HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

At first I was surprised that people still thought that way, but HG's work behind the scenes has been effective over the years.

Y'know...I was thinking about this earlier today, thanks to Dynaman's (now locked) post about the Yamato live-action movie. Check out the official Star Blazers website...notice anything? Like the way it gives a comprehensive history of Space Battleship Yamato, as well as Star Blazers? The way it discusses Yamato movies, manga, novelizations, toys, and models? The in-depth blurbs about the new and upcoming Yamato films, despite the fact that these will probably never see the light of day in the US?

It's a great resource for anyone interested in Star Blazers, but it's also a great resource for anyone interested in Yamato, as well. Even though there are no in-Japanese-with-subs DVD sets for any of the three Yamato TV series, all of the information is right there on the website: how the series was originally, what the American producers changed, and why they changed it. Detailed synopses of the novelizations, the comics, and other media. Hell, they even translated one of the old comics and put it up for viewing. Translations of interviews with the original creators, and detailed, well-researched articles about the show in both Japanese and English incarnations.

What if Robotech.com had been as honest, forthright, and thorough?

It would be a large improvement to what's there now and how Robotech has been doing recently. However, that would mean all the personalities who were ever involved in Robotech would have to openly acknowledge the work done in the original shows, which together may be more than was involved in Yamato, rather than refer to all the people and what they created for Robotech as Tatsunoko. Instead, they only acknowledge them in a good light when HG can benefit from it, like selling the original anime series billed as the inspiration for Robotech or created by X which became part of Robotech. Everything has to revolve around Robotech.

Quick story; in the Playstation Store, Manga Entertainment sells digital downloads of some of their anime. Curiously, last I checked they offered the entire Robotech series, Macross II, and Macross Plus, and by the descriptions for all three you could swear that the writers were trying to make a direct connection between them. A la Robotech either inspired the other two or they are billed as sequels to it. Of course, to the average person I would sound too technical and just anal, since the belief that Robotech and Macross are the same thing still strongly exists.

EDIT: Sorry to Seto for sounding pissed off a while back.

Edited by Einherjar

Y'know...I was thinking about this earlier today, thanks to Dynaman's (now locked) post about the Yamato live-action movie. Check out the official Star Blazers website...notice anything? Like the way it gives a comprehensive history of Space Battleship Yamato, as well as Star Blazers? The way it discusses Yamato movies, manga, novelizations, toys, and models? The in-depth blurbs about the new and upcoming Yamato films, despite the fact that these will probably never see the light of day in the US?

It's a great resource for anyone interested in Star Blazers, but it's also a great resource for anyone interested in Yamato, as well. Even though there are no in-Japanese-with-subs DVD sets for any of the three Yamato TV series, all of the information is right there on the website: how the series was originally, what the American producers changed, and why they changed it. Detailed synopses of the novelizations, the comics, and other media. Hell, they even translated one of the old comics and put it up for viewing. Translations of interviews with the original creators, and detailed, well-researched articles about the show in both Japanese and English incarnations.

You raise a good point, but ultimately I think one of the major factors is that Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada were put through the mangler so badly that to run like the Star Blazers site would cause confusion and/or realisation that the Japanese products were far superior.

Star Blazers, by comparison, was only a minor rewrite of the original Yamato and I don't think that any US Star Blazers people would have the conceit to try to claim that their product was original.

Taksraven

If it were done 25 years ago, before the advent of the Internet, and RT.com, Harmony Gold might have been able to salvage some credibility. AS it stands, they might even have better relations with the folks that did the original series, and we might not have the Macross Blockade issues we have today.

If it were to be done now, though, it would only spell disaster for HG, since it would mean having to admit to a huge amount of BS that they've perpetrated and subborned, as well as admitting that everything they've done has been an abject failure, in comparrison to Macross's continued success...

Translation: It's too late, now.

Edited by Robelwell202

Star Blazers, by comparison, was only a minor rewrite of the original Yamato and I don't think that any US Star Blazers people would have the conceit to try to claim that their product was original.

Indeed. In fact, IIRC, the ending credits of Star Blazers ACTUALLY MENTIONED that the show was A) Japanese, and B) originally titled Space Battleship Yamato. Not only that, but Matsumoto, Nishizaki, et al were in the credits as well.

Whatta concept, huh?

And, even though, as you say, Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada went through something of a blender to become Robotech, I don't think it would necessarily have to be confusing to neophytes. Look at the essay about "The Star Blazers you DIDN'T see" (which I remember reading a long, long time ago in...Animag, I believe). Any one of us could write a similar blow-by-blow account of what was edited and changed in Robotech...we've got a fine example pinned on this very forum.

But yes, in order for RT.com to go that route, they'd have to stop viewing Robotech as a goose that still has a few golden eggs left in her, and start viewing it (as Robelwell202 has suggested) a "legacy series": a product of the '80s, good for its time, inspires a lot of fond memories, blah blah blah...but something that is effectively done. And they'd have to stop viewing Macross as a competing work, and start looking at things like new Macross stories or the new Mospeada book with more of an attitude of "Wow, look at what they're doing over in Japan!"

But yeah...ain't gonna happen.

If it were done 25 years ago, before the advent of the Internet, and RT.com, Harmony Gold might have been able to salvage some credibility. AS it stands, they might even have better relations with the folks that did the original series, and we might not have the Macross Blockade issues we have today.

If it were to be done now, though, it would only spell disaster for HG, since it would mean having to admit to a huge amount of BS that they've perpetrated and subborned, as well as admitting that everything they've done has been an abject failure, in comparrison to Macross's continued success...

Translation: It's too late, now.

They DID do it 25 years ago...Robotech Art 1 is a little too self-congratulatory, but it IS an essentially honest account of how Macross came to be, and then came to become Robotech. If further books in the series had expanded more on that, we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we (as Macross and/or Robotech fans) have.

My feeling about the whole situation (based on no hard evidence, just my personal interpretation) is that, for a while there in '85-'86, there were two schools of thought on how to proceed: The kiddie stuff (like the Robotech fan club, the Matchbox figures, the coloring books, and such) ignored Robotech's roots and acted like it was a completely original "Made in the US" work. The stuff geared for an older audience (like Robotech Art 1 and, initially, at least, the comics) were quite open and forthright about how Robotech was made, and were almost using Robotech as a springboard to talk about anime in general (which makes sense: the people who wrote Robotech Art 1 were anime fans BEFORE Robotech started airing). But then the novels came, trying to bind the three series even more closely together, and the comics started following suit.

Even then, it didn't get REALLY bad until the whole "Harmony Gold owns Macross Plus, too!" fiasco ten years ago. <_<

My feeling about the whole situation (based on no hard evidence, just my personal interpretation) is that, for a while there in '85-'86, there were two schools of thought on how to proceed: The kiddie stuff (like the Robotech fan club, the Matchbox figures, the coloring books, and such) ignored Robotech's roots and acted like it was a completely original "Made in the US" work. The stuff geared for an older audience (like Robotech Art 1 and, initially, at least, the comics) were quite open and forthright about how Robotech was made, and were almost using Robotech as a springboard to talk about anime in general (which makes sense: the people who wrote Robotech Art 1 were anime fans BEFORE Robotech started airing). But then the novels came, trying to bind the three series even more closely together, and the comics started following suit.

Even then, it didn't get REALLY bad until the whole "Harmony Gold owns Macross Plus, too!" fiasco ten years ago. <_<

So you can say that HG sold out to make an empire out of it.

And, even though, as you say, Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada went through something of a blender to become Robotech, I don't think it would necessarily have to be confusing to neophytes. Look at the essay about "The Star Blazers you DIDN'T see" (which I remember reading a long, long time ago in...Animag, I believe). Any one of us could write a similar blow-by-blow account of what was edited and changed in Robotech...we've got a fine example pinned on this very forum.

It is a great little essay. Has anybody bothered to write a decent article that tackles RT in similar manner? (I know that this thread exitst, but I was thinking of a summary version.

Taksraven

It is a great little essay. Has anybody bothered to write a decent article that tackles RT in similar manner? (I know that this thread exitst, but I was thinking of a summary version.

Taksraven

You quoted my answer before you even asked the question:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228 ;)

2 NOTES THAT WERE BROUGHT IN WAS WESTERNIZING (MAV INPUT) ANIME AND HOW CARL SAW ALL THE ORIGINAL ANIME WITHOUT SOUND OR READING IT TO MAKE ROBOTECH (DOUGBENDO STYLE).

Oh, ok. So Carl Macek is officially a brainless illiterate twit and Robotech had no thought put into it whatsoever. Nice to know that he gave as much attention to the originals as Doug Bendo did, and indeed Doug Bendo's style is, as Doug put it "Robotech style."

Good thing Memo cleared that up for us.

I can't wait until one of these geniuses reveals to us that "Western Story Telling" is a process by which Shakespeare, Homer, Dante, and writers up to the present day stick pencils in their asses, stand backwards on a chair, hunch down, wiggle their butts and scribble things on paper with their ass-pencils. This is the process by which all Western masterpieces arose: Agamemnon, Henry IV, Robotech - you know - the glue of all western culture.

Unlike those dumb easterners who write with their hands rather than their asses... which is just not globally palpatable.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Oh, ok. So Carl Macek is officially a brainless illiterate twit and Robotech had no thought put into it whatsoever. Nice to know that he gave as much attention to the originals as Doug Bendo did, and indeed Doug Bendo's style is, as Doug put it "Robotech style."

Unsurprisingly, this new stance that Carl Macek made the creative decisions he did to combine Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada into Robotech while watching the show with neither sound nor a translated script is at odds with Carl Macek's original account in Robotech Art 1 where he says he picked the latter two shows just on the grounds that they were convenient, and that he reviewed all three stories to see how best to combine them. The editors responsible for Robotech seem to have a love of revisionist history that borders on the fetishistic. They keep trying to make themselves look better by pretending the humble, honest accounts of the show's history from twenty years ago don't exist and are banking on the relative scarcity of those publications and the current fanbase's ignorance of them to mask what would otherwise be laughable, completely transparent lies.

It really should be setting off some warning lights that even Robotech fans as devoted as Pizza the Hutt, who until very recently went to bat for them even when there was no hope of victory, are turning on them.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

But this is MEMO talking from memory, how accurate can it be? I'll wait for the youtube video he'll promote eventually to make judgments.

Assuming, of course, that MEMO's video isn't conveniently damaged in several places where Tommy appears to be saying things that don't line up with what MEMO wants to believe like the last one he posted was.

Would he? He has a lot on his plate already to be articulate enough for that purpose; conventions, fan films, fan books, etc.

Unsurprisingly, this new stance that Carl Macek made the creative decisions he did to combine Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada into Robotech while watching the show with neither sound nor a translated script is at odds with Carl Macek's original account in Robotech Art 1 where he says he picked the latter two shows just on the grounds that they were convenient, and that he reviewed all three stories to see how best to combine them. The editors responsible for Robotech seem to have a love of revisionist history that borders on the fetishistic. They keep trying to make themselves look better by pretending the humble, honest accounts of the show's history from twenty years ago don't exist and are banking on the relative scarcity of those publications and the current fanbase's ignorance of them to mask what would otherwise be laughable, completely transparent lies.

I smell a Robotech Art 4/5/etc. coming out to clear that little mess up.

Edited by Einherjar

Got some questions and shoutouts:

A shoutout to ps99042 - Thanks for taking several hours of his life to endure the first Robotech panel of the year. I can't really blame you for not wanting to endure it again.

Why did I read that?

Now I need an asprin

I have a favor to ask to members of the board... but can summarize MEMO's convention report in proper English? Not sure what a "famouse" is.

Is sarcasm allowed in RobotechX.com?

The editors responsible for Robotech seem to have a love of revisionist history that borders on the fetishistic.

If they come out with these false statements in say... a behind-the-scenes documentary in some Robotech DVD / Blu-ray featurette, can they get sued??

HEHEHE

Not sure if anyone can really translate Memo's writing chrisk but I'm sure some "true" fan will interpret it as a positive for the "franchise." I'm curious if anything interesting came out at the Sunday Robotech Free-For-All question panel but I know it's not the full hour promised as Macek wanted to present something that they couldn't Saturday due to technical difficulties.

Now that you guys bring up Macek, I have to point out my impression of the guy. He actually came across as a bit cocky trying to justify his past and future products as being faithful to the originals. During the "Codename: Robotech" screening he pointed out that he only cut out about 8 minutes of total footage from the 3 originals series when making Robotech and didn't understand why some fans accused him of butchering the series. He said his cuts were only made so they would conform with tv standards though "Dana's Story" was different. He went on to talk about Robotech: The Untold Story talking about how he wrote an ending for it with new animation he storyboarded - a scene which I still think is so random when you watch it. He really emphasized how he was doing stuff no one else had ever thought about doing when working on Robotech (such as death, interracial relationships, episodes being serialized in order, etc.) as HG was trying to sell a story and not toys. Interesting no one mentioned Star Blazers, especially since many there were older than my 33 years.

I think the only thing I enjoyed about my who day there was the presence of Tony Oliver, listening to his voice just made me think of the good days of Robotech.

A shoutout to ps99042 - Thanks for taking several hours of his life to endure the first Robotech panel of the year. I can't really blame you for not wanting to endure it again.

I have a favor to ask to members of the board... but can summarize MEMO's convention report in proper English? Not sure what a "famouse" is.

It's basically the same thing they've always been saying with Robotech; that they're entitled to use all of Macross despite never actually doing anything involving it for years. Also, defending Robotech's right to exist. Add some fluff about it's origins and its connection to the history of anime, and the whole thing sounds like a trip down memory lane that may or may not be true.

S.S.D.D.

Not sure if anyone can really translate Memo's writing chrisk but I'm sure some "true" fan will interpret it as a positive for the "franchise." ... Now that you guys bring up Macek, I have to point out my impression of the guy. He actually came across as a bit cocky trying to justify his past and future products as being faithful to the originals... He said his cuts were only made so they would conform with tv standards though "Dana's Story" was different.

Same ol' reactions, same ol' Macek. Tony Oliver's cool though.

It's basically the same thing they've always been saying with Robotech; that they're entitled to use all of Macross despite never actually doing anything involving it for years. Also, defending Robotech's right to exist. Add some fluff about it's origins and its connection to the history of anime, and the whole thing sounds like a trip down memory lane that may or may not be true.

I think the general thrill people have with these con "reports", year in year out is to see how Tommy and co. will change their answers to "tough" questions (like when Shadow Rising will be released, etc.).

In reading all that recap stuff from the con, there were two ways to take the false statements... 1) get pissed about it and again, show where it's all wrong, or 2) Just let them be. When HG legal says you can't use the designs in prducing a new series or movie, I think I'd trust them over Tommy Yune. So, what would be the point of arguing when the facts are there against that idea? The fact is, is that the original designs will not be used in any new productions, EVER. It's not even worth debating, as the truth will dictate how the company runs the franchise. It's things like that, that make the whole debate pointless. Tommy has an agenda to keep the dwindling fans happy, and if that means stroking them all, well, that's HG's PR trenches there. Of course, as has been said before, just about anything can be made true with enough spin and twists. There's never been a doubt about product and merchandise having the DYRL and original Macross designs, but there's a reason why we're still right, why HG legal doesn't allow any Macross designs, or even Macross type terms in the movie. Now, maybe some of it will be cleared up, but the general concept is still gonna be there, and it's not gonna change. Use whatever excuse you want, there will be no Macross designs insert into new productions. End of discussion.

I'm not fluent in Memo, but I think I can get by. Let's see...

SATURDAY FIRST DAY OF THE CON.

Translation: On this chilly Saturday, as January dribbles to a close, the Animation on Display (AOD) convention in lovely and historic San Francisco, California, opened its doors like a beacon of light unto the world.

I COVERED TWO PANELS AT THE SAME TIME FROM TOMMYS ON HOW TO DO COMICS TO CARL MACEK ON TALK BACK CODENAME ROBOTECH.

Translation: Alas! Due to scheduling conflicts, I, Memo, had to make a Sophie's Choice-style decision about whether to attend the honorable Tommy Yune's "How to draw comics" panel, or the illustrious Carl Macek's "Codename: Robotech" presentation. Girding my loins, and wiping tears of regret from eyes, I chose the difficult task of participating in both.

NOT MUCH THERE FOR NEWS OTHER THAN CARL WAS RE TELLING FANS OF HOW ROBOTECH BECAME TO BE AND THE WORK THAT WAS DONE ON IT.

Translation: Information about upcoming events, festivities, and merchandise was scant. However, Mr. Macek once again recounted the glorious tale of the creation of Robotech before an enthralled crowd hanging on his every utterance.

THE ROBOTECH PANEL WAS VERY DIFFERENT.

Translation: The Robotech panel was quite different.

CARL TALKED ABOUT THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH JUST LIKE THE ANN PODCAST AND A LITTLE BIT MORE OF HISTORY OF ANIME.

Translation: Mr. Macek narrated the events surrounding the birth of Robotech in much the same inimitable manner in which he spoke during his interview on the downloadable radio show done for Anime News Network, but appended several anecdotes about how the art form known as "anime" came into existence.

TOMMY SUMMED UP ALL OF LAST YEARS NEWS KINDA LIKE COMIC CON AND SHOWED THE ALL FAMOUSE NEW DIGITAL ANIMATED CLIP FROM SHADOW CHRONICLES. WHICH IS NOT NEW BECAUSE IT WAS AN OLD EDITED OUT CLIP.

Translation: Mr. Yune extended the saga, relating the events of the last few years, much as he has done many times before as the justly famed Comic Book Convention in San Diego; he also showed the magisterial and world-renowned newly animated scene from Shadow Chronicles (although, if I may rely on your discretion, it is not "new" in any strict sense of the word, being as it is a scene that was edited from the final version of the film).

Q&A WAS RUSHED AND FEW QUESTIONS WAS ASKED.

Translation: It pains me to say that not enough time had been allotted for the "Question and Answer" portion of the afternoon's gala event, and thus only a few queries escaped the lips of the eager fans.

THE PANEL ENDED IN A CLIFFHANGER WITH ONE QUESTION FROM MOONGIRL HERSELF.

Translation: The sweet torture of anticipation was awakened in us, because of a question asked by the lovely and enticing "lunar young female."

(BY MEMORY)

Translation: To err is human...perfect recollection is nigh-on-impossible.

CAN HG USE THE ANIMATION IMAGES THAT BW AND STUDIO NUE FOUGHT IN RECENT EVENTS OF 2002.

Translation: Can Harmony Gold, vulture-like, swoop down from the sky to pick at the carcasses left from the bloody struggle of Big West and Studio Nue over the Macross images?

TOMMY WENT INTO PRODUCT AND MERCHANDISING AND HOW THE SLAPPED ROBOTECH ON DYRL AND ALL LEGAL.

Translation: Mr. Yune patiently explained that Harmony Gold has already released several toys created from the designs for the Macross film entitled "Do You Remember Love," the name ROBOTECH lovingly etched upon them.

MOONGIRL REPEATED HER QUESTION AND TOMMY LOOKED LIKE HE GOT WHAT MOONGIRL WAS ASKING AND SAID YES!

Translation: "Lunar young female" reiterated her words of inquisition. Mr. Yune looked at her. The atmosphere was electric, and, wordlessly, an understanding was reached between them. Mr. Yune replied...in the affirmative.

FANS JUMP UP AND START THROWING HANDS FOR MORE QUESTIONS AND IF WB WILL BE ABLE TO USE MACROSS AND TOMMY SAID YES.

Translation: Legions of people, astonished by this answer, energetically leapt to their feet to ask if even the mighty Warner Brothers may utilize these Macross designs for their dark purposes. Mr. Yune again replied positively.

THEN TOMMY, CARL MACEK AND TONY OLIVER ENDED THE PANEL WITH A CONTINUATION FOR SUNDAY ON A ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS ON PANEL...

Translation: And then...Woe be unto us all! Messrs. Macek, Yune, and Oliver completed their presentation, and tabled all further questions until the next day. The unasked questions turned to ashes in their askers' mouths.

ALL ON VIDEO AND SINCE ITS A RECAP OF LAST YEAR WILL PUT UP SOON.

Translation: I am a prompt and obedient Youtube slave.

2 NOTES THAT WERE BROUGHT IN WAS WESTERNIZING (MAV INPUT) ANIME AND HOW CARL SAW ALL THE ORIGINAL ANIME WITHOUT SOUND OR READING IT TO MAKE ROBOTECH (DOUGBENDO STYLE).

Translation: Entertainingly, a couple of topics were broached that touch upon discussions had previously with the irrepressible and sometimes lucid Robotech scholars, Maverick_LSC (regarding the "westernization" of work that originates from the farthest reaches of the inscrutable orient) and Doug Bendo (as Mr. Macek told lurid tales of watching anime with no audio output, since as Mr. Bendo finds himself unwilling or unable to read subtitles).

STAY TUNED FOR CONTINUATION BECAUSE FANS WERE TRYING THAT SHADOW RISING QUESTION AND THE STAFF KEPT SAYING TILL SUNDAY.

Translation: I would like to find a reasonably priced hotel. Could you direct me to one?

HEHEHE

Translation: I can no longer contain my mirth.

Edited by Gubaba

Translation: On this chilly Saturday, as January dribbles to a close, the Animation on Display (AOD) convention in lovely and historic San Francisco, California, opened its doors like a beacon of light unto the world.

I COVERED TWO PANELS AT THE SAME TIME FROM TOMMYS ON HOW TO DO COMICS TO CARL MACEK ON TALK BACK CODENAME ROBOTECH.

Translation: Alas! Due to scheduling conflicts, I, Memo, had to make a Sophie's Choice-style decision about whether to attend the honorable Tommy Yune's "How to draw comics" panel, or the illustrious Carl Macek's "Codename: Robotech" presentation. Girding my loins, and wiping tears of regret from eyes, I chose the difficult task of participating in both.

NOT MUCH THERE FOR NEWS OTHER THAN CARL WAS RE TELLING FANS OF HOW ROBOTECH BECAME TO BE AND THE WORK THAT WAS DONE ON IT.

Translation:Information about upcoming events, festivities, and merchandise was scant. However, Mr. Macek once again recounted the glorious tale of the creation of Robotech before an enthralled crowd hanging on his every utterance.

Translation: The Robotech panel was quite different.

CARL TALKED ABOUT THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH JUST LIKE THE ANN PODCAST AND A LITTLE BIT MORE OF HISTORY OF ANIME.

Translation: Mr. Macek narrated the events surrounding the birth of Robotech in much the same inimitable manner in which he spoke during his interview on the downloadable radio show done for Anime News Network, but appended several anecdotes about how the art form known as "anime" came into existence.

TOMMY SUMMED UP ALL OF LAST YEARS NEWS KINDA LIKE COMIC CON AND SHOWED THE ALL FAMOUSE NEW DIGITAL ANIMATED CLIP FROM SHADOW CHRONICLES. WHICH IS NOT NEW BECAUSE IT WAS AN OLD EDITED OUT CLIP.

Translation: Mr. Yune extended the saga, relating the events of the last few years, much as he has done many times before as the justly famed Comic Book Convention in San Diego; he also showed the magisterial and world-renowned newly animated scene from Shadow Chronicles (although, if I may rely on your discretion, it is not "new" in any strict sense of the word, being as it is a scene that was edited from the final version of the film).

Q&A WAS RUSHED AND FEW QUESTIONS WAS ASKED.

Translation: It pains me to say that not enough time had been allotted for the "Question and Answer" portion of the afternoon's gala event, and thus only a few queries escaped the lips of the eager fans.

THE PANEL ENDED IN A CLIFFHANGER WITH ONE QUESTION FROM MOONGIRL HERSELF.

Translation: The sweet torture of anticipation was awakened in us, because of a question asked by the lovely and enticing "lunar young female."

(BY MEMORY)

Translation: To err is human...perfect recollection is nigh-on-impossible.

CAN HG USE THE ANIMATION IMAGES THAT BW AND STUDIO NUE FOUGHT IN RECENT EVENTS OF 2002.

Translation: Can Harmony Gold, vulture-like, swoop down from the sky to pick at the carcasses left from the bloody struggle of Big West and Studio Nue over the Macross images?

TOMMY WENT INTO PRODUCT AND MERCHANDISING AND HOW THE SLAPPED ROBOTECH ON DYRL AND ALL LEGAL.

Translation: Mr. Yune patiently explained that Harmony Gold has already released several toys created from the designs for the Macross film entitled "Do You Remember Love," the name ROBOTECH lovingly etched upon them.

MOONGIRL REPEATED HER QUESTION AND TOMMY LOOKED LIKE HE GOT WHAT MOONGIRL WAS ASKING AND SAID YES!

Translation: "Lunar young female" reiterated her words of inquisition. Mr. Yune looked at her. The atmosphere was electric, and, wordlessly, an understanding was reached between them. Mr. Yune replied...in the affirmative.

FANS JUMP UP AND START THROWING HANDS FOR MORE QUESTIONS AND IF WB WILL BE ABLE TO USE MACROSS AND TOMMY SAID YES.

Translation: Legions of people, astonished by this answer, energetically leap to their feet to ask if even the mighty Warner Borthers may utilize these Macross designs for their dark purposes. Mr. Yune again replied positively.

THEN TOMMY, CARL MACEK AND TONY OLIVER ENDED THE PANEL WITH A CONTINUATION FOR SUNDAY ON A ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS ON PANEL...

Translation: And then...Woe be unto us all! Messrs. Macek, Yune, and Oliver completed their presentation, and tabled all further questions until the next day. The unasked questions turned to ashes in their askers' mouths.

ALL ON VIDEO AND SINCE ITS A RECAP OF LAST YEAR WILL PUT UP SOON.

Translation: I am a prompt and obedient Youtube slave.

Translation: Entertainingly, a couple of topics were broached that touch upon discussions had previously with the irrepressible and sometimes lucid Robotech scholars, Maverick_LSC (regarding the "westernization" of work that originates from the farthest reaches of the inscrutable orient) and Doug Bendo (as Mr. Macek told lurid tales of watching anime with no audio output, since as Mr. Bendo finds himself unwilling or unable to read subtitles).

STAY TUNED FOR CONTINUATION BECAUSE FANS WERE TRYING THAT SHADOW RISING QUESTION AND THE STAFF KEPT SAYING TILL SUNDAY.

Translation: I would like to find a reasonably priced hotel. Could you direct me to one?

HEHEHE

Translation: I can no longer contain my mirth.

well done! You deserve a cookie :lol:

Wow, you actually managed to make something MEMO wrote make sense...

HG is just doing this to hype up the 25th anniversary. They know if they keep going where they are with nothing new to announce, a lot of their fans will eventually quit.

It's not like it's not happening in ones and twos now... they're just afraid it'll turn into a stampede to get away from the franchise once the smell of bullshit can no longer cover the smell of death.

I offer an alternative and even more accurate translation of the MIGHTY MEMO......

Translation: I am a stupid farker and my "English" is FUBAR

Translation:I am a stupid farker and my "English" is FUBAR.

etc,etc,etc....................

Sophie's Choice comparison was particularly brilliant, Gubaba.

Well done.

Taksraven

Another reason why the whole "I didn't watch Macross with sound but only saw the pictures and wrote Robotech to it" line is BS:

Namely - for all the times that the translations do NOT overlap with the original - well...sorry...but there's a ton of times when the translation and the original DO overlap.

So you expect me to believe that Macek just miraculously put basically the same words in characters mouths as the original Japanese track in 90% of the show?

What the hell?

Pete

Would he? He has a lot on his plate already to be articulate enough for that purpose; conventions, fan films, fan books, etc.

I smell a Robotech Art 4/5/etc. coming out to clear that little mess up.

I don't think Starblaze Studios exists anymore.

I don't think Starblaze Studios exists anymore.

Kind of a non-issue, they didn't have any problems churning out a passable but weak imitation of the old Robotech Art series (The Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles) via Stone Bridge Press.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

One interesting thing he emphasized was that HG can use ANY Macross designs in future productions. His only example was the use of the VF-1 Strike canon on the toys. When the girl who asked the question had him clarify, Tommy said even the character designs could be used in future animation though they changed them in Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles so that they would have a chance of selling Robotech in Japan. Wonder if anyone in Japan has even watched the original Robotech?

Yes, it was broadcasted in Okinawa if I'm not mistaken, there was even a member of a Japanese Robotech fansite posting on this board a while ago.

Now there's an obvious bit of misdirection if ever I saw one...

It looks like he's trying to, intentionally or otherwise, blur the distinction between merchandise and derivative works in the eyes of the audience by referring to toys as "productions" rather than "products". He's done it before, and it fooled nobody last time either. All the legal documentation and other evidence available indicates quite clearly that Harmony Gold is perfectly at liberty to produce merchandise based on the original Macross series and DYRL, because they hold the merchandising rights to those shows outside of Japan. It seems like Tommy's attempting to generalize his way out of the second issue... their ability to use the character designs. It's impossible for Harmony Gold to use the original Macross (or DYRL) character and mechanical designs in derivative works (animation, live action) because those designs are the copyrighted property of Big West and Studio Nue... neither Harmony Gold nor Tatsunoko Productions have any right to them. The court rulings made sure that wasn't open to debate. It's entirely possible for Harmony Gold to use the Southern Cross and Mospeada designs in derivative works, since those are the property of their partner Tatsunoko. Harmony Gold's original Robotech creative director (Carl Macek) even went on record at Robocon 10 back when he was still working on the franchise to say that they had to redesign the Macross characters for Robotech II: the Sentinels because they couldn't use the originals. Tommy's trying to sidestep the matter by being obtuse.

That's my understanding as well, HG, Tats and Warner have no acces to the designs for future animation/movie projects.

This is actually 100% true. They can use any Macross mecha, or character designs in future Robotech Productions...via splicing in pre-existing Macross TV footage into said production (ala the sentinels).

Either this or Yune forgot to consult the company lawyer and said something he really shouldn't have. Unless something has changed in the relations between both sides that we are not aware off.

So this event turned out to be the same as the rest of the convention tour stops that aren't Anime Expo and Comic-Con. What a waste, especially for MEMO. Why would he go all the way to San Francisco for the first stop of the Robotech Convention Tour? Was he really hoping that anything would come out of this because of the 25th anniversary? Of course, he can spin it around saying he met Carl Macek and etc. and a lot of the fandom there, but the whole event didn't reveal anything.

Same ol' sh*t, just with a Robotech 25 anniversary sticker on top of it. If there is anything to be done, I'm sure, once again, it'll be left up to the fans to do it. HG's way of saying we're too damn cheap to really put something together.