/G NIC that still works like a charm (and it's been through three different wireless routers).

Yeah, that would actually be fine for my needs... but I'd need some sort of amp to plug the A/V cables into, right?

Anyways, I'll probably be looking to spend $200 or so on the monitor and ideally less than $200 on the sound system. The problem is that a lot of electronics just cost more here, so I'm having to shop around a bit.

If a bit over $400 is ok, I suggest hp2207h and a set of desktop BOSE speaker. Most places sell hp2207h for $350 or so and the smaller ones are below $300, they are not the fastest but have the best image and the h's are hd monitors with hdmi input. The desktop BOSE goes for $100 at most places, I've replaced all my pc speakers with BOSE, best sound without the need of a separate subwoofer, save I lot of space. Go to the store to check them out.

If your budget is paid for by the company why not go with the most money can buy? Get a Radeon HD4870 x2, a Blu-Ray Drive, Better PSU, etc. And i see your point with the SSD use for swap files, i don't think there are any benchmarks to support it being faster, but logically it should be.

I've looked into the whole SSD thing and as it turns out, they're VERY fast with reading data but VERY slow with writing data, which would not be a very smart choice for a swapfile HD. So I decided to go with a 74 GB Raptor instead of the SSD.

Here's the new setup and it has been ordered. ^_^ Finally!

• Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3330,speakers
  • Samsung Spinpoint F1,7200RPM, SATA II, 32MB, 1000GB 2x in RAID1
  • Scythe Floppy - Card Reader Combo
  • Cooler Master Real Power M850,Retail, 850Watt
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550,Boxed, Q9550, Socket 775
  • Cooler Master Cosmos S case
  • Samsung SH-S202J, Zwart/Ivory, Retail CD/DVD writer
  • PNY Quadro FX3700 512MB
  • Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF,4096MB, 1066MHz, DDR2, PC8500, 2x
  • GigaByte GA-EP45-DS3R,Retail
  • OCZ Vanquisher processor cooler
  • HP LP2475w 24-inch LCD-monitor
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit,SP1
  • Western Digital VelociRaptor ,10000RPM, 16MB, 150GB for OS
  • Western Digital Raptor, 74 GB, 10000 RPM, 16 MB, SATA for Swapfiles
Edited by Dante74

the Raptor is a beast (an expensive beast at that) but i know for SSD's there are two different types, SLC and MLC, and the SLC's are considerably faster for both read and write than the MLC (which as you mentioned have crap write speed). I'm not sure how that compares to the Raptor since SSD's are fairly new to the mainstream market but it's probably a good idea to stick with what works for now while they work all of the bugs out of SSD's.

True. If I opted for an SLC HD, I'd have to make compromises on other parts of the system because I (only B)) ) have €3500 to spend, so the Raptors are the best choice for the moment IMO. I'm hoping this system will keep me going for at least three years at which point I expect I'll have to consider replacing the MotherBoard and processor/RAM.

True. If I opted for an SLC HD, I'd have to make compromises on other parts of the system because I (only B)) ) have €3500 to spend, so the Raptors are the best choice for the moment IMO. I'm hoping this system will keep me going for at least three years at which point I expect I'll have to consider replacing the MotherBoard and processor/RAM.

Yowch, that's a pricey system, at least in $US. I do admit, that the exchange rates just might make it seem more expensive than it may actually be. At the current exchange rate, that system is roughly $5000. My current system cost me around $2000, or €1500. This does actually has me interested to see what the cost of your system comes to by buying from US distributors!

Just finished pricing. Using US distributors, the system is about €1000 cheaper. Here I thought having 3 HDDs was a lot! :lol:

Edited by Beltane70

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Okay, I am having a problem upgrading my phone from Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard to Windows Mobile 6.1

I have a HTC S621 smartphone and I have Unicel as my carrier. I have gone to the HTC, Unicel and other cellphone providers to see if there is an update for this phone because I want the latest version of the OS. I have only found upgrade ROM's for this phone available from other users, so I guess you could call them "cracked" versions of the upgrades. I dont know anything about upgrading phones or flashing the ROM for an update or anything of the sort. Can someone please help me out with an easy, step by step guide of where to get this upgrade for my phone and then how to apply this ROM to my phone without frakking up the phone and making it useless.

Thank you to anyone who can lend a hand, I really want this and I am getting a little frustrated by the lack of resources that I am finding.

Twich

Hello All,

Okay, I am having a problem upgrading my phone from Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard to Windows Mobile 6.1

I have a HTC S621 smartphone and I have Unicel as my carrier. I have gone to the HTC, Unicel and other cellphone providers to see if there is an update for this phone because I want the latest version of the OS. I have only found upgrade ROM's for this phone available from other users, so I guess you could call them "cracked" versions of the upgrades. I dont know anything about upgrading phones or flashing the ROM for an update or anything of the sort. Can someone please help me out with an easy, step by step guide of where to get this upgrade for my phone and then how to apply this ROM to my phone without frakking up the phone and making it useless.

Thank you to anyone who can lend a hand, I really want this and I am getting a little frustrated by the lack of resources that I am finding.

Will your smartphone support 6.1 or will 6.1 support your phone?

I did. I actually followed your list of parts line by line.

Wow! :blink: Good thing the company I work for is paying for it.

That's a pretty impressive system, I must say!

Thanks. It'll have to do some heavy duty computing which is why I chose this set up. I get one chance at putting together a system and I didn't wanna have to beg for more money if anything wasn't up to par. I'll geek out and post pics when it's up and running if anyone's interested. :rolleyes: