Macross DYRL: Proper English Fandub

Hikuro

I'm a little bit of #2 and #4 I can't act and I choose not to for the sake of others.

Maybe, you can send an email to that youtube Macross Zero guy? Ask him if he would like to team up for future Macross dub projects (Frontier or M7) and send him a sample of your M 0 ep1 dub samples. That might put him off of working on his own M zero dub and trying something else or he could be of help.

Macross ep 2 almost done?!

That's great!

So, if you're redoing the voice work for M 0 episode 1, then I would like an audio copy, please.

Well tell ya what. I've never tried it, but if you need some filler voices, I can give it a shot. The one thing I know I can pull off flawlessly are vocals requiring military jargon. I'm military and have been for over 8 years now, so you could say talking in military jargon comes natural to me at this point. :lol:

Besides, I wouldn't mind contributing seeing as I've been a Macross fanatic for going on 14 years now.

The only MAJOR question I have is what are you using for recording? Typically, computer microphones are God awful in sound quality.

Can't say I've ever done Voice Acting, but given the fact that I've had multiple public speaking courses and have given several briefings (military) to groups of 300+ people without a problem, I don't imagine it could be too different.

Anyhow, I'm open to your thoughts. If you want, just shoot me a private message.

Edited by Starscream

Well tell ya what. I've never tried it, but if you need some filler voices, I can give it a shot. The one thing I know I can pull off flawlessly are vocals requiring military jargon. I'm military and have been for over 8 years now, so you could say talking in military jargon comes natural to me at this point. laugh.gif

Besides, I wouldn't mind contributing seeing as I've been a Macross fanatic for going on 14 years now.

The only MAJOR question I have is what are you using for recording? Typically, computer microphones are God awful in sound quality.

Can't say I've ever done Voice Acting, but given the fact that I've had multiple public speaking courses and have given several briefings (military) to groups of 300+ people without a problem, I don't imagine it could be too different.

Anyhow, I'm open to your thoughts. If you want, just shoot me a private message.

Greatly appreciative. The only thing I think I need is a Captain Global. The guy who was playing him since the start of the project years ago has vanished.

I did myself over 90 lines for the film, Hikaru and some Zentradi. I also handed out script and video for the PS1/Saturn intro movies to get finished.

If I get ONE more person later this week to finish his lines, I will have the infamous "HIKARU YOU DOLT! YOU DIDN'T BANG THE IDOL!" scene completed.

So far that's coming out rather funny and much like the original.

Greatly appreciative. The only thing I think I need is a Captain Global. The guy who was playing him since the start of the project years ago has vanished.

I did myself over 90 lines for the film, Hikaru and some Zentradi. I also handed out script and video for the PS1/Saturn intro movies to get finished.

If I get ONE more person later this week to finish his lines, I will have the infamous "HIKARU YOU DOLT! YOU DIDN'T BANG THE IDOL!" scene completed.

So far that's coming out rather funny and much like the original.

Tell ya what. Shoot me over part of the Captain Global scripting. I'll give it a shot but it might be a few days since I'm heading out on a business trip tomorrow evening. I should have internet while I'm gone, though, so I think I can whip something up and get it back to you in a reasonable time to see if you like the results or not. Also, if you have any of the soundbites from the previous person, those might come in handy as well. I MIGHT be able to match the voice, but no promises.

I'll see what I can cook up tonight when I get home. He doesn't have much of an appearance in the start, like.......3 seconds , 1 line. It's the second half that will count as he's got numerous appearances then.

I'm gonna start posting up teasers and such here and on the first page for now on....so if anyone wants big viewable updates, c heck that out.

I've got the Barscene up on youtube, it's missing 2 VA's and a gasp, but it's 95% done. I'll have the link up later.

I'll see what I can cook up tonight when I get home. He doesn't have much of an appearance in the start, like.......3 seconds , 1 line. It's the second half that will count as he's got numerous appearances then.

Indeed. And most important (IMHO), Captain Global's voice should conduct a very strong assertive sense. He's a veteran ship commander. He can't sound like a bishi. :lol:

Agreed, he has a very unique human composure about himself making him very assertive in his decisions and a capable captain. But also serves as the world leader since he was the highest commanding officer left.

next to that is bodolza, but manipulative and unforgiving. The guy I got playing him has a good sound for the role. Maybe Ill show off a soundbyte. We vfx'ed his voice so he sounds commanding and everywhere but still, just a head in a jar.

I love Roy's voice; he sounds like how he should be: a complete drunken letch. I can't wait until you complete the scene with Claudia and the waiter's voices.

Yes, Lionel's good at that. His voice has really changed for Roy since I've had him do his first appearance in the DYRL video game intro 3 years ago.

Also, I just posted on the first page another teaser. I need to talk with my Exadore VA and help guide him on the Zentraedi speak a little more, I told him to watch 3 things, "micron" "Yahk Decultcha" and "Cultcha".....he didn't really pass XD but I thought I'd post it up.

• 2 weeks later...

New clip up, "You Call Yourself A Man?!" which should be fairly easy to figure out. I had some trouble editing the clip's lines...some I've had some actors redo their parts so they sound better and not so cut out...so it's being reworked. Still though, it's coming out fine.

Good update for the movie. Claudia and Global lines are complete (shock!) so that leaves.....mmmmmm a few extras, kaifun, miriya, kakizaki, exadore, badolza and minmay nd part 1 is complete.

In the meantime I've been busting my sack on other projects.

Soon will be posting on those projects.

Good update for the movie. Claudia and Global lines are complete (shock!) so that leaves.....mmmmmm a few extras, kaifun, miriya, kakizaki, exadore, badolza and minmay nd part 1 is complete.

In the meantime I've been busting my sack on other projects.

Soon will be posting on those projects.

Right on! THANKS for the updates. So far this seems to be going brilliantly! GREAT JOB!

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

WELL, just went back to production hell -_-..........my VA for misa has departed.....she's going to have a baby soon and will not be able too partake in the project of DYRL or Macross Zero and is going into retirement.

Can't believe it's taken six months to get this far in the first half.......and so many years of production to get it rolling and this.......................I swear there's a curse.

Good job. Just went through all teasers.

I'm in the last few episodes of the Macross TV series*... and watching those DYRL clips just sends chills through my spine. Especially the intro.

When is the completion date if you don't mind me asking...

(* Robotech version. lol)

Well, I'm having alot of set backs, and I'm in talks with a new Misa VA who is doing Claudia and Miriya, so I'll have to find some new VA's for those two roles.

Not too mention I might have to kick another VA to the curb cause he hasn't sent me anything in nearly a month.

The original release was to go with the aniversary date of DYRL's theatrical release....but that's not going to happen. I still got an hour of footage to reproduce, and script editing, and then the VA's have to get in gear.

I'm going to shoot for a fall or winter release....maybe as late as November.

So my new Misa already did close to a dozen lines returned, and she promises she'll finish the other 70 by tomorrow morning (shock!)....I've already contacted everyone who owes me lines that needs to get off their butts :p

With any luck.......this wont be too long.

I dunno if I'd say it's a Christmas Miracle in the summer XD but it is helpful when you can get a group of people together and motivated enough to do their lines.

I've got alot of promises from cast members who are falling behind to do their lines this week. Out of those...no offense to them I'll probably see 1 or none of them do that.

And so far adding in what I can for my new Misa VA into the movie, she's doing well. She's sent me several variations of each line for the first half of the film. Right now one of my favorite scenes is when she chews Hikaru's ass off for disobeying earlier in the film.

I can garuntee one thing, fine tuning of this film is gonna be a bitch...there's alot of stuff I go over and think "Shoot....I should of used this instead" or "Up the volume track a bit here.." Which I'll hopefully sit down and have the time for shortly.

Okay, so i posted the very last clip I'm going to tease people with until the first half is done. Then I'll just start teasing away with the second half unti lthat's complete.

I'm currently right now getting the HD remastered version...I'm hopping my audio which is modeled after watching a 29fps movie will sync alright with a 24fps.....I'm hoping.

So as of this morning, all of the old vocal tracks of replaced VA's have been switched out with the new ones. Some people I'm still waiting on but they're mostly bit roles and minmay. However my Minmay va does have a rather busy life and since she's pretty good at what she does I'm cutting her some slack :p hope she doesn't read tihs.

I would say 80-89% of the first half is now complete. It's actually looking REALLY good, I'm very surprised on how real in terms of goals in my life this is turning out.

This really motivates me to finish the movie after having nearly the entire first half of this film completed.

Just to get an idea of what I'm dealing with, here is a rather nice comparison of the old Footage I was using to the now HD which made me go "Oh yeah, no brainer there."

I also got the fp/s to match what I'm currently using, quality is still good and I'm excited to be using this for the project.

post-600-1214787908_thumb.jpg

Just to get an idea of what I'm dealing with, here is a rather nice comparison of the old Footage I was using to the now HD which made me go "Oh yeah, no brainer there."

I also got the fp/s to match what I'm currently using, quality is still good and I'm excited to be using this for the project.

Whoa. That difference is incredible. The SD version is crawling with artifacts, and suddenly there's a whole other level detail available in the HD. It reminds me of when Akira first made the jump to DVD, remastered. Though I missed the old "Just when my coils were hitting the green line" dub, I was amazed at how much detail I had never seen before.

I'm even more excited for your dub now. By the way, I really dug the Minmay/Hikaru scene you posted recently.

Thanks ,I'm getting alot of good complements on some of these clip which is great...it helps the motivation for a 2 hour movie.

On to other matters, I am having trouble sinking the new HD video to my audio tracks......it will at first, then later on it just goes WAY out to left field and will move to fast for the video....I think I'm gonna have to work on this a lil more.

Thanks ,I'm getting alot of good complements on some of these clip which is great...it helps the motivation for a 2 hour movie.

On to other matters, I am having trouble sinking the new HD video to my audio tracks......it will at first, then later on it just goes WAY out to left field and will move to fast for the video....I think I'm gonna have to work on this a lil more.

Out of curiosity, what software are you using? And what codec/format etc is the new video in?

Well for the HD footage it was in MKV and I used VirtualDubMod to render it as a 29.97fp/s (cause that's how the old footage was set) AVI format under a direct stream copy...that way it wasn't 60 gigs (Yeah it got up to 60 gigs and killed my hardrive).

For mixing I use Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Audicity, and Cooledit Pro2.0.

Okay, I made some corrections to the HD file, I didn't have a synced audio track so basically the lazy way I went about it was rip the video and audio of the HD movie seperately then merged them as a WMV then spent like 10 minutes trying to perfectly sync my Dub mix to the original audio so I had a proper time outlay, then snipped a few seconds that were lagging so it's pretty tight right now for 48 minutes of footage.

My vacation is coming up next week, my plan which I'm HOPING to do, is completely finish the entire movie's audio tracks before the vocals. I'm already 75-80% complete with 20 minutes of the second half of the film, so that leaves me with 48 minutes of footage left....which will all have to be mixed as one piece cause it doesn't cut off right....half of it will be VERY simple, the other half will be difficult as it's 20 minutes of fighting.

If I can do that, I can just sit back and wait for the vocals while I work on other things....so 4 day weekend next week, pretty much spending it from when I wake up to when I go to sleep of just mixing with very lil breaks inbetween unless I hit some sort of a snag.