Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

2.) vf-25F have a hip mod.

*I have grind the hip a little bit, so that it can achieve a much more aggresive "A-stance" (see comparison between stock and mod pic 14)

Enjoy!

The vf-25 looks very good now IMO.

you're making it damn hard resisting getting the ozma!

*sigh* well can you post a clear picture of the hip mod and how you did it? what tools

did you use?

I have both the Ozma and Alto DX toys so far. I do think they're priced higher than they should be, and I'm in the camp which feels Yamato has hit a very good balance of playability and looks. Of course, I've never been burned by the QC issues that seem to have plagued a lot of people. If I had been, I'd probably be a lot more enamoured with the DX.

I suspect that Bandai, being a much larger company than Yamato, and this toy having a much broader market given the success of the show, really could have turned out a toy with Yamato looks, yet sturdier and with fewer QC issues, and retained a similar price point. That doesn't make the DX a bad toy, it's just business that less was put into design with expectations that sales would be solid regardless. And it's not a bad toy, but it's a poor display piece. The toy has its merits, but anyone who says that it looks every bit as good as a 1/48 and beyond Yamato toy is, well, lacking an eye for detail.

The toy is substantially cheaper than most recent Yamato toys, but it's also quite a bit smaller than, say, the 1/60 Macross Plus toys out so far. It's larger than the similarly priced 1/60 VF-1 v2 toys, but less detailed and cheaper looking. I dunno. I'm getting all four, but I'm also a huge fan of Frontier and the VF-25 design, so that may be getting the best of me here. I did have to think long and hard about it, even after getting these first two in my hands.

I can say, without reservation, that if I knew Yamato would be putting out their own 1/60 Frontier toys in a few years, I would probably only have one DX and no plans for more. Of course, again, I've never been burned by Yamato. I can certainly understand why those who have would not hold such an opinion. Also, I am glad that there's some competition for my Macross toy dollars now. I do hope that we see some positive effect from Yamato and Bandai competing over our collective wallets.

I agree with Radd on that Bandai could have done a far far better job, on a toy with both durability and accuracy. (If they air-brushed the 1/72 model with the stripes, we have a close product there already.) And compared with other valkyries like YF-19, the VF-25 transformation is quite simple already.

However, I don't see much competition from the view of Bandai. Macross Frontier is the hottie... Like it or not, if you want a MF product, you can only get it from Bandai. Look at Bandai's other products, and we all know what they are capable of. But MF is so popular that they don't need to put much effort to make it sell.

My theory is that they intend to give you a far-from-perfect product. In 2nd round, they would offer something more up to standard so people would be tempted to buy even they already got the DX. We'll see.

BTW, if the scale is 1/55 instead of 1/60, I would declare that they just wanted to complete the chunky monkey series. B))

I have both the Ozma and Alto DX toys so far. I do think they're priced higher than they should be, and I'm in the camp which feels Yamato has hit a very good balance of playability and looks. Of course, I've never been burned by the QC issues that seem to have plagued a lot of people. If I had been, I'd probably be a lot more enamoured with the DX.

I suspect that Bandai, being a much larger company than Yamato, and this toy having a much broader market given the success of the show, really could have turned out a toy with Yamato looks, yet sturdier and with fewer QC issues, and retained a similar price point. That doesn't make the DX a bad toy, it's just business that less was put into design with expectations that sales would be solid regardless. And it's not a bad toy, but it's a poor display piece. The toy has its merits, but anyone who says that it looks every bit as good as a 1/48 and beyond Yamato toy is, well, lacking an eye for detail.

The toy is substantially cheaper than most recent Yamato toys, but it's also quite a bit smaller than, say, the 1/60 Macross Plus toys out so far. It's larger than the similarly priced 1/60 VF-1 v2 toys, but less detailed and cheaper looking. I dunno. I'm getting all four, but I'm also a huge fan of Frontier and the VF-25 design, so that may be getting the best of me here. I did have to think long and hard about it, even after getting these first two in my hands.

I can say, without reservation, that if I knew Yamato would be putting out their own 1/60 Frontier toys in a few years, I would probably only have one DX and no plans for more. Of course, again, I've never been burned by Yamato. I can certainly understand why those who have would not hold such an opinion. Also, I am glad that there's some competition for my Macross toy dollars now. I do hope that we see some positive effect from Yamato and Bandai competing over our collective wallets.

Will any (hopefully) upcoming news about the (hopefully) retooled or re-cast VF-25s from the upcoming Frontier Movie appear in this thread?

Pete

It'll probably have its own thread. It deserves its own thread, anyway. I just panel-lined my DX-25F and it does make a world of difference in how it looks!