Wow. Unreal. I mean, I've kind of drifted away from Nintendo, who absolutely owned my childhood, but I still hold a special place in my heart for them. And for so long, Iwata's been the public face of the brand that in passing it feels like a part of my youth went with him. This is awful news. Iwata is definitely someone who will be missed.

When I was much younger my friends & I would stay up all night with the NES fired up, sodas & junk food galore! Mario Bros. Zelda, Metroid, Mike Tyson's Punch out, etc, damn good times!! Thank you for making those memories possible Mr. Iwata, RIP is good sir!

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” —Satoru Iwata.

Would that you had three lives in this world as well, good sir.

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is just as sad when i found out metroid creator passed away in car accident back in the day :(

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I've always been a big Nintendo fanboy but I didn't expect this news to bother so much. Though, mostly, I'm thinking of his family. 55 is really young. How sad.

Yeah, that shocked me. He was not an old man by any stretch, and I hadn't heard anything about health issues before now, so it seemed to come out of nowhere.

this is just as sad when i found out metroid creator passed away in car accident back in the day :(

And the GameBoy creator, and the guy that taught Miyamoto the ropes, and...

It's actually hard to overstate how important Gunpei Yokoi is to Nintendo's history.