Have been watching TFA all weekend and speaking of crawl, I hope that all of the Star Wars side-stories have either their own unique opening or something that only the side-stories have.

I like the idea of the primary Star Wars Episodes having the crawl and the other films differentiating themselves in that way.

-b.

:rolleyes:

I honestly don't care if the main characters in the new star wars movies are male or female, as long as we don't get a goofy reboot where all the characters get a gender swap. I never did watch the new battle star galactica due to the female starbuck and probably never will.

Thats a mistake.

Katee Sackoff played a great gender irrelevant Starbuck and the series was pretty good aside from the rushed ending due to the screenwriters strikes.

The female characters in Razor, the Battlestar Pegasus Story are brillaintly done without an ounce of sexism.

Edited by NZEOD

Have been watching TFA all weekend and speaking of crawl, I hope that all of the Star Wars side-stories have either their own unique opening or something that only the side-stories have.

I like the idea of the primary Star Wars Episodes having the crawl and the other films differentiating themselves in that way.

-b.

I kind of disagree. I think the opening crawl really helps tie in different works. Most of the Star Wars video games, for example, open with a crawl. What's more typically Star Wars than that opening sequence?

Wow, not watching BSG because of that? Because all the characters have 10x more characterization that the originals. You're really, really missing out. If you like sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to not miss the best series of all. (Yup, better than DS9)

Tried a few episodes of BSG, didn't like it. I think it's too much of a stretch to say that BSG is the best sci-fi series.

DS9 on the other hand, was very good. The first time through. I started a rewatch a few years ago and... stalled out in the 2nd season.

SG-1 has high rewatch value. Sure, it's not as heavy on sci-fi navel meditations as those other series, but perhaps the tone of not taking itself too seriously is what makes it one of the better sci-fi shows? Which puts it up there with Red Dwarf, eh (similar tone et al). ;)

... which brings me pause. Star Wars has a similar, relaxed sci-fi tone. Rogue One, by all appearances, is charting for a more serious tone. Will Rogue One be the diamond in the rough? Or will it get mired in melodrama and become the pariah of the Star Wars movies?

Edited by sketchley

Even TIE Fighter has an opening crawl, albeit with different music.

Darn those rebel terrorists!

Freakin' TIE Fighter. Still the best Star Wars game to me. Serious balls in making a game where it's all about you playing the badguys and see things from a different perspective.

"For the greater glory of the Empire, destroy everything!"

I'm not to into Star Trek although I did watch ds9 and I was never very entertained by it, so if new bsg was something to compare to that I guess I didn't miss much.

I did love red dwarf and all its goofy characters. As far as more serious scifi shows I did enjoy Babylon 5( I think it was 5 it's been a while).

Freakin' TIE Fighter. Still the best Star Wars game to me. Serious balls in making a game where it's all about you playing the badguys and see things from a different perspective.

"For the greater glory of the Empire, destroy everything!"

Not EVERYTHING, just the terrorists.

I honestly don't care if the main characters in the new star wars movies are male or female, as long as we don't get a goofy reboot where all the characters get a gender swap. I never did watch the new battle star galactica due to the female starbuck and probably never will....

Do yourself a favor and eat a healthy diet, exercise, smile more and also watch the new(er) BSG; I guarantee that you will see the original is laughable in comparison. There are no boots and capes or post disco era hairdos in the reboot, so brace yourself for that...

Wow, not watching BSG because of that? Because all the characters have 10x more characterization that the originals. You're really, really missing out. If you like sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to not miss the best series of all. (Yup, better than DS9)

True Damn Story!

Anyways.....enough of BSG.

Regarding the article, does the author know...

JEJ doesn't need to fly out anywhere. Voice overs only need 1 assistant director or just the director, a sound tech and the voice in any studio to record the lines. They could have done it already.

I think an opening crawl would be fine, even for a movie going for a different style and setting a different tone than the more mythic trilogy films of the series. The opening crawl is a good bookend for any Star Wars story. Though I certainly won't belittle the filmmakers if they decide to do something else. Whatever works the best for the film is ultimately more important than my unhealthy nerd tendencies to demand strict adherence to form.

As for critics complaining about female leads, I never thought I'd hear myself say this but thank gawd for millennials. I'm actually thankful millennials have replaced my embarassing generation as the primary pop culture demographic, as they won't tolerate sexism anymore. You will never find a more irrational hive of insecure scum and emotional villainy as generation X "men" (more like ex-men) complaining "their" pop culture is giving way to racial minorities, gays and women :rolleyes:

I think an opening crawl would be fine, even for a movie going for a different style and setting a different tone than the more mythic trilogy films of the series. The opening crawl is a good bookend for any Star Wars story. Though I certainly won't belittle the filmmakers if they decide to do something else. Whatever works the best for the film is ultimately more important than my unhealthy nerd tendencies to demand strict adherence to form.

As for critics complaining about female leads, I never thought I'd hear myself say this but thank gawd for millennials. I'm actually thankful millennials have replaced my embarassing generation as the primary pop culture demographic, as they won't tolerate sexism anymore. You will never find a more irrational hive of insecure scum and emotional villainy as generation X "men" (more like ex-men) complaining "their" pop culture is giving way to racial minorities, gays and women :rolleyes:

Quoted for two-truths.

Although I'm a Gen X'er too, I never really thought it was my generation, honestly I never really thought about if those tendencies as generational but more about upbringing, education and environment - all things that impact people of any age range.

Interesting (to me at least) but way off topic so I apologize for that.

And to be clear, I'm not opposed to a "crawl" but I think it'd be awesome if said crawl was done in a way that differentiated itself in some way from the core Star Wars films. But if not, whatever, it's really not that big of a deal.

-b.

i'm a geneation X, male...as are most of us here on this site. i've got no problem with female leads BUT i do have a problem with established characters getting a gender or race makeover just because studios are trying very hard to reach new demographics. like female ghostbusters? DO SOMETHING ORIGINAL! rey? jyn erso? fine...its a new story, new lead, its a female...no big deal, but if they do lik ea back ot the future reboot and marty mecause..marilyn mcfly...yeah thats not gonna fly. female thor? ok with me....because there is a story that makes sense behind that. its just the replace the old character iwth a feamle version i have beef with. i suppose its the "originalist" in me. prime is always a red flatnose truck not a monkey!!

i've got no problem with female leads BUT i do have a problem with established characters getting a gender or race makeover just because studios are trying very hard to reach new demographics. like female ghostbusters? DO SOMETHING ORIGINAL! rey? jyn erso? fine...its a new story, new lead, its a female...no big deal, but if they do lik ea back ot the future reboot and marty mecause..marilyn mcfly...yeah thats not gonna fly. female thor? ok with me....because there is a story that makes sense behind that. its just the replace the old character iwth a feamle version i have beef with. i suppose its the "originalist" in me. prime is always a red flatnose truck not a monkey!!

This I agree with. Rey? That's fine. (Though, the way Jar Jar Abrams did it, AHH HELLZ NO). Jyn Erso? No prob. Oh, lets reboot and make Leia the powerful Jedi this time. Wait, WTF? Change for change's sake does not always result in progress.

*snip*established characters getting a gender or race makeover just because studios are trying very hard to reach new demographics.

This is the meat of the issue. Racism and sexism are so rampant(or even commonplace) that these out of touch studios, execs and even some writers think a race or gender swap are "end of discussion" when it comes to solving the problem. Neckbeards being the vocal majority about "their" precious childhood being torn apart isn't helping either. Ryan Reynolds just recently said during all the Deadpool press; "women will watch these movies without a love story. Why are studios the last ones to know?" It's a great start to dialogue that gets buried under all the whining. Yes, studios also have to reach people to make money. Without that money they aren't going to make more of the movies everyone likes to bitch about. Like I mentioned before, Disney is smart to push this girl as the lead, regardless of whether she is or not. They blew it with Daisy/Rey and they know it. At this point the choice between a bunch of men bitching about a female lead being "forced" down their throats or the backlash from not showing enough of that female lead is pretty simple.

The whole thing is a stupid circlejerk that ISN'T going to be solved with pissing and moaning about a female lead or a token black character(or in Ghostbusters....ouch, both) nor is having it in this thread about a movie no one's even seen yet.

Quoted for two-truths.

Although I'm a Gen X'er too, I never really thought it was my generation, honestly I never really thought about if those tendencies as generational but more about upbringing, education and environment - all things that impact people of any age range.

Interesting (to me at least) but way off topic so I apologize for that.

And to be clear, I'm not opposed to a "crawl" but I think it'd be awesome if said crawl was done in a way that differentiated itself in some way from the core Star Wars films. But if not, whatever, it's really not that big of a deal.

-b.

To an extent these attitudes are generational, but we're not bound by that and shouldn't feel like we are. I am not and when I was I put the effort in to change. I don't think I ever looked at the cultural value of the next generation or the hope they can bring until moments like this come along. Nonetheless, it is an unfortunate reality that some people from every generation will simply refuse to adapt. It seems at odds with nature itself. But like Morpheus says in The Matrix; "You have to understand that many of these people are not yet ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it" :(

Regarding the crawl; it actually makes me think; could there be a way to do a variation on the crawl for the non-trilogy films? Perhaps even just a change in the music could have a really profound affect on how the audience views the Rogue One film. I hope the creators behind this film at least had those conversations.

i'm a geneation X, male...as are most of us here on this site. i've got no problem with female leads BUT i do have a problem with established characters getting a gender or race makeover just because studios are trying very hard to reach new demographics. like female ghostbusters? DO SOMETHING ORIGINAL! rey? jyn erso? fine...its a new story, new lead, its a female...no big deal, but if they do lik ea back ot the future reboot and marty mecause..marilyn mcfly...yeah thats not gonna fly. female thor? ok with me....because there is a story that makes sense behind that. its just the replace the old character iwth a feamle version i have beef with. i suppose its the "originalist" in me. prime is always a red flatnose truck not a monkey!!

I am gen X as well, and I know this board's demographics only TOO well. The whole point is that it's not supposed to matter. And if we as a culture must "suffer a trend" for a decade for there to be real, effective representation, that is a small price to pay for something that benefits so many. It's like I said in my defense of the characterizations and violence that so many unfairly maligned in Batman v Superman; creativity is independent from quality. Creativity doesn't happen only with the caveat that it must be GOOD. Creativity is as is, it's worked into something and hopefully refined into quality. A failed product doesn't mean all of it's ideas or results are failures, just a failure of implementation.

Rogue One is still an ensemble piece. I wonder if there will be any backlash from the uninformed when she turns out to not be the main character the teaser made her out to be.

Well I'll be mildly disappointed. I rather like the idea of Felicity Jones as the main protagonist.

-b.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One month of reshoots has been scheduled for July after the first cut was screened. The general consensus seems to be that it didn't strike the right tone; in other words, it wasn't Star Warsy enough.

One month of reshoots has been scheduled for July after the first cut was screened. The general consensus seems to be that it didn't strike the right tone; in other words, it wasn't Star Warsy enough.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if it will include more Vader. A lot of people are expecting/hoping to see some good Vader scenes, showing how terrifying he was, but if it turns out to just be a cameo, it could be very disappointing. Maybe a part akin to Spider-Man in Civil War.

Chris

I hope this isn't a bad sign. I want this movie to be awesome.

Where did you hear this report?