The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Got the Blu-ray steelbook today. Case is gorgeous, but I wish they'd have put a booklet or something in there with a list of which extras are on which disc. Speaking of extras, I'm slightly disappointed that there are actually fewer extras than the 20th anniversary DVD (no Scramble City).

Just like the 20th anniversary DVD, the Blu-ray (at least the steelbook) has one disc with the cropped widescreen version and one disc with the 4:3 version. Haven't watched it myself, but the reviews are saying that the video quality is MUCH better than the DVD (although a draw between it and the UK Blu-ray).

something I noticed I'd have to double check but I think the back of the case stated that the film was presented in widescreen but it's traditional letterbox 4:3.

After watching the restoration video I have some new found respect for doing what they did with changing the color palette back and keeping things darker in contrast, but I don't really like it all that much. I think I much prefer the tones and contrast of the DVD so it's a little brighter.

The extras, yeah I'm a little disappointed myself, I mean 30th anniversary come on, you could get Peter Cullen, Frank Welker etc etc to talk a bit or something. Maybe we'll get something cool 20 more years from now, I don't know.

I really enjoyed the restored video. Both versions remind me so much of other animated films from the 1980s, and the restoration work was done well. I only noticed one soft scene: Hot Rod and Daniel's introduction at the lake. If there were any others, I missed them. Nothing seemed over saturated or excessively sharp. I also didn't notice any ringing or banding in the image.

blu-ray.com has a more detailed review with nice screenshots posted here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Transformers-The-Movie-Blu-ray/157482/

The screenshots are pretty close to what I see on my television.

Jeez, how many repaints are they going to do? At least this one makes sense within one of the TF continuities; Evangelion Prime was a pure money grab.

Hoping more info is forthcoming concerning that pic of an alleged V2 MP Megatron. Along with a new Megs, I'd love to see a new improved MP seeker mold, hopefully with the tops of the chest intakes sitting at about chin level, as they should.

HaHaHa...Optimus Prime is about as ubiquitous as Bumblebee or the VF-1, I'm not surprised they are testing the waters with him. ;) But I'll say it again (because it's worth doing), I would like to see them do more with Shattered Glass than they did with the Evangelion crossover. Some characters will be easy repaints like SoundWave, but imagine if they went all out and gave us a decent sculpt of mirror-verse Megatron in his Cybertronian Jet mode!

And another thing, since a certain minbot plays a big role both in G1 and Shattered Glass, what if they're also hinting at a possible MP Cliffjumper?

Edited by technoblue

So, while I've collected all of the Titans Return Deluxes (and have yet to see any Voyagers or Leaders), I've been avoiding the Legends and the Titan Masters. The Legends just seem like a step backward from better recent stuff, like the Insecticons, Cosmos, and Powerglide. As for the Titan Masters... a vendor wound up tossing Loudmouth in one of my orders that had been delayed. The idea of having extra interchangable heads is kind of cool (especially if you have a kid that loses a head, it's nice to be able to just buy another one), but the gimmick is that they come with a triple-changing accessory- a mode for the Titan Master to drive, a mode for the Titan Master to integrate with, and weapon mode for other TR figures to use. Loudmouth's accessory, and I assume this to be true for most of the Titan Masters, sucks. A little hovercar he can drive? Ok. But the tank mode that he's supposed to integrate with is terrible, and the weapon mode is equally terrible. So I was ready to write off the whole size class as not worth the money. Besides, I'm miffed that most of the Titan Masters are characters who aren't getting a proper Deluxe treatment.

On a whim today I picked up Crashbash and Apeface, though, and they're both actually pretty nice. They still suck as weapons, but both of their other modes are pretty good. Apeface doesn't have a lot of articulation, but he looks like a fairly decent ape with a backpack that the Titan Master rides in. His jet mode is very simple, but it's like a chibi version of his G1 toy's jet mode, and the Titan Master's integration fills out the fuselage. As for Crashbash, he's like a little dragon thingy, again with a backpack for the Titan Master to ride in. His other mode is a Tyrannosaurus, and it's pretty clever. The dragon wings make the Tyrannosaurus' chest, but it leave's gaps so the Titan Master's arms become the Tyrannosaurus' arms, and his legs become its lower jaw.

I wound up picking up Horri-Bull, too. He's more along the lines of Loudmouth; ok tank mode, crappy jet and weapon modes. But it's ok, because to me they're not Squeezeplay and Horri-Bull (who would be their US G1 selves, in my head-canon). Since I just finished watching Masterforce I think of them as Cancer and Bullhorn, and they drive those little accessories because they're not really Transformers. Now I'm oddly looking forward to Fangry so I can have Wilder, too. I'm afraid to fix Loudmouth into Goshooter, though, because then I'll have to look for Cab and Minverva.

I picked up blaster the other day for $40. Not because I was planning to but because it's unusual to get a leader class in town. It's always just deluxes and the really small ones. There was only one left and I figured I should buy it since I won't probably ever see it again or power master prime. The one I really want but I'll probably never see in a store here.

having simple fun messing with Combiner Wars Superion-G2...

regular G2:
http://i.imgur.com/rFgv46dl.jpg
rFgv46dl.jpg

alternate-1:
http://i.imgur.com/aPpbPwzl.jpg
aPpbPwzl.jpg

alternate-2 ("Red Superion-G2"):
http://i.imgur.com/5wyzvjZl.jpg
5wyzvjZl.jpg

got them other torsos during hasbrotoyshop firesale, so why not?

need moar CW/UW gestalts, maybe...

:p

:touche:

:bump:

Edited by treatment

I just picked up Titan Masters Blurr and it's a welcome little toy. I'm not the greatest collector, and I've only got a few MPs and some Generations stuff, and Blurr is a huge improvement over Generations Cyclonus. Blurr isn't nearly as hollow or weak-feeling, and has a nifty transformation that's fun without being too fiddly. I just might have to investigate Chromedome next...

I just got the Takara Legends version of Blurr, as the paint job is far superior to Hasbro's. He's both a good toy in his own right, and, finally, an excellent representation of his G1 self. I hope Has-Tak continue the Generations line for years to come, as there are still a lot of characters that need a modern update. I especially appreciate how well the recent batch of figures homage their original toys and animation models. I think they've found a perfect balance. Between TR and MP, I'm a happy collector- finally getting the toys I'd wished were in the boxes back in the 80's.

I hope Reflector, the whole Dinobot team, and the Omnibots get made into toys under the current design trend- they're all glaring omissions among my CHUG collection. A CHUG scaled Megatron that turns into a pistol would be nice, too, as well as Shockwave. The Nerf gun version just didn't cut it. An orange tipped barrel I can live with to fill the current void.

I wish they'd continued making cassette figures for the TR line instead of the 'portable devices'. It makes sense culturally for the present time, but not so much with characters who become cassette players, and Blaster's alt mode is an anachronism. I hope a MP Blaster fig is eventually in the works with his cassette minions.

• 2 weeks later...

MP-36 MASTERPIECE MEGATRON REVEALED!!!

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takara-tomy-transformers-masterpiece-mp36-megatron-revealed/36573/

It needs some cleanup but the earlier rumor images seem pretty accurate. First MP I'm on the fence about as it doesn't overall look as nice as 3rd party ones but we will see how it shapes up

Edit: upon looking at more pics and the side by side with animation photos I'm sold. I'll just leave Apollyon in alt mode

Edited by kanedaestes

Shape-wise it's great. But I must echo the many comments I've already seen about it being flat grey, and not silver. That IMHO is along the lines of making Prime's grille and bumper white----that's a technical limit of animated cel paint, not the intended color it's meant to portray. Megs is supposed to be silver. That is an aspect when slavish toon-accuracy should absolutely be ingnored.

Nice! Megs has a ton of upper body chunk and some really long legs which isn't perfect but who cares cause battle damaged details! The movie battle damaged stuff is probably enough to sell me on this thing but I will wait to see how the transformation works before I place a pre-order.

None of the MP-scaled Megatrons is perfect. New Megatron, Mightron, and Despotron all have their charms. Push came to shove, I'd probably go with Despotron, but I'll take whichever KBB makes a Voyager-sized KO of first.

Overall, I think I like Despotron more, as the clean and chunky look of the figure really appeals to me. But, I'm a sucker for official stuff, and I'll be getting this guy. Just perusing the various pics, TT went for a very unconventional transformation..notice the back of Megs' head in front of the trigger guard, and the robot's chest is a cheat; the area of the gun slide that usually forms his chest breaks up in a number of places. There's a lot of origami going on with this figure- I've been trying to sort it out, but without much success. If nothing else, I think the transformation will be interesting, and hopefully, not overdone. I'll echo the sentiments about the lack of silver overall, and red in his legs, but I like the various faces, and the battle damaged chest is a nice add-on for recreating the movie scene (except now we need a battle damaged Prime to make it accurate). Like most TF figs, it's not perfect, but still a pretty good representation of the character, and much improved over the first MP Megatron. As with all these guys, though, mileage varies.

Can the fusion cannon on MP Megs only be attached on the front of the forearm and blocking the elbow joint (like TM Galvatron)? My money goes to Despotron. Not a big fan of this one and I prefer the unconventional thinking the designer put into Despotron.

After posting, I Googled up some Despotron pics for comparison; I recant my earlier preference for Despotron over MP36. The overall proportions of TT's version are very well done and look better to me. I wish his feet were a little wider, that the small area of arm above the red section was red, too, and that he had some red in his inner legs, but on the whole, an amazing looking Megatron. Reading Scyla's post above, I have a feeling that MP36 will prove more unconventional than Despotron, as he doesn't share the G1 toy's transformation system.