Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

IIRC, Eyebrows has only indicated that there may be some slight visual changes. I wouldn't expect anything too drastic.

Graham

Yes, but you know that's just going to result in a new release, and there's going to be tonnes of heated discussion comparing the 'old' DX vs the 'new' DX. Good times ahead!

Hopefully the new releases will be more anime-accurate ala the model kits--I really don't see a reason why they can't make it accurate and durable given how much abuse my model kit has taken!

Look's like you have successfully rescued the Gerwalk mode of the DX! Well done! Looks like it balances quite well too.

lol thanks. almost tho, there's still a matter of the heel/ankle mod, but hesitant on that because I'm afraid to lose balance

you're right, looks good enough and only have one of these for awhile. My next step is a bigger pilot to match

the yamatos 1/60, which I'll make a thread for later in the kitbash forum.

Hmm someone recently took a VF-0A Shin and basically chopped his arms and legs off to fit. And I think earlier in the ver2 of this thread it was shown that Yamato's pilots were a little too big for 1/60 scale! Are you going to sculpt your pilot or just mod him from a Yamato?

where do you get to buy the joints for this one? i wonder

It could be one of those joints from the Kotobukiya Modeling Support Goods. You can find the exact dimensions of the joints on their website: http://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/item/page/parts/index_poly.shtml

You can buy them at most Japanese online stores such as HLJ and Hobby Search. There are also other brands such as Yellow Submarine and Wave that have joints in their assortment.

It could be one of those joints from the Kotobukiya Modeling Support Goods. You can find the exact dimensions of the joints on their website: http://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/item/page/parts/index_poly.shtml

You can buy them at most Japanese online stores such as HLJ and Hobby Search. There are also other brands such as Yellow Submarine and Wave that have joints in their assortment.

Anybody with an exact description of the ball joint that they used to fix their Ozma? I know someone has used a hip joint cannibalized from the GNU VF-11B, but not everybody hates the GNU-DOU line that much ^_^

MY SHOULDER (screw) BROKE

Check those screws! I didn't even get a chance to transform it from fighter to gerwalk, straight out of the box, without the screw head breaking off:

broken25_2.jpg

broken25_1.jpg

broken25_3.jpg

Is this easy to replace? The screw is rather small, and I have 0 knowledge on hardware stuff :/

Just my luck...

EDIT: Alto's sad now. "Can I has screw?" :(

dx_broken.jpg

EDIT2: More pics - Gerwalk

dx_gerwalk.jpg

Edited by OmegaD3k

Hmm someone recently took a VF-0A Shin and basically chopped his arms and legs off to fit. And I think earlier in the ver2 of this thread it was shown that Yamato's pilots were a little too big for 1/60 scale! Are you going to sculpt your pilot or just mod him from a Yamato?

I'm going to sculpt it.

@ omega

Omg that really sucks. I think your the 1st casualty. I'm not sure about how to fix

That. I'm sure its possible.

After close inspection: Nope, it's just the head of the screw, which holds two metal pieces together.

It looks like a simple fix though: Replace the screw. The main question is, what type is it?

The shoulder ball joint is REALLY tight, which may have caused the screw to break.

In any case, aside from the battle-damage, the DX is quite nice! Gerwalk mode has it's limitations, and fighter mode has bent wings, but overall, it's pretty good. :)

Wing:

wing.jpg

Edited by OmegaD3k

After close inspection: Nope, it's just the head of the screw, which holds two metal pieces together.

It looks like a simple fix though: Replace the screw. The main question is, what type is it?

The shoulder ball joint is REALLY tight, which may have caused the screw to break.

In any case, aside from the battle-damage, the DX is quite nice! Gerwalk mode has it's limitations, and fighter mode has bent wings, but overall, it's pretty good. :)

Wing:

wing.jpg

You are really forgiving! Many people would've roasted Yamato over an open fire just for that broken screw. On the face of it, though, I guess it would be pretty easy to fix, if you can find a screw of the right diameter and length--I hope standard crosshead screws will do since Bandai seems to have used a different type! Please do post up your fix in case anybody else encounters the same problems!

Yamato might have broken plastic, but Bandai has broken metal! :p

I guess I'll have to transform my VF-25F once I get it--shipped from Angolz on the 18th and out of customs today, its on its way!!!

Edit: About that bent wing-- thats just the way the VF-25 was designed. It's supposed to have a dihedral, which is pretty weird for a fighter (why the heck does a fighter want more roll stability anyway, given that the center of mass for the VF-25 is below the centre of lift?)

Edited by edwin3060

Anybody with an exact description of the ball joint that they used to fix their Ozma? I know someone has used a hip joint cannibalized from the GNU VF-11B, but not everybody hates the GNU-DOU line that much ^_^

What I try to understand is

He cuts ball joint from original joint and combine with kotobukiya double joint ( part number myabe D-108 or D-113)

For the neck, I am not sure waht he says

I guess you first need to be able to remove both end of the broken screw without damaging the other pieces. Then glue the broken pieces together, if it still resemble a regular screw, then go try find a match in a home hardware type store.

If it is easy to do, you may also want to disassemble the other arm to get the screw it has. It is possible that the broken screw is actually a wrong one incorrectly installed by the worker.

I guess you first need to be able to remove both end of the broken screw without damaging the other pieces. Then glue the broken pieces together, if it still resemble a regular screw, then go try find a match in a home hardware type store.

If it is easy to do, you may also want to disassemble the other arm to get the screw it has. It is possible that the broken screw is actually a wrong one incorrectly installed by the worker.

A slight hitch seems to be that Bandai doesn't use normal crosshead screws for the toy, so dissembling the other shoulder might prove to be a difficult task in itself. I know I will check my VF-25Fs shoulders when they arrive. Looks like Bandai is paying homage to the VF-1 v2.0 line! ^_^

The two metal shoulder parts are held together by a philips cross-head screw - the DX is filled with em.

I removed the broken screw stub by using pliers, twisting it out like any other screw. Will look for a replacement one later in the week.

It looks roughly 5-7 mm in length.

oh i see hey thanks :)

Wing:

wing.jpg

I wonder have anyone used the blow dryer technique where you heat the plastic up with a blow dryer and place it on a flat surface or bend it to the position you like, let it cool off and there its straight and it wont form back into its original crooked form, and also try this method with the antenna of the dx ozma :) due to my experience with some other toys this usually works. I hope this would help with some of the problems. :) One more thing try to unscrew the other arm and go to a hobby shop, radio shack or a rc shop maybe a hardware store too. show the sample screw piece to them. I'm sure they might have one or if not ask them where can you get the screw they have the knowledge for that.

Edited by tank

MY SHOULDER (screw) BROKE

broken25_3.jpg

Is this easy to replace? The screw is rather small, and I have 0 knowledge on hardware stuff :/

Just my luck...

OMGWAT? A DEFECT!? BANDAIS REP IS RUINED FOREVER. YOU GOT BANDAIED.

-_-"

OMGWAT? A DEFECT!? BANDAIS REP IS RUINED FOREVER. YOU GOT BANDAIED.

-_-"

IT'S AN EPIDEMIC! EVERY BANDAI SUCKS!! HOW CAN THEY EXPECT US TO PAY THESE KINDS OF PRICES WHEN THEY BREAK FROM BARELY TOUCHING THEM??!?!?!

Well, geez, I was TOTALLY going to buy like 20 of these things but NOW I'M NEVER BUYING ANOTHER BANDAI PRODUCT EVER AGAIN!!

Vostok 7

IT'S AN EPIDEMIC! EVERY BANDAI SUCKS!! HOW CAN THEY EXPECT US TO PAY THESE KINDS OF PRICES WHEN THEY BREAK FROM BARELY TOUCHING THEM??!?!?!

Well, geez, I was TOTALLY going to buy like 20 of these things but NOW I'M NEVER BUYING ANOTHER BANDAI PRODUCT EVER AGAIN!!

Vostok 7

Hm... Now, I think it's time to buy me some more Yammies. :)

I wonder have anyone used the blow dryer technique where you heat the plastic up with a blow dryer and place it on a flat surface or bend it to the position you like, let it cool off and there its straight and it wont form back into its original crooked form, and also try this method with the antenna of the dx ozma :) due to my experience with some other toys this usually works. I hope this would help with some of the problems. :) One more thing try to unscrew the other arm and go to a hobby shop, radio shack or a rc shop maybe a hardware store too. show the sample screw piece to them. I'm sure they might have one or if not ask them where can you get the screw they have the knowledge for that.

The blow dryer technique works with the PVC antenna. You can even speed things up by cooling with a piece of ice or ice pack from the fridge.

wing.jpg

But make sure you DON'T correct or straighten the wings. Its not a warped plastic defect. Its intended to have that curve. Look at the housing of the wing where the wing is retracted into. The housing also has the same curve. So the curve is an aesthetic touch, not something you should correct. You can ruin your toy and the wings won't retract properly if you 'warp' it straight.

Edited by mpchi

Y'all can poo-poo it all you want, I think it's a quality piece, easily on par with my 1A. :D

AnniversaryValks.jpg

While the wing has a definite intentional curve to it, I also think there's a bit of extra upward bend being put into place by the tightness of the lock fit on the wing roots to the legs and the way the root locking peg is angled. It notably cants the legs (and thusly the wings, thrusters, and landing gear) outward and upwards a bit. It messes a bit with that OCD corner of my brain, but not enough to distract me from how great it looks and feels otherwise.

Y'all can poo-poo it all you want, I think it's a quality piece, easily on par with my 1A. :D

AnniversaryValks.jpg

While the wing has a definite intentional curve to it, I also think there's a bit of extra upward bend being put into place by the tightness of the lock fit on the wing roots to the legs and the way the root locking peg is angled. It notably cants the legs (and thusly the wings, thrusters, and landing gear) outward and upwards a bit. It messes a bit with that OCD corner of my brain, but not enough to distract me from how great it looks and feels otherwise.

Nice QuinJester! Finally got to open yours huh? B)) Looking at your pic, the DX VF-25F actually made the Yamato VF-1A looks plain when it comes to the details.

Just got my DX Ozma yesterday afternoon. After my 'adventures' in modding Alto's ride, I wasn't too keen to do the same for Ozma. Surprisingly, the toy feels much 'nicer' in the hands compared to the Alto. I mean the parts are almost exactly the same, but I think the gray molded plastic just seems more solid compared to the bright whites.

And strangely enough, the 'no neck' didn't bother me at all... you just have to tilt the chest plate forward enough to give some clearance, then make use of the waist joint to put the battroid into a more aggressive forward-leaning pose. Sure, the wimpy head lasers suck, but I can probably figure out a fix the next time I hit a hobby parts store.

Foot mod? Thigh mod? Like I said, really don't feel like doing those for Ozma... "Gerwalk just takes up too much space anyway!" :-D

Vostok 7

HOW DARE YOU! If it wasn't for bandai resurrecting the macross frontier license we'd be back in the days where a 20 year old toy cost over a grand and only the rick or lucky could own one! Why, bandai has sacrificed so much for us you should be ashamed for daring to judge bandai!

:lol:

HOW DARE YOU! If it wasn't for bandai resurrecting the macross frontier license we'd be back in the days where a 20 year old toy cost over a grand and only the rick or lucky could own one! Why, bandai has sacrificed so much for us you should be ashamed for daring to judge bandai!

:lol:

"I'll get you yet, Rick Hunter!" :lol:

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

AnniversaryValks.jpg

hah! they are standing on ashley wood's bertie bot art work love the art sorry for the off topic a bit :D