Here's a closer look at the Mega Size Model RX-78-2 Gundam. It's too bad Bandai stopped this Gunpla line after AGE blew up on them.

It was an expensive kit for what you get as a glorified large HG when you can get a PG with much more for almost the same price in some degree. I'd only recommend a Mega Grade for those who are die hard Gundam fans, even I own one.

I goofed around tonight while waiting on turkey to finish and finished my Pale Rider kit. Then I took parts of it and my 7th Gundam and interchanged them to make these monstrosities.

post-600-0-12904400-1448591500_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-39258700-1448591504_thumb.jpg

Honestly? I like them both! But now I'm totally focused on making either one of these a reality. Most likely using parts of the 7th Gundam as I have a spare kit....probably will change the head maybe into the Thunderbolt version or something else I haven't decided.

I do want to change out the backpack but the Pale Rider version isn't exactly compatible it's a little to wide and low.

It uses the two hole system going side to side so if anyone has ideas I'm open to suggestions.

I also have an HD weapons pack and some other bonus parts to make the kitbash a little more unique. But I like the build idea so much that this would be my own custom Build Fighters model.

So I started on the MG Nu Gundam Ver. Ka. Progress will be slow because I don't have much time to work on it.

These are the colors I'll be using. Matt White, Silver Leaf, German Grey, Gun Metal, Light Gun Metal, Titanium Gold and Clear Red. All spoons primed with Tamiya Fine Grey primer. The Gold and Red are backed with the Silver Leaf. The red turned out nice but I don't like the gold. Came out too dark and not the bright yellowish gold that I want so I'll probably not use it. All the red parts of the kit and the Amuro base will be the metallic red. The frame will be a three maybe four tone scheme with Gun Metal, Light Gun Metal, Silver and Gold. The off white parts on the kit will be left primer grey. lol

20151204_1930481.jpg

Also bored out the head vulcans. Looks much better.

20151204_1932451.jpg

Can't wait to see it. Nu Ver.Ka looks fantastic painted and decaled up.

Yeah. I've been watching reviews and WIPs of this kit on Youtube and it's giving me a few ideas. This one guy used Sharpie paint markers to detail the inner frame and it looks amazing.

Personally I'm thinking about using magnets to hold the fin funnels and a custom LED setup for light up head.

Sharpie is alcohol soluble.

Actually it's been my experience that pretty much any marking you put on a model kit is going to dissolve to some level if wiped with alcohol. Especially paint markers.

I see. I have some dollar store brand alcohol and that doesn't really seem to do much. It just kind of smears the ink all over the place. I have the pour type Gundam marker and it doesn't like to work on paint surfaces as it just blobs at the point of application and doesn't run down the panel line. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Also what's the best way to go about getting replacement tabs for the beam sabers? Or am I pretty much SOL?

I just bought some 91% and it works wonders. Maybe a little too well as it takes too much off if I'm not careful. How long do you guys let the ink dry before cleaning it up?

Depends how you're building. I cut all my parts, clean nubs then apply my stuff. By the time I finish cutting next set of parts I'll start cleaning. Sooooooo let's say 20 minutes should be nicely set.

Very light, deliberate motion perpendicular to the panel line, with the cotton swab moistened in alcohol and then dabbed off onto a cloth or napkin. Start as easy as possible and work your way up in the toughness of your removal as needed. Use other methods as needed, such as your paper towel wipe. The thing to remember about model building is, while there is chemistry, there's not any real science to it. You work with generally correct methods and refine as needed for the application. I've had builds where I burn through a whole box of Q-tips, and I've had builds where I just about use none. Use every tool at your disposal.

How do you guys prevent wiping off the ink in the panel lines? Using q tips even with not a lot of alcohol takes off too much. I tried using a folded up paper towel and that seems to work a bit better.

Wait until what you're wiping off is dry. Then, with a damp (not soaked) Q-tip, gently wipe the top surface (so as to not press the Q-tip) into the groove) of the direction of air flow over the vehicle.

This technique works for my go-to of choice - black watercolour in acrylic paint thinner (using thinner on the applicator), so it may not have the same results for you. Therefore, try it first on an underside (or whatever) part of the kit that people aren't going to be looking at the most.

Another option I've found that works with the Gundam Markers is to use an eraser. As time progressed, I found that even the pad of the thumb works to provide enough friction to remove the excess.

Edited by sketchley

Finished 3 funnels for the MG Hi-Nu Ka... Those purple decals were a huge pain in the ass... Lesson learned, next time im painting them. Now i just need to finish the other 3 funnels and im done with this kit. Goal is to finish it before the end of 2015.

7B9E363E-A85F-4F82-B1E9-C1826BB16430_6.j

0BA0EA8C-BD7E-4121-82EE-6DC504C86765_7.j

BB7C67C7-B416-4F91-9E97-35894B32D6B2_6.j

Edited by anubis20