should macross get a remake also

southpaw

Seem to recall we have had this discussion more than a few times over the years.

Personally, I'd say no. The original is a classic and should be left alone, warts and all.

I'd much rather see a new Macross series or OVA rather than remaking the original.

Graham

I dont think the idea of a remake is necessarily a bad thing - IF its done right. Having just watched the first ep of Yamato 2199 I can say without hesitation that THAT is a show that knows what key elements to keep and what to change in order to update it for a new generation. But the show also has a LOT of hardcore yamato fans involved - and the love and knowledge really comes through.

The real litmus test will be the anime adaptation of Gundam the Origin imo, since its a much bigger property with many more hands in the pot, so to speak.

On a technical level, the Macross pachinko/pachislot footage proved that it can be made with more modern animation techniques (heck, the animated intro to the SS/PS1 DYRL game proved this more than anything imo) and personally I feel that a remake can exist just fine alongside the original (the new Fist of the North Star movies didnt stop people from rewatching the original series, after all. Similarly, no-one is saying Evangelion tv is irrelevant just because the Rebuilds exist).

Whether or not its financially viable...well, thats a completely different kettle of fish.

I've always wanted a remake because of the substandard animation. Either Macross The First Animated or just reanimate the original ready for 4k resolution (so they can save on remastering later) with the same audio tracks.

But yeah. There's another thread somewhere just like this.

I've always wanted a remake because of the substandard animation. Either Macross The First Animated or just reanimate the original ready for 4k resolution (so they can save on remastering later) with the same audio tracks.

Ditto on both accounts...more so the latter.

Edit: I just wanted to add (echo what Tochiro was saying) that if works for Neon Genesis Evangelion and Yamato, why not Macross?

Edited by Oihan

I'd rather not see a remake. There's too much temptation to change things while you're in there, either because you're George Lucas and can't leave well enough alone or because it's more marketable some other way.

I sure wouldn't mind a remake. Especially if its based on Macross The First manga.

Why would anyone want to use the same old mono audio tracks?

Because Sgt. Shonen's Exploding Plastic Eastman Band request it:

post-939-0-85580600-1329833254_thumb.jpg

(Also, I'll go out on a limb and say I prefer the 1984 DYRL movie mono mix to the 1992 stereo mix.)

Maybe, but the first one is a much better story then Frontier.

I'm not sure the "new generation" who got into Macross because of Frontier thinks so, though...

Seem to recall we have had this discussion more than a few times over the years.

Me, too.

How does it go? Macross the First is a remake of SDFM:DYRL which is a remake of DYRL which is a remake of SDFM. Or something like that.

I think Kawamori-san will surprise us with a new series, rather than a regurgitation of an old(er) series with a slightly different take on the story. Which is the nice thing about Macross - it doesn't keep trying to sell the same old schlock.

If they could make the story a little more coherent it would be great. The changes made in order to get a second season/more episodes make it lurch along a bit at some spots. New animation, especially for Max and Millia's knife fight scene would be nice as well. (not to mention all those animation errors for Misa)

orly?

This happens every year.

Do I want it remade? No. Will it be remade, regardless? Probably. The entertainment industry likes to fall back on established works cuz they can't think of something new. 'Tis a nasty cycle.

Why not leave well enough alone??

I personally don't care for a remake. It's just another excuse to turn the beloved SK style VF-1 into a Hasegawa-stick like VF-1.

I like my VF-1s on the slightly heftier side. There, I've said it, and proud of it. :wub:

Besides, look at what Macross the First did. While it is cool to look and sure there are slight story changes and all, but all it does is fog up my memory of a time when all Macross pure, as it should be.

Do we really need Macross to be retold in a slightly different way? NO!!

A remake doesn't take away the original. So I don't understand what the problem is.

Seriously its not as if BW/Studio Nue will suddenly start chasing down all old Macross dvds or Toys and burn them.

Remakes if well done can bring new fans to a franchise. Ask a kid today wether they can even watch the original Macross instead of Frontier.

I'll bet 99% will say Frontier just because it looks more modern.

How many can even watch the original Kyashan tv series, or Tekkaman or Ideon ? Even Tomino is looking to reactualise Ideon and its a good thing because such a masterpiece deserves to be well known outside otaku circles.

Same audio tracks as in music and dialogue. Geez. People really need things spelled out here.

The story doesn't need to be retold but it needs to be animated correctly to be enjoyed fully. And DYRL doesn't convey the story as fully as the TV series. If people are satisfied with what they have then don't watch it. But I know these same guys complaining are gonna be the "experts" if they did do it.

I personally don't care for a remake. It's just another excuse to turn the beloved SK style VF-1 into a Hasegawa-stick like VF-1.

Well Hasegawa's VF-1 fighter mode is pretty terrible. However the VF-1 was never meant to be chunky, just sometimes its proportions were exaggerated.

post-1819-0-08389200-1329858219_thumb.jpg

They figured this out back in 1983 :3

I would say - Be careful of what you wish for.

Whenever a remake is made, they always change something. And not always for the better. Some of the cherished elements which we currently hold dear as a fact from the original series could be messed with you know. And how much of a retcon will they add in so that it flows better with Macross Zero and Macross 7?

Heck, it’s not even guaranteed that Kawamori would take the helm. Didn;t Kawamori once state that he doesn't want to revisit the Macross story? Would Mikimoto do the character designs? Would they use Haneda Kentaro’s music?

Frankly, without Kawamori, Iijima Mari, Mikimoto, or Haneda, it wouldn't be quite right to me.

To think they'd just reanimate and keep everything else the same is ridiculous. Never has that been done.

Do you really want the Macross story to be tinkered with? Did Han Solo shoot first or not?

I suppose they could animate Macross First, but that manga series isn;t over yet. And keep in mind that manga doesn't always convert over to anime line for line.

I'm not completely opposed to a remake but as I wrote in the begining - be careful of what you wish for

Edited by Vifam7

Look as I said remake doesn't equate to burning everything thats already out there. If you don't like a remake don't watch it.

Star wars is different because George Lucas actively denies any possibility of the original trilogy ever being shown at the theaters again.

For Macross there just isn't this possiblity. And yes remakes mean tinkering with the property, just like in Battlestar Galactica. That was a remake and even though some fans didn't like it because it wasn't 100% like the old show it still stood on its own and was a better show for it.

Artistic sensibilities of today are different from those of late 70s early 80s era. Even Macross II LA has shown the it is possible to make an engaging Macross show without having Kawamori. So I guess I just don't get all this "the world is ending" vibe if a new reimagining of Macross is to be made.

I kinda wish they would remake robotech from the ground up with newly designed mecha. not because Im a huge robotech fan but maybe it would go good towards separating the macross and robotech properties visually. Possibly even making it easier to get macross stuff in the states if there was less confusion on the look of characters and mecha. I know its not that simple but I think it might solve some problems with macross licensing if harmony gold is no longer pushing a macross based product?

I would say - Be careful of what you wish for.

They're not going to erase our delicious blu rays of SDF Macross if they did a remake ya know.

Kawmaori is not the George Lucas of anime

That's Ryosuke Takahashi :3

And worrying about retcons in Macross (or any series, especially a Japanese one) is so adorable.

I would like to see updated animation to SDFM after seeing what was done for that pachinko game. If any anything it resparked my love for it. Sure, it's not necessary and if you don't agree with it, the original is still there for you, but I think it would be fun to rewatch vf-1s' in the current animation style and also not have color inconsistencies.

I think the real telling thing about how the variations of past events affect the later series is how characters within the shows talk about them.

Alto and friends taking part in the production of a movie about Shin Kudo's story was nothing special to them outside of being exciting because they're gonna get their names in the credits :3

While a remake would no doubt be graphically very pretty, and may even feature some story changes ala Macross the First, I'd still rather see an all new Macross anime, with a new story, new characters and new mecha. Thankfully, Kawamori doesnt seem to have been infected by Hollywood remake-itis so far.

Graham

Look as I said remake doesn't equate to burning everything thats already out there. If you don't like a remake don't watch it.

Star wars is different because George Lucas actively denies any possibility of the original trilogy ever being shown at the theaters again.

To be fair, when the THX remastered yaddayadda home release came out in the 90s, Lucas said it was the last time the original theatrical cut would be available EVER in any form whatsoever.

GRANTED, he wound up releasing DVDs with Laserdisk rips to spite people, but still!

Anyways, even IF a remake could be guaranteed to go right, it still takes away from chances for a NEW Macross production, and adds confusion to the franchise. First and DYRL are arguably ignorable, given DYRL's abridged nature and First's being comics instead of cartoons. A new TV series going back over Space War 1 wouldn't be ignorable in the same way.

And as far as not taking the old ones away from us... I've got experience with that on the video game front.

I'm still sick of having to explain that I mean NES Ninja Gaiden and not XBox Ninja Gaiden, fine game though it is.

The horrid abuses of my beloved SegaCD Lunar games have left a corner of my heart dark, black, and cold and most people only KNOW that franchies from the PS1, GBA, or Althena forbid, PSP version of things.

And EA can take Deus Ex Syndicate FPS and shove it up their butts, I was sick of hearing of THAT one before it even came out.

It may not take AWAY the old one, but it can take away FROM the old one.

I ask: Do you WANT to have to explain which version of Macross you mean when you're talking about the Space War 1 story arc? We've already got three different versions of it to deal with(SDF, DYRL, First)(No, I don't actually know how First goes, I just assume it's not a straight port of SDF or DYRL).

And if the new one goes wrong, will you really be able to pretend it never happened with people reminding you of it every time that period in the franchise comes up?

Don't beat the dead horse. Do something new instead.

So how do you explain how Plus the OVA and Plus the movie change things? Can you really ignore that? Can you ignore how Frontier the TV series, the two movies, the novels, and the manga are different? All these things are working their way into the fandom discussion and they aren't going away.

People are smart. They can figure it out and if they are confused, we can talk about it on this forum thing we have that Shawn pays for.

The only two proper Macrosses that didn't get remade are 7 and Zero. One is the only full year Macross series and the other is an OVA that was made to be an OVA unlike Plus which was envisioned as a movie.

Granted it's a little weird having the original Macross remade in animation a third (or fourth with the pachinko game) but how does that take away from what was already made?

We can deal with Robotech ruining our lives forever, so how can a remake do that any worse?

Focusing on the negative isn't how you achieve L O V E HAPPY MINMAY