yamato 1/60 v2 white color help

valkfighter

Hi, need help from some of you guys, after a few years today took my vf-1j hikaru out of the box to compare it to my recent purchased vf-25f alto, but i noticed the bright White on my 1j was far darker than the 25f, so this question came to me, has my 1j yellowed? so to answer that question took my 1s model kit out of the box too, and i found that the bright White on my assembly kit is a cold White while my 1j is warm White, are the assembly kit and the 1j suposed to be the same bright White??

could any of you who has an assembly kit and the 1j hikaru compare it and tell me if its a different or the same White color? no need of images just tell me what you see. i am a bit confused at this point, i dont remember if they were the same or not. my v2s have been in their boxes for almost 3 years inside their respective blíster and in the dark in a dry environment.

thanks

While I don't have the 1J kit, I do have a 1S and a 1A and unfortunately, not on hand. Here's a comparison of the VF-25F and the non-kit 1J though:

post-10360-0-18603100-1416863560_thumb.jpg

post-10360-0-39061300-1416863591_thumb.jpg

My 1J has had a light gray artist oil wash applied and I don't doubt that it's discolored it just a touch, in the process. That said, I still think of it is a fairly neutral white, while the 25F is more of a blue-white.

Here's a comparison to a styrofoam cup, which is pretty standard white, to my eyes:

post-10360-0-52223800-1416863792_thumb.jpg

The Yamato assembly kits (and the pre-assembled versions) are a very stark white and almost have a slight pinkish hue to them under certain lights. This is the same for the Arcadia VF-1S Roy and Hikaru. It's a very different white than standard Yamato releases and also different from Bandai's Frontier VFs. So I don't think you have any discoloring going on.

Guest davidwhangchoi

There are actually many shades of "white", and it's likely that the Alto "white" is normally just more "blue"

+1

Alto's VF-25 is greyish purple-white to start with. It's just what Bandai used for that one.

even more accurate, that was what i was thinking.

Yup. Alto's VF-171 is nearly "DYRL grey", but is still considered "white" to most people. (heck, a lot of people consider DYRL grey, to be "white")

Around these parts most people refer to it as "off white" or "DYRL white". I don't think I've ever seen anyone refer to Yamato's DYRL VF-1's as grey until now.

-b.

Around these parts most people refer to it as "off white" or "DYRL white". I don't think I've ever seen anyone refer to Yamato's DYRL VF-1's as grey until now.

-b.

The different names help to match model paints. For example, I have two versions of Mr. Color that I use for DYRL Valkyries: Gray FS36622 (USAF) and Off White. When dry, it's hard to distinguish the two colors. As CoreyD notes above, white has a number of shades. The warmer, antique tones may look less striking but are no less white. The different Valkyrie photos in this thread do a good job of showcasing different colors of white.

I think a "yellowed" white or a paint that is failing due to environmental conditions like UV light or heat or oxidation of certain plastics is easier to identify. The following Vintage Gaming site has some good example photos of "yellowed" items:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

If the OP's VF-1J looks like the pictures in the link (that is, more like a well-used G1 Jetfire that was left out in the sun), then it may be time to give it a new paint job. Otherwise, I don't think there is anything to worry about. It's just different "white" paint.

Edited by technoblue

Eriku, what do you mean with the pre assembled versions? the no painting version? so those are the same White?

so the yamato standard tv releases have different color than the assembly kit then ( tv 1j hikaru,kakizaki 1a, max 1a and tv roy?)

Yes, the non-painted Yamato 1/60 is exactly the same as the kit, which is also the same white plastic as the Arcadia TV Roy & Hikaru. The standard Yamato 1/60 TV valks are a different white - still very bright white, just a more pure white (if that makes sense) without the violet/pink tinge under certain lights.

so at this point, i am trying to determine if my 1j tv hikaru has yellowed or not, you might say i am crazy but its important for me to prove it because if this has happened, that means i will have to find a different location to store my valks as i dont want any yellowing continue.

i want to make a different test this time, Eriku you said that all tv releases are same White? following what you said took my 1a tv max out of the book and and now is seating next to my 1j hikaru and i dont know if it is the tipe of light in my room or my eyes but i see that the 1j is a warmer White than the max tv, or maybe the red stripes make me see it that way.

can someone compare this too birds and tell me what you see, images are welcomed too.

It is more important that you provide a photograph(s) of your 1J and your 25F.

Otherwise, we won't be able to figure what the fugazi you're panicking about.

Everyone has pretty much given you the basics of what we've known.

The only thing remaining is for you to provide photographs of your valks.

It'll be an exercise in futility if you keep asking for pics from everybody else. You might as well go check the multiple pictures-threads in here for your inquiry.

ok guys, problem solved, just determined with a good friend of mine which happens to be a extreme vintage star wars collector that means expert in old White plastic (hehehe) that my 1j has suffered a Little yellowing nothing to be worried about but will take some extra care on the way my valks are stored from now on. for now i have cheched other valks and are ok.

thank you guys for all your kind help and info, which without it would have been difficult to get a conclution.

still interested the pictures for info purposes though.

Seconded. I haven't seen too many VF-1J Hikaru types that have yellowed but I'm sure it'd be informative to others, both to know if it's happened as well as how you'll be takings steps to minimise it in the future.

Agreed. Really interested in seeing the pictures of the Valkyrie in question.

-b.