Wow that looks awesome. But I'm not a fan of classic anime remakes.

Why not ? If the design and story can be actualised all the while remaining true in spirit to the original I see no harm.

I still hate with a passion Tatsunoko for not coming through with the remake of Hurricane Polymar, although they managed to do the first 2 episodes. And those 2 episodes were excellent to say the least.

Is this the same staff that worked on the Rebirth movie?

Cause that one left a bad taste in my mouth. This? The complete opposite.

No, definately not the same staff that worked on Rebirth. And more importantly, Nishizaki is gone, as is his irrational hatred of the U.S. & blonde women (well, you've seen Rebirth, you know), so this should be straight up Yamato. I'm digging the preview, though it is jarring to see Matsumoto styled ships with generic character designs. I wouldn't import this, but I'd sure pick it up if it gets licensed.

No, definately not the same staff that worked on Rebirth. And more importantly, Nishizaki is gone, as is his irrational hatred of the U.S. & blonde women (well, you've seen Rebirth, you know),so this should be straight up Yamato. I'm digging the preview, though it is jarring to see Matsumoto styled ships with generic character designs. I wouldn't import this, but I'd sure pick it up if it gets licensed.

where online is the dirt on Nishizaki? i checked wiki but there's nothing to imply anything other than legalize about control of the IP at the top of the article... reading up the wiki on him and a couple bio's probably made after his drowning, just make him seem like Japan's Linsey Lowhan (maybe?)... or maybe the wiki is simply sanitized? Edited by TehPW

Watch Yamato Rebirth. It's basically about Space America controlling the Space U.N. to stop the Space Middle Eastern people from taking in Earth refugee's (read Space Japan) after a moving black hole threaton's the planet. Space Germany (part of the Space U.N.) rebels against Space America, and get's taken out by them, the Yamato fights some more, and discovers that Space America is literally the interdimensional Space Devil (no seriously, this happens). The Yamato free's the Space U.N. & Space Middle Eastern planet from the Space Devil, and discovers that the moving black hole is actually a portal to Space Hell.

During the course of the film, Yuki dies for absolutely no reason (she technically dissapears, but when the Space U.N. attacks her ship, only her hat is found). The only other blonde female aboard the Yamato also dies pretty nastily while fighting the portal to Space Hell, since someoen thought it'd be a good idea to stock the auxilery target, I mean bridge with an all female astro-mapping crew.

The End. Seriously, this is 100% the plot of Yamato Rebirth..

Stretching things how, again, did you see Rebirth? I didn't say Yamato wasn't ripe for a reboot, I just wish they had kept Leiji Matsumoto involved.

The whole Nishizaki hates the UN and the US bit... The movie was such a disjointed mess it is hard to figure out what it was really meant to be. You might be pleased with the director's cut ending, from the sound of it he destroys the Yamato yet again. (the director's cut ending is said to be the more depressing one)

The whole Nishizaki hates the UN and the US bit... The movie was such a disjointed mess it is hard to figure out what it was really meant to be. You might be pleased with the director's cut ending, from the sound of it he destroys the Yamato yet again. (the director's cut ending is said to be the more depressing one)

Uh huh, the red white & blue aliens controlling space U.N. and oppressing the other space U.N. nations into being their own personal army wasn't abstract art dude. Blowing up the Yamato yet again would hardly make things any better. If you want to see Nishizaki at his worst, watch Arrividerci. If you want to see Yamato with Matsumoto fixing things, watch Yamato season 2. Same story, drastically different takes.

Actually the Directors Cut fixes the movie quite a bit in terms of narrative resolution. the Black Hole isnt a gateway to hell. takes earth away with it somewhere towards the center of the galaxy, and the Yamato sets off in persuit. Meanwhile, the 1/3 of humanity that were relocated survive. (Oh and they cut the naked Yuki scene.)

I think the politics of Resurrection would have been less of an issue had the originally planned trilogy actually been made and therefore allowed the plot and setting to find its originality. But like some others here I was more than willing to turn a blind eye to the obvious real world parallels just to see more, new Yamato!

Personally, having grown up with blue space Nazis, Nishizaki's politics are neither surprising nor do they disturb me much. But then again when I was in highschool we had anti-American cultural imperialism lectures, so what would I know? lol.

FYI, Yamato 2199 is different creative staff but still has backing from Enagio (the company behind resurrection an holders of the IP) if I remember correctly. Having said that, The series isnt listed on their website. Intriguing.

...THEY CUT THE NAKED YUKI SCENE!!!!!!!!!

Keith, when you generalize Resurection like that, i suppose Nishizaki having died the way he did... *mumbles* I just didnt know about his political leanings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMs8-dcPy3s

at 30secs.... Captain Gideon (i forget his japanesse name)?

Edited by TehPW

Captain Hijetaka in Yamato. Yup, sure looks like him. :)

I'm so glad they're bringing back Isao Sasaki to do the opening theme, as it isn't Yamato without him.

The single is available for preorder. I gotta have it.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=MED-CD2-09199&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_originaltitle%3DSpace+Battleship+Yamato+%28Star+Blazers%29%24pagemax%3D100%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

I love Yamato, one of my first tastes of anime really, seems every few years we get a new Yamato.. something and this is looking great so far.

But i gotta say it, how about they give us a little SDF Macross reboot some love? I dont need one every few years.. just one good one will do :)

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2135846&forumid=17

Me getting reamed by the guy that runs starblazers.com about my opinion that Nishzaki has done more damage to the Yamato franchise than good. He directed me to some articles he wrote for the site, but there really isn't much that contradicts what I said.

Let's face it, does anyone believe this remake would actually be made if Nishizaki was still alive?

http://www.robotech....5846&forumid=17

Me getting reamed by the guy that runs starblazers.com about my opinion that Nishzaki has done more damage to the Yamato franchise than good. He directed me to some articles he wrote for the site, but there really isn't much that contradicts what I said.

Let's face it, does anyone believe this remake would actually be made if Nishizaki was still alive?

We already know the answer to that, and it's

-Whatever submarine Yamato was called

-Odin: Starlight Mutiny

-Yamato 2520

-Yamato Rebirth.

Here's an interesting read from starblazers.com, an interview with Leiji Matsumoto.

http://www.starblazers.com/html.php?page_id=549

In America, Star Blazers gave most of us our first contact with Yamato, so we saw Yamato 2 before Farewell. We were impressed by Desslok's revival when he said, "as long as I live, Gamilon lives," and eventually came to understand the people of Earth. Was it your spirit that shone through in the TV version?

Yes. So in the next work, [The New Voyage, 1979] the producer and I got into a big fight since he liked to kill everyone and I hated it. When I create a story and a character, I think about why I'm doing it and put my whole self into it. So if the character is easily killed off, it feels to me like my child or my brother was murdered.

This is the difference between producer and creator. I actually got very angry, throwing the script away saying, "I don't care any more," and decided to go it alone and make my own works. I couldn't stand by and watch it turn into a sob story about death, and I could no longer put up with the disagreement. He didn't want to let it go, and I was tired of it.

I will say, the more I watch these trailers, the more excited I get about this release. I just wonder how long it's going to take to come out, since that's directly proportionate to the time it would take to even dream of having it licensed.

*smirk* in the back of my mind, assuming all legal preventions are gone, the 'Earth' of Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers is actually a far in the future Macross colony that lost access to its overtech roots, and maybe the various humanoid aliens are all desendants of other macross colonies.... sorry i just like the idea of EDF frigates and destroyers next to old, decrepid Gitmos...

That would have to be the other way round, Yamato came first.

chicken, egg... its like Matrix thinking, always assuming they are legit/on earth/etc... think about it. you could possibly even get Star wars involved if you add several thousands of years into the hole scope of things...