Jurassic World is the fourth installment of the Jurassic Park film series, to be released on June 12, 2015. Directed by Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed), the film stars Chris Pratt (Peter Quill/Star-Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy, Emmet in The Lego Movie), Bryce Dallas Howard (Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man 3, Story in Lady in the Water). and Vincent D'Onofrio (Gomer Pyle in Full Metal Jacket, Edgar in Men in Black). The film takes place 22 years after the first film, with Isla Nublar becoming the dinosaur theme park that John Hammond had envisioned. And, as usual, something that involves Velociraptors goes wrong.

Jurassic World.org

Jurassic World @ IMDb

That actually was a plot point in the books I think----as it WAS a theme park, they tweaked the DNA to give people what they wanted/expected, not 100% accurate revivals.

That came up in the very first book. Not so much a plot point as a side scene.

The lead scientist proposed making slower, more awkward dinosaurs to make them more "dinosaur-like", and Hammond complained that they WERE real dinosaurs and they couldn't BE more dinosaur-like so people would just have to DEAL.

Except, you know, they were engineered to have a lysine deficiency, their DNA was a patchwork of authentic dino DNA and modern-day DNA from various sources, and none of them were raised in their original environment at all, so they were nothing like REAL real dinosaurs.

Hammond didn't like that line of argument at all. He was still ranting about it when the compies ate him.

Book Hammond was a bit of a jerk, and got what he deserved.

Real shame Michael Crichton died, he was my favorite author. So much so that I bought a signed first edition of Jurassic Park that I discovered in a antique shop this year. Cost me $400 and though it's hard to find the real value of the book I don't plan on selling it ever.

10547664_10152175700685988_3556609022747

Wow, that's really cool.

^ +1

Love the idea of owning first edition hardcover books, I toyed around with trying to get some early editions of The Lord of the Rings, but I'm not filthy stinking rich.

And I hope that Jurassic World is good, for the most part I like the cast but there hasn't been a really good Jurassic Park movie since the first one.

-b.

Except, you know, they were engineered to have a lysine deficiency, their DNA was a patchwork of authentic dino DNA and modern-day DNA from various sources, and none of them were raised in their original environment at all, so they were nothing like REAL real dinosaurs.

I've always been bothered by the lysine deficiency thing. As a kid I just didn't see how it would be a workable solution given their current situation. Then as an adult I learned that Animals don't naturally produce lysine. :mellow:

Edited by anime52k8

I wrote Crichton a letter when I was in the 4th grade, sent him a sequel to Jurassic Park.

It was a class project to write a letter to an author, I decided to write a letter, and add a story.

He wrote back a few months later, telling me it was a great story.

No one else in the class got a letter back from their authors.

Coolest guy ever.

I drew a comic book version of Jurassic Park for myself back then. I guess I was disappointed with the movie because of that but still loved it because of the realistic looking CG dinosaurs. Congo was a great read also. Awful cash in movie. I love buying old beat up leather bound books... not too dog-eared... just worn enough oo read but still looks good enough to display.

I wrote Crichton a letter when I was in the 4th grade, sent him a sequel to Jurassic Park.

It was a class project to write a letter to an author, I decided to write a letter, and add a story.

Coolest guy ever.

That's really cool....of course when Lost World came out you saw how great a story he thought it was LOL!

Joking

Chris

^ +1

Love the idea of owning first edition hardcover books, I toyed around with trying to get some early editions of The Lord of the Rings, but I'm not filthy stinking rich.

And I hope that Jurassic World is good, for the most part I like the cast but there hasn't been a really good Jurassic Park movie since the first one.

-b.

I liked the third film, good fun action. The second film was awful, hard to believe Steven Spielberg actually directed it too. Plus it had very little to do with the book, The Lost World, which is sad as its actually one of my favorite books too. It was so good I finished reading it in a day.

Coolest guy ever.

That is cool and I hope you kept his letter!

I didn't mind the second film so much....BUT.....the cargo ship crew being eaten thing was just stupid beyond all belief. How was the entire crew eaten by a Tyrannosaur that was locked in the cargo hold. Even if every single person went in there, how was at least one person eaten on the bridge, so his hand was still on the helm, by a giant Rex, and the bridge still be intact?

Chris

I didn't mind the second film so much....BUT.....the cargo ship crew being eaten thing was just stupid beyond all belief. How was the entire crew eaten by a Tyrannosaur that was locked in the cargo hold. Even if every single person went in there, how was at least one person eaten on the bridge, so his hand was still on the helm, by a giant Rex, and the bridge still be intact?

Chris

yeah, that didn't make sense even when I was 7. Apparently it was originally intended that a pack of raptors had managed to get aboard the ship, and they were supposed to be the ones that killed the crew. at some point though the raptors were cut, and it left a giant plot hole behind.

I liked the third film, good fun action. The second film was awful, hard to believe Steven Spielberg actually directed it too.

I have this theory that there's a basement somewhere where the real Lucas, Spielberg, Friedkin, De Palma and other good film makers are being kept and doppelgangers are running around making awful movies and hiring Michael Bay. I'm pretty sure they got JJ Abrams half way thru Lost. I think they should check Lindelof's house first but I'm pretty sure there's more than wine in Coppolla's cellar.

I have this theory that there's a basement somewhere where the real Lucas, Spielberg, Friedkin, De Palma and other good film makers are being kept and doppelgangers are running around making awful movies and hiring Michael Bay. I'm pretty sure they got JJ Abrams half way thru Lost. I think they should check Lindelof's house first but I'm pretty sure there's more than wine in Coppolla's cellar.

Ha ha ha, American Dad had an episode pretty much EXACTLY like that!

I blame the second BOOK. It was so blatantly written "to be a movie" you could practically see director's notes scribbled in the margins.

It'd be nice if they actually stuck to the book, damn it was good. But yeah, I get your point too. Michael Crichton was also a movie director so I think he wrote his books in a way that would work on film. I remember reading Rising Sun before it was casted thinking Sean Connery would be an awesome John Connor and a couple of year later sure enough he got the role.

• 2 months later...

More and more I look at the promo images and stills, the more I'm starting to think these are going to be water slide decals because of the way the armor is designed and how clean it all looks.

If you're talking about the armor on a ankylosaurus - those usually don't get decals . . . : O

post-8486-0-66456700-1416578209_thumb.jpg

Crichton was a cool guy and a class act. If asked in private, he would admit that JP2 was all about getting ER funded. ER was his baby and a huge pet project of his that he wanted to get off the ground. After JP1 was such a hit in theatres, despite the changes from the novel, the studio, smelling money, asked him to write another and had some heavy hands in the writing process as a result. He admitted that the book was more a novelization of the script and bore little resemblance to any sequel he would have planned.

Crichton was a cool guy and a class act. If asked in private, he would admit that JP2 was all about getting ER funded. ER was his baby and a huge pet project of his that he wanted to get off the ground. After JP1 was such a hit in theatres, despite the changes from the novel, the studio, smelling money, asked him to write another and had some heavy hands in the writing process as a result. He admitted that the book was more a novelization of the script and bore little resemblance to any sequel he would have planned.

Which is kind of ironic, considering how different the movie was from the book.