The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

Well, today is the 12th of September, and I am starting a new thread dedicated to Gunbuster and it's offspring, Diebuster. Since today is Noriko's birthday, I want everyone to say "Happy Birthday, Noriko!" as fellow fan Mecurial Morpheus has stated.

Now for the gripe:

Mecurial Morpheus says, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY NORIKO!!!"

I have only been waiting since 1999 when I opened the Gunbuster Index to utter those very words first. Now I feel cheated.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Now for the gripe:

I have only been waiting since 1999 when I opened the Gunbuster Index to utter those very words first. Now I feel cheated.

Wow... I don't know what say. If it makes you feel better, I missed both Kazumi's and Jung's actual and first birthdays, even though I've been a fan since about 2002, ever since I first saw it. So you've got me on that. :(

I'm just glad I remembered Noriko's, since she is my favorite of the three.

After I posted, I did listen to The Symphonic Poem, and watched the Top o Nerae Tribute video a few times. It still gets me everytime. I almost restarted this thread when I noticed the old one closed, but was too tied to do so. Not that I slept much.

I sucessfully pulled off the Gunbuster marathon. Though delays caused by last minute chores caused me to finished at 12:12 am. Still, I don't think I've ever watched any series, even one only six episodes long, in complete back to back order. Really tugs at you. I usually don't get to watch may series ore than once. I usually am so backlogged that I don't have the time except for the occasional stand alone episode or movie. Gunbuster is the only series I've seen about four times. It may not seem like a lot, but it is when it comes to me.

I'd like to add in that after collecting myself from the emotional finale, I've come to notice some possible errors surrounding Noriko's age.

First off being the picture Admiral Takaya looks at in episode two. In it, she asks him to return or her eighth birthday. Going on info from the first and second episodes, the battle took place December 19th, 2015. That would place it well past her ninth. This I'll assume more as it's a sentimental keepsake from a previous year, and not a recent reminder of an upcoming event.

More troubling is episode four. In it, Noriko makes a remark about being seventeen. At which point Kazumi points out that by earth time she's actually twenty seven. The date is given as July 31st, 2032. She's actually twenty five. The only thing I can think of is that Kazumi didn't actually do the math and simply added ten years to her physical age. That literally just occured to me.

September 12th, 2006, that would place her as between fourteen and fifthteen by the time she enters the academy.

Hmmm... Seems I may have figured it out, in a haphazard way. Still, when all is said and done, it may be the thirteenth as I post this, but still, Happy Birthday Noriko!

Now if only I could figure out the Urashima reasoning of episode two. Three months a minute + ten minute, twelve second mission = Six months pass.... Hmm....

jwinges: No one knows. Eventually for sure.

Btw mercurial, where can you get the downloadable version of the Top 1 & 2 movie trailer (which u called a tribute i presume?)

I only have the streaming one.

I'd like to add in that after collecting myself from the emotional finale, I've come to notice some possible errors surrounding Noriko's age.

First off being the picture Admiral Takaya looks at in episode two. In it, she asks him to return or her eighth birthday. Going on info from the first and second episodes, the battle took place December 19th, 2015. That would place it well past her ninth. This I'll assume more as it's a sentimental keepsake from a previous year, and not a recent reminder of an upcoming event.

More troubling is episode four. In it, Noriko makes a remark about being seventeen. At which point Kazumi points out that by earth time she's actually twenty seven. The date is given as July 31st, 2032. She's actually twenty five. The only thing I can think of is that Kazumi didn't actually do the math and simply added ten years to her physical age. That literally just occured to me.

September 12th, 2006, that would place her as between fourteen and fifthteen by the time she enters the academy.

You've got to remember also, that we have been dealing with US Rendition's original translation of the series, which, if you go by the first three episodes, was pretty attrocious. Now, to clear some things up.

Noriko was nine when her father was killed. You got that right. Her 8th was the last time she saw him.

Noriko also entered the Okinawa Girls' School in 2021 just shy of her 15th birthday. She had been there for almost a year when Ota selects her and Amano for the Gunbuster program. This was in June of 2022. Then comes the mission to investigate the anomaly. This mission will take three months at Earth time. Jung states to Noriko that they will have a party to celebrate their birthdays as Noriko is scheduled to return beforehand. But the mission goes wrong and they overshoot for a total of six months. Noriko turns 16, while the Exelion is commissioned near the end of 2022.

The Exelion returns to Earth in July of 2032, and by Earth's reckoning, Noriko has aged ten years, but I place her age closer to 26 than 25.

Hope this helps. This is about as accurate as I can get it.

So how old is she at the end of episode 6 (going by the earth years)?

There are two separate answers I can give to this. By the time Operation Calnedius takes place, the year would be 2048, and that would make Noriko just shy of 42. By the time episode 6 ends, when Noriko and Kazumi return to Earth in the year 14,292, Noriko would be 12,286 years-old. Kazumi would be two years older than Noriko.

You've got to remember also, that we have been dealing with US Rendition's original translation of the series, which, if you go by the first three episodes, was pretty attrocious. Now, to clear some things up.

Noriko was nine when her father was killed. You got that right. Her 8th was the last time she saw him.

Noriko also entered the Okinawa Girls' School in 2021 just shy of her 15th birthday. She had been there for almost a year when Ota selects her and Amano for the Gunbuster program. This was in June of 2022. Then comes the mission to investigate the anomaly. This mission will take three months at Earth time. Jung states to Noriko that they will have a party to celebrate their birthdays as Noriko is scheduled to return beforehand. But the mission goes wrong and they overshoot for a total of six months. Noriko turns 16, while the Exelion is commissioned near the end of 2022.

The Exelion returns to Earth in July of 2032, and by Earth's reckoning, Noriko has aged ten years, but I place her age closer to 26 than 25.

Hope this helps. This is about as accurate as I can get it.

Indeed she is closer to 26 than 25. She's about 25 and 10 1/2 months. Still, that's far from the 27 stated. Oh well. I'll just sum it up as Kazumi just not actually doing the math. ;)

I know the translation is bad, but I was also going by the literal translation series. The line that's basically been confusing me is this one, "1 minute at sub-light speed means three months on the earth." I know they say they'll be gone three months (ever notice how most times the difference is 6 months?). Coach says the mission time is ten minutes. So I can only assume they're at sub light speed for two minutes total or something. But then how does twelve seconds add three months if one minute equals three months? I know I'm probably missing something, but it still confuses me a bit. I guess the important thing is that they were supposed to be gone three months but instead were gone six.

Wolfx, the Top o Nerae Tribute video and the trailer are two vastly different things.

Here's a trailer that's different from the streaming one, available on youtube.

It doesn't seem to want to cooperate with Video downloader at the moment.

Top o Nerae Tribute is a fan AMV made for Fanime 2002. My second anime convention. That year I decided to watch the semi-finals (this was back when the audience voted for them as well). I'm glad I did. Sadly, due to lack of familiarity on the part of the audience, I was about the only person cheering for it. That year, the best video at the con didn't make it to the finals. So if I hadn't gone, I would've missed it. Amusingly, I had heard of it shortly before they showed it. The creator was talking to a friend of mine, and mentioned he'd entered a Gunbuster video. I told him that I'd recently seen the series and loved it, so I'll probably really like it, especially given the music choice. He didn't seem to care. :rolleyes: I was right too.

Basically, it's a melding of Gunbuster with the theme to Edward Scissorhands by Danny Elfman. There's something about it that just works flawlessly. It affects me the same way as the series does. It just captures all the emotion of the OAV. Which is probably why only I loved it. I'm sure I was one of the only Gunbuster fans in the audience that night, and you most likely need to have seen the OAV to truly get the impact of the video.

Sadly, the website it was hosted at is dead. It's still up at AMV.org. You have to register though, and I think they still have a brief waiting period for new accounts. It's totally worth it though.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/me...info.php?v=8667

I'll see about uploading it elsewhere to those interested. I tried putting it on MySpace for my profile, but it wouldn't go. Any suggestions? I don't just want to slap it on YouTube. The quality is so-so enough(2002 technology).

EDIT I grabbed the rest of the Gunbuster only videos there. I've only watched about two of them. I liked this one a lot. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/me...hp?vid_id=29391 It's not as good as Top o Nerae Tribute, but still great.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Thanks mercurial morpheus. Haven't got to watching the tribute yet but downloading as we speak.

Anyway i got my hands on the Gunbuster Renewal subs and just skipped through some of the episodes and rewatched the EX and extra Science lessons.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!

Also rewatched the last ep of both top 1 and top 2. Its cool that they made the ending the same especially of the Earth but from a different angle. We can't see the Gunbuster as it floats in space but instead get to see the moon with Nono's butt imprint.

I was watching the Top 1 end and the Top 2 end side by side. Pretty cool to see some stuff like the orbiting light (which is actually the rotating boosters around the earth's equator) retained in top2.

The captain in Top 2 looks almost the same as the captain in Top 1, wonder if he's the same guy.

Edited by wolfx

Also rewatched the last ep of both top 1 and top 2. Its cool that they made the ending the same especially of the Earth but from a different angle. We can't see the Gunbuster as it floats in space but instead get to see the moon with Nono's butt imprint.

I was watching the Top 1 end and the Top 2 end side by side. Pretty cool to see some stuff like the orbiting light (which is actually the rotating boosters around the earth's equator) retained in top2.

The captain in Top 2 looks almost the same as the captain in Top 1, wonder if he's the same guy.

Yeah, that's probably the thing that I liked most about the ending of Top2. It was a nice homage to the original without actually showing them.

It's funny, I did the same thing and watched the two endings synced up too.

That's not Captain Tashiro. I guess it could be possible, but he'd have to have spend as much time in subspace as Noriko and Kazumi in order to not age.

Hey Everyone, BOME is releasing a Noriko figure

here's the link

http://mgrsti3030s.seamlesstech.biz/templa...subFolderID=165

Yep, and if you read the text closely on the ad, you will notice that it will be released as a PVC statue. Still though, the original kit was pretty impressive as it was quite large. Seeing as how I will never get around to putting mine together, I will probably buy this one.

Edit: By the way, larger image:

10051475a.jpg

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Are there any new pics of the SOC Gunbuster?

I owe this to you guys. Not quite new pics, but these were taken by me at Chara Hobby.

I really hope the launchpad and RX-9s are included in the GB set because they're being shown at every convention on display.

2001544500495092197_th.jpg

2001588624585865139_th.jpg

2001573879821811798_th.jpg

2001592689850584655_th.jpg

Oh, and thanks for the spoiler, Wolfx. I'd read a tiny bit before, didn't need the added details.:rolleyes:;)

Sorry. Fixed that, though its not really a spoiler, just observing how the directors tried to have a "samenesss" to the original ending credits that's all.

Anyway here's another SPOILER question to those who've watched the RAW, also about the ending credits.

During the ending credits, as the moon passes by the screen, a whole bunch of lights light up in the middle forming some sort of insignia or logo. Anybody know what that logo is?

I owe this to you guys. Not quite new pics, but these were taken by me at Chara Hobby.

I really hope the launchpad and RX-9s are included in the GB set because they're being shown at every convention on display.

I think that the tower will be inculded because it looks like it's been manufactured but the RX's and base were probably mocked up for the diorama.

They could still be included, the base could just be a bit of card in the bottom of the box but I'm not going to raise my hopes for that.

Ooooh nice, thanks wolfx!

I'm really having a hard time deciding between this and the YF-19... damned limited space for displaying :angry:

How big is the Gunbuster supposed to be?

Edited by Twoducks

Ooooh nice, thanks wolfx!

I'm really having a hard time deciding between this and the YF-19... damned limited space for displaying :angry:

How big is the Gunbuster supposed to be?

About 30cm tall but I don't know if that's to the top of the head or the shoulders...

It could end up being as big as Masterpiece prime which would make him a formidible center piece for any super robot collection.

Yep, and if you read the text closely on the ad, you will notice that it will be released as a PVC statue. Still though, the original kit was pretty impressive as it was quite large. Seeing as how I will never get around to putting mine together, I will probably buy this one.

Edit: By the way, larger image:

10051475a.jpg

Damn you guys, now even I want this!

Wow, I didn't even notice at first that the Bome Noriko figure is the same as the one he did for General Products 15+ years ago! And that one was 1/5 scale.

I have that kit, by the way :)

He actually did another Noriko kit for Kaiyodo too, which I believe is 1/4 scale. I like that one a bit more.

post-50-1158696399_thumb.jpg

I have that kit too :p

Edited by Valkyrie

I'm sure that some here have already seen it, but found this while browsing Youtube. Very cool short interview video with Noriko Hidaka and Rei Sakuma, with some footage of them doing actual voice over work. Check it out!

That's from the R2 special edition set extra's. Hopefully it will still be on the R1 Honeamise release of Gunbuster. And for that matter...hopefully it'll be out this year!

As a complete Noob to Gunsbuster, I was looking to get the Gunbuster DVD(s). I didnt know that it would be available this year. I was going to order from sundevil dvd. (I know thats a bootleg) So will the new dvds be a set including all the episodes or will they be sold speratley say 2 eps per disk? any websites i should go to? i've been visiting the Gunbuster index are there others that folks prefer?

Also a very Happy belated Birthday to Noriko.

As a complete Noob to Gunsbuster, I was looking to get the Gunbuster DVD(s). I didnt know that it would be available this year. I was going to order from sundevil dvd. (I know thats a bootleg) So will the new dvds be a set including all the episodes or will they be sold speratley say 2 eps per disk? any websites i should go to? i've been visiting the Gunbuster index are there others that folks prefer?

Also a very Happy belated Birthday to Noriko.

Dude, when Bandai/Honneamise decides to inform us of the release date, rest assured it will be posted here http://www.bandaivisual.us/gunbuster/ as well as other places. And stay away from that bootleg.

The bootleg isn't "that" bad, it's a nice holdover at least until this is out. But with a little luck, the BV release will perfectly mimic the R2, which is a single set with 4 disc's (2 disc amaray cases), mini book, etc.