DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

I was wondering, since there are comparisons to the 25th anniversary dvds, how is the quality of the dyrl dvds on amazon for $20 with subs?

If it's the FX version, the subs aren't that great, and the picture quality is pretty grainy. In the opening sequence of the FX version, when it shows the Macross going through space, you can't really see any of the stars moving in the background. On the HD remastered DVD version, you can see that, but there's still a little grain. This Bluray version looks almost like a brand new release.

If it's the FX version, the subs aren't that great, and the picture quality is pretty grainy. In the opening sequence of the FX version, when it shows the Macross going through space, you can't really see any of the stars moving in the background. On the HD remastered DVD version, you can see that, but there's still a little grain. This Bluray version looks almost like a brand new release.

Actually, the subs on the FX release were revised sometime in the last few years, it now has perfect subs, and hard subbed songs, but teh video quality that came from the first edition DVD is still the same (i.e. not remastered, but it is anamorphic & prog scan).

Edited by Keith

Wait a sec...

...there are stars in the background during that scene?

Wait a sec...

...there are stars in the background during that scene?

That's the first thing I noticed when I saw the HD remastered DVD. There's soooo much that you miss in the bootlegs from long ago. The Bluray is going to be epic in quality, just by the previews of it. If you plan to get it, watch the opening of one, then the opening of the other. You'll be able to see the difference from the get go.

The thing that most needs cleaning up after the last remaster is the soundtrack. There were so many pops in the HD version from a few yaers ago that it was jarring. Mind you comparatively they've been in the soundtrack for quite a while, whatever they did really emphasized it.

Also, don't be alarmed when you notice a frame of animation out of place as Bodolza's fortress falling apart. It was noticeable in the last remaster, but it should be extra clear in the bluray version. Kinda like how that one random frame of Hikaru's poor dead fan-racer overlayed on a shot of Misa is more noticable on the recent TV blurays.

I'm still contemplating never watching the BD and sticking to my LD, it still seems to me that the LD was how it was meant to be seen at home.. kind of like for historical accuracy of Macross fandom, the softness of LD video has a charm to it too, the sound is brilliant and it just seems right..

I'm still contemplating never watching the BD and sticking to my LD, it still seems to me that the LD was how it was meant to be seen at home..

If you want to argue about the way it was meant to be seen then the only answer is in a theatre with a film projector.

As far as "at home" goes it could not have been meant to be seen one way or the other because early on VHS and LD were the only options for home.

But technology improves and now we're finally at a point where we can pretty much see the film print at home. The way it was meant to be :p

I'm still contemplating never watching the BD and sticking to my LD, it still seems to me that the LD was how it was meant to be seen at home.. kind of like for historical accuracy of Macross fandom, the softness of LD video has a charm to it too, the sound is brilliant and it just seems right..

Yeah...if you're still living in the 80's :)

I hope the audio on Flashback 2012 in this release is better than what was on the last DVD release - which was absolutely terrible. I think the last time Flashback 2012 had good audio quality was on LD.

Edited by Vifam7

It was never meant to be seen on giant archaic analog disc's.

If anything, it was probably meant to be viewed and heard on those little plates that Misa got Ai Oboeteimasuka translations from, and the type that Bodolza played for Britai in the movie. Here on earth, it's just a matter of your choice, obviously, but higher fidelity and sharper images with clearer color are pretty much always preferred, unless one is trying to be different.

If anything, it was probably meant to be viewed and heard on those little plates that Misa got Ai Oboeteimasuka translations from, and the type that Bodolza played for Britai in the movie.

I realize now that tablets actually are a Protoculture’s invention.

But technology improves and now we're finally at a point where we can pretty much see the film print at home. The way it was meant to be :p

One bounty hunter to another, if I'd jumped on the bandwagon when the "new and improved" technology of DVD came out for DYRL in the late '90s then I'd be left with a macro blocky DYRL? with a clipped soundtrack. I'm still not convinced that what we're seeing on BD is what was shown in the theatres or an over-enhanced parody of it. I'll stick with LD for the forseeable future I guess, it satisfies me and my copy of Perfect Edition only cost me $8 in Tokyo in 2002. That's a lot of value over a decade. If I can make it last another 50 years think of the savings on a perfectly acceptable copy of the movie that is not only great looking, it is analogue and is exactly what original Macross fans in the '80s grew up on. It's like a piece of history.

I'd stil be enjoying my historic & hilarious Clash of the Bionoids VHS for kicks if i had a functional VCR, but i look forward to the best, most state of the art version of DYRL the world currently has to offer, & will continue to enjoy any newer version technology eventually provides.

One bounty hunter to another, if I'd jumped on the bandwagon when the "new and improved" technology of DVD came out for DYRL in the late '90s then I'd be left with a macro blocky DYRL? with a clipped soundtrack. I'm still not convinced that what we're seeing on BD is what was shown in the theatres or an over-enhanced parody of it. I'll stick with LD for the forseeable future I guess, it satisfies me and my copy of Perfect Edition only cost me $8 in Tokyo in 2002. That's a lot of value over a decade. If I can make it last another 50 years think of the savings on a perfectly acceptable copy of the movie that is not only great looking, it is analogue and is exactly what original Macross fans in the '80s grew up on. It's like a piece of history.

The old formats do have their charm and I'd hang on to that LD if I owned it. However, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the new formats in the slightest. The fact of the matter is that there will always be newer formats to come and it is up to all of us to determine exactly where our individual stopping point is. I won't call it progress exactly (even though I believe that there is progress for sure) but time moves on.

My problem is that I vastly prefer the 1984 "theatrical edition" of DYRL (with the mono sound and the un-FB2012'd ending) to the 1992 "special edition"...

Included with the previous DVD edition actually.