Did the ADV release come with different line notes and are they as accurate?

I don't recall if the ADV Films dub release of Macross had notes included on the DVDs themselves, but it didn't come with any liner notes as print media.

I don't recall if the ADV Films dub release of Macross had notes included on the DVDs themselves, but it didn't come with any liner notes as print media.

I don't recall either (I bought one disc, was appalled by the dub and never bought another), but the AE liner notes are the property of AE as they spent the money to translate them. Neither HG or ADV could claim something that was not in the original HG library..

Edited by Zinjo

Yes the ADV release of Macross had liner notes on the DVDs as part of the extras. Some of them were the same as those on the Animeigo release.

Quick question:

Was Misa Hayase's mother of a descent other than Japanese? I know her father was Japanese, but I always wonder where she got her light brown hair from.

I don't remember seeing an answer to this in Gubaba's translation of White Reminiscenses, but it's possible I missed it.

Edited by Robowang

Was Misa Hayase's mother of a descent other than Japanese? I know her father was Japanese, but I always wonder where she got her light brown hair from.

I don't remember seeing an answer to this in Gubaba's translation of White Reminiscenses, but it's possible I missed it.

Hrm... as far as I'm aware, Misa's mother's ethnicity hasn't been specifically identified. All we have is her name (Sakiko Hayase), which seems like a fair indicator that she's Japanese when coupled with her residence being listed as Japan (and Australia).

I'm going to assume that Misa's hair color is just following the normal anime trend of not actually meaning anything. Just look at how many fully Japanese characters in other anime sport blond, or any other color other than very dark brown or black.

We'd have some baffling questions about Max's ethnicity otherwise.

Well, we know humanity and zentradi share a LOT of genes, so maybe the blue hair gene is just SUPER recessive!

Or he grew up in a nuclear waste storage facility.

Well, we know humanity and zentradi share a LOT of genes, so maybe the blue hair gene is just SUPER recessive!

Or he grew up in a nuclear waste storage facility.

Maybe SPACY just has very laxe policies regarding the use of hair coloring products. And amongst the supplies the SDF-1 salvaged after folding out to Pluto were a few cargo containers full of blue hair dye.

What if Max is himself half-Zentraedi, and he's a space wizard from the future, traveling backwards through time like Merlin? That would explain his uncanny skills and why he didnr't look any older in M7!

I'm pretty sure that's canon!

I'm going to assume that Misa's hair color is just following the normal anime trend of not actually meaning anything. Just look at how many fully Japanese characters in other anime sport blond, or any other color other than very dark brown or black.

Probably for the best... just look at Max. His hair's blue for the sake of a blatant aviation in-joke.

Do you think they were really making the Immelman / "Pour le Merite" reference? I always assumed that was a coincidence.

Everything about the man is blue, from his hair, to his uniform, to his car, to his plane, and he's is European... an aviation buff like Kawamori putting something like that in by accident? Not likely... especially in a series that already has more aviation in-jokes than one can readily shake a stick at.

Quick question:

Her light brown hair came from a bottle ;)

What if Max is himself half-Zentraedi, and he's a space wizard from the future, traveling backwards through time like Merlin? That would explain his uncanny skills and why he didnr't look any older in M7!

If you spend most of your time in space you don't age like people on planets do, as you are not exposed to as much solar radiation as planetary folks. ST:TNG alluded to this with the captain being in his 60's yet looking about 10 years younger.

Did either of the ADV or Animeigo releases come with synopses as in short summaries of each episode? Not the background behind production of each episodes like in the liner notes.

The ADV set didn't... it didn't even give episode titles, just two screenshots from each episode and the episode number. Animeigo didn't really give synopses either, unless you count the occasional staff commentary on aspects of an episode's story.

• 2 weeks later...

DYRL ending: original theatrical vs later post Flashback 2012 release.

I know the Angel's colors concert video during the credits is "new", but is the "Silent forgiveness" scene between Minmay and Misa "new" also?
(Minmay relaxes, turns around, hold up Misa's translation, Misa smiles and makes "Oh no no, you," motion and bows a tiny bit, Minmay smiles ect)

Did the original movie just end after the statement of hope about one song bringing all this change from Britai?

Regarding Zentradi character names, why do some characters have alternate spellings?

Is it Britai Kridanik or Vrlitwhai Kridanik?

Is it Quamzin Kravshera or Kamjin Kravshera?

The normal, sane-looking romanizations are, well, normal and sane romanizations of the japanese.

The crazy ones with too many consonants are the official romanizations, which were intentionally done crazy because they're alien names and SHOULDN'T look normal.

The normal, sane-looking romanizations are, well, normal and sane romanizations of the japanese.

The crazy ones with too many consonants are the official romanizations, which were intentionally done crazy because they're alien names and SHOULDN'T look normal.

I've always described them as:

the more easily readable ones that sound like how they're said in the anime: romanizations of Japanese

the crazy ones that look and sound nothing like how they're said in the anime: romanizations of Zentraadi by a Japanese speaker who has no idea about the proper readings of roman letters (whatever Romance Language you use) who knew that no one would use them on a regular basis (he must be getting a good laugh, given how some of the foreign fans insist on using those names!)

The normal, sane-looking romanizations are, well, normal and sane romanizations of the japanese.The crazy ones with too many consonants are the official romanizations, which were intentionally done crazy because they're alien names and SHOULDN'T look normal.

But both spellings are more or less official?

Kaldar5:

The silent forgiveness scene is theere. The original cut of the movie ends after Misa's monologue and Minmay's "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2..." count, as the spotlight dims on her. Then the credits roll. Everything after that scene in later cuts is new.

Edited by Renato

Maybe SPACY just has very laxe policies regarding the use of hair coloring products.

That was the approach taken in the Robotech novels (dyed blue hair)... though it seems more likely that Mikamoto just wanted to establish him as someone special, without worrying about such trivial details as "why". (I mean that sarcastically... of course the fans wanna know why! lol)

Edited by Skull Leader

Help, someone I know bought the Chogokin of this variable fighter and it has the Macross Frontier logo but I never seen it in Macross Frontier! Does anyone know where it is from?

Upper right corner says it: Macross Fronter Theatrical movie ~ Itsuwari no Hime

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10264916

Our thread on the toy: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40713

Help, someone I know bought the Chogokin of this variable fighter and it has the Macross Frontier logo but I never seen it in Macross Frontier! Does anyone know where it is from?

Well... the YF-25 Prophecy first "appeared" in Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime, though IIRC the YF-25 only showed up in the two Macross Frontier movies as background filler. It showed up in the first movie as a toy in the background in one of those promotional gigs Ranka did early in her career, and once later on in an establishing shot in the Macross Quarter's hangar.

The serialized novel-slash-Macross Frontier prequel/side-story Macross the Ride and the Macross 30 video game turned the YF-25 into a main character mecha... being one of Chelsea Scarlett's "mid-season upgrade" mecha in Ride (in those colors) and Leon Sakaki's starter mecha in 30 (in a teal color).

(Leon's version is sort-of visible in the attached picture... it's the one to the right of Michel Blanc's VF-25G.)

post-2536-0-86457000-1409009102_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Ooh, I see a YF-24 in there too. Where might I find more photos of these?

Alas, that's no YF-24 in there... it's actually a custom VF-25 captioned "VF-25 Messiah Valkyrie / Legacy". 's just a VF-25F with a cropped delta wing.

EDIT: A lot of those craft there are Master File squadrons or variants out of Macross the Ride, the VF-25S to the right of the Messiah Legacy is a VF-25S from the SVF-440 Dullahans (a squad out of the VF-25 Master File), and you can see the VF-19ACTIVE Nothung, Paladin Prophecy, VF-11B Nothung II, and VF-4SL Lightning in those as well.

post-2536-0-19492100-1409061097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seto Kaiba