Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

When I have a copy of the pilot to go on my shelf next to The Shadow Chronicles, The Sentinels, & Codename Robotech, we'll see who's laughing... Also, I really shouldn't make these decisions drunk...

Edited by Keith

Drunk? Did you click on the $5,000 pledge when you meant to click on $1, Keith? ^_^

Pledge $5,000 or more

VICE ADMIRAL: An incredibly rare experience for anime fans! You'll be given the option to have your likeness made into a background character for the "Robotech Academy" pilot! This character will be animated and move for an indeterminate amount of time, and you'll be able to point to the screen and show your friends that it's you! (NOTE: You will be required to sign a full release form provided by Harmony Gold. HG reserves the right of refusal at its sole discretion). On top of this you'll also receive the Blu-Ray, DVD and digital copy of the "Robotech Academy" pilot, along with an electronic copy of the shooting script and electronic program guide with your name in it.

My dream coming true...

Edit: Someone should buy it and put that Derpy pony who always appear in the background

Edited by Gerli

It's just so bizarre to me for the following reasons:
1) Shadow Chronicles. They claim it was really successful... yet they didn't do a second episode. They said "Hey, if it's successful there will be more" but there wasn't. Then they said "RT:LAM" would conflict so we're holding off. Well, now it seems like RT:LAM will never happen so why aren't they doing Shadow Chronicles #2? Isn't this an admission that Shadow Chronicles one was a failure? If it was a failure, why would we invest in a second project with the same team?

2) There is nothing about what the show would be on the page (at least not when I looked). If you want me to invest, what's the pitch? Right now the pitch is literally "It will be called Robotech!" which is probably the worst pitch ever. What about this show will make it work?

3) $500K is essentially investment chump change. How were they not able to secure that kind of money from traditional avenues? Well, I think #s 1&2 might actually be the answer to that.

At this point they should let RT be what it is and try a new project and call it "the spiritual successor to Robotech" so people will know it won't have any of the mechs or characters (since they only have a smattering of rights to those any way).

Never was into Robotech

Neither would I support a kickstarter project that has little to none chance of getting past harmoney good.

IME maybe 3-5 out off 100 are worth supporting,IMO.

"You want money? What sort of terrorists are you?" :p

That synopsis sounds like a horrible idea for a sequel. And that funding goal is insane. Some of the best independent films have been funded to completion with less money than HG is asking for just a 24 minute pilot!

Yeah, naw...I will never give a penny to Harmony Gold :)

I already feel bad for the people that are going to donate to this. With the same so called "team" making this, it's going to be a bad investment. Hasn't anyone seen what they can produce?

I guess with the so called continued success of the franchise, they still need the free money.

I already feel bad for the people that are going to donate to this. With the same so called "team" making this, it's going to be a bad investment. Hasn't anyone seen what they can produce?

I guess with the so called continued success of the franchise, they still need the free money.

Come on, we should all do it. Jusy imagine the look on the faces of the 5 remaining robotech fans, when they rralize we funded their sequel episode that will go nowhere. And then laugh as we watch the next full Macross series.

Since Shadow Chronicles came out, we've had:

-4 Transformers movies.

-2 Frontier Movies.

-Pacific Rim.

-8 major Marvel Movies.

-5 minutes of newish footage in a Love Live Alive mangle.

I suspect the new Macross series will be out along with its several OVA movies before this Robotech project gets off the drawing board. I don't want to discourage anyone from donating to this. But this is like a few fans trying to resurrect the Oldsmobile car brand that no one really cares for.

BTW...how the HELL did their previous KS reach $1,442,312 when they only needed a goal of $70,000?!

If HG ends up getting millions for this I'm moving to the Azores.

so lets see here, the havent even made a sequel that they been talking about to Shadow Chroncles, yet want to make a new series?

They want to make it with the Sentineals? So they just scrap the new enemys they made for SC?

not really winning me over here.

If Carl Macek was alive and behind this then I'd probably put money into it. I don't like the idea of a 'Academy' storyline, that's something that was also discussed as a Star Trek (Star Trek: Academy) series years ago.

Robotech had a great storyline with their version on protoculture so I think it'd be better if HG went bold and just rebooted the series using fresh characher/mecha designs so they would be free of any legal issues with the licensing from the original Japanese series.

Since Shadow Chronicles came out, we've had:

-4 Transformers movies.

-2 Frontier Movies.

-Pacific Rim.

-8 major Marvel Movies.

-5 minutes of newish footage in a Love Live Alive mangle.

So you're saying that fifteen new Robotech movies came out, and people complain they do nothing with the franchise?

I just noticed they had a video presentation and after watching it I actually have confidence that they could do this right. HG wants to revisit the Sentinels series that was never finished. I'm leaning towards donating but I don't know how much at this time. At least HG keeps it canon and doesn't throw constant series revisions, I'm looking at you Transformers.

If Carl Macek was alive and behind this then I'd probably put money into it. I don't like the idea of a 'Academy' storyline, that's something that was also discussed as a Star Trek (Star Trek: Academy) series years ago.

Robotech had a great storyline with their version on protoculture so I think it'd be better if HG went bold and just rebooted the series using fresh characher/mecha designs so they would be free of any legal issues with the licensing from the original Japanese series.

Carl's widow says this was his idea - not sure if they are just saying that, or if it is true. The short clip really didn't show anything particularly encouraging. I will say it would be interesting to see how they trained the MARS and JUPITER divisions for their attack on reflex point. I would be less interested in the story of Jack Baker and Karen Penn.

All that said, I'm not contributing because the whole point of an investment is getting a return. This project really promises nothing - just a pilot, not even a series. Harmony Gold has produced essentially two pilots that were unfulfilled promises. Their lack of vision and follow through does not encourage me to support this. Sadly, the Sentinels might have received a little support from the Macross community when it was worked on, but with Macross 7 the opportunity was missed.

And before anyone says it, let's be honest, it's not coming out in 2015 or you're really not going to like the kind of sandwich they can make in just a year.

And it will never be Macross, ever again.

Edited by Einherjar