30th Anniversary Exhibit NEWS - Talk

dreadpyrat

Just got back from the event. I lined up at 5:30 AM and was 10th in line. They handed out tickets starting a little before 10am. I opted for the 3:30 PM signing so I could go home and have lunch with my wife. I was number 2 for the 3:30 signing. Bariaburu Faita and I walked through the gallery and agreed there was more stuff than in the Tokyo art show. Lots of really great images with the original pencils from Frontier, and there were some oil paintings from SDFM that neither of us has seen before. We considered getting the audio guided tour narrated by Sheryl and Ranka but passed. Good thing too cause it's included on the bonus CD in the Art Show Book we had to buy in order to get our ticket to the signing stamped. I had asked and was told that Mikimoto would be signing that book and that book only. It's a good book, with the lions share of the works exhibited reprinted, I just didn't like having their overstock(they had piles and piles of it) foisted off me instead of getting to pick the merch I wanted to meet the entrance requirements.

Bariaburu Faita went to the 2:00 PM signing and he emailed me that Mikimoto was signing 2 items per person and her would sign ANY of his works, not just the commemorative book (which only dedicates a single page to his work). BF manged to grab me the mini poster card of minmay, Basara, and Mylene before it sold out (Thank you, thank you, thank you!) and when I arrived I bought the 2nd to last copy of Girls Scenery (Mikimoto's art book, no Macross, but its really beautiful work). So I was ready with my 2 autograph items and lined up.

Mikimotos' assistant came out and explained that we could each get two items signed. then he looks at me and says in English 'Do you understand?' and I replied in the positive. Once we were inside, while we were waiting for Mikimoto to get ready, the assistant asked me in front of everybody If I liked Robotech. I told him that Yes I did, when I was a kid, but now I like Macross. That got a few laughs and then he introduced Mikimoto. I was up right away and so he signed the art book to me, and then autographed the poster card without my name. I was given a choice of gold or silver ink for the poster autograph and I froze- I have never been asked which color i want at a signing. I decided gold and so he signed in gold. I shook his hand and thanked him for all the work he had done.

This following Tenjin's signing session and talk show with Kawamori as the Suprise Guest has made this pretty much the best Macross Summer Ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to change trains at Minmato-mirai tomorrow so I guess I'll pop over and take a look at the valk again. Apparently it has more details now than the first unveiling in Ikebukuro?

Many stickers are added. I.e. its fingers. "NOT HANDHOLD" is added on its each finger.

And as I pointed out before, Kawamori-san's autograph is added. IIRC, he wote it in the Osaka exhibit.

You've got to know one thing. This time, if you want to get on its hand, you must make a contract with WOWOW.
Ah, this time, shooting video is not prohibited.

Thanks!

I actually realized that I was looking at the wrong thing -- I have to take the Minato-mirai line from Shibuya, but the station I change at is not Minato-mirai itself, so I will not be seeing the valk in the end. Oh, well. :p

Edited by Renato

Thanks!

I actually realized that I was looking at the wrong thing -- I have to take the Minato-mirai line from Shibuya, but the station I change at is not Minato-mirai itself, so I will not be seeing the valk in the end. Oh, well. :p

Hm. You didn't go there, but the other member went today?

So funny.

Apparently the first day of the "Oshare Macross 2" event in the Kyoto 101 store was a big success.

http://www.0101.co.jp/stores/guide/storetp/news/00088detail.html?comment_id=62689

Pending the weather (currently thundershowers), I'm thinking of checking it out later today. Again, pending the weather (this year has been really weird. It's almost like the monsoon season, that largely missed its regular time, has come back to haunt us!)

I wish I had a heads up, I would have met you there.

Apparently the first day of the "Oshare Macross 2" event in the Kyoto 101 store was a big success.

http://www.0101.co.jp/stores/guide/storetp/news/00088detail.html?comment_id=62689

Pending the weather (currently thundershowers), I'm thinking of checking it out later today. Again, pending the weather (this year has been really weird. It's almost like the monsoon season, that largely missed its regular time, has come back to haunt us!)

Oshare Macross 2 was a little underwhelming. Nevertheless, there were a lot of goods (mostly T-shirts, but quite a few posters, 3D giant postcards (or mini-posters), DX Chougokin, danties, jewellery, a few books and Minmei dolls) on sale.

The Oshare area itself was rather small (crammed into what is normally an aisle and mini-lounge area next to the escalators), and aside from the merchandise, there were only a pair of large banners at the entrance, and a TV in the middle running Macross clips (or promos).

I was tempted to try some of the gelato from the store that had the tie-in promotion, but due to the cost (I went with my 3 kids), the lack of seating (some benches, pretty much full at the time) and as anyone who lives in the area knows, the best gelato in Kyoto is at Shinpachi* in Arashiyama, I passed on it.

* http://www.sinpachi.com/site/contents/store/st_gelato.htm

• 5 months later...

Gerwalk_w also went to see it. The Shuinchushiki event was held in Asakusa on 22th, and the exhibit started from the same day. Moreover, Tokyo Sky Tree is located in the next station of the venue of the event.

According to him, a former manager of Kawamori-san was there and explained about the VF-25. And fortunately they could go inside of the fence specially thanks to him.

So he could take some special closer pics, he said.

http://trudge.blog100.fc2.com/blog-entry-922.html1