Real life Minmay attack?

Saruta

Up to now, the main thing from the Macross series to be defictionalized was, as far as I understand, Vocaloid (especially in concert - the holographic concerts were probably inspired by Macross Plus).

But now, it looks like someone is using a pop star in battle.In real life. Not sure they even watched Macross (or Robotech), but the approach seems to be the very same (though they use recordings, so is this the Macross II "Minmay attack"?).

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/29/britney-spears-navy-scare-somali-pirates

===

Britney Spears has emerged as an unlikely figurehead in the fight against Somali pirates.

According to reports, Britney's hits, including Oops! I Did It Again and Baby One More Time, are being employed by British naval officers in an attempt to scare off pirates along the east coast of Africa. Perhaps nothing else not guns, not harpoons is quite as intimidating as the sound of Ms Spears singing "Ooh baby baby!"

Merchant naval officer Rachel Owens explained the tactics to Metro: "Her songs were chosen by the security team because they thought the pirates would hate them most. These guys can't stand western culture or music, making Britney's hits perfect. As soon as the pirates get a blast of Britney, they move on as quickly as they can."

==

I can just imagine pirates angrily spitting out "deculchaa"...

Eh... not exactly an original idea even in real-world implementations. The South Koreans have been doing something similar since at least the early 2000s, blasting kpop across the DMZ using a number of large speaker systems. IIRC, the last time that made the news was back in 2010.

The Korean situation you describe, from what i could google on it, appears to be propaganda. THAT is very old (used in World War II for sure, then in the Cold War). But directly using music to scare and disorganize the enemy in a battle situation, Episode 27 style, seems to be much more rare.

And North Korea has been broadcasting propaganda songs to the south via loudspeaker for even longer.

Either way, I think the sonic weapons (LRAD) used to fight off pirates is more akin to Macross - especially the Macross 7 version. ;)

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/the-weapon-of-sound-sonic-canon-gives-pirates-an-earful-a-385048.html

Edited by sketchley

Operation Just Cause, 1989.

"Save me, Tipper! They're blasting Bon Jovi at me!!"

LOL i remember that sh*t in High School. I thought it was hillarious knowing Metallica and the like was used for 'good'... what ever became of the Fat-zit guy?

very long winded, but interesting read... it did show how rather foolish the F-117 really was, in terms of what it really could do, compared to conventional air power. i wonder how many people involved in Just Cause were around for the violence of the previous decade (or were lucky to retire before)

?

Edited by TehPW

I wonder if they specifically got this idea from Macross. Also I was wondering if Mars Attacks got the idea from Macross. And finally I wonder if macross was the first to come up with the idea of defeating an enemy with music. Any examples from pre macross?

• 10 months later...

Up to now, the main thing from the Macross series to be defictionalized was, as far as I understand, Vocaloid (especially in concert - the holographic concerts were probably inspired by Macross Plus).

As much as I love the Sharon Apple -> Vocaloid connection, I think it's probably an overstatement to say that Macross Plus inspired "holographic" concerts. The basic technology behind those concerts is actually really old, and has been used in major attractions like Disney's Haunted Mansion since the 60's. Massive light, laser, and effects shows obviously predate (and probably inspired) Sharon Apple, and the idea of a virtual idol doesn't come just from Macross Plus; William Gibson, for example, had started the Bridge Trilogy before Macross Plus was released, and Idoru was almost certainly underway by then. I'm just saying we should enjoy the "defictionalization" of virtual idols like in Plus without trying to actually attribute them to Macross. Besides, I am still waiting for the truly holographic and interactive concerts we saw in Plus and Frontier!