Yamato VF-1_ comparisons?

McFly!!

Is the level of detail in the 1/48s much greater than that in the 1/60s?

What are your biggest reasons for picking DYRL over TV versions, or TV over DYRL?

Which versions have known structural weaknesses that we should look out for? Please identify the part and describe the issue if you can.

Which VF-1_s are you most satisfied with? I guess a better way to put what I mean is, which valk are you proudest of?

Thanks for your invaluable input!

Max's DYRL VF1S is the one I'm enjoying the most.

Are people with V2.0 VF1 [any releases] having problems with the swing bar/cockpit nose connection being somewhat...loose nowadays?

Both my Max1S and Kakizaki 1A are a bit wobbly [won't unlock, but might bulge forward depending on the pose] at the connection. I don't ever remember them doing that and they were packed away in fighter mode for close to a year, so I can't understand why this is happening.

Max's DYRL VF1S is the one I'm enjoying the most.

Are people with V2.0 VF1 [any releases] having problems with the swing bar/cockpit nose connection being somewhat...loose nowadays?

Both my Max1S and Kakizaki 1A are a bit wobbly [won't unlock, but might bulge forward depending on the pose] at the connection. I don't ever remember them doing that and they were packed away in fighter mode for close to a year, so I can't understand why this is happening.

The Max 1S only had an initial release before they fixed the crotch lock mechanism. As such it will be a bit loose. Depending on which release of the Kaki 1A you have it might be the first edition crotch lock. Is the canopy clear or tinted? That will tell you if it has the old or new locking mechanism.

Is the level of detail in the 1/48s much greater than that in the 1/60s?

What are your biggest reasons for picking DYRL over TV versions, or TV over DYRL?

Which versions have known structural weaknesses that we should look out for? Please identify the part and describe the issue if you can.

Which VF-1_s are you most satisfied with? I guess a better way to put what I mean is, which valk are you proudest of?

Thanks for your invaluable input!

Kind of a loaded topic/set of questions. I agree with Benson that you really should check out the following site as you'll find a lot of information specific to your questions;

http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

That said, to try and answer in turn;

1) Less Detail

2) Personal Preference. The VF-1's from SDFM and DYRL are identical apart from a few aesthetic differences like color, head and/or hand sculpts.

3) Early Yamato version 2 1/60 VF-1's had faulty shoulder attachments prone to breakage, lots of info on the forums and at Anymoon.

4) Personal Preference again - for me my favorite VF-1 is the SDFM Max VF-1A simply because he's my favorite character from childhood. Followed by his DYRL VF-1S and the DYRL Cannon Fodder VF-1A.

-b.

Hmmm...interesting to know.

Yes my 1S Max tends to get loose in the locking mechanism, and my 1A Kakizaki is the first version [rainbow canopy] and it's a bit looser.

So all the ones with the refined crotch mechanism do NOT have this issue present? I'd have thought that the older mechanism, while fiddlier, would be sturdier. Hmmm.

Might look into trading my two valks for a proper one then.

^No sir, not for me.

1/60 (or the approximate scale being used currently) works just fine from a playability, detail in design, display, storage and most importantly cost (although that envelope is being pushed).

I decided to sell my last (3) 1/48 and I won't look back.

-b.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't talk about how much space the boxes take up lol...

Well easy: In cms ~ 30 x 30 x 25 for Yamato, or 50 x 40 x 30 for Yamato Zero or Plus, or 35 x 25 x 20 for Bandai renewal, x number of valkyries you own. Or, every 8 boxes, it's like you got another person in the room.

As for my favorite VF-1, it's the VF-1J Mass, and the VF-1 weathering versions, perhaps Hikaru. With the weathering versions it's like they can only get better if they age and it shows :-) And with the VF-1J the stock photo below is why i spent $350 on it and i could not care less. It's gorgeous!

post-14781-0-01090600-1413972113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dimis

You know what, I really don't care a lot about CF Valk toys. But looking at this picture. I really could say that the best CF colored Valks is from SDF-1 Macross series. Simple and classy. The breaking of colors is totally awesome. ^_^

You know what, I really don't care a lot about CF Valk toys. But looking at this picture. I really could say that the best CF colored Valks is from SDF-1 Macross series. Simple and classy. The breaking of colors is totally awesome. ^_^

The thing that made it so cool to me was when I noticed they tampo'd all the markings on. They put more on VF-1J cannon fodder than any of the VF-1 v2's.

The thing that made it so cool to me was when I noticed they tampo'd all the markings on. They put more on VF-1J cannon fodder than any of the VF-1 v2's.

The TV CF VF-1A also has a lot of tampo printing, the same or arguably more (my CF VF-1J is in GBP and I'm too lazy to take it out to check).

-b.

The TV CF VF-1A also has a lot of tampo printing, the same or arguably more (my CF VF-1J is in GBP and I'm too lazy to take it out to check).

-b.

That's funny you say that. I have 2x of those but just put them in the display case with the VF-1J and guess I did not notice lol. Guess I am a bone head..

Edited by Loop

Bone head? Not at all. I'm pretty sure I echoed your exact sentiment about the CF 1J and someone corrected me here on the boards.

Here's a really good photo review that shows the TV 1A;

http://www.mech9.com/blog/2011/08/160-vf-1a-valkyrie-mass-production-version-by-yamato-toys/

Going through the Macross section of that site just now one thing really stood out to me, how often HLJ had a sale on Macross items. :unsure:

-b.