Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

I hope there is a reasonable price tag on this on becase after looking at(oh I forgot his name) SDF-1, I am jealous. It might not be big as the 1/2000 but it won't break the bank, and would not take up space. :mellow:

I could see Yamato's SDF-1 being more expensive than Bandai's Quarter. The Quarter was likely produced in greater numbers, and marketed to a fresh audience right after Frontier had aired. Despite the show's popularity, and the toy being pretty freakin' sweet, it seemed to get bargain binned pretty quickly.

Still, here's hoping. I was ready to shell out $500 for the 1/3000 Macross. I wouldn't be willing to spend the same for the 1/2000 version.

Guest sh002

hopefully this is a toy, not an exclusive, not overpriced, and there will be a tv version as well. i will buy both.

The 1/2000 was much larger and web exclusive. Also priced well out of the range of any sane human being who is not independently wealthy.

This smaller version was announced shortly after the limited release of the 1/2000 kit, at the same time I think they also announced a rerelease of the still extremely overpriced 1/2000 kit.

The 1/2000 was much larger and web exclusive. Also priced well out of the range of any sane human being who is not independently wealthy.

This smaller version was announced shortly after the limited release of the 1/2000 kit, at the same time I think they also announced a rerelease of the still extremely overpriced 1/2000 kit.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Honestly, if I were independently wealthy, I would go for that 1/2000. It's a beauty.

For now, I will be MORE THAN HAPPY with a 1/3000 SDF-1. From the looks of it, this could be the best version of the Battle Fortress ever produced. I'm stoked. And broke. :)

• 2 weeks later...

YES. I will totally buy this. If it has decent gimmicks I'd even pay up to $300.

Web Exclusive "TV mode" accessory pack anyone? :lol:

the only way I'd even consider spending $300 on something like this is if it was the TV SDF-1, and came with TV style ARMD's that you can swap out for the Daedalus and Prometheus. now that would be sweet. :p

the only way I'd even consider spending $300 on something like this is if it was the TV SDF-1, and came with TV style ARMD's that you can swap out for the Daedalus and Prometheus. now that would be sweet. :p

That would be F*@king sweet!

Here is another size comparison I posted earlier...

Wow all this time and years I had it since I was a kid. I always wondered what scale it is but now I do, so a 1/3000 scale DYRL version won't be bad as long the price is reasonable. You hear me Yamato $299.99 is reasonable enough.

I'm pretty impressed the way Yamato salvaged the SDF-1 project. The 1/2000 SDF-1 ended up as a failed prototype. Instead of shelving it entirely they pushed ahead with the expensive self built kit which now has lead to a smaller mass production versions. Well done, curious what price it will end up at. A bit taller then the Quarter it shouldn't be that much more expensive. I guess a price tag between 20,000 and 30,000 yen would make it accessible to most Macross toy collectors.

Hell I'd be happy for carriers that will go on the DYRL arms. I do prefer the TV color scheme, too, but like the DYRL detail. If one of these is ever cheap enough could see getting one for a repaint.

I'm pretty impressed the way Yamato salvaged the SDF-1 project. The 1/2000 SDF-1 ended up as a failed prototype. Instead of shelving it entirely they pushed ahead with the expensive self built kit which now has lead to a smaller mass production versions. Well done, curious what price it will end up at. A bit taller then the Quarter it shouldn't be that much more expensive. I guess a price tag between 20,000 and 30,000 yen would make it accessible to most Macross toy collectors.

How did it fail? They sold out of the first run and they sold out the second run.

How did it fail? They sold out of the first run and they sold out the second run.

I think he means as a prototype for an affordable mass produced toy...which by all accounts it did, which is why they went the limited model/resin type route for the 1/2000 scale before moving on to the smaller 1/3000 we're drooling over now.

-b.

I think he means as a prototype for an affordable mass produced toy...which by all accounts it did, which is why they went the limited model/resin type route for the 1/2000 scale before moving on to the smaller 1/3000 we're drooling over now.

-b.

I don't recall anywhere that it was officially announced as a mass produced toy with an affordable price point. The 500$ price point that we kept talking about was our speculation only.

In any event, I passed on the Quarter to get this and I'm more than happy with how the whole thing turned out. The only way I'll buy this is if they sell it.

I don't recall anywhere that it was officially announced as a mass produced toy with an affordable price point. The 500$ price point that we kept talking about was our speculation only.

In any event, I passed on the Quarter to get this and I'm more than happy with how the whole thing turned out. The only way I'll buy this is if they sell it.

Iirc Graham mentioned in the first thread that originally the 1/2000 SDF-1 was a prototype for a toy not a model. But for some reason Yamato cancelled it and created the ABS do-it-yourself kit in an attempt to recoup the development costs. I would need to look up his post to find his exact words if your that interested. As the basis for a toy the 1/2000 certainly did not deliver. I would use the world failure to describe that even if the ABS kit sold beyond expectation.

Edited by Bri

Iirc Graham mentioned in the first thread that originally the 1/2000 SDF-1 was a prototype for a toy not a model. But for some reason Yamato cancelled it and created the ABS do-it-yourself kit in an attempt to recoup the development costs. I would need to look up his post to find his exact words if your that interested. As the basis for a toy the 1/2000 certainly did not deliver. I would use the world failure to describe that even if the ABS kit sold beyond expectation.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

OK, had a long talk on the phone with Yamato last night and here's what I was told.

The $2,000 SDF-1 is an exact replica of Yamato’s prototype and is being marketed as such. It is neither a toy, or a model kit per say.

Each one is being individually built by the prototype maker, not mass produced in a Chinese toy factory. This is why the high cost. I was told that it can often cost a million yen getting prototypes made. Yamato will only be having a small run of these made and had to negotiate quite hard with the maker to get the price they did.

It will be sold unpainted.

It will be sold partially assembled. The major sub-assemblies, such as the ARMDs, body, legs, etc will be pre-assembled and then the customer just has to bolt everything together.

The joints will be ratchet joints and will be made of hard nylon for durability.

The main material IIRC is High Density Polyethylene (HDP), which has excellent tensile strength and impact resistance. I was told it is 6 times stronger than the type of resin used for garage kits. As mentioned, HDP is widely used on cars.

Why are Yamato even selling this? – Well, when they originally had the prototype made, Yamato thought that it would be possible to produce it in ABS at a lower cost. Unfortunately, with the tooling limitations of the toy factories they use, it was not possible to mass produce it. So rather than scrap the whole project and write it off as a loss, they decided to still offer it to those hard-core fans who just had to have a large scale SDF-1.

For those wanting a smaller, more affordable SDF-1, I’ll just say that patience is a virtue and the virtuous are often rewarded.

And yes, for those curious, I have been offered one and call me crazy, but I will probably turn it down, as a) it's too big for my shoebox sized Hong Kong appartment and b) I'd honestly feel guilty about accepting such an expensive gift for free.

Graham

there it is, so you're right

This 1/3000 version seems a lot more reasonable in terms of size, even for people with lots of display room. The 1/2000 version is a bit much and a little too large to stuff into most display cases. I hope this is not a web exclusive item with a high $$ tag.

Is there any word if this is an assembled and painted figure or one of those "do-it-yourself" type of kit?

This 1/3000 version seems a lot more reasonable in terms of size, even for people with lots of display room. The 1/2000 version is a bit much and a little too large to stuff into most display cases. I hope this is not a web exclusive item with a high $ tag.

Is there any word if this is an assembled and painted figure or one of those "do-it-yourself" type of kit?

Wow, Ron, can you post a pic of your avatar picture there with SDF-1? I have not seen that one yet!

What are the scales available again?

I know there is the:

1/2000 Yamato version

1/3000 Yamato version (TBA)

1/3000 Takatoku version

1/4000 Yellow Sub version

1/5000 Imai version (Cruiser and Attack mode)

1/5000 Arii version (Cruiser and Attack mode)

1/5000 Wave version (Movie and Standard colors)

1/6000?

1/7000?

Any other scale?

Edited by Kicker773

This 1/3000 version seems a lot more reasonable in terms of size, even for people with lots of display room. The 1/2000 version is a bit much and a little too large to stuff into most display cases. I hope this is not a web exclusive item with a high $$ tag.

Wow, Ron, can you post a pic of your avatar picture there with SDF-1? I have not seen that one yet!

Ditto I like to know where he got that one too. Did he make that one himself, and what company made the model kit he used?

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

• 4 weeks later...

I hope there is a reasonable price tag on this on becase after looking at(oh I forgot his name) SDF-1, I am jealous. It might not be big as the 1/2000 but it won't break the bank, and would not take up space. :mellow:

Cant admire the beautiful pictures of the SDF-1 cause your avatar is in my face drawing my attention

Edited by Snail00