1:1 SDF-1 MACROSS in Minecraft PS4 (kind of...)

Vermillion3

Hey all! I'm working on a 1:1 scale Macross (DYRL version) in Minecraft on the PS4 version. I'm having to cheat a bit, as at 256 blocks building height, I can't squeeze the whole thing in. I admit, I should've started with a flat world, but I didn't want to have to create the scenery around it. So, like an idiot, I began with a standard seed, an I find myself spending hours just blowing crap up just to make room to build...

I'm wondering if any fellow PS4 owners would be willing to assist in the excavation, and perhaps even with the construction? Serious replies only please? I'd hate to have some troll stroll in, and start destroying everything I've already built... I look forward to hearing your responses! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, it certainly does present many constraints... Most notably in height. Also, the fact that every "wall" has to be roughly 3' thick doesn't help haha! I'm actually having fun with it though. I'm cheating a bit, making it visually longer and wider in some areas. Perhaps what is taking the longest (aside from excavation) is that I'm trying to build it faithfully to the ship design. Instead of a hollow shell, I'm building individual compartments, and parts. This, I think, will help me to design the city and interior in a semi-practical way. (When I finish in a couple of years lol.)

I've never been too keen on the "fact" that the ship is around 3/4 of a mile in length, or 1200 meters. It just seems way to small to squeeze an entire city into. I'm hoping as I build this, I can set some theories of my own to rest.

I do appreciate the response... I was beginning to wonder if anybody had seen my post lol. I have to assume that perhaps it is such a daunting task, nobody is interested... I'm telling ya though, this may be the single largest object yet made in Minecraft. I don't know where the record stands, but its already bigger than anything I've found on the internet.

I've seen a few videos on YouTube. One, which was my main inspiration for this undertaking, was a mostly complete TV version of the Macross. It pans down the port side, then proceeds below-decks on the Prometheus. That's when I knew...deep down inside... I knew that the person I really wan---huh? Oops lost my train of thought lol.

Nope, that video made me think how cool would it be to have a 1:1 Macross? So I began with the bridge. But I built too low to the ground. I was still new to Minecraft. I figured it would be like Little Big Planet and you could just grab an object and move it anywhere you wanted... no dice.

So I started over. I'm actually quite pleased with the scale that I'm working on right now. The rate I'm going, I should be able to fit most, if not all of it in... Its just going to be slightly squattier and wider. I've built several 1:1 scale mechs too.

So far I have Valkyries in fighter, gerwalk, and battroid forms. Roy's Strike Valkyrie in fighter. Hikarus Strike Valkyrie in battroid. One Tomahawk, one Defender, one Phalanx, one Spartan. And, one Monster. The Monster is even going to have an interior. And they aren't too bad for being made of blocks...lol. Helps if you keep a bit of a fair distance away from them though.

Another issue I'm going to have is going to be the placement of the ARMDs. In order to have an interior, I'm going to place them in the horizontal position. It works on my 1:3000 scale, and its the best option since I'm using slabs for Valkyrie wings...Lot of work ahead though lol

True dat! I been joking with my kids saying after the city inside is complete, we can play hide n seek...lol. Or, equip everybody with bow n arrows... Thanks BTW... I'll post more pics when I get back on it. Flying back east for a week. I almost considered buying a Vita so I could work on it from the hotel, but knowing my luck, i would lose connection, and the system back home would stay on the whole time I was gone...

Don't I wish? A PS Vita, or PS3 version can be exported to a PS4, but not vice-versa. Can't export to PC. I think the PC version is bigger anyway. Had I known, I would have started on my PC, but truth be told, I owned it on the PS4 first... I also started building it on the PS4, before I bought it for the PC. Oh well... After playing the PC version though, I think I like the PS4 version better. The draw distance isn't as great, but a controller and a couch beats a desk and a mouse any day IMHO.

Here's a link to that video on Youtube I was telling you about.

I'm sure I could make them look better... I was just trying to build them on a 1:1 scale... I'd have to make em pretty big to give a semblance of "aerodynamic."

And exporting... Xbox and ps3 can export to PC?

Edited by Vermillion3

• 5 weeks later...

I've searched and searched, and there doesn't seem to be any way to transfer a Minecraft file from PS4 to PC...dangit. :( Oh well. As far as I've come, I'm not starting over... And so long as the will remains, I shall continue...lol

Just a few more pics of the main gun booms, with some added details. They aren't complete, but this makes them far less plain and boring

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150527224321

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531215727

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531215800

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531215826

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531215848

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531215955

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531220042

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531220106

Minecraft  PlayStation®4 Edition 20150531220149

I'll post some more up here in a while...

• 2 months later...

Its been awhile, but as promised, here are some new pics... I apologize that some of them may look like repeats, but they were taken at different times, and usually have new additions to them.

I haven't been building on the ship itself much, but instead been excavating, and adding details to the ship. Although very small, the detail really makes it look better than just a big, flat surface. I've also been adding a few Valkyries to my "fleet," which will eventually encompass the main ship itself.

• 2 months later...

Okay, for those of you that have checked this thread, I intend to submit only a few more pics here soon. I regret that I've finally made up my mind to start over. I'm afraid it's just too much work to excavate making room to build this thing.

I estimate that I'm around 20% done with the outer hull, but I still have so much more land to get rid of, that it's discouraging me. I get on, blow stuff up for a couple hours, and then I don't feel like building. And it's not as if that near-two hour session made much of a difference anyway. At least if I start from scratch, with an empty palette, everything I build will feel like progress.

If you're interested in following this, I'm going to name the thread something similar to this title. After I get enough built to submit some pictures, I'll get it started.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not build it in Space Engineers instead? Then you could actually fly it too.

Because Space Engineers would choke. It struggles to run ships over 100 meters long. I built the empty husk of an Orbital Defense Platform a la Halo 2, and at just over a kilometer long, the game slows to a crawl, even on my decently powerful rig. And that's just with the platform floating in space. No systems or powered blocks. Just heavy armor. Trying to build a scale 1200-meter ship would kill the game completely. No matter how fun it would be to incorporate the transformation mechanism. (Which probably wouldn't work anyway since rotors have a maximum torque and doing it with gyroscopes would be a nightmare)

I love Space Engineers, I just wish it was optimized a ton better.

• 1 month later...

Okay. So I lied(unintentionally, mind you). I WAS going to start over, but have given up on that. I did actually start over, but spent more time switching back and forth between gamesaves than actually doing anything...lol. Anyways, I'm happy to announce that Mojang has finally added the ability to soak up water with a sponge, and that's speeding up excavation immensely! However, for some reason, its now harder to get rid of lava...argh. Oh well. So, I've began construction of the port side engine/leg. I'll post some pics soon! I'm anxious to get back to building now that the holidays are gone. Maybe this year, I'll get something accomplished.