The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

*hasn't posted here in ages*

I just recieved my copy yesterday. When I heard the news, I decided to read the thread on AoDVD... and kinda wish I didn't.

Anyways, I'm a little disappointed by the change, but it's not gonna hinder my enjoyment of it. Though I'm a little more disappointed by the "reason" for the change as opposed to the change itself. They changed it because they feared a lawsuit for a song sounding similar? That's... a little odd. I mean, FMP! has an almost carbon-copy of the A-Team theme, and it didn't seem to be an issue at all.

Video quality looks great though, and I'm happy about that. ... as long as I don't watch it on my PC, that is. Though I attribute this more to the aspect ration of PowerDVD than anything else...

What I mean:

IPB Image

Look at the far left. It's there on all the episodes/science lessons, but not the mini-films or anything else. Only shows up when I watch the episodes on my PC, too.

Ok, this is just screwed up. Can anyone who's near a kinokuniya bookstore drop by and pick up one of the R0 versions for me? It'll have to be shipped up to Canada.

It cost quite a bit more though, $99 bucks + tax + shipping, versus the domestic release at roughly $44 shipped if you find it cheap. I understand that a good number of you guys are concerned with the minor changes made. But I don't know if the differences justify the extra cost. Though I do like the box art on the R2 version quite a bit more.

It cost quite a bit more though, $99 bucks + tax + shipping, versus the domestic release at roughly $44 shipped if you find it cheap. I understand that a good number of you guys are concerned with the minor changes made. But I don't know if the differences justify the extra cost. Though I do like the box art on the R2 version quite a bit more.

For me it's worth it.

1) it's R0. I don't have to worry about dealing with region settings on my computers, PS3 or dvd player.

2) Eps.1 audio isn't messed up.

3) It will include the matte episode 6 scene.

4) Gunbuster is one of my anime Holy Grails.

Plus I'm still getting the R1 version this February. Not going to screw over my local supplier.

Tried ordering through Kinokuniya's website, they include Canada as one of their shipping destination but the Zip Code field only takes 5 characters. Canada uses a 6 code system(Postal Code) so it won't let me order it through there hence why I need a US based member to buy it for me.

When you called it "Montage", I thought it was going to be the South Park song. Still, out of context, that kind of worked. In many ways it was somewhat better than what they replaced it with. It oddly matched up (like in the jumping jacks.)

Great stuff. ^_^

Thanks for the sub update Keith. The way the rep responded about, "all important info is represented" along with Jeleinen's post really had me disappointed there. Good to know one problem is taken care of. I assume this includes Kazumi's speech except, correct?

Also, could you place the exact track they replaced it with. I'm pretty sure I remember it, but I'm not certain, and don't wish to spread misinformation. I'm pretty sure it was edited to fit.

Also, I can't remember, but were the sound effects still present in the scene. I know the dialog was fine, but I can't remember if the effects were there.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I got my GunBuster vs. DieBuster box yesterday. I like the box art :D but I didn't like the Gunbuster DVD cover :( it wasn't Mikimoto

It came with some cool artwork cards and figures (you can remove Nono, if you want)

post-405-1170610521_thumb.jpg

post-405-1170610644_thumb.jpg

post-405-1170610821_thumb.jpg

post-405-1170610851_thumb.jpg

post-405-1170610889_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunbuster

I don't know the name of the track either, but I think someone tagged it in the AOD topic. But it's too military sounding, and doesn't work at all for the scene. And the SFX were no longer in the scene, but the bit of dialogue was.

I just finished the R1 set BTW, and hey guess what. Aside from the jarrying BGM replacement (man, does that not fit there), all of the audio on the first episode is botched. It's muffled & a bit tinny. When you compare it with the R2 or even the other episodes on the same set, you can really tell how botched the audio re-encode for the edit was. Suck!

Hey keith, this sounds like a serious problem. I could live with the crappy BGM replacement, but now you're telling us that the audio of the 1st episode is botched? ZOMG....why what how ? Is it because its too soft? Explain "muffled & a bit tinny".

omg....whyyyyy?!?!

I figured the effects were gone. So they basically took a CD recording and threw in the surviving dialogue. Worse case scenareo.

I agree on the art for the movie sets. We've got a box with a smiling Nono, and a Noriko that looks like someone just socked her in the face. Then we have another cool piece of art for Nono, but a classic image for Gunbuster redone with little regard for character design.

Great set if you're a Diebuster fan. I liked' the simple preview art CDJapan showcased better. A Sadamoto styled Noriko and Kazumi against a white background. Simple, bu more on model than that.

Hopefully the R1 will have better artwork. I want the figures though...

Great set if you're a Diebuster fan. I liked' the simple preview art CDJapan showcased better. A Sadamoto styled Noriko and Kazumi against a white background. Simple, bu more on model than that.

no worries, that's in the DVD inserts :D

post-405-1170656356_thumb.jpg

post-405-1170656377_thumb.jpg

Basically, we go from a beautifully clear PCM audio track (R2, and the other 5 episodes in the R1 set), to a lower grade, lower level, slightly tinny (you know, the sound you get from listening to something in a tin can) version of the same track.

Apparently a few of the AOD members aren't even notcing the difference, but I found it significant enough to be annoyed. Mind you this set is far from all bad, the picture quality is still one of the best remasters I've ever seen. I can't help but wonder if AnimEigo hadn't added the "noise" back into the picture, if it would have looked this good. The translation is also "top" notch. And the extra's, including the 2 new science lessons, and new short featuring Jung & the Sizzler Black all make it worth it if you don't already have the R2 (subtitles make it worth it too).

It just seems as if a monkey wrench was intentionally thrown into it for some unknown reason.

btw, PowerDVD-v4 reports disc-1 has a steady 1536Kbps LPCM-2.0 Audio.

What does the R2 or the R0 report as audio-levels?

edit:

Oh, yeah. Here's my take on ep1 of the R1.

First off, I don't have the R0 or the R2.

Ok. I'm listening to ep1 thru my headphones (a lowly sony mdr-v150) and I'm quite disappointed in the initial audio-quality. I'm not sure what the actual audio-quality of the other dvd-versions (R0/R2) are, but the audio-quality on this R1 in ep1 were indeed a bit crappy when using headphones. At least, with the audio in the first half of ep1.

It seems like there's a more pronounced bias to the left-side. The right-side is very low. The left-side has more clearer output.

A trailing left-echo was very evident when the camp-commandant was addressing the students, for example (around 7:47 to 7:58).

However, the bias seems to have disappeared a little bit around after the first eyecatch (12:44 onwards) and both sides seemed to have balanced out thru the remainder of the episode-1.

Fwiw, the changed bgm on Noriko's workout didn't really bother me. The original was fine, but the replacement theme was really not that bad. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Edited by treatment

My Gunbuster DVD set arrived yesterday, but i wasn't home to get it, so i'm going to the post office to collect it today. I'll let you guys know what i think about it once i watched it.

My Gunbuster DVD set arrived yesterday, but i wasn't home to get it, so i'm going to the post office to collect it today. I'll let you guys know what i think about it once i watched it.

Man, that was swift, I haven't even looked for it online yet. :lol:

How many squids was it?

OK, I've watched the first disc, so far its alright, the music change seems out of place though, I think maybe some of you "Hardcore Sticklers" have a very good point now that I've heard it myself.

I started to mess about with the first episode, I think I might be becoming a "Hardcore Stickler" :lol: . I Copied the first dvd on my computer. I then dug up my very old HK VCD version and copied the audio to the DVD version. To my surprise the audio is actually better than the new one, its much louder and clearer with no distortion etc. So now i have great picture quality from the DVD and good audio from the VCD. Can't get subtitles though.

Got my R1 set and finally watched the who thing in one sitting. Only have seen episode 1-3 before, so finally get to see the ending after all these years. Not a hardcore fan of the series, so luckily the changes didn't bother me too much.

Though I find the cover box doesn't look too nice, with the Kaiyodo figure, the fake grass, the sky, and Mikimoto's illustration of the 3 girls seem quite out of place. Though good that they at least included the R2 box art illustration in the inside. Booklet is not bad. Though its still quite inferior in terms of packaging design when compared to most R2 anime releases, regardless the obvious effort they put in.

I do have a question though, regarding the "Okaerinasai" appeared in the show & booklet cover. Is there a reason or implied meaning in having the last katagana character "i" printed backwards? Couldn't figure this one out.

I was told it was a Russian syntax, or something like that. Yes, it is intentional.

How did BV handle that anyway? USR put a backwards 'E' in 'Home'. Is it like the booklet with a 'back' with a backwards 'K'?

In other news, I bit the bullet, and picked up the R0. It was quite the experience, what with the Gunbuster music blaring over the CD player as we crossed the Bay Bridge (instead of the traditional 'Patlabor 2 - Hallucination' track). Basically, we were trying to get to the San Francisco Japantown Kinokuniya before they closed. We missed it by five minutes.

My friend had bought a copy (before me) since I got him interested by loaning him volume one (I found an extra Manga release copy). Since the guy was still at the register, we waved him over so I could acquire info on it (how many left, did they have to pull them on the 20th, etc). My friend pulled out his copy, which helped to communicate my meaning through the glass door. Since I knew what I wanted, he let me buy it after the store had closed. So I owe my other friend another 60 bucks (I only had $40).

We also got him to give us their display materials for it. I got the display info card, and my friend and I each got the two plastic tag ads, and two empty art boxes (actually, I got three, but I gave one to my other friend). The only thing we didn't get is the extra postcard.

So I must extend gratitude to the manager of SF's Kinokuniya for making the trip and expense much worthwhile. I'll see about scanning the display stuff if anyone's interested.

The added material is quite nice, though greatly intended purely for the hardcore fans.

Interestingly enough, my friend had called them earlier. They said that they had four copies. So now they have two. though counting the display, we saw dozens of copies though. they claim four, we see like forty on the shelves.

Of other note, I humbly request that those of you registered for AOD.com's forums who haven't already consider voting for my entry - Charcole and Figures - if you're impartial to the entries. Any extra votes are greatly appreciated, with thanks in advance. I'll definitely attempt a combo of the R0 audio with the R1 subs when I get an R1 copy. Assuming it already hasn't been done by then.

Voting ends on the 13th.

My Entry

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/16952/

Vote here

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/17216/

Well, at least I'll know who to blame if I lose by a vote. <_<

I'm joking of course... Still, I appreciate it. ^_^

I assume you vted for Jejune's entry? That guy's a lock. He's definitely getting a set.

Oh, and Kung Flu, my SF friend who also bought the set), made up for purchasing it before me by telling me that he took the liberty of preordering me a BOME Noriko (he's getting one as well). I went silent when he said that. It also explains how he knew her release date. So it looks like she's covered.