The VF-1 Valkyrie in the foreground may not necessarily be an "S" type variant. Remember, they are "Kakizaki type" and "Max type" VF-1A's, which are almost entirely white on the top side of the fighter mode.

Don't have any information about brown squadron. HD screen captures don't show much, but seem to support the assumption that they are all "A" variants of the VF-1. Pics attached.

post-114-0-61476700-1440786528_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-27234800-1440786560_thumb.jpg

did you say star wars?

I love that guy's transformers reviews. I generally hate transformers toys, since they often require a lot of imagination to accept (Masterpiece toys are the exception since they actually try to make a toy that looks right).

I love that guy's transformers reviews. I generally hate transformers toys, since they often require a lot of imagination to accept (Masterpiece toys are the exception since they actually try to make a toy that looks right).

Transformers aren't designed to be a vehicle that has a robot mode though. They're robots who can assume a vehicle like form. Its a different philosophy to a Valk or something similar.

Transformers aren't designed to be a vehicle that has a robot mode though. They're robots who can assume a vehicle like form. Its a different philosophy to a Valk or something similar.

They're robots in disguise. I mean it says so in the song.

One should therefore expect a decent vehicle mode, but... often it doesn't show up.

The VF-1 Valkyrie in the foreground may not necessarily be an "S" type variant. Remember, they are "Kakizaki type" and "Max type" VF-1A's, which are almost entirely white on the top side of the fighter mode.

Don't have any information about brown squadron. HD screen captures don't show much, but seem to support the assumption that they are all "A" variants of the VF-1. Pics attached.

There's a shot in that episode of Roy in his VF-1S flying with CF VF-1A. The VF-1A seem to have a black skull & crossbones on the tail, but I've never seen a clear shot.

Anyone help?

No problem. I needed a short break from coloring (just finished up the newly revised art for the Gol Boddole Zer Class Mobile Fortress...so purty :wub: ) so a little Macross was fun. I really got into the series again. Might be time for an entire rewatch. It's been a few years :)

The blu-rays are awesome. It's definitely the best SDF Macross can ever look.

• 2 weeks later...

"Variable" (Fighter/Attacker/Bomber/Vehicle/Glaug) is the only consistent designation I've read for transformable vehicles as written in the trivia. They do use the term "transform/tranforming" in the official literature, but I don't think in any official capacity as a designated technology, only to describe the process of converting form one mode to another.

Is there an official term for what transforming mecha are called, not just the Variable Fighters but Variable Glaug and the König Monster (Variable Bomber).

I've seen "Variable Armor", "Variable Mecha" and "Variable Vehicle" used.

If not what would be the best term?

Variable Vehicle is the cover-all/catch-all term. Everything else (sans Variable Mecha) is a specialized variation.

What anime fans term "mecha" is defined in-universe as "Mobile Weapon" for some powers (i.e.: the Zentraadi), "Valkyrie" (for the Variable Vehicles), or Destroid.

Sadly I'm not able to make out what it is, so I can't tell if it's a Skull and Crossbones emblem or something else.

It suspiciously resembles to SMS Skull team logo to me...

What episode and time stamp are we looking at? I have the BD's so I can look to see if there is anything better.

Edited by Zinjo

Variable Vehicle is the cover-all/catch-all term. Everything else (sans Variable Mecha) is a specialized variation.

What anime fans term "mecha" is defined in-universe as "Mobile Weapon" for some powers (i.e.: the Zentraadi), "Valkyrie" (for the Variable Vehicles), or Destroid.

I use "Variable Vehicle" most of the time. But where does the Neo Glaug fit in? It can transform, but I am having trouble deciding if it fits into the category of vehicle since it does not have a pilot. "Variable Mecha" is uncommon and I don't want to invent yet another fan term like "Variable Craft", so I am wondering if there has ever been term to describe all transforming mecha mentioned in dialog, if not I'll settle on "Variable Vehicle". Edited by Primus1X

Zinjwitter

I'm using 720p because it saves space, so maybe the 1080 has finer detail. It's Episode 2, but sadly I don't have a time stamp anymore. It's during the sequence when Roy is returning from battle, so it's at least a third of the way into the episode.

Primus1X

Just go with Variable Vehicle. I think you're putting more thought into it than the original writers, so there's no need to worry about getting the name right because they weren't worried ;)

I think you'll find that many of the "designations" they use in the official Macross trivia are specifically vague because they are needed to describe a large number of different vehicles. Often terms like "Variable Vehicle" or "Mobile Weapon" are used to describe any vehicle that isn't easily categorized with a conventional designation. When terms like "Fighter", "Tank", "Shuttle" and the like don't accurately describe what the vehicle is, they use "Variable Whatever" or "Mobile Weapon" to describe it.

If you want to be specific, the next update to my website has a list of the variable types I've managed to note. I'll post it here for your reference:

Variable Armor

Variable Attacker

Variable Attack Craft

Variable Bomber

Variable Device

Variable Electronics Warfare Craft

Variable Fighter-Developmental

Variable Glaug

Variable Patroid

Variable Trainer

Edited by Mr March

Does Wave still make the 1/100 VF-1S Roy Fokker battroid kit? Seems to be out of stock everywhere. Did they just settle on making people buy the Super Battroid kit instead?

I think you meant to put this in the toy newbie and FAQ thread.

Yeah, I've seen that listing but another mandarake order is probably not healthy for me wallet.

I've been contemplating getting the 1/100 VF-1S Fokker battroid to go with the already built VF-0S one, so that's why I went looking through the usual places first and found it weird that it's listed as discontinued or long sold out. It's a shame if that's really Wave's way of doing things.