VC-33 Mom's kitchen Model Kit

tundrayeti

vc-33 Mom's kitchen model  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What Scale should I do this in?

You know, this might be a stupid question, but what the heck..

I've been anxious to someday get into the CAD/3D printing world and finally get some of my custom designs made up, or just to make my own parts for things. I need to do a lot of research before I start obviously, but I'm curious.

What's the most cost effective way to do a kit from a 3D printing? I mean, I get the impression that the materials do need some cleanup afterward, but in general, is it better to print a master and recast it, or could you just build a kit up from printed parts?

I mean, I don't know the first thing about recasting, but I'd love to print myself pieces to build desk models of some of the various 3D models I have. I doubt I would make a lot of them, but I might want more than one, so how would the overall costs compare between straight printed models, or recasts?

You know, this might be a stupid question, but what the heck..

I've been anxious to someday get into the CAD/3D printing world and finally get some of my custom designs made up, or just to make my own parts for things. I need to do a lot of research before I start obviously, but I'm curious.

What's the most cost effective way to do a kit from a 3D printing? I mean, I get the impression that the materials do need some cleanup afterward, but in general, is it better to print a master and recast it, or could you just build a kit up from printed parts?

I mean, I don't know the first thing about recasting, but I'd love to print myself pieces to build desk models of some of the various 3D models I have. I doubt I would make a lot of them, but I might want more than one, so how would the overall costs compare between straight printed models, or recasts?

I don't think it's a stupid question, it's more one of those hard ones to answer, like which band is better, or what car is best. You will get different answers from everyone. Personally for me there are several tricks that I use to make my process more cost effective. Hollowing out your solid areas is one of the easiest.

As far as cleanup, It depends on the process you use and the printer. Just like cell phones and laptops, the latest greatest high resolution stuff is always pricier. I have seen some 3d prints that are so clean, that you can see the layers. Of course I don't have thousands of dollars to put into the prototype, since I only make small production runs, but for the big companies, its justifiable.

Last year I met with Frank Winspur, president of Moebius models and he was a great guy to talk to who was very passionate about what he does. Like most of us, he uses 3d printing to make his prototypes, and it was done on an Objet printer with very good result, but you could still see the layers. He of course has a team of workers who clean them up. I got to see the 1/32 scale cylon prototype, the bat cycle from the new movies and he even had a small scale BSG Colonial one that he had done as a concept. Very cool stuff!.

So this is the future.

As for materials, do some research, as you have been doing. Many companies will send you samples for free or little cost. Most of the manufacturers of 3d printers will also send you samples. Make some inquiries and see what you can get your hands on.

Of course the best printers or detail, is no good unless you can make your models detailed. that takes time, and practice. Please feel free to PM me with any questions, I have no trouble helping out someone who is interested in this.

Edited by tundrayeti

I don't think it's a stupid question, it's more one of those hard ones to answer, like which band is better, or what car is best. You will get different answers from everyone. Personally for me there are several tricks that I use to make my process more cost effective. Hollowing out your solid areas is one of the easiest.

As far as cleanup, It depends on the process you use and the printer. Just like cell phones and laptops, the latest greatest high resolution stuff is always pricier. I have seen some 3d prints that are so clean, that you can see the layers. Of course I don't have thousands of dollars to put into the prototype, since I only make small production runs, but for the big companies, its justifiable.

Last year I met with Frank Winspur, president of Moebius models and he was a great guy to talk to who was very passionate about what he does. Like most of us, he uses 3d printing to make his prototypes, and it was done on an Objet printer with very good result, but you could still see the layers. He of course has a team of workers who clean them up. I got to see the 1/32 scale cylon prototype, the bat cycle from the new movies and he even had a small scale BSG Colonial one that he had done as a concept. Very cool stuff!.

So this is the future.

As for materials, do some research, as you have been doing. Many companies will send you samples for free or little cost. Most of the manufacturers of 3d printers will also send you samples. Make some inquiries and see what you can get your hands on.

Of course the best printers or detail, is no good unless you can make your models detailed. that takes time, and practice. Please feel free to PM me with any questions, I have no trouble helping out someone who is interested in this.

And this is a perfect example of why I love this forum so damn much. Everyone helping each other out on projects and sharing their knowledge. Awesome stuff Tundrayeti.

Thanks, Hey we all had to learn from somewhere. In the end It's all about the hobby. I don't do this to make money. Everything I make from these kits goes to the next one, so we all benefit from sharing. Who knows what Chronocidal could come up with if only he had the right tools at his disposal. Ultimately, all this came about because I was unhappy with what was avaliable to Macross fans, and Sci Fi in general. So I made my own stuff, and eventually, people started to notice and the rest is history. I've met a LOT of excellent folks on this Forumn, and I always love to see what comes out of the imaginations of the people on this site. We all have to get inspired from somewhere.

I have to agree with all the above! I don't spend a lot of time on the PC at home (I'm on it ALL DAY at work, so why the heck would I)? BUT, what time I do spend is HERE on this forum and model shopping online. I've learned a great deal and met some great people too! I've even had opportunity to meet some in person amking it even better.

What can I say, next to the latest greatest Macross kits we have to have, you guys are the greatest!!! Sorry, yes, I did put plastic before you guys :rolleyes: - MT

I don't do this to make money.

Actually it's not an industry at all that you get into to make money, many garage kit producers tend to forget this. The numbers just aren't there!

Anyway, looking forward to the first physical prototype!

Yep, making money off this is the farthest thing possible from my mind. :lol: I really just want to be able to order custom made parts to make up for what the modeling world has seemingly forgotten. ^_^

Case in point.. I want some Wing Commander ships. Specifically, a WC1 Rapier, and WCIII Excalibur. The Rapier might be interesting, but the amusing thing about the Excalibur (or most other ships from that game) is that they were about as close as you can get to a purely polygonal fighter design. It's just a bunch of boxes, and you can get a nearly perfect representation of it in only a couple thousand faces.

Plus, there's the odd custom part I may want to make to improve or fix a styrene kit i have. In this case, the actual modeling process is the least of my worries, because I've always had the knack for making models that are too detailed to work well in games.. it sometimes takes a few years for the hardware to catch up to the detail level. While I've generally worked without making things truly solid, making solid hollowed out objects to print shouldn't be too big a jump.

I think my biggest concern is just the specifics of the materials, which will probably vary by who prints them. Things like, how brittle/flexible/etc the plastic is, whether it can be painted easily or needs a lot of primer, whether it can be glued to other plastics, whether the sanding dust is toxic, etc. Plus the question of how big I can make pieces.

I do get the impression that you can get pretty sturdy plastic, since we have people printing their own VF-1 shoulder hinges now, but I would hate to get a bunch of pieces, and discover they warp if you leave them under a desk lamp for too long. Ideally, what I'd love is if I can just order parts in the mail, then clean them up, slap them together, and paint them up into a display model. :) I get the impression there's a bit more trial and error to getting the printing process right, but I can deal with that.

Edited by Chronocidal

That's pretty much how it starts. You can't find what you like, so you make your own stuff pretty soon your making kits. Send me a PM Chrono, i'll give you my email and I can get you started. I can tell you my experiancees with the different materials out there, heck I'm still playing with new materials myself.

Okay another quick update while I am waiting for the masters. I have been kicking it around, and I AM going to include decals with this kit. Here is a preview. It will only add 5 bucks to the kit. I will also give the option of not including them. So the price will be $115 with decals, $110 without, plus shipping.

post-7782-0-02456000-1334708833_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see the masters.

Wait's over! here are the first shots of the masters. I have all the parts, but i'm waiting for the paint to dry on the smaller parts. I have already done some prep work on the engines and the other parts as they were printed in a translucent material that does not like the camera. The light coat of paint makes the details pop so you guys can see them better. Have some shots of the engines and the vents in the flight and the VTOL position. everything looks really good, I'm happy with how they came out. the wings fit snug as do the rear stabilizers. they are a little warped, but some warm water will fix that. A little sanding and primer to the main fuselage and we are good to go. I also included some flight deck shots.

So ENJOY!!! At this time preorders will be taken. I will have at least 15 of these bad boys for WonderFest. Please PM me with your pre-order, or you can drop a nore here. I will be keeping this thread open so progress can be seen on the masters and the casting as well.

I will try to post pics of the smaller parts tomorrow. as always feel free to let your opinion be known!

post-7782-0-10148500-1335325352_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-33238800-1335325432_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-12793100-1335325583_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-24356400-1335325634_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-03889300-1335325692_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-49192400-1335325735_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-94305900-1335325790_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-94976300-1335325836_thumb.jpg

Amazing to see the results of your long work. I guess that's the 1/100 model?

It is nice to see in in the physical world and not the Virtual one. Thanks. This is 1/72 scale, since that pretty much won the poll hands down. I will eventually be doing this in 1/100 for myself and a few others. As for 1/48, 1/60 etc etc....we will see. It is possible, but that would be pricey. I did try to keep the price down on this one.

You either have really big hands or the model looks a bit small for 1/72 scale??

They don't call me yeti for nothin. :D Lets just say I can never go into a jewelry store and find a ring size that will fit.

I'll post some pics with some 1/72 scale figs from Hasegawa. i did a 2d printout with them in a previous post and it looked okay.

Hi!

I know I'm really late, but, I just discovered this topic.

Could I have one in 1/72, please?

I'd like to send the monney with paypal, can I ?

Neko you are definitely not late. I'm just taking pre-orders at this time, payment will be due once the castings are made which will be in the next few weeks. I plan on having a few of these at Wonderfest which will take place on Memorial day weekend. I actually prefer paypal, So send me a PM and I will put you down for one.

That's totally awesome man! Congrats and I'm sure you'll sell the lot at WF! Can you print one in 1/350 :D ? - MT

Lol one of the reasons I have been so busy lately is that I have been doing masters for others. I just did a 1/350 scale death star trench diorama with Darth Vaders' tie (gotta love Iphone's spell check), and y- wings and it came out great. Send me PM and I'll see what I can do. I'll have to make it all one piece of course....

Edited by tundrayeti